test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Suggestion for: "Stop gaining EXP" function

soulsofcreationsoulsofcreation Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 14 Arc User
edited June 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
Hey guys, I have a suggestion that's really quite simple. In the options, there should be an option that toggles XP gain. Simply a toggle between Receive EXP and Do Not Receive EXP would satisfy me. Although, I guess adding 50% EXP and 25% EXP would help some people though I find it quite pointless.

Why do we need this function? I don't know about you guys but I certainly need this function. Levels are quite a frustrating restriction in the game. They restrict the level at which you can enter Skirmishes and queue for Dungeons. Now, for people like me, I think I'm levelling too fast. I want to do the Throne of Idris dungeon after I finish Ebon Downs, not while I'm still talking to Galwyn Grist. These dungeons are based around the zones and their story. I don't want to do the dungeon before I've completed the zone's storyline but I'm forced to because I don't want to miss out on the queuing function and have to LFG the old-fashioned way. Yet, if I restrict myself to single-player content and storyline content and avoid fighting monsters as much as possible, I may even out in the end but it would mean limiting myself from playing Skirmishes, Dungeons, Foundry quests, etc. as it would give me unwanted EXP.

So, if you want to continue using level to restrict people, I would suggest this toggling function and it would give me a lot of peace of mind knowing that I can do PvP and Foundry as I please without having to worry about gaining too much EXP and not falling into the "sweet spot" of queuing when I want to.

Also, perhaps there could be a notification that EXP is turned off whenever you log in because you know there'll be players like me who forget that. And maybe a tri-daily mail that alerts you that EXP is turned off or something.

Hope you guys agree and I hope we will see this soon.
Post edited by soulsofcreation on

Comments

• Options
    mconosrepmconosrep Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Hey guys, I have a suggestion that's really quite simple. In the options, there should be an option that toggles XP gain. Simply a toggle between Receive EXP and Do Not Receive EXP would satisfy me. Although, I guess adding 50% EXP and 25% EXP would help some people though I find it quite pointless.

Why do we need this function? I don't know about you guys but I certainly need this function. Levels are quite a frustrating restriction in the game. They restrict the level at which you can enter Skirmishes and queue for Dungeons. Now, for people like me, I think I'm levelling too fast. I want to do the Throne of Idris dungeon after I finish Ebon Downs, not while I'm still talking to Galwyn Grist. These dungeons are based around the zones and their story. I don't want to do the dungeon before I've completed the zone's storyline but I'm forced to because I don't want to miss out on the queuing function and have to LFG the old-fashioned way. Yet, if I restrict myself to single-player content and storyline content and avoid fighting monsters as much as possible, I may even out in the end but it would mean limiting myself from playing Skirmishes, Dungeons, Foundry quests, etc. as it would give me unwanted EXP.

So, if you want to continue using level to restrict people, I would suggest this toggling function and it would give me a lot of peace of mind knowing that I can do PvP and Foundry as I please without having to worry about gaining too much EXP and not falling into the "sweet spot" of queuing when I want to.

Also, perhaps there could be a notification that EXP is turned off whenever you log in because you know there'll be players like me who forget that. And maybe a tri-daily mail that alerts you that EXP is turned off or something.

Hope you guys agree and I hope we will see this soon.

The problem is that there would be people who would abuse this option in PvP to get ultra-twinked characters at lower levels. It would be fine if, once this option was ever activated, from then on in PvP (until level 60) you could only fight other people who had chosen this option themselves.

Otherwise I can see this begin abused to hell.
  • Options
    soulsofcreationsoulsofcreation Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I don't know. Is the discrepancy in gear that big of a deal? If I understand you, you say that players could hone their gear to be the best possible for their level. But, in PvP, a lot more is dependent on tactics, teamwork, skill, reaction, etc. So would it be that big of a deal? Sure, they would totally beat somebody with the exact same build as them with the exact (and I mean exact) same playstyle. But that is almost never the case. Anyway, potions are pretty much the same thing, no? Unfair advantages?
  • Options
    avidlurkeravidlurker Member Posts: 43
    edited June 2013
    I have been thinking about this topic myself and for a time would have loved it.

However, there are some possibilities for abuse and the PvP thing wouldn't even be the worst from Cryptics point of view I think.
    You have that sort of stuff going on in a lot of MMOs and the devs don't usually put a stop to it.

I think the knock out argument against an XP lock are skirmishes.
    The lvl 8 skirmish is brain dead easy and ultra fast, can do it in a few mins only. With an XP lock, you would invariably get twinks running skirmishes at top speeds during skirmish event times. When I last made a char, I got 7k AD out of the lvl 8 skirmish stumbling into it at some time after it started. No twinking involved.

I haven't looked too carefully into the optimization options for other skirmishes, but most people will know there are fast ones and slower ones (Vile Garrundar would be an example for a slow one).
    The differences in skirmish performance don't really matter the way things are right now, because you level past them eventually (pretty quickly actually).

I have come to embrace the pretty quick leveling as far as quests are concerned and have started skipping zones. My dwarf cleric decided not to aid Company Yago for example (pretty much pirates those guys) while my GWF didn't care to go to Icespire peak (bloody cold, he's an half-elf not a snowman).
    This way you are left with some variety if you want to play alts.

Sorry for the wall of text, but I have come to believe that XP-locks are more suitable for games like EQ2 or WoW where you might want to lock yourself into place to progress through all their dungeons at a challenge or to exhaust the loot tables or whatever. NW just isn't quite the same type of game.
  • Options
    ganjaman1ganjaman1 Member Posts: 792 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    mconosrep wrote: »
    The problem is that there would be people who would abuse this option in PvP to get ultra-twinked characters at lower levels. It would be fine if, once this option was ever activated, from then on in PvP (until level 60) you could only fight other people who had chosen this option themselves.

That''s the whole point of twinking incase you've missed it .
  • Options
    mconosrepmconosrep Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    ganjaman1 wrote: »
    That''s the whole point of twinking incase you've missed it .

Which is why it isn't fun for the non-twinked players.....
  • Options
    postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 125 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I'm just glad there's no rested XP to compund the speed of levelling.

They could do with knocking 25% xp off the quest rewards and invocation so you're more likely to hit the dungeon queue at the end of that zone's arc rather than midway through being bumped up to the next one and being locked out of the one you have only just got the quest for.

Skirmishes could be limited to a certain number during the event before the extra AD's aren't awarded.

I've stopped doing foundries in an effort to try and avoid outlevelling instances whereas on my GF my plan is to level them almost purely in the instances and go back later to quest as a time filler.

It would be good to see although I suspect it would be done as a cash bought scroll that would be timed from the point of purchase.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Well then, there's a perplexing problem. I mean, I really don't like leveling too fast and doing the dungeon without even knowing who I'm fighting. I guess I'm a bit of the classic RPG type. The problem is that there's no freedom for doing social stuff and things that do not advance the single-player content if you want to follow the single-player storyline as wholly as possible.
  • Options
    erethizon1erethizon1 Member Posts: 185 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    As I sit here at level 50.99 trying to get into a dungeon before hitting level 51 and being unable to queue for it I cannot help but agree with the need for an experience toggle. I can't even invoke or do leadership crafting because it will level me and prevent me from doing this dungeon.
  • Options
    avidlurkeravidlurker Member Posts: 43
    edited June 2013
    If you want to fully do the story line without overleveling at all, you probably need to skip all dailies, not do skirmishes (they don't advance the storyline really) and just do the quests and do the dungeons only once each.

On a related note, for future alts I plan to omit all official storyline quests and work my way through foundry campaigns.

Edit: erethizon, are you aware that you can enter dungeons manually through a gate in the zone when over leveled? At least some dungeons are fairly popular for this and you should be able to find a group in zone chat for it.

Though I must admit doing the same yesterday with a skirmish I needed to fill my 3 daily runs. Sat there with a sliver of xp missing waiting for the que to pop.
  • Options
    mrbalderusmrbalderus Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I don't know. Is the discrepancy in gear that big of a deal? If I understand you, you say that players could hone their gear to be the best possible for their level. But, in PvP, a lot more is dependent on tactics, teamwork, skill, reaction, etc. So would it be that big of a deal? Sure, they would totally beat somebody with the exact same build as them with the exact (and I mean exact) same playstyle. But that is almost never the case. Anyway, potions are pretty much the same thing, no? Unfair advantages?

PFFFFFT, sorry but it totally depends on your gear.
  • Options
    nornsavantnornsavant Member Posts: 311 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    What is needed here is a system to allow you to group outside of your own level. Instead of turning off exp what if you could que for a dungeon of any level lower then your own and it would put you in the group at a common scaled level. You could run the dungeon with all your powers scaled appropriately with your peers who might be a lower level than you.

Having carved out that pie-in-the-sky I should note that while golden age Cryptic was known for their scaling technology back in the day. Champions Online alerts seem to indicate that they have fired, lost or otherwise misplaced anyone who knew how to properly do that. So that lost skill will have to be reacquired if it is to be used here. But that would solve your problem and so many others.

You could group with friends regardless of level, do content of a wide variety of levels, and open up the game to the populace.

Why would a company who formerly saw such a benefit from this now abandon it entirely?

How the mighty have fallen.
  • Options
    xellizxelliz Member Posts: 955 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I've been a proponent of "no xp" option since I outleveled the first skirmish before even taking the time to attempt it.
    Foundry - Fight Club? (nw-dluqbofu7)
    - JailBreak (in development)
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Don't you see? My Guardian Fighter (only character) is also trying to avoid doing any "extra" stuff and just going bare-bones to try and make the instances. Is that how the game should be? Getting players stuck in a situation where they have to try their hardest to press down their EXP gain just to make it to the end of a zone and make the dungeon/skirmish. :(
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Agreed. I also outleveled the first Skirmish. Oh, the shame. And I outleveled Straight to Helm as well.
  • Options
    xellizxelliz Member Posts: 955 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Of another problem is as you gain a few levels, all the sudden you need to do a skirmish 3 or 4 times for the daily, yet you're highly likely to outlevel the skirmish before you get 3-4 runs unless you stop everything else.
    Foundry - Fight Club? (nw-dluqbofu7)
    - JailBreak (in development)
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    I think all the comments and replies encapsulate the limitations that you are forced to abide to due to how the queues work. I would like to make clear how leveling up can become burdensome and tiresome. It's a horrible thing to have in a game, having to micromanage where everything is a tradeoff and you can't get the full experience at your luxury.

I persist in my suggestion but to alleviate concerns of twinkers, perhaps "twinkers" could be separated to another PvP queue altogether. Or, the balancing system in PvP could account for this by trying to make sure that the teams have equal Gear Scores. I'm well aware that these measures are not perfect but the frustration they cause would be a lot less than that of this perplexing over-levelling problem.
  • Options
    m1nuendm1nuend Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    How many would bother to spend several hours looking for optimal gear at every level class, though. I can't remember the levels, but I guess they are something like 11-19, 20-29, 30-39 etc. If you are going to find best gear at every step, that will take a loooot of time. Not too many would bother just to have a little victoy in the PvP.
    39275e2ac4.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    m1nuend wrote: »
    How many would bother to spend several hours looking for optimal gear at every level class, though. I can't remember the levels, but I guess they are something like 11-19, 20-29, 30-39 etc. If you are going to find best gear at every step, that will take a loooot of time. Not too many would bother just to have a little victoy in the PvP.

I know. But there will be people who try. Still, it can be remedied.
  • Options
    healhamstahealhamsta Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 572 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    mconosrep wrote: »

Or just disable it in PvP so that any EXP gain in PvP can't be disabled.
    Delve loot murdered my TR, DC, & GWF. Nerf Plox:
    I know that it sucks to no longer get gear to sell from the Dungeon Delve chest but it was truly overpowered.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    This option would help lots of people and PvP could have several remedies such as adding in all the "lost" EXP before PvP and subtracting it as you leave. My point is that it is feasible and ought to be implemented.
  • Options
    cinj216cinj216 Banned Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Try getting higher leveled friends to run with you. I can't personally confirm this, but my friends claim they get no exp from mobs when my max-leveled character is partied with them and close-by. Of course, you still have quest exp to contend with.

While I'm thinking about it, it would be nice if Cryptic added in a way to voice chat without being in a party. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    fakatikfakatik Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 151 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    They can make it like War of the Immortals where you have to manually click a "Level Up" button to level up everytime the exp bar is full.
    Aireina | Ashter | King Baldric | Oranges | Hello | Mikalin