test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Poll. Free to Play vs Subscription.

dopybkssdopybkss Member Posts: 9 Arc User
edited June 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
Sorry if this has come up before but I couldn't actually find any polls on this or how to start a proper one.
A couple of threads Ive posted will reveal how I feel about this but the game does seem to have quite a healthy player base currently. So with that in mind, what do you guys really feel about the so called Free to Play model? If you are happy with it, do you actually spend any money on it?
Would really like to get a feel of what the player base feels about it.
Post edited by dopybkss on

Comments

• ashensnowashensnow Member Posts: 2,215 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Tangent:

I prefer Buy to Play with a cash shop full of non game balance affecting items, particularly cosmetic options.

I have resolved to avoid subscription based MMOs in the future. I have the money to spend, but have been disappointed time and again by the games themselves.

'Caine, miss you bud. Fly high.
  • dopybkssdopybkss Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Depends on the games you choose to play I suppose. Ive played many MMOs, mostly subscription, some of which have gone F2P.
    Many of the games you are referring to are possibly Korean released? Ive never personally played one. What I will say is that I suspect that the quality of subscription based games are superior to their F2P counterparts. And are more polished when they hit the shelves on final release.
  • zaarel2zaarel2 Member Posts: 87 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I prefer and likely always will prefer straight subscription with no cash shop that sells anything beyond cosmetics. I mean no boosts of any kind. I realize I am screwed though because the industry has realized that once you get them hooked they will spend more via cash shop over time than via sub in many games.
  • s3pts3pt Member Posts: 177 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    I much prefer subscription as I get everything the game has to offer with an upfront cost and no nickle and dime nonsense. 2nd preference would be b2p with a reasonable cash shop that only sells cosmetics or fluff.
  • zlainfurryzlainfurry Banned Users Posts: 163 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    I prefer P2P games, there is a certain lvl of quality you have to maintain when your game is based on the model, that is simply ignored and thrown away in every F2P game.

That said. i wouldn't touch this game with a 15ft pole if it was a monthly model and even though the items and such i purchased with zen are helpful, i don't plan on buying anymore purely based on the lvl of commitment PWE seems to have for the game.
    edited June 2013
    I agree. Its a sign of the times I think. I came into the genre from WoW, (still subscription), I might add. Eve Online as well. Seems its a dyeing breed. As I mentioned in another thread, Elder Scrolls will not be F2P on final release. Quality MMOs, such as LOTRO, Age Of Conan, only go F2P (microtransactions) when their player base dimishes.
  • klugemaker1klugemaker1 Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    B2P with extensive cosmetic cash shop.

Subs are just not needed anymore but F2P well now that just lets anyone and everyone get into the game even if they are banned over and over..... (nothing personal of course, its mostly me not you.)
    edited June 2013
    dopybkss wrote: »
    I agree. Its a sign of the times I think. I came into the genre from WoW, (still subscription), I might add. Eve Online as well. Seems its a dyeing breed. As I mentioned in another thread, Elder Scrolls will not be F2P on final release. Quality MMOs, such as LOTRO, Age Of Conan, only go F2P (microtransactions) when their player base dimishes.

I was hoping ESO wouldn't be F2P, looking forward to that one.
    edited June 2013
    I could be tragically wrong!
  • warkupozwarkupoz Member Posts: 43
    edited June 2013
    I don't like paying subscription fees (most of those games go f2p after the initial hype dies off anyway). I'll buy a game, but I'm only going to buy it once.

Cash Shops are fine with me provided they don't hinder the rest of the game. I'll even buy <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> from them if I think the item in question is reasonably priced and worth the purchase. Typically I won't spend more than 10 dollars on any cash shop item, however; by that point the cash shop item is now competing with some 10 dollar indie game, and I promise you that an ENTIRE VIDEO GAME is always going to win out over some stupid dress.

40 dollars for a stupid horse? Seriously? I'll just buy Saints Row 3 or something.
  • osadamaskosadamask Member Posts: 137 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    B2P with cosmetics was the preference. Hard to go back now though.
  • izoldaizolda Member Posts: 64 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Sub Neverwinter = dead neverwinter.

Inb4 anyone says Sub = better quality.
  • xhritxhrit Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    This game has 8 million users and is not out of beta yet.

World of Warcraft has 9 million users.

Just sayin'.
  • dominemesisdominemesis Member Posts: 269 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    dopybkss wrote: »
    Sorry if this has come up before but I couldn't actually find any polls on this or how to start a proper one.
    A couple of threads Ive posted will reveal how I feel about this but the game does seem to have quite a healthy player base currently. So with that in mind, what do you guys really feel about the so called Free to Play model? If you are happy with it, do you actually spend any money on it?
    Would really like to get a feel of what the player base feels about it.

I've spent money on NW, trying to give it a fair shake since OB started, and I have to say, at this juncture I much prefer subscription to "free" to play. Many features that I have become accustomed to as being part of an MMO game are being charged for in this, and the whole model constantly destroys immersion by bringing me and my wallet back to front.

When I played WoW, I paid my monthly sub fee and I never felt that or was reminded of that in game. In Neverwinter I am hit all the time with the zen shop; buy a bag, buy a faster mount, buy a bank slot, buy a companion. I feel the monetization in every aspect of NW and on top of breaking immersion, it starts to feel cheap, like I am getting hit up by a used car salesman for nickle and dime micro-transactions every few minutes. So I think once I have had my fill of Neverwinter, which is getting closer by the day, (I don't see myself playing NW anymore in the next few weeks after I've checked out post launch and the new class) I will likely try to never go in for a "Free" to play game again. My honest opinion.
    edited June 2013
    xhrit wrote: »
    This game has 8 million users and is not out of beta yet.

World of Warcraft has 9 million users.

Just sayin'.

Where are you getting your numbers for neverwinter from? Source?
  • sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    8 million users? Here? So, we are just making up numbers now?

Don't get me wrong, I like Cryptic and NW has potential. But you got a decimal point in the wrong place there.
  • theviking2006theviking2006 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 817 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    sockmunkey wrote: »
    8 million users? Here? So, we are just making up numbers now?

Don't get me wrong, I like Cryptic and NW has potential. But you got a decimal point in the wrong place there.

We are making up numbers now, didnt you get the memo?

8000% of people who play Neverwinter hate the BOP patch, except me.
    19 Billion people on the planet and we have resources for everyone
    32 million people are expected to be playing Neverwinter at launch.
  • sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Well that would explain why they havent merged the servers yet :p
    edited June 2013
    I've spent money on NW, trying to give it a fair shake since OB started, and I have to say, at this juncture I much prefer subscription to "free" to play. Many features that I have become accustomed to as being part of an MMO game are being charged for in this, and the whole model constantly destroys immersion by bringing me and my wallet back to front.

When I played WoW, I paid my monthly sub fee and I never felt that or was reminded of that in game. In Neverwinter I am hit all the time with the zen shop; buy a bag, buy a faster mount, buy a bank slot, buy a companion. I feel the monetization in every aspect of NW and on top of breaking immersion, it starts to feel cheap, like I am getting hit up by a used car salesman for nickle and dime micro-transactions every few minutes. So I think once I have had my fill of Neverwinter, which is getting closer by the day, (I don't see myself playing NW anymore in the next few weeks after I've checked out post launch and the new class) I will likely try to never go in for a "Free" to play game again. My honest opinion.

Couldn't agree with this more. Stick and carrot syndrome. Old as the hills really. And if I remember correctly, the levelling curve was perfectly set in vanilla WoW. I fondly remember striving to save enough gold for my first mount. It was hard work rewarded, and in my case, I mean that. On a side note, Ive always hated XP boosters. But now its just if you got the spondooleys, then its yours. Oh how times have changed.
  • theviking2006theviking2006 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 817 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013

You dont need to buy any of that, and as far as I have played it hasnt forced it upon you either. Its not Cryptic or PWE's fault you're weak with your wallet