test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Question for foundry editors

cwair01cwair01 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 76
edited June 2013 in The Foundry
To keep this short and simple, does your work pay off?

I mean do people actually tip you diamonds and if they do, roughly how much do you earn?
I'm always friendly and will be happy any of your inquires via pm!
However i'm not a part of PWE and can't handle any questions regarding your personal details or account.
Please respect the forum ToS and keep a nice manner towards your fellow adventurers!

| Half Elf - Cleric | Good reading for Clerics |
Post edited by cwair01 on

Comments

• Options
    neomys99neomys99 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I've only gotten a few reviews so far, but they've almost all left tips. Of those, most are the max tip (500). I get the impression that most people leave a tip of some sort as long as the quest's at least somewhat enjoyable.

If you're doing this for the tips, though, you're probably going to be disappointed. Even the most popular missions (the kinds with 10,000+ plays) are only going to have gotten a few million ADs - and that's assuming everyone who plays them leaves the max tip every time. (10,000 * 500 = 5,000,000)
    Legacy of the Knight-Captain
    NW-DC4WODWS9
  • Options
    almostcoolalmostcool Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    My newest quest has netted me a pretty good amount and I've heard of other authors making a few million. So yeah it is "worth" it in that sense. However, like Neomys said, it shouldn't be your only motive.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The Spellthief Trials
    By @Stebss
    Short Code: NW-DM900IFHK
    Tired of Being the Hero: NW-DGTOU4N94
  • Options
    eskarineeskarine Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I've gotten only a couple of tips so far - and yeah, extra AD are awesome, but it shouldn't be the only reason that you make the foundry. Also, remember that there is a limit to how many times users can tip - so even if they like your quest, it's quite possible that they will not be able to tip any more times today, if they tipped other people before you.
  • Options
    yospeckyospeck Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 174 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    If you want to make AD then make a short Daily that isn't broken. As tipping is also tied heavily to the Foundry achievements most people will tip full amount just to earn their achievement and, unfortunately, is rarely a reflection on the quality of your quest. Tying tipping it into the achievements was a bad idea imo.
  • Options
    ash4llash4ll Member Posts: 231 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    @yospeck - If your quest is exceptional, people will tip regardless of the need. I had Lotr-based quest that had very few plays - 5 (perhaps because I abandoned it while not finishing :P) but comparing to number of tips (2) and their quantity (250 each) I must admit they did it not because of the achievement. Of course, achievement makes people do it, but it's not the only reason.
    Of course if someone wants to make money on foundry, they would do it. But I don't think it discourages people from doing quests telling interesting story.
    Review trades - Need to trade review? Read first post for further info.
    Siegebreaker - NW-DGDPWV2U5 - story about the ambush, escape and great rescue of the city.
    I'm a streamer and I know it!
  • Options
    cwair01cwair01 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 76
    edited June 2013
    Of course tips wouldn't be my primary motive it only determines the amount of time i would be willing to put into the level i suppose
    I'm always friendly and will be happy any of your inquires via pm!
    However i'm not a part of PWE and can't handle any questions regarding your personal details or account.
    Please respect the forum ToS and keep a nice manner towards your fellow adventurers!

| Half Elf - Cleric | Good reading for Clerics |
  • Options
    yospeckyospeck Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 174 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    ash4ll wrote: »
    @yospeck - If your quest is exceptional, people will tip regardless of the need.

Oh I agree with that, but then it needs to be balanced with those who have a nice income of AD, someone who likes a quest, but doesn't have that much AD is unlikely to part with it. Someone who likes a quest, doesn't have that much AD, but wants their achievement will tip.
  • Options
    redneckroninredneckronin Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I've been lucky, I got some nice tips for my foundry.

Truth is they get recycled to other Authors pretty quickly. I try to tip every time I play a new Foundry mission.

AD aren't even a consideration for me to be honest.

That other Players, and especially other Authors play my Quest and offer feedback is more of an incentive.

All The Best
    Campaign: Call Of The Wild - Information, Links To Review Threads, Screenshots

Looking For Reviews For Your Foundry Quest?
    Drop By Scribe's Enclave & Meet Up With Volunteer Reviewers.
  • Options
    wuhsinwuhsin Banned Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I've probably got around 4-5000 AD from tips. Do I care about tips? No, not really. I value stars and adjusted rating points a lot more.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    shorlongshorlong Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 286 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    With 63 plays, I'm sitting at 5100 in tips. Not great....but not terrible either.
    My quest was deleted in July of 2013. There were no issues, it had not violated any rules. Was deemed a bug. That quest is still missing.

RIP - Dirty Politics May 21st, 2013 - July 30th, 2013
  • Options
    zbkoldezbkolde Member Posts: 689 Arc User
    edited June 2013

Truth is they get recycled to other Authors pretty quickly. I try to tip every time I play a new Foundry mission.

^ This, exactly.
  • Options
    zovyazovya Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    If you make good quests that are popular, you can make several million AD, yes. However, if you want a better AD per time invested, you may get better results farming the regular gameplay. Making a hit quest may be more of a gamble. More importantly, at the end of the day, it's a game. So having fun should be the focus.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    You'll get more AD reviewing quests than you will making them unless you are a generous tipper.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ovaltine74ovaltine74 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Your question was "Does it pay off?"

Foundry authors create the world, the people in it, they determine what those people will be doing in that world. They can make things easy on you, or kill you on a whim. With all of that power, why would foundry authors need astral diamonds? Astral Diamonds are for mortals.

Okay, now my serious answer.

I agree with what everyone else has said.

This is kind of like art in that most will never get rich doing it.

I know a lot of artists in real life, the best artists I know are not in it for the money. The ones that I know who do make a lot of money are still not in it for the money. The very few I know that are in it for the money are broke.

This sort of stuff "pays off" if you enjoy creating things. Every second I am making a quest it pays off, because I enjoy what I am doing. There are better ways to make astral diamonds. For me, nothing pays off more than actually creating a quest.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    NW-DMIME87F5
    Awaiting a serious response from the developers on the abuse of the review system by other authors.

Video Preview
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    ovaltine74 wrote: »
    Foundry authors create the world, the people in it, they determine what those people will be doing in that world. They can make things easy on you, or kill you on a whim. With all of that power, why would foundry authors need astral diamonds? Astral Diamonds are for mortals.

Indeed, Foundry authors are the true Gods of this realm.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ovaltine74ovaltine74 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    wuhsin wrote: »
    Indeed, Foundry authors are the true Gods of this realm.

Yeah, I don't even consider them "Tips". They are more like offerings to the gods. We don't really need it, but it comforts the faithful. A five star review and a big tip will secure your spot in heaven. If you give anything less than a four star review, than you are a blasphemous ignoramus, and you shall burn in hell forever.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    NW-DMIME87F5
    Awaiting a serious response from the developers on the abuse of the review system by other authors.

Video Preview
  • Options
    redneckroninredneckronin Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    ovaltine74 wrote: »
    Yeah, I don't even consider them "Tips". They are more like offerings to the gods. We don't really need it, but it comforts the faithful. A five star review and a big tip will secure your spot in heaven. If you give anything less than a four star review, than you are a blasphemous ignoramus, and you shall burn in hell forever.

ROFL

I was very nearly in need of a new keyboard there, a mouthful of coffee and laughter do not mix.

All The Best
    Campaign: Call Of The Wild - Information, Links To Review Threads, Screenshots

Looking For Reviews For Your Foundry Quest?
    Drop By Scribe's Enclave & Meet Up With Volunteer Reviewers.
  • Options
    dzogendzogen Member Posts: 550 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Is it as efficient as other activities in this game? No.

I would never recommend anyone do foundry just to make AD. That said, Foundry is prob the only activity in game that nets AD while you sleep. That's cool.

I've earned approx a few million in the past month/ month 1/2. I think I'm the most played author in game so that's going to be the top end. At exchange rates, don't ever expect to quit your day job ($20-60/ mo ish)

As fun as getting reviews and tips are, I enjoy much more just the process of making stories so that's just all icing on the cake.
    Dzogen, Moonstar Agent
    Bill's Tavern | The 27th Level | Secret Agent 34
  • Options
    vuelheringvuelhering Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    cwair01 wrote: »
    To keep this short and simple, does your work pay off?

I mean do people actually tip you diamonds and if they do, roughly how much do you earn?

I can't answer that question since it never even figured into the calculation. I wrote a foundry quest because I wanted to see how the foundry worked, and if I could make something fun.
    Knights who say Ni!
    Foundry name: Vuelherring (with an extra 'R', matey)

"Bring out yer Dead" NW-DAI945C2G #humor #story #solo
  • Options
    hercooles130uscghercooles130uscg Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I have earned about 1600 ad off just 22 ratings, 46 plays and only about ten reviews, so people do tip.
    bdayaffair_zps6675e60e.png
  • Options
    fallensbanefallensbane Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 118 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    I have made around 10k from tips, its nice, but I have spent most of it giving back to other authors foundries I have played lol. That's 10k based on 200ish playthroughs and around 150 actual ratings. I am guessing that those 15-20 min generic fast daily quests that have 15k+ views are probably making some solid AD.