test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

18 Hours, really?????????

thepresident777thepresident777 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited June 2013 in PvE Discussion
Borrrriiiiinnnnnnngggggggg.

You know of course that I am reffering to the amount of time it takes to hire a hireling. Crafting is all about hiring hiring hirelings. Just click and walk away foo 18 hours, for weeks. Who the hell thought that would be fun?

Plz fix. Boring mechnics is broken because it is BOOOOOOOOOORRRRIIINNNGGGGGGGG. Games are supposed to be fun.
Post edited by thepresident777 on

Comments

• Options
    flyingfinnflyingfinn Member Posts: 6,694 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    You know, you can do the 'fun' stuff while waiting.....
    _______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    lerdocixlerdocix Member Posts: 897 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Play the game and don't stare at timer?
    If you want it faster, visit AH.
  • Options
    djleberdjleber Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    set it overnight...thats what i do, sleep + work = around 18 hrs for me so i have no issues
  • Options
    healhamstahealhamsta Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 572 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013

You know of course that I am reffering to the amount of time it takes to hire a hireling. Crafting is all about hiring hiring hirelings. Just click and walk away foo 18 hours, for weeks. Who the hell thought that would be fun?

Plz fix. Boring mechnics is broken because it is BOOOOOOOOOORRRRIIINNNGGGGGGGG. Games are supposed to be fun.

Not quite sure what you are "reffering" to but me can gather that you're talking about the crafting system.
    (.-.)

Crafting is about crafting, not hiring workers.
    Just play the rest of the game or go on with whatever life you have. You don't have to stare at the computer for 18 hours doing nothing.
    Also there's a little thing Neverwinter has called gateway: https://gateway.playneverwinter.com/

& if you really want to craft ceramics, metalworking, glassworking, etc are all pretty easy to learn & pretty fun.
    Delve loot murdered my TR, DC, & GWF. Nerf Plox:
    I know that it sucks to no longer get gear to sell from the Dungeon Delve chest but it was truly overpowered.
  • Options
    kotlikotli Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 577
    edited June 2013
    You do know that Crafting counts down in real time no matter if your log on or not, so use the longer crafting times for when your not playing that character and the short ones for when you are.
  • Options
    degraafinationdegraafination Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Just by the green rank 3's from the AH. Saves you about 1/2 the time.
    PWP_zpsf8f711ce.jpg
    Join Essence of Aggression: PVP-ing Hard Since Beta!
  • Options
    traciatim1traciatim1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 38
    edited June 2013

I really like the 18 hour time frame. I set it before I go to sleep as my last item of the day, and when I get home from work it's ready for the next round of play time where I can do the shorter and more interactive stuff while I am actually playing the game.
  • Options
    fyendiarfyendiar Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 39
    edited June 2013
    It all comes down to taste really. Some love this system because it means they don't have to "waste" (in their eyes) time on crafting manually. They love the fact that they can send out minions to do their bidding even though, it's just text on your screen. Others, myself included hate this system because we like to manually craft. I like to go out gathering and prefer to see my character hammering on an anvil to make the next item.

Both systems have their value for different type of players. I still tell the game to craft for me (seriously, you just tell it to craft, you don't craft a thing) and so far have a lvl 20 mailsmith, 15 blacksmith, 12 leatherworker and a bunch of around lvl 12 leadership characters. I do it, but don't enjoy it. Now my mailsmith is max level and I see all the good gear need dragon eggs which I have yet to find a single one I basicly stopped working on that craft. In the end only leadership is worth anything.

This system to me is boring as hell and feels completely and utterly useless as it is now.
  • Options
    nornsavantnornsavant Member Posts: 311 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I think the boring part comes from having so little to do.

STO has a similar system except that when it begins, I get 23 people that I can use. Then I get a list of around 10 activities, some of them take as little as 30-45 minutes, some are measured in days. Then I try to assign my people as intelligently as I can to reduce the failure chance of the activity. Then I let them go and get back to playing.

But I know that a few of those are coming back soon and more will be back later. They have names and skills and personality traits that apply to the activities. I am more engaged with the system. In Neverwinter I get one guy, no name, no nothing. Just one anonymous faceless fellow and I have to use that one guy for quite a while before I even have a chance to get another. When that chance comes, I have to use my one guy to recruit another faceless guy putting him out of commission for 18 hours and leaving me with nothing. No engagement, no nothing.

The whole expedience feels like a punishment, an uphill battle wherein I am wondering how hard I am going to have to work at this before it becomes fun or even interesting.

And in a deep and abiding irony, Cryptic made both systems. Did they just not put an ounce of thought into the current one? Or did they just get audaciously lucky on the former?
  • Options
    traciatim1traciatim1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 38
    edited June 2013
    nornsavant wrote: »
    The whole expedience feels like a punishment, an uphill battle wherein I am wondering how hard I am going to have to work at this before it becomes fun or even interesting.

Welcome to playing Pay2Win MMO's. If you just buy a couple purple crafter guys it becomes way better . . . Thats' the main problem with these systems over other payment models, the entire system is designed to be so annoying that a certain number of people will pay to skip it rather than being designed to be fun from the start.
  • Options
    azmoran11azmoran11 Member Posts: 51
    edited June 2013
    It's fine, just set it before you log off, come back to play the next day. Simple. Also, it's far better then say EQ2 crafting where you have to sit there and craft everything you do. This is just click, and go do other stuff.
  • Options
    degraafinationdegraafination Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    traciatim1 wrote: »
    Welcome to playing Pay2Win MMO's. If you just buy a couple purple crafter guys it becomes way better . . . Thats' the main problem with these systems over other payment models, the entire system is designed to be so annoying that a certain number of people will pay to skip it rather than being designed to be fun from the start.

Buy green (Rare) crafters. Most sell for around 10-15k AD. Very reasonable. If you want to P2W, buy purple tools once you get high enough. I'm doing my best not to drop a penny on this game. I get most of my AD from DDs, flipping items in the AH, and crafting. You'll get there.
    PWP_zpsf8f711ce.jpg
    Join Essence of Aggression: PVP-ing Hard Since Beta!
  • Options
    diogene0diogene0 Member Posts: 2,894 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    They want you to pay for professions packs.
  • Options
    khornishkhornish Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I much prefer NW crafting over the system used by the largest MMO. What I find tedious is gathering mats for hours on end, fighting over nodes with goldsellers and auction house magnates. Then, spending hours making garbage items that no one wants, like daggers, only to repeat the process over and over, until the final crafting rank is achieved.

At least in this game, players have real and varied options how to rank up crafting with at least one path always cranking out useful stuff. On top of this, players can potentially do nine tasks at once, something rarely possible in other games.

I would much much rather spend my time playing the content and especially pvp, than spending the same amount of time solely crafting.
  • Options
    bropinebropine Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    diogene0 wrote: »
    They want you to pay for professions packs.

This statement explains the reason why the crafting system is designed the way it is. End of story.
  • Options
    thepresident777thepresident777 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    bropine wrote: »
    This statement explains the reason why the crafting system is designed the way it is. End of story.

This! But, I'm not going to pay to scratch the itch that itches the more I scratch it.

Incidentally, to everybody telling me that I don't have to stare at the screen for 18 hours, I heard the sky is blue, can you confirm that for me? It'll help you avoid the point of my thread just a little longer.

It bores me to do nothing in this game's crafting system but hire another hireling every 18 hours. It's 90% of what I do in crafting, until I have 64, or more, mercenaries. That amounts to at least 12 days, at 4 hirelings at a time, for each character! It's boring! It's boring to wait 18 hours for anything.