test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Miffed About protectors enclave roof parkour removal

caiustriicaiustrii Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
I get adding invisible walls like that so I can't solo karrandax or hrimnir when the cleric leaves before the boss battle. But putting invisible walls on all the roofs in PE was completely unnecessary. There's no bosses etc, absolutely no harm in getting on top of any roof. Especially when you're capped waiting in queue. If any dev would reply with why you decided you needed to do this I would really appreciate it.
tumblr_mnpcgsaM9k1r59qkuo3_1280.jpg
I love everything else you've done but finding this out especially when it wasn't in the patch notes really threw me for a loop. throw Parkour is now illegal in protectors enclave underneath your bit about the town cryer and we're good
Usurp the throne
Post edited by caiustrii on

Comments

• Options
    acyy90acyy90 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Couldn't agree more! Adding stuff like that is just totally unnecessary :(. You didn't get any advantage over other players with this and if they don't want us to go bellow/out of the maps they could add the walls there instead. It was like you said only to pass time or while waiting for the queue to pop.
  • Options
    xhritxhrit Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Invisible walls are my biggest pet peeve in any game...
  • Options
    enocanenocan Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I'm posting three pictures of places I, or my friends and I can't get to anymore. (As a tr, I can still get to some of these places, but it would be pointless to go alone).

tumblr_moc6vsvKOU1qbogrho1_1280.jpg
    tumblr_moc6vsvKOU1qbogrho3_1280.jpg
    tumblr_moc6vsvKOU1qbogrho2_1280.jpg

Like, I can only get to 1/2 of the plcaes I used to be able to get to, they removed access to an entire quarter of the city with the walls beside the roof's that you can get to from the stairs. I want it back.
  • Options
    dominemesisdominemesis Member Posts: 269 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    What purpose did this ultimately serve other than to <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> on player's harmless enjoyment of some platforming in the game? I truly don't understand how this was made any kind of priority over all the stuff that needs attention. This makes me feel like the devs have taken an antagonistic position with the players since this comes across as just spiteful. SMH.
  • Options
    osadamaskosadamask Member Posts: 137 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Honestly the game needs much more "secret" exploration. Not less. I would love to find some hidden areas.
  • Options
    horoturehoroture Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 46
    edited June 2013
    Yep this was an unpleasant surprise as well... Wait for everyone to get ready for dungeon -> try to jump to the usual places with pretty scenery, can't do that anymore. Shocking disappointment. Get in dungeon, find that DPS dropped like a stone. Expected disappointment.
  • Options
    snakebyte6x6x6snakebyte6x6x6 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    xhrit wrote: »
    Invisible walls are my biggest pet peeve in any game...

This^

Games should encourage exploration...especially a D&D game.
  • Options
    snakebyte6x6x6snakebyte6x6x6 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    horoture wrote: »
    Yep this was an unpleasant surprise as well... Wait for everyone to get ready for dungeon -> try to jump to the usual places with pretty scenery, can't do that anymore. Shocking disappointment. Get in dungeon, find that DPS dropped like a stone. Expected disappointment.

I had a hard time getting through a story dungeon today, that was a first. Usually the fights are fast and with enough challenge to be fun..but today I spent the entire boss fight running away to chug potions and pick off adds that kept endlessly respawning.

I don't mind a rewarding challenge (i.e. Dark souls) but this is starting to feel cheap (i.e. Street fighter A.I.)
  • Options
    l0lityl0lity Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Totally agree with you guys, this patch sucks.
    Really that and PvP (okay maybe The Foundry too but it's not really developped by dev's if you think about it) was the only things I enjoyed about this game. I seriously think I'll quit because of that... no more talking to Neverember, chilling on the roofs... there are still some places but they really aren't as nice as some old ones...

Anyways do you guys know some other MMOs which has this "parkour" thing?
  • Options
    chrono0812chrono0812 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 501 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    :cool: good times
    Death_knight.jpg

Life is a dream for the wise, a game for the fool, a comedy for the rich, a tragedy for the poor.
    ~Sholom Aleichem
  • Options
    kalyctokalycto Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 44
    edited June 2013
    If this is what people are *****ing about then the devs must be doing something right...
  • Options
    finalcatalyst454finalcatalyst454 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    l0lity wrote: »
    no more talking to Neverember

You can still get to Neverember. I like sitting on his throne while waiting for queue to pop and having my friends and guildies come see who REALLY rules of Neverwinter ;)
  • Options
    mistysummermistysummer Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 38
    edited June 2013
    I don't know about anyone else, but myself it saddens me to see that Neverwinter is not -more- roleplay friendly. Providing places that rpers can live out their character's stories. Like player housing, guild housing, city building, the ablity to sit, fashion, and so on. I know some of the above area's were glitches but they were also private places that players could gather their guilds for roleplay. I have no issue with you fixing the game, but at least give us rpers a little something.

I know that there are several roleplays that came to Neverwinter in hopes of creating new storylines here. Maybe we just don't yell loud enough.... Please Cryptic put a little more focus on roleplay! After all this is suppose to be D&D.
    Showscreation.png

"Blindness is a private matter between a person and the eyes they choose to use. For there are none so blind as those that do not listen dalharil"
  • Options
    xenonizdubbyxenonizdubby Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 63
    edited June 2013
    i still know a few things they havent patched :3 .. i wont be showing on the forums tho , they will probabaly patch them !!! you can get out and ontop of the map in like 4 places still
  • Options
    crystal892fcrystal892f Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 385 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    kalycto wrote: »
    If this is what people are *****ing about then the devs must be doing something right...
    If this is something what the devs think they have to change, they must be doing something wrong.
  • Options
    meedacthunistmeedacthunist Member Posts: 3,085
    edited June 2013
    From Foundry subforums, about NW game maps (info is from Cryptic staff):
    AI Path Nodes

(...)

Facts about Path Nodes

1. Any areas that are completely sealed off with collision from the spawn point will not be populated with path nodes, however areas like the tops of buildings and such do get path nodes. This is because the server isn’t very aware of the intricate flow of your map, so it doesn’t know if there’s a teleporter that takes you to a rooftop or if the player can use a power to knock an enemy into a previously unreachable area.

2. Dense geometry, especially on the ground, attracts more path nodes. For example, a large map with relatively smooth terrain may have far fewer path nodes than a small map with very rugged and rocky terrain. The more geometrically complex your map is, the more complex the path nodes have to be (and the longer they take to publish).

3. Most AI behavior requires path nodes to function properly with the exception of patrols, which only require path nodes when their patrol path is obstructed. This is why AI pathing does not work well in preview mode… There is simply no data for the AI to use yet.

4. Path nodes eat up resources on the server. If they get out of hand, they can eat up quite a tremendous amount of resources. For this reason, there are different categories of maps that the server handles in different ways. An adventure zone is allowed more resources than your typical instanced quest map, but zones also allow many more players in the map at the same time. They are also able to create multiple optimized instances of that zone when the player cap is reached, and some data and resources are shared between these instances. Quest maps do not have these resource-saving features enabled, nor do they have the larger resource allocation from the server that zones enjoy.

Path nodes typically do not affect things like the framerate on the client, but they can cause stalls on the server if they are over budget limits. As an example, in previous beta weekends, there were some quests that used entire zone exteriors for some maps. Since those zones were built with a different budget cap in mind, the server wasn’t expecting such complex maps to be used for instanced quests. As a result, every time those maps were opened by someone playing the quest, the server would have to quickly allocate additional resources to those maps. This was causing a solid 3-5 second freeze for all players on the server every time one of those maps loaded, which just made the entire game significantly less stable.

Optimizing Your Map for AI Path Nodes

You don’t really have a lot of control over path nodes, but there are some things you can do to help your map will work well with them.

1. Avoid excessive amounts of objects with complex geometry in walkable areas. A pile of rocks will have many more path nodes covering it than flat ground. If your entire map is one big debris field with extremely uneven rough topology, it will attract significantly more path nodes than a map with simpler topology.

2. Seal off non-playable areas with collision walls. If you don’t intend for a player to be able to reach a spot on your map, take the time to completely seal it behind invisible walls to ensure it does not get path nodes.

3. Objects that do not have collision, such as ground decals and grass, do not add to the path node count.

4. Placing a collision ceiling as low as possible on your map will reduce the number of nodes. This works best on maps where you have high places and rooftops that the player never gets to and that can be excluded from the playable area.

This is why PE map had to be limited. I suppose that with time more and more areas will be limited with invisible walls, for practical reason.
  • Options
    bucklittlebucklittle Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I think the disappointing part is to know that there was a cryptic manager that asked someone to put invisible walls around the protector enclave roofs, when that person's time could have be more efficiently spent taking a paid day off.