test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Guardian fighters in PvP

kevinf08kevinf08 Member Posts: 432 Bounty Hunter
edited June 2013 in PvE Discussion
I don't play a GF, but I get owned by them on the regular.

Could anyone share some tips on how to play against them? Seems they are a little overpowered with they're constant knockdowns, but that is only my view with very little knowledge of how the class works.

Edit: thanks everyone for the replies, some of this I kind of assumed was the case but really wasn't really sure about so I didn't always play to these perceived weaknesses. The knight's challenge info is invaluable to me since I had no clue what that red line was.
Post edited by kevinf08 on

Comments

• Options
    nullwolf1nullwolf1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    It'll help people if you'll let them know what class you're playing when getting owned...
  • Options
    malvoumalvou Member Posts: 556 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Crowd Control. As a GF that PvP's a lot, I can tell you what kills me the most is being disabled. Stunlocking, holding, ability disabling powers will tear me down. Always get your team to group up against a GF.

Stick together with your team. Never try to go after a GF solo. Have someone with you.
  • Options
    tang56tang56 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    kevinf08 wrote: »

Could anyone share some tips on how to play against them? Seems they are a little overpowered with they're constant knockdowns, but that is only my view with very little knowledge of how the class works.

Bring a good rogue. Rogues are GF killers and often the only class I'll die to. Otherwise, you'll have to stick with a team member who can either wear down their block for you to CC or vice versa.

Weaknesses:
    -Limited guard meter
    -Block only works on targets in front of the GF(sneak behind>cc>done)
    -Slow if the lunges/rushes are on cool down.
    RIP Neverwinter 26/06/2014
  • Options
    kevinf08kevinf08 Member Posts: 432 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    So, about the guard meter, does it affect any of his skills? Or is it just an advantage to take his guard meter down so he can't block?
  • Options
    malvoumalvou Member Posts: 556 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Pretty much that.

If they're blocking. Attack with basic abilities to widdle it down. Then they're defenseless.
  • Options
    llfritzllllfritzll Member Posts: 215 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    main problem is maintaining the ability to fight back while breaking their block meter.

i wouldnt want to fight a GF in pvp. your only real chance is to manage to control them before they knock you down.

people will hate me for it, but i wouldnt care if they nerfed them to the ground in pvp if they would just fix pve so tanking didnt mean an endless stream of red circles under your feet, a constantly broken block meter, no ability to dodge, and then getting tossed around like a rag doll hoping you can stand up long enough to press the potion button before you die.
  • Options
    healhamstahealhamsta Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 572 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Nearly all GFs use the same rotation:
    Shield block their way slowly towards you like a tonberry to try & get in range of their deadly charge -> prone combo.

If you're a CW do what you do for everything: Spam attacks at range & stay away until you can get your Ice Knife off.
    If you're a DC, call for backup & chip away at the guard bar so that your teammates can eat the GF.
    If you're a TR, deft strike puts you right behind the GF or you could impossible to catch + Duelist fury to break the shield bar. (Impossible to catch as they'll most likely try to perma prone combo you if you're that close.
    GF vs GF? It's almost as bad as watching two DCs try to kill each other.
    Delve loot murdered my TR, DC, & GWF. Nerf Plox:
    I know that it sucks to no longer get gear to sell from the Dungeon Delve chest but it was truly overpowered.
  • Options
    vlayde9vlayde9 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    If GF uses Knight's Challenge on you(You and him turn red and there's a red "laser" connecting you both), either just run until it's gone or if your dailies are up, 1-2 shot him since you will do double damage as well.

Also, most GFs will start their stun lock chain as soon as they lunge/charge you, dodge after the charge and he's stuck using left click for awhile.

GF's can only block from the front, if you're melee, try running through him or around him.
  • Options
    healhamstahealhamsta Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 572 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    vlayde9 wrote: »
    If GF uses Knight's Challenge on you(You and him turn red and there's a red "laser connecting you both), either just run until it's gone or if your dailies are up, 1-2 shot him since you will do double damage as well.

GF's can only block from the front, if you're melee, try running through him or around him.

That would explain why random GFs suddenly take huge amounts of damage from me....they also tend to drop their shield when they do the laser pointer thingy. (Guess they're trying to go all out DPS)
    Delve loot murdered my TR, DC, & GWF. Nerf Plox:
    I know that it sucks to no longer get gear to sell from the Dungeon Delve chest but it was truly overpowered.
  • Options
    jetstream1point0jetstream1point0 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Pretty much dodge their skills while trying to break their guard. If it's a pub match, you're more than likely not going to get 1v1 though so good luck.
  • Options
    alphanutalphanut Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    My GF gets thrown around like a ping pong ball all while disabled and stunlocked. Then again, I don't really know what I'm doing.
  • Options
    shajib1234shajib1234 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    kevinf08 wrote: »

Edit: thanks everyone for the replies, some of this I kind of assumed was the case but really wasn't really sure about so I didn't always play to these perceived weaknesses. The knight's challenge info is invaluable to me since I had no clue what that red line was.

It really depends what class ur playing against it and in what situation.

1v1 against GF conqueror

TR
    If ur playing a rogue, you can pretty much go in and out of stealth attacking constantly and using your throwing daggers. The GF cant touch u while you use the stealth and attack combo.After that use impossible to catch and finish him off. Its a little slow, but considering the massive dps of a tr it should end pretty fast still.

CW

With the new update its a lot easier for cw to face a guardian fighter, especially the hard hitting conquerors 1 on 1. The trick is to keep the distance, if he comes close to you ur done for, so timing is very important. 1 possible combo is to start off with a ray of enfeeblement, followed by ray of frost. The reason ray of frost is because, it cannot be blocked by GFs anymore. After the 3rd chill, when he freezes off, immediately use entangling root followed by a chill strike. The reason why 2 cc spells back to back now is because cc now stacks on top of each other, meaning you can add to the duration of ur stun. While being stunned you can throw ur 2nd ray of enfeeblement and a repel, to push him back and make him regain his ground towards you. Repeat the combo till you think you can finish him off with ur at will or ur daily.

Basically this is how i managed to beat a guardian fighter that was kicking my CW's butt really hard before the update as they were killing me in like 3 hits using knights challenge and i could not break their guard fast enough. Thankfully, this new update now allows me to start off all variation of combos with a ray of frost to freeze them then mess with them till they are dead. The heavier your gear is the fast he will drop, i managed to drop a couple of 14.3ker gf conq using a 8.9k CW with that, which was not a cake walk before the update.

I have yet to try out some combination of attacks using a great weapon fighter i am building now against them, cant wait!

2v1

Say your a control wizard and you have a another class with you heading towards your base point where the GF conqueror is trying to capture. Once again you start off combat with a ray of frost to freeze him, then entangling root and chill strike. The duration of your cc should be enough for you and ur team mate to take him down, should take bout 4 seconds estimated to take him down.

Ok thats all the time i got for now, i hope this helps you take down your dreaded GF conquerors lol.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Oh! and 1 more thing

Hodor!
  • Options
    kr0owekr0owe Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 104 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    GF in PvP is true faceroll...

I'm top 1 99% of the time but I was that before patch to so don't complain on that one if you plan to do.

I also never lost a 1on1 against a GF, and I rarely lose a 1on1 against any class for that matter.

80% of my gametime is on the other hand made in PvP so I understand how most things work and thats may be why but I dont deny that GF are strong in PvP.
    shajib1234 wrote: »
    It really depends what class ur playing against it and in what situation.

1v1 against GF conqueror

TR
    If ur playing a rogue, you can pretty much go in and out of stealth attacking constantly and using your throwing daggers. The GF cant touch u while you use the stealth and attack combo.After that use impossible to catch and finish him off. Its a little slow, but considering the massive dps of a tr it should end pretty fast still.

Haha we cant? TR's being invisible is just an illusion, you can see their knife, you can see them for a while after they gone invisible and they get visible when getting close to you.

If you see them stealted but cant target them use surge, if they getting close and get vissible so you can target, use bulls charge. Are they using smoke, block, use bulls charge or surge in... Yes thats right in the smoke. Are they getting invisible in fight you may have an idea of where they are if you dont see knife, throw a surge, finish fight.

TR's are worthless in PvP and I actually feel sorry for them but then they are probably also the only class that could 1shot you if they get the chanse, CW's daily isnt to play with either but they also got to get the chanse doing so.
  • Options
    granville7482granville7482 Member Posts: 191 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    After the last patch I dont care what build the TR is and what gear he is wearing, once you figure out how to see stealth they are torn to shreds or run away. Smoke bomb, impossible to catch, whatever. Throw tene-bros knives. You'll still die. Before the patch? I got one shotted all the time. Now GWF....went from faceroll with Cleave while smoking a cigarette with other hand to....WTF I DONT EVEN!
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    kr0owe wrote: »

If you see them stealted but cant target them use surge

Interesting, i'll try it out next time servers are back up.
  • Options
    abombination247abombination247 Member Posts: 1,279 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    As a GF I blocked Ice knife and SE now. I have a pretty high guard meter with str build. Also ate a double daily Ice knife back to back no block up. It did take me down below 50% life though at 48% dmg reduction. The only thing that a CW needs to do is blink fast and far away. They have a lot more dodging now since patch I noticed. If I don't 2-3 shot someone on my GF I am really disappointed. Also a good GF can rotate and block attacks from front and back with quick turning. I don't seem to have much of a problem with a rogue getting behing me. Just turn around blow him away. Drop my daily so I am immune to cc and daze. Most GF's are bad at blocking using a mouse to rotate and leave there back side open. If a rogue goes stealth I know hes there 9/10 he doesn't get a opening on me. When he gets close I can see him in stealth. Keep spinning then bull rush him in stealth he goes flying and is CC when he gets out. Now I opened on him :)
  • Options
    kr0owekr0owe Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 104 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    As a GF I blocked Ice knife and SE now. I have a pretty high guard meter with str build. Also ate a double daily Ice knife back to back no block up. It did take me down below 50% life though at 48% dmg reduction. The only thing that a CW needs to do is blink fast and far away. They have a lot more dodging now since patch I noticed. If I don't 2-3 shot someone on my GF I am really disappointed. Also a good GF can rotate and block attacks from front and back with quick turning. I don't seem to have much of a problem with a rogue getting behing me. Just turn around blow him away. Drop my daily so I am immune to cc and daze. Most GF's are bad at blocking using a mouse to rotate and leave there back side open. If a rogue goes stealth I know hes there 9/10 he doesn't get a opening on me. When he gets close I can see him in stealth. Keep spinning then bull rush him in stealth he goes flying and is CC when he gets out. Now I opened on him :)

I also taken 2 iceknifes from 2 CW's after each other (yesterday in fact) and got something like 50% left, and some other none dangerus Ice knifes so they actually nerfed Ice knife? I belived it was just bad geared CW's cuz i have before gotten hit for 48k with that skill which means 1shot.

Guard meter depends on Con, not Str.

Usually when i block i just hit block button and then release and I only block hard attacks or else i waste my reckless atacker, I also use block to cansel skills like Tide of Iron if used wrong.

I also do the same for stealted Rogues, keep spinning, hitting bulls when they appear or surge as i said before if i see knife, you can also apply a Tide of Iron while they are prone stealthed (I like Tide of Iron). (:
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    I also taken 2 iceknifes from 2 CW's after each other (yesterday in fact) and got something like 50% left, and some other none dangerus Ice knifes so they actually nerfed Ice knife? I belived it was just bad geared CW's cuz i have before gotten hit for 48k with that skill which means 1shot.

Guard meter depends on Con, not Str.

Usually when i block i just hit block button and then release and I only block hard attacks or else i waste my reckless atacker, I also use block to cansel skills like Tide of Iron if used wrong.

I also do the same for stealted Rogues, keep spinning, hitting bulls when they appear or surge as i said before if i see knife, you can also apply a Tide of Iron while they are prone stealthed (I like Tide of Iron). (:

Well threatening rush just by far a better skill for mobility then Tide. I would like a buff to Tide. Dmg and debuff. and duration.

I have 25 str for dps and it does increase guard meter. :)
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Well threatening rush just by far a better skill for mobility then Tide. I would like a buff to Tide. Dmg and debuff. and duration.

I have 25 str for dps and it does increase guard meter. :)

Hm, got to check that when ingame, im pretty sure it's Con but yeah i have to check that. (:

I got 22 Str, 24 Con and 16 Dex (with buff), didnt want to bumb everything into Str with PvE in mind, in fact i never been a fan of bumping all stats in one place.

I used Threatening Rush before but decided to go with Tide of Iron instead, i also love the animations of Tide of Iron cuz it looks bad *** and has no big use (if any use at all) in PvE.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Hm, got to check that when ingame, im pretty sure it's Con but yeah i have to check that. (:

I got 22 Str, 24 Con and 16 Dex (with buff), didnt want to bumb everything into Str with PvE, in fact i never been a fan of bumping all stats in one place.

I used Threatening Rush before but decided to go with Tide of Iron instead, i also love the animations of Tide of Iron cuz it looks bad *** and has no big use (if any use) in PvE.

Yea gotcha check it out but when I looked at 25 str it was a % guard increase. I don't know if there is a point say 23str + where it is a benefit but I will look as well when game comes back up. Dex will no properly work with arm pen in this maint I hear. For PvE I just like to do damage and well without dual specs since I mainly PvP. There was only 1 choice for me.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Yea gotcha check it out but when I looked at 25 str it was a % guard increase. I don't know if there is a point say 23str + where it is a benefit but I will look as well when game comes back up. Dex will no properly work with arm pen in this maint I hear. For PvE I just like to do damage and well without dual specs since I mainly PvP. There was only 1 choice for me.

Yes, Dex seems kinda pointless actually. :/

GF was my first charakter and is my main and GF never was what i expected (didnt even have PvP in mind when i started), i also belived Dex to be crit, probably not alone on that one... :P
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Yes, Dex seems kinda pointless actually. :/

GF was my first charakter and is my main and GF never was what i expected (didnt even have PvP in mind when i started), i also belived Dex to be crit, probably not alone on that one... :P

Well having 15dex makes it easier to hit the 22% arm pen cap you want for Dps.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Well having 15dex makes it easier to hit the 22% arm pen cap you want for Dps.

True, but sometime i wonder if those points wouldnt be better spent somewhere else, hard to tell but I do fine and cant realy complain on my GF. (:

EDIT: Just read latest patchnotes, "Dexterity now properly increases Armor Penetration" for GF. :D
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    True, but sometime i wonder if those points wouldnt be better spent somewhere else, hard to tell but I do fine and cant realy complain on my GF. (:

EDIT: Just read latest patchnotes, "Dexterity now properly increases Armor Penetration" for GF. :D

Yea the dex fix will be huge since I already stack it. I am about 20% with Ioun stone.

Just checked my char page. 25 str = 15% guard meter, 15% dot resist, 15% damage buff :)
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Yea the dex fix will be huge since I already stack it. I am about 20% with Ioun stone.

Just checked my char page. 25 str = 15% guard meter, 15% dot resist, 15% damage buff :)

Hm you was right, haha allways belived it was Con... Oh well still need those 24 Con for AP/HP and this patch just made me fall in love with my dex.