test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Pointless and moronic PvP kill mechanic

indelibleindelible Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
edited June 2013 in PvE Discussion
Dear Game Designer (barely, clearly),

I would like to discuss with you the kill mechanic that you contrived for PvP: it's a pointless and dull mechanic, and an all round BAD idea.

Why?

When you played Guild Wars 2, and thought "I know... let's steal that", you failed to steal ALL of it. By omitting the "downed state" combat mechanics that allowed players to have a chance once they had been "defeated", you simply created a really, really tedious system (that has no merit or value) for players to worry about.

Given the limited nature of PvP, and the low cooldown on resurrections, why on God's blue Earth did you think it'd be a good idea?

Also, why haven't you made it clear to players how the system works? When I do 75% of the damage to a target, and some cretin Dwarf gets the kill credit, I'm left wondering... "why?", and I subsequently hope and pray that you - whoever you are - have been fired.

I don't think I've ever been more resentful of or hateful towards a person I do not know before, apart from Jesus. You are seriously a plague, and I would suggest a career in data entry above and beyond a career in game design.

And while we're at it... if it was you who also thought it'd be a good idea to have abilities that take TIME to cast but lack a cast bar (OR EVEN INFORMATION INFORMING YOU HOW LONG THE ANIMATION WILL LAST BEFORE THE EFFECT IS APPLIED), then know that I hate and despise you more than you think I do. Seriously. Think about how much you hate the person you most hate in the world, and now multiply it by 10. That is how much I hate you. I. Hate. You.

:)

(P.S. Using a sardonic tone to highlight a couple of genuine gripes I have with PvP (and I actually do think the developers and designers responsible for these idiotic solutions are in themselves idiotic solutions. Lack of cast bars and information on skills, and a stupid, pointless, irritating, frustrating mechanic that leads to me feeling unrewarded and plagued by poor game design. Obviously there are more issues than that (ability delay seems to have reared its ugly head... yet again... for the millionth time in an MMO).)
Post edited by indelible on

Comments

• sent8sent8 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 70
    edited May 2013
    The person who finishes people in the down state do not necessarily receive the kill. If you notice you will still gain your +50 points and get the kill credit even if you are not the one pushing the F key. But good job jumping to conclusions instead of doing a little bit of research or paying attention to whats going on during PvP.

And you think they are going to listen to you when you give advice about buffing/nerfing classes. LOL

P.S The downed state is actually a very tactical idea. If a large team fight is going on and your team is about to win calling for help would eventually deny the opposing team points and a kill. While waiting around for a heal during a close fight could potentially deny your team the help you would provide if you just chose to respawn. When more competitive play begins this will prove to be something that can make or break a team winning.
    21.jpg
  • indelibleindelible Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    sent8 wrote: »
    The person who finishes people in the down state do not necessarily receive the kill. If you notice you will still gain your +50 points and get the kill credit even if you are not the one pushing the F key. But good job jumping to conclusions instead of doing a little bit of research or paying attention to whats going on during PvP.

I don't believe I ever said that my problem was that people hitting the F key got the kill.

"But good job jumping to conclusions."

Arrogant.
  • sent8sent8 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 70
    edited May 2013
    indelible wrote: »
    I don't believe I ever said that my problem was that people hitting the F key got the kill.

"But good job jumping to conclusions."

Except the fact that you said "I just did 75% of the damage and then the dwarf gets the kill". In a post about the PvP kill mechanic, which you went on to explain is the downed state. That is when people use the F key. You also stated it was the same mechanic in GW2. Which is also the downed state, which would imply that the person hitting F is the one getting the kill after you did the majority of damage.

Explain to me how that is jumping to conclusions?
    21.jpg
  • inzababainzababa Member Posts: 33 Arc User
    edited May 2013

I would like to discuss with you the kill mechanic that you contrived for PvP: it's a pointless and dull mechanic, and an all round BAD idea.

Why?

When you played Guild Wars 2, and thought "I know... let's steal that", you failed to steal ALL of it. By omitting the "downed state" combat mechanics that allowed players to have a chance once they had been "defeated", you simply created a really, really tedious system (that has no merit or value) for players to worry about.

Given the limited nature of PvP, and the low cooldown on resurrections, why on God's blue Earth did you think it'd be a good idea?

Also, why haven't you made it clear to players how the system works? When I do 75% of the damage to a target, and some cretin Dwarf gets the kill credit, I'm left wondering... "why?", and I subsequently hope and pray that you - whoever you are - have been fired.

I don't think I've ever been more resentful of or hateful towards a person I do not know before, apart from Jesus. You are seriously a plague, and I would suggest a career in data entry above and beyond a career in game design.

And while we're at it... if it was you who also thought it'd be a good idea to have abilities that take TIME to cast but lack a cast bar (OR EVEN INFORMATION INFORMING YOU HOW LONG THE ANIMATION WILL LAST BEFORE THE EFFECT IS APPLIED), then know that I hate and despise you more than you think I do. Seriously. Think about how much you hate the person you most hate in the world, and now multiply it by 10. That is how much I hate you. I. Hate. You.

(P.S. Using a sardonic tone to highlight a couple of genuine gripes I have with PvP (and I actually do think the developers and designers responsible for these idiotic solutions are in themselves idiotic solutions. Lack of cast bars and information on skills, and a stupid, pointless, irritating, frustrating mechanic that leads to me feeling unrewarded and plagued by poor game design. Obviously there are more issues than that (ability delay seems to have reared its ugly head... yet again... for the millionth time in an MMO).)

IRL if you do 75% damage to some bad guy in the streets, and I finish him off with a baseball bat hit to the head.

The "one who killed" him is me :)

"c'est la vie" !
    edited May 2013
    sent8 wrote: »
    Except the fact that you said "I just did 75% of the damage and then the dwarf gets the kill". In a post about the PvP kill mechanic, which you went on to explain is the downed state. That is when people use the F key. You also stated it was the same mechanic in GW2. Which is also the downed state, which would imply that the person hitting F is the one getting the kill after you did the majority of damage.

Explain to me how that is jumping to conclusions?

What you are doing is practically a dictionary definition of "jumping to conclusions".

I never mentioned the F key. I never mentioned it because I was not specifically talking about it. If I had meant "guy hits F and gets my kill" I would have said that. I didn't.

I didn't say that at all. You read what I said, and >JUMPED TO THE CONCLUSION< that I was talking about that.

Practically a dictionary definition there, bro.
    edited May 2013
    inzababa wrote: »
    IRL if you do 75% damage to some bad guy in the streets, and I finish him off with a baseball bat hit to the head.

The "one who killed" him is me :)

"c'est la vie" !

Aye, I know that. If the world was balanced, it wouldn't work like that though... right? RIGHT? ><;
  • ankorwutankorwut Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    OP seems upset
  • pungkapungka Member Posts: 38 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    What you are doing is practically a dictionary definition of "jumping to conclusions".

I never mentioned the F key. I never mentioned it because I was not specifically talking about it. If I had meant "guy hits F and gets my kill" I would have said that. I didn't.

I didn't say that at all. You read what I said, and >JUMPED TO THE CONCLUSION< that I was talking about that.

So then what were you talking about?
    edited May 2013

You are right it is Jumping to conclusions. A conclusion based completely on the information given. Because you do not state that it is anything BUT the downed state. If you were talking about something else then why talk about the downed state and GW2 mechanic that is similar to this games PvP kill mechanic?

Honestly I don't know what else you could be talking about, so please enlighten us.
    21.jpg
  • jniebaumjniebaum Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The only complaint I have with the current PvP is its go Melee or go home. Wizards and Clerics are just too incapable of being able to survive, let alone run away with the fact every melee class has a Teleporting Stun ability. Pretty much as it stands the enemy players arn't going after the Wizards or Clerics because they are dangerous. Its because they are an easy kill.
  • kushokusho Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    TOTALLY agree with the OP. The current kill system is <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>. And no, it doesnt add any "tactical depth". When my entire group is wiped but i manage to down an enemy - its my kill and i deserve it (NO, i cannot go to the middle of their group to press "f", im a f*ing ranged dps)
    I hated GW2 mechanics but could live with it. This is just pointless and stupid.
  • pinkfontpinkfont Member Posts: 563 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013

Why?

Killing a player on the ground does not give you a kill.

The person who PUT him on the ground gets the kill.

What most likely happened is that the "dwarf" hit your target last, and ended up downing him first. Most likely with a Damage over Time or Ranged Attack. You thought you killed him, but did not. Then the Dwarf finished him off.

The downed system is in place to encourage reviving players, though I wish clerics had an ability that could do it from range. Then they might actually be useful in PvP again.
    A rich rogue nowadays is fit company for any gentleman; and the world, my dear, hath not such a contempt for roguery as you imagine. - John HAMSTER
    edited June 2013
    kusho wrote: »
    TOTALLY agree with the OP. The current kill system is <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>. And no, it doesnt add any "tactical depth". When my entire group is wiped but i manage to down an enemy - its my kill and i deserve it (NO, i cannot go to the middle of their group to press "f", im a f*ing ranged dps)
    I hated GW2 mechanics but could live with it. This is just pointless and stupid.

You do no understand the system. As stated earlier, you do not need to hit "F" in order to get the kill. You just need to be the last one to hit the target before he gets downed.
    A rich rogue nowadays is fit company for any gentleman; and the world, my dear, hath not such a contempt for roguery as you imagine. - John HAMSTER
  • kushokusho Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    pinkfont wrote: »
    You do no understand the system. As stated earlier, you do not need to hit "F" in order to get the kill. You just need to be the last one to hit the target before he gets downed.

If i dont hit "f" i cant finish him off and he just gets "revived" by his mates. Like i stated, as a ranged character i cant (and shouldnt be forced to) run into melee range to "finish" my kills. That just doesnt make sense.
  • bropinebropine Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Aye, I know that. If the world was balanced, it wouldn't work like that though... right? RIGHT? ><;

U Mad Bro? ;)
  • fliphoutfliphout Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I do agree with OP that there should be cast bars in the game.

It's annoying not knowing how long the spell is going to take.
  • renegademarshalrenegademarshal Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 83
    edited June 2013
    So another whiner goes on the forums to whine about something that they have done no research on, and as such, are wrong about.

O official forums, how funny are thee.

Whoever downs the target gets the kill. 1 PvP match can tell you this if you're competent and aware.
    edited June 2013
    kusho wrote: »
    If i dont hit "f" i cant finish him off and he just gets "revived" by his mates. Like i stated, as a ranged character i cant (and shouldnt be forced to) run into melee range to "finish" my kills. That just doesnt make sense.

Makes perfect sense. It's the balancing act. You get to have a lot of range separating you from enemy, but you don't get to easily finish him off like melee classes. In my experience though, it doesn't really matter. Capturing points is more important than kills, and if you should always be around team-mates who can finish off players for you.
  • yliana1yliana1 Member Posts: 38
    edited June 2013
    why even care who gets the kill? last i saw kills mean barely anything in this game`s "pvp" aside of e-peen bragging rights...
    Oh well..
  • dragonlover982dragonlover982 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    jniebaum wrote: »
    The only complaint I have with the current PvP is its go Melee or go home. Wizards and Clerics are just too incapable of being able to survive, let alone run away with the fact every melee class has a Teleporting Stun ability. Pretty much as it stands the enemy players arn't going after the Wizards or Clerics because they are dangerous. Its because they are an easy kill.

I don't know what your talking about I can kill easily with a CW in PvP. It's all about being ranged and staying ranged, the tele stun is easily avoidable by using teleport,timing ice bolt to freeze them as they land negating the stun in the process and timing your knock back blast. In fact the most trouble I have is from CW's and some clerics.
    I really wish more MMO players had an IQ higher than a chihuahua
    Originally Posted by iuseforum
    Game is broken. Unpatch the game
  • chizzahchizzah Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Think what the OP meant was it is unfair that he does 99% of the hard work and then someone comes to poach the kill thus giving the poacher the +50 or whatever for the kill and leave him with only +25. The scoring system in the game is stupid though. You guys can kid around but it's true. Its who can cap more and faster not who can take it and who can keep it. Taking away so much from the game cause everyone wants the +300 for capping so at the start everyone is going to run to home base to get +300 in the case of most pugs I've seen. What they don't know is you'll lose the game 9 times out of 10 and get crappy glory and xp thus wasting your time and other people's time.

God as my witness if they change the scoring system, I mean like really think about it and take their time, and change it. PvP will be so much better because it won't be about who gets the kills or who goes to cap anymore. A GWF will be there to kill, a CW will be there to assist, a DC will be there to heal and revive, a GF will be there to hold the node or at least slow the capping process, and a TR will do what stealth is suppose to be slip past people to cap behind their backs. Right now the fight for holding mid is almost non-existant and its because of the flawed point system. Its because of this system that the OP felt he needed to post that because if that guy didn't want his +100 or whatever then he would have seen the OP was about to kill the guy and go on to damage and kill something else. Its because of the system that some of you tried to make a fool out of the OP because it's the internet and no one knows its you trying to humiliate someone because it's fun. Cause and effect people. You know you a douce bag if you are one. That **** comes back at you. I know I used to be an *** too.

So agree or disagree but don't try to insult each other's intelligence. Don't be a ***** about it guys. Grow a pair. Live and let live.
  • sogarosogaro Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    the pointless of the pvp is mainly based on how melee toons get screwed on stuns and distance of fighting its a bunch of kiting kids that stun lock b.s
  • thegizzardthegizzard Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    The PVP is fun, I have teleporting lag with a teleporting character which makes him even harder to use. I enjoy seeing myself on the screen getting away, then I die and one of my teammates says move when on my screen I was teleporting to safety but when I die it shows on the screen that I never moved and was surrounded by enemies.
  • blazefistfigblazefistfig Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Honestly, I dont mind the mechanic as good team play is rewarded by it. That being said, I would love it if it used a different key than "f" so I didnt keep trying to trade a teammate in the midst of bloodsport.