test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

This is not what i learnt from Tank School!!

enneaennea Member Posts: 41
edited June 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
When i went to tank school, the teacher said, be tough, be strong, be brave and face the boss with courage.

I play a tank. A Tank to take the biggest beating from the mightiest Dragons/cyclops/Spiders/Beholders/(Insert mean monstrosity here). But every time i lead my brave party to the deepest dungeon depths and we stare down the evil boss, this conversation takes place.

Tank: Okay guys, whats our strategy?
Everyone else in group: Tank on adds.
PUNYROGUEWITHNOMUSCLES: Dont worry ill tank boss <<<<<<<<< DID NOT GO TO TANK SCHOOL

**** you. I did not have posters of Heroes doing add control every fight, I want to tank the BOSS !!!! Let punyroguewithnomuscles dps adds , and dropout2handertank do the off-tanking for half the glory. I play a Tank , I want my glory !!!
Post edited by ennea on

Comments

• Options
    llfritzllllfritzll Member Posts: 215 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    tanks dont have enough damage mitigation to take a boss and adds.

your block meter will break and you will get pummeled.

adds in general are more of a threat than the boss, so yeah.
  • Options
    powereddjinnpowereddjinn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    :rolleyes:

d&d tanks have always been canon fodder, merely blocking the corridor/doorway, while the mage does strange things with his hands, and eventually kills everything in sight (or banishes them to some obscure plane of existence)

Seriously:
    it would be nice if a Tank could keep everything's attention while us squishes do all the dirty work :)
  • Options
    cilginordekcilginordek Member Posts: 459 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Two words: Enchanced Mark
    It actually works after patch, with it I can pull both adds and boss, and when its reloading I use Knights Valor for even more threat. I do it when playing with my cleric friend though, because if you're not being supported, you won't last long with everthing attacking you.

Edit: I think this post should be in Class Forum Barracks
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    /cough Friends that did not go to Tank school, The idea of playing a tank is to be the beefcake uno numeros sexy beast glory munching character in the game. Im not talking about strategy, or builds. (Btw have no problem taking all the adds and boss aggro, and yes the guard meter wont last) But thats not the point.

The issue is , every **** fight has no GLORY!!! You dont want adventurers in a dungeon proceeding to defeat a boss in a sensible way like you read from a book. Every fight is designed to have your main muscleman cleaning up the minions of the boss, while your wimpy teammates are in face to face action with the Boss. Do people not understand that dungeons should be designed with the same premise as the roles you decide to pick when you first create your alter ego?!!?

The way it is now, Dungeons are designed so that a player that approach the game and went, hmm i want to dps and be sneaky , becomes Whatt IM THE MAN , I R dodge boss attacks and soloooooo.... YOLO BABBYYYY YEAHHHHH WIN ! Then the person who wanted to lead groups and be the thing that stands in the way of the bosses , gets relegated to thrash master.
  • Options
    llfritzllllfritzll Member Posts: 215 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    ive tanked plenty in other mmo games, the simple fact of the matter is this game has designed boss fights differently.

i would tend to agree with your sentiment, i enjoyed being the tank up front who can handle all the abuse while my squishy friends went pew pew behind me. it was fun.

that is just not how this game works, which is why i have no desire to play a tank here. in this game the main threat are the waves of adds overwhelming the group and as the groups tank its your job to intercept them.

anyone can dodge out of the red circles from the boss, but most people cant deal with a dozen adds beating on them.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    By the way if anyone played warhammer online, think upon the dungeon called Lost Vale and final boss was called In'Kari. Now in'kari had no adds when you first start the boss, but alternates 2 phases.
    In first phase , he cast a room wide frontal CLEAVE that one shots all non tanks . Has aoe that covers 95% of all floors, and Gravity lifts everyone in the group except the tank.
    In second phase, 6 orbs are moving at a high pace around the room, 3 blue 3 red, if you get the blue you get more dmg, if you get the red you get more hp. And 6 adds spwn (not 1238971239) These adds will kill your backend, with burst dmg, but anyone can tank them.. if you get the right orb. Meanwhile the boss just no longer aoe's or gravity flux, But one hits if you do not have the red orb. The orb only last 30 seconds, the fight last 1 min . at the 20 second mark give or take, another orb spwns. Think about it .

Now Everyone is the hero in this fight if you can do your job well. But dammit the tank feels glory like never before everytime you down the boss.
  • Options
    therealtedtherealted Member Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    How is standing toe-to-toe with just one schmoe more glorious than wading into a sea of enemies? :confused:

The gorilla formerly known as Kolikos
  • Options
    cloud990plcloud990pl Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    GF is more useful to take ads on himself than standing in front of the boss and take AoE dmg on himself (AoE can be easily evaded by TR/CW/DC not sure about GWF).
    But if there is boss that deals mainly physical dmg then you're right GF should be the one tanking boss. Its better to avoid AoE than take it,didn't they teach you that at tanking school?
  • Options
    griffin230griffin230 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 88
    edited June 2013
    Think of it this way. You either tank an easy, lumbering boss that most people can run rings around, or you attempt to hold back and fight through an overwhelming army of murderous hellspawn released from the gates of hell. Which do you think is more heroic ? :p
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Killing the boss is always more glorious when his face falls over and kisses your feet. Killing the adds is for the crybaby healers.
  • Options
    healhappyhealhappy Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 92
    edited June 2013
    ennea wrote: »
    Killing the boss is always more glorious when his face falls over and kisses your feet. Killing the adds is for the crybaby healers.

I can assure you, if we healers can get rid of adds by ourselves without the help from other players who are more concerned about keeping everyone alive than having an epic one to one with the boss, you won't be joining any dungeon with us. Because well, if we can kill adds while tanking all the damages by ourselves, everyone will be rolling clerics.

Alas, we could not because that is not how the game should be, so you'll have to be bear with us crying for help while we try to save your hide. That or you can try go solo with your best bud, the red potion.
  • Options
    werealchemistwerealchemist Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    +1 this thread made me lol
    21.jpg
  • Options
    jeepinjeepin Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Im only lvl 46. I spec'd for pure tanking and threat. But it seems to me that the inability to single target taunt (AOE mark that adds threat to all the mobs) Hurts the ability to tank adds. Classic example of this is on one of the dragons (not Mad Dragon...) There are trappers that pull you back into the Dragon. No amount of tauning and running to seperate mobs was going to happen since Every time I would taunt it was AOE and I'd pull the dragon as well. Then the trappers pull you back into it. I tried several strategies, but ultimately, the mechanics weren't in my favor for my tanking style. I was fail that day. If you could single target taunt, then you could pull mobs 1 by 1 to the area you need or have others get aggro from the boss (in this case the dragon) and pull him away from ME so I can stand and hold the adds. It reminds me alot like Thunder Clap from WoW, only make Thunder Clap your taunt.... And the cool down is actually horrible (20-30 seconds I believe) I do well enough that I use my stuns and knockbacks to kind of help mitigate damage and use potions and cool downs. But It really comes down to the mechanics of the game vs the Tank abilities.
  • Options
    dkcandydkcandy Member Posts: 1,555 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Why are you not tanking the Boss?

I'm a GF and how it works is like this:

I tell my group I'm tanking Boss and will keep aggro.

I tell TR he will DPS Boss & Elites if they get out of control.

I tell GWF & CW they will deal with ADDs as they both do more AoE dmg and control than a GF.

I tell the Cleric to focus heals on CW & GWF and toss a heal on me & TR when possible.

---
    Runs go smooth and bosses are easy.

Also my Boss Encounters: Knights Challenge, Lunge & Anvil. (Keep mark up with Threatening Rush, use Knights challenge when drop aggro, lunge when have to run out of red circle, spam anvil when possible.)
  • Options
    zombieelviszombieelvis Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Funny thing, lately I've been in groups where the tank keeps circling around the boss to stand next to me. I play a TR and I'm thinking, "Seriously?"

I NEED that combat advantage yo ;)
  • Options
    vam1r4t3vam1r4t3 Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    healhappy wrote: »
    That or you can try go solo with your best bud, the red potion.

Ah red potion, thou art a fickle mistress, never being off cooldown at the correct time....
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Funny thing, lately I've been in groups where the tank keeps circling around the boss to stand next to me. I play a TR and I'm thinking, "Seriously?"

Sometimes the GF will have to move from some frontal cone attacks you don't want to attempt to block. But yes, the GF should keep the Combat Advantage up as much as possible.
  • Options
    tarmalentarmalen Member Posts: 1,020 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013

Most likely he is trying to get the boss to face away from the party. You need to adjust:P
  • Options
    moskibearmoskibear Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    gameplay mechanics aside, I do agree with the OP. I kind of picked a GF because I wanted to be that little stout hero with a big *** shield warding off smelly and fiery dragonbreath as I stand toe to to with him, while others bring the mighty beast down.

Nothing of that in Neverwinter, as every bossfight is designed around having a *lot* of adds rather than having an intellectual bossfight with some mechanics. no I am not expecting to have a duel of sphinx riddles with the beast but lord, some creativity would have been welcome for a LOT of those fights.

At first I didnt notice, I was blind enough by the beat-em up attitude that actually was rather enjoying (but if you want an actual beat-em up Chronicles of Mystara is a better choice right now I would say). After a while I just started to painfully notice most fights are just about add control and avoiding AOEs
  • Options
    kalizaarkalizaar Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    hehe.. Tank School. I like it.

I totally understand what OP is saying and agree with it. However griffin230 does make kind of a good point about wading in to take on a horde of baddies.

I guess in my MMO experience I've enjoyed two types of tanking scenarios. Sometimes I like the idea of being able to wade through a mass of baddies and laugh hysterically while they try and tickle me. Other times I enjoy the ultimate battle of wrestling big bad mamba-jamba to keep my party safe while the little piddly beasties get wiped out by someone else. And when I think about it more it seems like those are really two different types of tank characters, not just one that does them both.
  • Options
    aiineaiine Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited June 2013

I tell GWF & CW they will deal with ADDs as they both do more AoE dmg and control than a GF.

I tell the Cleric to focus heals on CW & GWF and toss a heal on me & TR when possible.

---

This post is full of win and how it should be done. I've broken off the boss to burn down adds and its just fine. Deeps can't be lazy either
  • Options
    moskibearmoskibear Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    it definitely works! it is just that many people I met ingame refuse to use that method at all, I guess they are too used to the "usual" way. also GWFs seem to be slowly returning so that may help for the add control bigtime.
  • Options
    griz024griz024 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 138 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    griffin230 wrote: »
    Think of it this way. You either tank an easy, lumbering boss that most people can run rings around, or you attempt to hold back and fight through an overwhelming army of murderous hellspawn released from the gates of hell. Which do you think is more heroic ? :p

This! Not to sound dickish, but it sounds like you want to play wow. Wow has the tanking mechanics you are looking for- stand in front of boss mindlessly cycling through your rotation. I am making a tank in this game purely b/c i tank the adds. When i play on my tr groups wipe b/c of adds, rarely due to the boss. So it makes sense that the tank would control the biggest threat- aka adds.
  • Options
    healhamstahealhamsta Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 572 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    ennea wrote: »
    PUNYROGUEWITHNOMUSCLES: Dont worry ill tank boss <<<<<<<<< DID NOT GO TO TANK SCHOOL

**** you. I did not have posters of Heroes doing add control every fight, I want to tank the BOSS !!!! Let punyroguewithnomuscles dps adds , and dropout2handertank do the off-tanking for half the glory. I play a Tank , I want my glory !!!

Everyone digs the puny rogue hamster with mustache.
    smiling-hamster-with-tophat-moustache-and-monocle-17915-1305748089-26.jpg
    Delve loot murdered my TR, DC, & GWF. Nerf Plox:
    I know that it sucks to no longer get gear to sell from the Dungeon Delve chest but it was truly overpowered.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    griz024 wrote: »
    This! Not to sound dickish, but it sounds like you want to play wow. Wow has the tanking mechanics you are looking for- stand in front of boss mindlessly cycling through your rotation. I am making a tank in this game purely b/c i tank the adds. When i play on my tr groups wipe b/c of adds, rarely due to the boss. So it makes sense that the tank would control the biggest threat- aka adds.

When you get to 60 as a GF see how many "add's you can control. :P

CW's Singularity controls the add's just fine and what you need is a good AoE class (GWF) that can burn those add's down or in some fights another CW that pushes the add's off a cliff.

The GF should be on the Boss giving the TR Combat Advantage, debuffing boss, buffing TR and keeping the attention of the boss. This way the TR can burn the boss down as fast as possible with least amount of risk. If add's spawn on the boss or TR, GF grabs those add's attention and drags them over to the CW & GWF.

Once you learn how the game was really designed it makes the boss fights trivial.
  • Options
    poisonyann1poisonyann1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    dkcandy wrote: »

---

Also my Boss Encounters: Knights Challenge, Lunge & Anvil. (Keep mark up with Threatening Rush, use Knights challenge when drop aggro, lunge when have to run out of red circle, spam anvil when possible.)

This is EXACTLY what a great party will do, tank on boss usually needs no healing at all, can move out of the slow stuff and block the fast hits.

The main problem that most parties have is the CW, tons of them are speccing for damage and not control, and thats when your GF is forced to go for adds instead. It all comes down to the individual specs of people in your team, and adapting to fit their roles.
    I can tank all the melee adds as a GWF everywhere I've been, and I'm not even defensively built. The GFs I'm paired with usually see this and go for the biggest one in the room and make the rest of the party safer.
    ;) Check out Malabog's Defense, my first good-length foundy : NW-DOPJBTXO9 :cool:
  • Options
    nebbiosadonzellanebbiosadonzella Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    dkcandy wrote: »

CWs who do control? Surely you jest.
  • Options
    osiabunnyosiabunny Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Why can't I stand behind a tank and not take damage, it's ruining my roleplay :( I demand tanks stop the damage with their bodies :P Let us use them as a meat shield.