test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Armor looks pretty practical

lonnehartlonnehart Member Posts: 846 Arc User
edited June 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
Yep. No women running around in metal bikinis with the ability to withstand the full breath of a dragon. No guys running around in shorts and flexing their arms all over the place while having the ability to deflect a sky full of arrows and such.

And I've seen complaints in game chat about how the armor isn't skimpy enough and some players even running around without the underlying shirt and pants, forgoing protection for asthetics.

And no should pads over 100 times the size of the character wearing them showing up either. Why would anyone wear shoulderpads so big that they block your vision to the sides?
*sings* "I like Gammera! He's so neat!!! He is full of turtle meat!!!"

"Hah! You are doomed! You're only armed with that pathetic excuse for a musical instrument!!!" *the Savage Beast moments before Lonnehart the Bard used music to soothe him... then beat him to death with his Fat Lute*
Post edited by lonnehart on

Comments

• Options
    valetudo78valetudo78 Member Posts: 189 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Real armor doesnt shape over <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>, it squishes them down.
  • Options
    skalt112skalt112 Member Posts: 1,089 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Art Styles differ from game to game.
  • Options
    larjwonlarjwon Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    lonnehart wrote: »
    And I've seen complaints in game chat about how the armor isn't skimpy enough and some players even running around without the underlying shirt and pants, forgoing protection for aesthetics.
    Probably Night Elves on World Of Warcraft

Personally I think the designs of armour, world maps and particle and spell effects are amazing as they are. I hope they dont change anything to suit players from other MMOs
  • Options
    ovaltine74ovaltine74 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    valetudo78 wrote: »
    Real armor doesnt shape over <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>, it squishes them down.

Just another reason fantasy games are better than reality.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    NW-DMIME87F5
    Awaiting a serious response from the developers on the abuse of the review system by other authors.

Video Preview
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    I mean... think about it. No matter how "magical" that G-string/thong/speedo is, there's no way you can fully withstand the breath of a dragon. Unless it was made by a diety... a very powerful (and perverted) diety...

"Hah! You are doomed! You're only armed with that pathetic excuse for a musical instrument!!!" *the Savage Beast moments before Lonnehart the Bard used music to soothe him... then beat him to death with his Fat Lute*
  • Options
    meedacthunistmeedacthunist Member Posts: 3,085
    edited June 2013
    At any rate armor in NW isn't practical nor realistic.
    Real medieval armor wasn't skin tight, especially not chainmail parts. Weapons weren't oversized chunks of metal.

You'd end killed wearing something like this. Metal is a very good heat conductor.

What we have in NW is as unrealistic as chainmail bikinis and frankly, only art style is different.

A fantasy MMO with realistic armor would be really boring, not to mention would end with even less variety in armors than NW has now (there are only two systems of historical platemail and both look very similar).
  • Options
    ovaltine74ovaltine74 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Well the Celts fought naked. Granted they weren't fighting dragons.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    NW-DMIME87F5
    Awaiting a serious response from the developers on the abuse of the review system by other authors.

Video Preview
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    ovaltine74 wrote: »
    Well the Celts fought naked. Granted they weren't fighting dragons.

I read about that. But they weren't invincible either.

• Options
    couatl13couatl13 Member Posts: 112 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I read about that. But they weren't invincible either.

No, but the berserkers were close enough.
  • Options
    frariifrarii Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Odds in a "realistic" medieval fight were that you'll die if you fought no matter the armor you wore, platemails and heavy cavalry were only for nobles and they stood outside of the fight while infantry and "trained" peasants slaughtered eachothers and then trampled to the battleground with their armored heavy horses like panzers, squished a few exhausted fellas, and call it a day... a single wound in that era was mortal half of the time due to infections...

A "realistic" medieval fantasy game would be awful, because 95% of the players would be some sort of peasants that wont even know how to read and the game would be : sow, reap, repeat.
  • Options
    talesmithtalesmith Member Posts: 116
    edited June 2013
    The berserk fighters came from viking culture I'm pretty sure, not celtic. Weren't it also the celts who were quite proficient at making an early version of chainmail?
  • Options
    sallee132sallee132 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 2
    edited June 2013
    i love how armor in Neverwinter looks like,i dont like skimpy armor and my brother who plays this game whould never play it if game has skimpy armors.

<removed the remainder as it was an inappropriate discussion>
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    tang56 wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with playing a female character.

I agree with that. However, how about almost every character in the game being a female wearing very VERY skimpy 2 piece (and nearly stringy) chainmail?

That sort of thing can get old. How bad can that be? My main joke about this also got old...

Me: Man, those skimpily armored women give me a headache.
    Someone in Zone Chat: Take an aspirin then!
    Me: No. I just have to wear looser pants.

*groan*

• Options
    edited June 2013
    I agree with that. However, how about almost every character in the game being a female wearing very VERY skimpy 2 piece (and nearly stringy) chainmail?
    Frankly?
    I don't care. My main is female half orc and she wears graywolf leathers and those are covering even more than plate models. Kind of nice tribal look for savage warriors. Too bad there is no matching fur lined plate boots ingame. Or crude leather pants and shirts for warriors.
    But in general those things should be left to players, unless it's against the game's age rating, for example - then it needs to be controlled.
    I'm not paying too much attention to other toons, anyway.
  • Options
    roierroier Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    larjwon wrote: »
    Probably Night Elves on World Of Warcraft

Personally I think the designs of armour, world maps and particle and spell effects are amazing as they are. I hope they dont change anything to suit players from other MMOs

Totally agree :D this game has soul that other pretty games lack :D
  • Options
    araifuloveraraifulover Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    That is actually one of my biggest turn offs of the game, it takes itself too seriously for a fantasy game.

I love ridiculous costumes.
  • Options
    mutantdemocracymutantdemocracy Member Posts: 497 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    And no should pads over 100 times the size of the character wearing them showing up either. Why would anyone wear shoulderpads so big that they block your vision to the sides?

Beserk Champion Armor for GFWs.

If you every use the AFK or sit emotes, the shoulder pads clip into your face.
  • Options
    prolegapprolegap Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    frarii wrote: »
    Odds in a "realistic" medieval fight were that you'll die if you fought no matter the armor you wore, platemails and heavy cavalry were only for nobles and they stood outside of the fight while infantry and "trained" peasants slaughtered eachothers and then trampled to the battleground with their armored heavy horses like panzers, squished a few exhausted fellas, and call it a day... a single wound in that era was mortal half of the time due to infections...

A "realistic" medieval fantasy game would be awful, because 95% of the players would be some sort of peasants that wont even know how to read and the game would be : sow, reap, repeat.

I pretty much agree. And, based on research, the vast majority of fatal combat wounds throughout the history were to the legs, as those are the part of your body that tends to stay the most in one place in a melee, and the most difficult to defend even if you have a shield.
    These are some of the armors the great armies of the worlds have worn. In other words, Alexander the Great took over a large part of the world with an army wearing linen corsets for protection.
    None of the above suits will stop a dragon breath, but neither will non-magical plate armor. And the most important rule with armor has always been to favor mobility and practicality over protection, as it's better to not get hit in the first place, than to get hit in heavy armor. Full plate will offer you only so much protection, and it's hot, costly and troublesome to maintain, and likely to cause you all manner of pain when you wear it for long periods of time without any breaks.
  • Options
    talesmithtalesmith Member Posts: 116
    edited June 2013
    Yes but we aren't anoher run of the mill commoner or lowly peasant, we are the hero! As such we would have the best equipment available to heroes such as ourselves.
    Not that the concept of hero translates well to realism regardless. :p
  • Options
    figgefigge Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    frarii wrote: »

So pretty much like every MMO then?
  • Options
    stormdrag0nstormdrag0n Member Posts: 3,222 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    talesmith wrote: »
    The berserk fighters came from viking culture I'm pretty sure, not celtic. Weren't it also the celts who were quite proficient at making an early version of chainmail?

Yep they also had iron swords when the Romans were still using bronze for the bulk of their infantry, one of the smart thing the romans did was not shake a culture up too much once they conquered it, they actually adapted many of the celts weaponry not that they ever actually conquered the celt.

The culture was more or less decimated by Christianity instead, a clear picture of what the culture was like really wasn't re-discovered until the early twentieth century and the church still tried to stifle it. They weren't half naked savages worshiping trees and sacrificing their daughters, that's all Christian revisionism to justify the butchery and reformation of a entire culture.
    Always Looking for mature laidback players/rpers for Dungeon Delves!
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    The only group of Celts fighting naked were so-called Gaetasarae. To this day it isn't clear if they were kind of warrior brotherhood, mercenaries, religious fanatics, or less civilised Celtic tribe. They were pretty niche. Rest of Celts was equipped as good, and sometimes better, than Romans.

Also, Roman montefortino helmets, chainmail tunics, cavalry saddles and few earlier sword models were adapted from Celts. Majority of Roman equipment was copied from someone, if not from Greeks or other Italics, then from Celts or Iberians.
  • Options
    stormdrag0nstormdrag0n Member Posts: 3,222 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    The only group of Celts fighting naked were so-called Gaetasarae. To this day it isn't clear if they were kind of warrior brotherhood, mercenaries, religious fanatics, or less civilised Celtic tribe. They were pretty niche. Rest of Celts was equipped as good, and sometimes better, than Romans.

Yep and there is a plethora of evidence that shows the Gaetasarae really were Gaul Mercs, they certainly had many of the germanic characteristics of the Gauls.
    Always Looking for mature laidback players/rpers for Dungeon Delves!