test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Any Neverwinter Nights mod builders porting their adventures to the Foundry?

voxx75voxx75 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 61
edited December 2013 in The Foundry
I played NWN for several years, even helping run a persistent world for awhile. The tool set and the "endless adventure" made possible by community content was amazing. So much so, that I never even played any of the original campaigns that came with the game or expansions! I'd love to give some a try here.
@voxx75:
"An Occurrence at Faolon's Field"
(daily eligible)
Shortcode: NW-DGPROFMWU
"A Lunacy in Havenlock" (needs reviews!)
Shortcode: NW-DUY2JXAQQ
Post edited by voxx75 on

Comments

• ash4llash4ll Member Posts: 231 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Hey, foundry is a bit limited comparing it to aurora toolkit. I doubt that there would be anyone daring to take their mods to NW. However most of the quests are as complicated as mods in NW even with those limitations. You can check some of them out by reading through my streaming thread (in signature), pick the best and play - you won't regret.
    Review trades - Need to trade review? Read first post for further info.
    Siegebreaker - NW-DGDPWV2U5 - story about the ambush, escape and great rescue of the city.
    I'm a streamer and I know it!
  • kamaliiciouskamaliicious Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    ash4ll wrote: »
    However most of the quests are as complicated as mods in NW
    lol no.

/10 characters.
    edited June 2013
    Of course, you could find exceptional mods that could consume your life, because there you could make alternative paths for your story. Foundry is limited, that making alternative path is hugely impaired. That makes quests much shorter. But it doesnt mean the quests can't be made as complicated as those mods.
    Siegebreaker - NW-DGDPWV2U5 - story about the ambush, escape and great rescue of the city.
  • kamaliiciouskamaliicious Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Of course, you could find exceptional mods that could consume your life, because there you could make alternative paths for your story. Foundry is limited, that making alternative path is hugely impaired. That makes quests much shorter. But it doesnt mean the quests can't be made as complicated as those mods.
    It does, and I speak from experience.
  • voxx75voxx75 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 61
    edited June 2013
    Hey, foundry is a bit limited comparing it to aurora toolkit. I doubt that there would be anyone daring to take their mods to NW. However most of the quests are as complicated as mods in NW even with those limitations. You can check some of them out by reading through my streaming thread (in signature), pick the best and play - you won't regret.

I haven't had a chance to try the Foundry editor out yet (just got lvl 15 this weekend, and of course the Foundry was down). I assumed the Foundry would be somewhat limited. It would be game-breaking otherwise. ("Hey, try out my new campaign, "Fields of Treasure", parts 1-15" LOL). Still, I think you could at least get the gist of an Aurora-designed mod converted via the Foundry. I was referring to single-player adventure-type mods, not the custom-scripted persistent online MMO style ones.
    @voxx75:
    (daily eligible)
    edited June 2013
    First of all quests made in Foundry can be only linear. There are exceptions for that, but it requires far more experience with tool. Transition between maps is only handled by quest, you can't enter a house without marking it in quest (there are exceptions - see Gloomlight by nyghoma [it's hard to achieve it]). There's limit for number of units, encounters, objects. Units scale with level therefore it's hard to achieve perfect difficulty for everyone (for low levels it can be easy while high levels can struggle). Objects can't move, making events is hard. However visually you can make wonders.
  • foundrymakerfoundrymaker Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 253 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    voxx75 wrote: »
    I played NWN for several years, even helping run a persistent world for awhile. The tool set and the "endless adventure" made possible by community content was amazing. So much so, that I never even played any of the original campaigns that came with the game or expansions! I'd love to give some a try here.

The Neverwinter Foundry is a joke compared to the NWN1 Toolset. I don't see anyway you could port anything over from NWN. I still run a Persistent World using NWN1 with a huge 1000+ Area World (you can check it out below). If PW/Cryptic would have done a modern day product similar to the original NWN, they would have all my money.

We can dream I guess.
  • chai23chai23 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I built an entire PW in NWN, which cant really be translated to this game as a whole. I may translate specific modules (zones) over however.
  • vold316vold316 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Today I found out that they finished a NWN2 module of Baldur's gate... DL'ing it atm. :P

Here is a youtube link to the official launch trailer of the module.

That's what I call a real module. ;)

@foundrymaker, I'm itching to test that PW of NWN... the only thing that stops me is that when I install NWN I play too much. :rolleyes:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"The harder the game, the better."
  • voxx75voxx75 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 61
    edited June 2013
    The Neverwinter Foundry is a joke compared to the NWN1 Toolset. I don't see anyway you could port anything over from NWN. I still run a Persistent World using NWN1 with a huge 1000+ Area World (you can check it out below). If PW/Cryptic would have done a modern day product similar to the original NWN, they would have all my money.

We can dream I guess.

I've wished for that too. Original NWN + modern 3D graphics would be amazing. I believe I remember Ansalon, though it's been several years since I've played. I started Realms of Netheria, which was just a big hack n' slash fest really :)
    @voxx75:
    (daily eligible)
  • meedacthunistmeedacthunist Member Posts: 3,085
    edited June 2013
    Things making impossible to port story oriented modules from NWN to NW, and it's not about limited bestiary or NPC costumes:

1 - lack of variables, which means that everything must either stay on one map, or be resolved by quest items - you can't store player choices
    2 -lack of NPC factions
    3 - lack of skill checks, including things like rolling for NPC reaction, player Charisma etc, and using it in dialogues
    4 - actually, lack of any checks, you can't branch story and dialogue upon player race, alignment, class
    5 - lack of real control upon combat difficulty, you can't build mobs from the scratch
    6 - linear map progression, you can't go back to previous map, or have more than one transition to the next map

And surely a lot of things that I can't recall right now.

Foundry is nice tool for MMO and is better than have no tool at all, but it is much more limited than Aurora/Epsilon. You can't recreate any NWN to module with it.
  • xhritxhrit Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    You can't recreate any NWN to module with it.

While it is true that you can not recreate NWN modules exactly in the Foundry, you can adapt the stories in them just fine.

For example, you could tell Lady Aribeth de Tylmarande's story using the foundry; the resulting foundry module would just follow a slightly more linear path then a module created using the aurora toolkit. The story would remain intact. The stories are far more important then the engine.

There are people who cried when Aribeth died; that was because the story was good, not the engine. They would have cried for Aribeth if her story had been told using the gold box era neverwinter nights engine that was on AOL.

It does not matter how good your engine are.... good graphics don't make people cry. Good stories do.
  • meedacthunistmeedacthunist Member Posts: 3,085
    edited June 2013
    I'm not talking about absolutely basic official NWN1 campaigns. Those were very simple and probably only HoT is absolutely impossible to recreate in Foundry.

But if OP was asking about community modules, then answer is still no. Good community works were much more complicated than original campaign. You can't adapt Proleric's Enigma Island, or A Dance with Rogues, or Dreamcatcher campaigns. Simplifying them enough to being doable with Foundry would destroy their story and appeal. Even worse. Those were at least partially non-linear quests.

You need right tools to tell certain stories. Wall of text displayed by NPC will not do.
  • foundrymakerfoundrymaker Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 253 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    vold316 wrote: »
    Today I found out that they finished a NWN2 module of Baldur's gate... DL'ing it atm. :P

Here is a youtube link to the official launch trailer of the module.

That's what I call a real module. ;)

@foundrymaker, I'm itching to test that PW of NWN... the only thing that stops me is that when I install NWN I play too much. :rolleyes:

Well, at least check out the website, then you will have no choice :D

Well, you can get the NWN1 Platinum Edition for like US$4.99 from http://www.gog.com/gamecard/neverwinter_nights_diamond_edition

NWN1 both expansions and Kingmaker Premium Module.
    Just have to be sure you ask for the multi-player key
  • vold316vold316 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Well, at least check out the website, then you will have no choice :D

Well, you can get the NWN1 Platinum Edition for like US$4.99 from http://www.gog.com/gamecard/neverwinter_nights_diamond_edition

NWN1 both expansions and Kingmaker Premium Module.
    Just have to be sure you ask for the multi-player key

That's not a problem, I bought the Collector's Edition like 7 years ago. :P
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"The harder the game, the better."
    edited June 2013
    vold316 wrote: »
    That's not a problem, I bought the Collector's Edition like 7 years ago. :P

Check out the new screenshot I just put up :)

http://nwn.starfire3d.com/screens/index.shtml
  • meldan3nmeldan3n Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Check out my signature! :cool:

It's more like a "sequel" than a remake, though.
  • eldartheldarth Member Posts: 4,494 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Aww. NWScript my old friend. The only "module" I ever actually released was NWN1 VFXBrowser and we've already got a great DMStudio.

In here I've actually managed to release several -- all in my sig.