test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Best build for T2 dungeons?

whoamarkwhoamark Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited June 2013 in The Library
Rolling a wizard exclusively for dungeons and was wondering what build is the most agreed upon.

Any help would be appreciated.
Post edited by whoamark on

Comments

• grimahgrimah Member Posts: 1,658 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    for me, it varies alot.

For aoe: CoI (tabbed), shield, icy terrain, steal time (with some sort of weapon enchant that isnt vorpal).

single target: ice rays (tab), CoI, Ray of enfeeble, chill strike. (oh and ice rays does alot more damage than it says on tooltip).

Pushing stuff: repel (tab), shield, entangle, steal time.

Chaining Sing: Entangle (tab), shield, steal time, + whatever ray is a usual pick.

and for dailies, singularity and ice knife.

features: stormspell + something else depending on your role.

it really depends on which boss and what you are needed, or if there are 2 CWs in the group or 1. i often change my spells multiple times during a dungeon.

For feats, well its a bit of a mess atm so i wont comment on which, rene or thaum works best for damage.
    Creator of the featured survival horror foundry: "The Silence of Haydenwick" Video Review
    and also the featured satirical comedic adventure "A Call for Heroes".
  • zelciahzelciah Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I'm using Deagen's Control Wizard Guide and I've found it very useful, not came across many problems other than needing to upgrade my gear.

The rotations these guides recommend are always good for playing around and maximizing dmg ect, but at the end of the day you'll be switching everything around to suit your playstyle as you will no doubt already know.

This Thaumaturge Build is getting alot of attention but I've yet to test it.

- There isn't a hugely agreed upon build right now, each have pro's/cons. Look at the two and see which fits your playstyle i guess.
  • urthedarurthedar Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    http://reyva.com/resources/neverwinter-powers-feat-simulator.9/#bEn4DNMq2dUzJxEwCbkfmLsFj67zGT8jNatFH1jM8SboRhh6NLKufotW7eRgLp4NQ

Im thinking about this build but feat "critical power" is untested by me so im a little bit uncertain. Learn how to use Shard of Endless Avalanche, this skill have great potential because knock the adds.
  • copticonecopticone Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    urthedar wrote: »
    http://reyva.com/resources/neverwinter-powers-feat-simulator.9/#bEn4DNMq2dUzJxEwCbkfmLsFj67zGT8jNatFH1jM8SboRhh6NLKufotW7eRgLp4NQ

Im thinking about this build but feat "critical power" is untested by me so im a little bit uncertain. Learn how to use Shard of Endless Avalanche, this skill have great potential because knock the adds.

IMO, Storm Pillar is still HORRIBLE. Storm Pillar + Destructive Wizardry sound awesome "on paper", but in practice it is not worth it at all. It gives you 6 seconds 10%damage bonus. But you first need to make sure that your Storm Pillar will actually hit more than one target. Two, you need to make sure you fully charge it and wait another split second after fully charged to make sure it will hit multiple targets. If you release too soon, even after it looks like it is full, it will hit just one target. Then since it takes at least 2seconds to charge, the benefit of Destructive Wizardry diminishes, and end up with maybe at most a 4second window with the buff, if you are considering it to be part of a rotation.
    With regards to the Shard, while it is cool and fun to use, it often gives you random results. Especially in T2, I'd rather using powers that I know exactly how they will perform. With CoI, Icy Terrain, Steal Time, and Shield slotted, the only logical replacement to use the Shard, would be Icy Terrain since I dont think any CW should go without Steal/Shield. I have grown too attached to Icy Terrain recently. With it stacking chills to maximize CoI's damage, the slow, and constant DoT that proc Spell Storm, I dont think I can part with it for the bowling ball :)
    Check out my personal Nerf Proof T2 Thaumaturge Build.
  • urthedarurthedar Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Yeah, i never ever use storm pillar but some people says that this skill is nice to regenerate AP. I've got on mastery EF / CoI, as u steel time and shield is always on my encounter slots and sometimes replace icy terrain with RoE. Its just theoretical build (still got respec)
  • fondlezfondlez Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    urthedar wrote: »
    Yeah, i never ever use storm pillar but some people says that this skill is nice to regenerate AP.

It's nice for AP regen outside of combat where you can afford to stand still looking very silly. During a fight almost anything else you do, even Ray of Frost, which for AP purposes scales quite well with crit, will generate more AP.
  • helpimblindinrlhelpimblindinrl Member Posts: 972 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    It doesn't really matter because your personal dps shouldn't matter to you in a t2. What matters is controlling the situation so there aren't a bunch of mobs running around and hitting people, particularly the cleric because he is your friend. Neither of the two non terrible trees will really improve this. So really its just down to what do you want your debuff to be, icespike or enfeeble? And even then debuffs are nice but who cares about them because if the dps is competent they aren't necessary.

The best spells for ensuring that doesn't happen are entangling force in tab so you can get your discoball up more often, shield to keep mobs mashed up against the wall you dropped them at and timesteal to stop them punching things. Then you have a final power that is your choice. Icy terrain can be good because at least if they move they move slow. Single target repel can be very good. You can pick up those pulling hulks in spell plague with forcechoke and get rid of one for a while while the dps deals with other problems and by the time they get back you can get rid of it again presuming there is no convenient cliff.

I really don't get why cws care about dps unless they pvp a lot. Its bad enough that the melee classes get extremely short sighted and lose situational awareness all the time, the cw and the cleric should have their brains turned on.
  • fondlezfondlez Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    <snip anti-damage rant>

While you are, of course, correct to a limited extent, you are not actually discussing anything in this thread nor responding to anyone. No one has been discussing pure damage at all. OP asked for "best" build, whatever that may be.

Besides, damage is utility. Just because CWs have a different perspective on that compared to the other classes, does not make the thing itself any less useful.

Finally, if there is anything to min-max or optimize in general, its far more likely to be damage than anything to do with control which can vary greatly depending on so many factors.
    edited June 2013
    Damage isn't utility, that's just i want to get my dps in so i look important like almost every build posted in the forum.
  • grimhelmegrimhelme Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    What, exactly are you supposed to do with that tool?

I can see that you can choose various different options, but I don't see any output to tell you the difference between the different settings.
    edited June 2013
    Damage isn't utility, that's just i want to get my dps in so i look important like almost every build posted in the forum.

Is that your own opinion, or just getting on the very small bandwagon started by some thread? There is no CC spec, because it doesn't exist. If I am clearing ALL of T2 content with my group, often as the only CW, using CoI on Tab, Icy Terrain, Steal Time, and Shield for 90% of the time, then there is no way in hell you can convince me I am doing it wrong. You also can not convince me that EF on Tab will result in better CC. In fact I am willing to bet that with my setup, I do better CC. We don't talk about CC, Singularities and Shield pulse in the forum, because IT IS A GIVEN. Every decent CW does them regardless of spec/build.
    edited June 2013
    relax guy, if you are happy being inefficient and bad that's fine too. The guy wanted to know what was best and obviously didn't understand what was good. You don't either but the world needs ditch diggers too.
  • nipsnapsnipsnaps Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    relax guy, if you are happy being inefficient and bad that's fine too. The guy wanted to know what was best and obviously didn't understand what was good. You don't either but the world needs ditch diggers too.
    Funny, considering his build is same as what I ended up respeccing into after patch from renegade, since it:
    huge cc (freezes, chills) in addition to normal shield+slow+singularity, tab entangle vs tab CoI isn't even a question which wins CC
    huge debuff (aoe -mitigation from CoI, golden on bosses too)
    about same AP gain (CoI on tab gives all mobs chill, and Icy Terrain that hits chilled targets creates a nice big bunch of AP)

Sure, I won't murder everyone else on the dps list like before as I give everyone nice buffs instead of tons of personal +dmg% buffs, but I still top it in "regular pug groups" while giving even more CC and way more +dmg to everyone ...
    edited June 2013

Maybe we should first define what "best" means. Since being able to clear all of T2 with high AoE damage without loosing an ounce of crowd control isn't viable in your book. If ditch diggers like myself are farming CN and Dread with no wipes, maybe the advice he needs is to learn how to be one.
    edited June 2013
    All this boasting, you sound like such a child and you don't even get the point. The content isn't even hard
    edited June 2013
    All this boasting, you sound like such a child and you don't even get the point. The content isn't even hard

So I am the one who is boasting. Not the one saying I run my CW with just 2 buttons. Not the one saying I am the elite and everyone else is doing it wrong and are ditch diggers. Not the one being condescending, and saying the content isn't even hard. And because the content is so easy, we shouldnt worry about damage, about gear, what set to use, what enchants, etc..Why Even bother with Paragon feats? I mean none would make your EF+Singularity any more effective. Why bother with ANYTHING beyond slotting these two powers?

I am not being sarcastic, eventhough I doubt that you would tell the difference. I am sure that a pretty skilled player can make an empty shell of a CW work just fine. But now there is only ONE thing to argue about. Is playing a CW your way FUN? To you maybe. But if you tell me that the "right" way to play it is to spam blackholes, I'll tell you the hell with this boring Class. If I can play my character whichever fun way I want and still be able to perform its role, why wouldnt I?

And for the likes of me who post builds on the forum it is to feel important?? lol ....Yea because being married, raising kids, and running a business is such an empty life that I need to waste my time doing this to recharge my ego. I won't argue about acting like a child part. After all, this is a game. Unless you're here for a different reason.
    edited June 2013
    You seem awful mad, i think the cool kids call this maddie baddie
  • tickledpinkstickledpinks Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 276 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Old renegade build keeps me casting singularity back to back..my singularity is up before its finished casting because of rotation. Usually my waiting is for bump cd..never a daily.I control..yes, I read the dps charts and yes, a lot of the times I'm out dpsd by CWs but generally they're not doing a lot of "controlling". When scourge warlocks come out I'll worry a little more about DPS..and those wizards who truly want to CC will stay CWs..those worried about DPS will be long gone and running SWs :)
  • tickledpinkstickledpinks Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 276 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    know what Im sick of?..this sh**..my way is better...no MY way is THE way..Im guildess..Ive seen Draco killed with a few different strats.Ive seen each and every boss killed with different strats yet...if I don't fall into step immediately during a pug and know exactly what they want slotted I'm somehow a scrub.

Id suggest all "know it all" CWs take a break and breathe some fresh air.I usually make it a point NOT to be an add for guild pugs..cause regardless of how many times I bump..how many times I don't miss..how many times I cast sing..its never enough for them..

You know who you are CWs..you're not "that good"...you just think you are because you've told yourself the lie enough. (and you've singled out guildless CWs and tried making them feel inferior)