test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Gauntlgrym shouldn't be a scheduled event.

finalcatalyst454finalcatalyst454 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited June 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
So I can understand why they would feel the need to put it as a scheduled event, to have it so that each phase is timed properly, but why not just do it the way they did with the invasions in a sense? Have it always going. Do like, Phase 1, Phase 2, Phase 3, half hour break. That way people that aren't on at exactly the right times can still play Gauntlgrym. I played the first round and won't be able to play the second one. I would like to play later tonight but chances are the next round won't be until tomorrow. There was a lot of hype about Gauntlgrym and I was really excited. I really like how it all plays but I would like to be able to play more than once a day, if I'm on at the right time.
Post edited by finalcatalyst454 on

Comments

• th1jsth1js Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    biggest let down in gaming history! i have four hours left to rage on forum before being able to play!
  • chrono0812chrono0812 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 501 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    th1js wrote: »
    biggest let down in gaming history! i have four hours left to rage on forum before being able to play!

Good Times for sure
    Death_knight.jpg

Life is a dream for the wise, a game for the fool, a comedy for the rich, a tragedy for the poor.
    ~Sholom Aleichem
  • gamespeakgamespeak Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Not to mention if you live in a time zone where the 4 hours time might not line up with you work or life. basically means you can never play it.
    Boss = 60 Guardian
    Mad Hatter = 60 Rogue
    Foundry "Zombie Survival - Nightmare" NW-DRBK6WNML
  • onehappygnadeonehappygnade Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Ya I don't like how it's event only. That cuts down on the other stuff like the skirmishes, and dungeon delves.
  • sirjestosirjesto Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 176 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    So where do you go to do it exactly? Still haven't figured that one out.
  • imsmithyimsmithy Member Posts: 1,378 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Guess that's another of the surprises they were talking about , Gaunt dungeons can't be done during DD ... Surprise!
  • imsmithyimsmithy Member Posts: 1,378 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    sirjesto wrote: »
    So where do you go to do it exactly? Still haven't figured that one out.
    You have to be in a guild that has chosen a faction , then you have to visit Sgt Knox in PE to get a quest and he sends you off to the trial of blades where you have to chat to the 2 factions representatives and then you can queue for it , at least I think you can but I'm not sure since my guild leader wasn't on in time to choose a faction before the event started so it wouldn't let him choose a faction after the event began so we never got to try Gaunt yet even though we are in a guild xD ... D:
  • sirjestosirjesto Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 176 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    imsmithy wrote: »
    You have to be in a guild that has chosen a faction , then you have to visit Sgt Knox in PE to get a quest and he sends you off to the trial of blades where you have to chat to the 2 factions representatives and then you can queue for it , at least I think you can but I'm not sure since my guild leader wasn't on in time to choose a faction before the event started so it wouldn't let him choose a faction after the event began so we never got to try Gaunt yet even though we are in a guild xD ... D:

Oh ok. Thanks. I'll try that.
  • xenobiusxenobius Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    It's a total, FUBAR/cluster**** grade disappointment.

First of all, you need to participate with the same character through the first two phases to gain access to phase 3 dungeon.
    If you're late from work and arrive barely in time for phase 3... Well, tough luck, you don't get to see Gauntlgrym dungeon AT ALL.

Next, regardless of your guild size, you can only queue up for phase 2 in groups of 5 - so much for organized premades.
    At best, you can *hope* your 5-man group ends up in a battleground with less bots, afkers, leavers and whatnot. Even if you're capable of bringing a 20-man group, you can't expect to enter the same battleground with all of them.

Lastly, Gauntlgrym dungeon awards tier 2 PvP gear. So for all PvE players (in a PvE game, mind you) - keep farming T2 during Dungeon Delves, nothing's changed.

Overall - meh.
  • chronomancerchronomancer Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,223
    edited June 2013
    I agree... scheduled pvp is just FAIL esp for an international server which serves all time zones.

What I think should be change is change Gauntlgrym into an instance instead of a persistent zone.

When two teams of 20 people are queued then the game starts. Allow replacement of players if someone DC or quit. Shorten the game from 30 mins to 15 mins for each phase so a single game last for 45 mins (instead of an hour and a half). Winners can enter T2, losers can enter T1. This allows games to go on at all times of the day based on demand instead of a rigid schedule.
  • bananskruebananskrue Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    xenobius wrote: »
    keep farming T2 during Dungeon Delves

Too bad there's a lot less DD going around now that they jammed 90 minutes of gauntlygrym in their event rotation. I was basically only playing this game during DD's, now I'll be playing even less.
  • smulfsmulf Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    yea i dont like the idea of DD and GG being scedueld events but it seems like cryptic dosent like people with RLs. i havent played GG or DD today due to RL stuff and its 22pm here now. and work again tomorrow leaves me with yet another night spinning on my mount.
  • tyr216tyr216 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I don't like these rotating events at all. I like to be able to log in whenever I want, do whatever I want, and not feel like I'm missing out on a bonus because my life doesn't coincide or revolve around the game's schedule. The queue for dungeons and skirmishes outside of their events is horrendous. Then when the events finally do pop up, pugging becomes impossible because the queue gets flooded by people in a rush for their bonus. Ok, you say, join a guild? No problem, except everyone has lives outside of the game and we can rarely get everyone's schedule on the same page, and when we do, the stupid bonus event isn't available for the content we want to do. Now the new event only further exacerbates the issue. Did they think this one through much?
  • kilo418kilo418 Member Posts: 823 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    D'Brickashaw Ferguson can queue for Gauntlgrym when the event isn't active.
  • hyttehanshyttehans Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 61
    edited June 2013
    I have to agree, let us have gauntlgrym 24/7, dont see why its event only, when its that fun i realy enjoyed the whole thing especialy the 20 vs 20 pvp !!
  • erethizon1erethizon1 Member Posts: 185 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    xenobius wrote: »
    Next, regardless of your guild size, you can only queue up for phase 2 in groups of 5 - so much for organized premades.
    At best, you can *hope* your 5-man group ends up in a battleground with less bots, afkers, leavers and whatnot. Even if you're capable of bringing a 20-man group, you can't expect to enter the same battleground with all of them.

This is one of its best features. If you let people enter as a group of 20 then the top three guilds (which will only invite the best people) will win the PvP event every time and all the rest of the players will have no choice but to always lose and always do the tier 1 dungeon that follows. There is not much point in making content that most people will never even have the opportunity to see.

Edit:: And the reason the event has to be on a schedule is if you let people start as soon as there were a group of 20 ready to go for each faction then those two groups (which started at the same time) would end up going against each other in the PvP event (since they are the only two groups that are both ready at the exact same moment). Since one group of 20 is for one faction and the other group of 20 is for the other faction this would result in your 20-man premade group entering the PvP event together, which is bad for the reason listed in paragraph one. By starting everyone at the same time there are lots of 20-man groups for each faction enter the PvP phase at the same time so you can mix and match them creating a more fair PvP match.
  • pentegarnpentegarn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Biggest example of carrot dangling and snatching I have ever seen in any MMO. It isn't like a 20v20 BG mixed with PvE at the end is a new concept either. Blizzard got it right with both Wintergrasp and Alterac Valley. Why can't you just play their game and steal how they did it?
  • erethizon1erethizon1 Member Posts: 185 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    pentegarn wrote: »
    Biggest example of carrot dangling and snatching I have ever seen in any MMO. It isn't like a 20v20 BG mixed with PvE at the end is a new concept either. Blizzard got it right with both Wintergrasp and Alterac Valley. Why can't you just play their game and steal how they did it?

If game companies had the wisdom to steal the best ideas from other companies we would have a truly amazing game by now that combines the best features of every MMO that has come out to date. Unfortunately, for one reason or another, no one appears to ever bother. It seems like the people that make MMO's and the people that play MMO's extensively are simply two totally different groups of people.