test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Question: Spawning an NPC of the same race as the player

winterswitchwinterswitch Member Posts: 95 Arc User
edited June 2013 in The Foundry
Hey all.

I'm interested to know if there's a relatively easy way to bank information about a player's race, so that I can program my quest to spawn an NPC of similar look. (One of the four ending options allows you to reunite with a family member.)

The plan would be to have a dialogue very early on where this info is obtained from the player. But how to keep it "stored" so that I can use it much later? Some kind of dropped token? Seems really clunky.

Thanks.
The Green Zone (NW-DP66H66F6): Train at a top-secret Goblin military installation.
Hive Mind (NW-DN9YKEVUS): Get inside a crashed alien ship to discover its purpose.
Absolute Zero (NW-DOVUXHT8P): Activate a massive teleportation machine to pursue an evil mastermind.
Post edited by winterswitch on

Comments

• mosby1mosby1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 288 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    I guess you have a dialogue which asks the player for his/her race?

You could spawn the appropriate NPC based on that dialogue, but it would have to be in the same map, and not part of the main Story objectives.
    DM's Studio - NW-DHZ5DAV4R
    The Cursed Emerald:
    1. Weird of the Weather-witch -- NW-DEZAK4QPA
    2. The Ambitious Apprentice -- NW-DLRAVW4S4
  • winterswitchwinterswitch Member Posts: 95 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Thanks for the quick reply, Mosby. (Love the DM's Studio, btw.)

Ya, but it would be a couple maps down the line when the spawn takes place.
    The Green Zone (NW-DP66H66F6): Train at a top-secret Goblin military installation.
    Hive Mind (NW-DN9YKEVUS): Get inside a crashed alien ship to discover its purpose.
    Absolute Zero (NW-DOVUXHT8P): Activate a massive teleportation machine to pursue an evil mastermind.
  • ash4llash4ll Member Posts: 231 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    The only way to take information between maps is via quest items. I'm waiting for cryptic to make variables bound to quest.
    Review trades - Need to trade review? Read first post for further info.
    Siegebreaker - NW-DGDPWV2U5 - story about the ambush, escape and great rescue of the city.
    I'm a streamer and I know it!
  • meedacthunistmeedacthunist Member Posts: 3,085
    edited June 2013
    Since the only way to carry information between maps is with use of quest items, your only way is to have dialogue asking player about his race.
    Now, this dialogue can't give player an item, but you can spawn interactable object on player response - do it as one object per choice, a chest or a bag for example. Then tell player to interact with this object. This object will give player an adequate quest item.

Now you have variable in player inventory which can be used to recognise his/her race in dialogues and whatnot (I'm not sure if you can make NPC visible/invisible if player has item).

It's a very clunky way, but as it is now, there is no other solution.