edited June 2013 in The Library
So maybe some of you do it already,...but recently I've been using this for pvp

Repel on Mastery

Chill Strike
Entangling Force
Shard of the Endless Avalanche

Magic Missile
Ray of Frost

I've been getting quite a bit better using this Shard of Avalanche, and I ****ing love this spell!

So the rotation I've been going through for GF's..........I dont just go balls out and try everything I have at'em and burn my daily, cuz if you pvp you know generally they willl be blocking most of it..........So I've been playing a smarter game(when I have the chance), those rare 1 vs 1 occurances. I'll move around and dodge away a safe distance, until they break there block stance, then immiedately use Entangling Force, cast Avalanche Shard, Push it at them, knocking them down again, then Repel, and Chill Strike, and then the ball will be exploding, so knock down again.

Been using this ball alot in the past for pvp, as well as pve and the benefits I've found are amazing, if you throw the ball right so to speak =)

Its kinda nice, stun locking a GF for a change....If they not dead by end of rotation, rinse and repeat, and the off chance they do get up, your Avalanche shard will be up again, cast and throw, repeat..
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    dethcorddethcord Member Posts: 77
    edited June 2013
    munkey81 wrote: »
    So maybe some of you do it already,...but recently I've been using this for pvp

Repel on Mastery

Chill Strike
    Entangling Force
    Shard of the Endless Avalanche

Magic Missile
    Ray of Frost

I've been getting quite a bit better using this Shard of Avalanche, and I ****ing love this spell!

SoEA is uselss.
    RoE is better for 1v1s then Repel in mastery s

So the rotation I've been going through for GF's..........I dont just go balls out and try everything I have at'em and burn my daily, cuz if you pvp you know generally they willl be blocking most of it..........So I've been playing a smarter game(when I have the chance), those rare 1 vs 1 occurances. I'll move around and dodge away a safe distance, until they break there block stance, then immiedately use Entangling Force, cast Avalanche Shard, Push it at them, knocking them down again, then Repel, and Chill Strike, and then the ball will be exploding, so knock down again.

Been using this ball alot in the past for pvp, as well as pve and the benefits I've found are amazing, if you throw the ball right so to speak =)

Its kinda nice, stun locking a GF for a change....If they not dead by end of rotation, rinse and repeat, and the off chance they do get up, your Avalanche shard will be up again, cast and throw, repeat..[/QUOTE]

GF's charge range is much lower then our attack range - get them from range, if they don't block - throw EF in, then personally I dot them up with 2 RoEs + CoI, if they block - take this block off, if they'll use up all the block - throw everything you have in a GF and he'll die, takes about 5 seconds total max without Ice Knife.

Besides, there is no such thing as rotation in PvP, and SoEA is just too situational, tho it's nice that someone tries out new playstyles.
  • Options
    crystal892fcrystal892f Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 385 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    dethcord wrote: »
    SoEA is uselss.
    Eerrrr, no. You found better powers to fit your playstyle, okay, but that doesn't mean other players can't make good use of SoeA or any other power YOU don't find useful.
    Besides, there is no such thing as rotation in PvP
    Sure there is. You just described a short one above: "2 RoEs + CoI".
    But maybe you mean "rotation" in a different context.
  • Options
    l0ll13sl0ll13s Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    ive been using the skills RoE Entangling and chillstrike togetehr with eitehr shield or steal time.

my best way to take down a GF is to use the dot dmg based attacks on him when the shield is up like RoE and entangling meanwhile attacking with at will powers since they are dot dmg there shield gets reduced while you dodge if the GF charges at you once the shield is broken the GF is <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> aslong as you pay attention to them charging and they are easy to finish off.
  • Options
    nerhesinerhesi Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Eerrrr, no. You found better powers to fit your playstyle, okay, but that doesn't mean other players can't make good use of SoeA or any other power YOU don't find useful.

Actually no. I think he means useless as in there are way better options in pvp. You may prefer, but it is a clearly inferior choice due to cooldown, animation, 2 step casting process, etc etc. You want CC abilities that are super low cooldown and any way to reduce their damage. Which is why you see people running with RoE, Chill Strike, Entangling and Repel.

RoE with mastery gives you some good damage and breathing space by dropping their damage down by something like 20%+ and all the other spells give you CC. If the GF gets to knock you down, you die. Because even if you're not dead, by the time you get up, hes still got unstoppable, and he's going to be able to finish off what little life you have left (even with a potion).

Please note this is regarding geared GFs that are not <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> and pop their CC immune only after theyve exhausted their knockdowns and in that time where you can cc them. No to mention the fact they probably have a crapload of defence as well.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    nerhesi wrote: »
    Actually no. I think he means useless as in there are way better options in pvp. You may prefer, but it is a clearly inferior choice due to cooldown, animation, 2 step casting process, etc etc. You want CC abilities that are super low cooldown and any way to reduce their damage. Which is why you see people running with RoE, Chill Strike, Entangling and Repel.
    I understand where you're coming from, but 3 knockdowns on one target without any cooldown is a good CC in my book.
    It's a trade off:
    Do you want 3 knockdowns on one target in quick succession or knock down a whole group and then wait ~10 do be able to do it again (-> SoeA in Spell Mastery)?
    Or - based on your described powers - do you wanna push away several targets with a power on short cooldown of ~5 seconds (-> Repel in SM) though not disable them completely?
  • Options
    irk2013irk2013 Member Posts: 241 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    nerhesi wrote: »

RoE with mastery gives you some good damage and breathing space by dropping their damage down by something like 20%+ and all the other spells give you CC. If the GF gets to knock you down, you die. Because even if you're not dead, by the time you get up, hes still got unstoppable, and he's going to be able to finish off what little life you have left (even with a potion).

Please note this is regarding geared GFs that are not <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> and pop their CC immune only after theyve exhausted their knockdowns and in that time where you can cc them. No to mention the fact they probably have a crapload of defence as well.

GF's dont have unstoppable that is a GWF get your classes straight noone was talking about the GWF
  • Options
    munkey81munkey81 Member Posts: 1,322 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    To each is there own. But by using Shard of Avalanche correctly, and the above mentioned abilities, I have kept more then 1 GF 100% locked down until death. I'd say Shard is by no means "useless". Its working for me =)
  • Options
    dethcorddethcord Member Posts: 77
    edited June 2013

It's not about playstyle, it's about certain abilities being useless.

Exactly. Besides, SoEA deals little to no damage. While you're busy casting and moving it I could kill you already, not to mention that it's super predictable so you can dodge/block it's CC.
    Sure there is. You just described a short one above: "2 RoEs + CoI".
    But maybe you mean "rotation" in a different context.

In this case "2 RoEs + CoI" are abilities that I try to use if it's possible.
    In PvE you can chain abilities one after another with ease, because mobs are predictable, what rotation actually is - casting the same abilities in the same order over and over again, or casting the same abilities in the same order in any situation, in PvP you always act according to the situation.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    It's not about playstyle, it's about certain abilities being useless.
    Storm Pillar doesn't seem to be a good power. But because of this I don't consider it useless per se. It just doesn't work for me. But I'd be happy to see someone putting it to good use. Why? Diversity is fun for me. Not finding ONE working setup and stick with it till the end of time. I find that narrow-minded and boring. And you're talking about "effectiveness"? In all my matches using SoEA nobody said to me: "SoEA isn't helping, use Repel (or any other power)". So it's effective for me and the team. But hey, we have simply diverse views and preferences - and I can accept that. :)
    Exactly. Besides, SoEA deals little to no damage. While you're busy casting and moving it I could kill you already, not to mention that it's super predictable so you can dodge/block it's CC.
    I take a support role, not DD role. Damage doesn't matter a lot if I'm shutting someone down - and I do that in synergy with other powers, not just SoEA alone. So no, you wouldn't. :)
    In this case "2 RoEs + CoI" are abilities that I try to use if it's possible.
    In PvE you can chain abilities one after another with ease, because mobs are predictable, what rotation actually is - casting the same abilities in the same order over and over again, or casting the same abilities in the same order in any situation, in PvP you always act according to the situation.
    Agreed.
  • Options
    ganjaman1ganjaman1 Member Posts: 792 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    The best tactic is to position yourself far enough to exploit the fact that the GF has limited block and a certain range of his Threatening Rush / Lunging Strike .

Coming from a CW/GF player perspective .