test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

zen prices and profession time frames seem way too high

shaneo8709shaneo8709 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 21 Arc User
edited June 2013 in PvE Discussion
zen prices seem ridiculously overpriced and unreasonable, cutting the prices would convince a lot more people to purchase things im sure. even with the new sale and zen price cuts for certain items its still crazy overpriced to me. especially since things like the nightmare lockboxes and the profession assets are basically a big gamble. i understand people can trade diamonds for zen but those are limited per day and the exchange rate rises it makes it more difficult for a player to truly be free to play for even minor conveniences like bank slots, character slots, and respec tokens. maybe it just seems like so much to me because i like to play multiple characters and would have to purchase some things multiple times that makes it seem like the cost adds up way too quickly, but even so it seems high. consider giving a 15 dollar "allowance" to imitate what you would pay for a pay to play MMO, you could get 2 respecs an entire month and be basically out of zen. whereas in other mmos you can do that extremely easily with in game currency. it limits the players choices to experiment with powers and feats to make respec for powers and feats cost so much. now with the major changes we were given free respec tokens and i do appreciate that, it was a good move; but the cost of general respec for feats and powers seems high

professions here though, seem to be an after thought just so the MMO crowd that is used to having it can do it. it seems that with prayers to the deities and questing you far outlevel professions' usefulness while level way too easily. the time it takes to level professions is staggering really, even cutting it in half seems really high. of course you could pay heavily on a gamble for profession packs to cut this down to reasonable levels...if you dont mind spending large amounts of money just to make something mildly more useful, but still not very good. rare profession missions seem like a bad idea as well, just make them permanent. by the time you get a rare profession task you might want to use, you likely out leveled its usefulness.
Post edited by shaneo8709 on

Comments

• lerdocixlerdocix Member Posts: 897 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    If prices were too high people would not buy it.
    Prices stay, therefore there is enough people buying zen and items to maintain the price.
    Because YOU can't afford something doesn't mean everyone can't.
  • lednaillednail Member Posts: 99
    edited June 2013
    They should just make everything free and all the best gear available and crafting instantaneous and fusing 100% chance so that they receive absolutely no revenue and eventually have to shut down servers because they can't afford them. JS
  • ranncoreranncore Member, Moderators, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 2,508
    edited June 2013
    a single t2 helm is worth more than a tier 3 zen store mount.

you'll think differently about the prices once you hit level 60.
  • shaneo8709shaneo8709 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    i didnt say anything even close to what you are referring to lednail. and i didnt say the prices weren't affordable to the point people cant buy them lerdocix, i made the point they seem high and unreasonably priced. could i spend 10 dollars on a cheeseburger? sure. do i think thats reasonable and many people will buy it? no. yeah, i can afford them, but the costs still seem stupidly high. cutting the cost means people can be more free to purchase respecs to experiment and find what they like, customize color with dyes how they like, etc. without paying a hefty amount. people are more likely to be willing to spend the smaller amounts more often, it benefits consumer and seller. take bank slots for example, 6 bucks for a paltry few spaces? i dont think many people want to pay that when they can create a new account or just send mail to themselves for free extra space. a lower cost would increase sales and provide a happier customer base. i like the game and purchased a guardian pack. i have no problem supporting the game. but i do have a problem supporting pricing on certain items.

and lednail's comments of everything free, giving best gear, instant crafting, fusing 100% arent even close to anything i said. im talking about reasonable reductions, not eliminations, to add balance and a better feel to the crafting. ive played plenty of mmo's and so far i think the crafting in this game is easily the worst and least beneficial so far. so while im trying to lay out legitimate ideas and reasoning for my suggestions, you two seem to just ignore the points and say im wrong. everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but please at least provide some rationale or criticism instead of just saying "no, you're wrong"
    edited June 2013
    shaneo8709 wrote: »
    everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but please at least provide some rationale or criticism instead of just saying "no, you're wrong"

It's my opinion that you have received this game for free and play it for free and that your post about prices needing to be lowered because they're "ridiculously too high" is really just you saying, "I want more free stuff." How's that for rational opinionated criticism?
  • casekukcasekuk Member Posts: 203 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I have to agree with the OP here. Zen prices ARE too high, and what I can never understand is companies with this exact attitude.

It has been shown again and again that lower prices mean better profits, because more people can afford to buy and that 'obviously' leads to larger sales margins! Its common sense more than anything.

And yes your right Lerdocix, people will pay the inflated prices, but you are wrong to say the OP cant afford to buy them himself, this is not the point he is making!

And Lednail, honestly? Do you really think putting words like 'I want free stuff' into the mouth of the OP is rationale? or even helpful to this discussion in anyway? I cant for the life of me see what you have gotten hold of in the OP's posts to dislike him so much, that you want to try and make him look stupid?

Its his opinion, and I agree with him from a common sense point of view. Companies are stupid to price things too highly when more reasonable prices will bring in more revenue.. ESPECIALLY in the MMO world, because every single player 'want's' whats available. Supply and demand is not a problem. But for MANY people, the 'price' is. I return Ledocix's quote here... Just because you CAN afford it, doesn't mean everyone can!

I will further agree with his point about re-specing... I simply will not pay that amount to do it! 150k for EACH respec? As the OP pointed out this severely cuts down on experimentation and pulls nearly all the fun out of 'playing with your characters build', which is very much part of the MMO experience. This price is LUDICROUSLY high.

Folks on these forums are SO quick to just say people are 'wrong' without actually thinking about it themselves.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Part 1: A Mysterious Portal: - NW-DIKGSOTWT
    Part 2: Into the forest: Out now - NW DAVOJC8N7
    Part 3: Through the portal: 50% Finished!
    Part 4: Lvl 113

Does YOUR FOUNDRY need more plays? Try this thread: Click here
    edited June 2013
    Once again.. another person that has gotten a game for free and is able to play it for free.. Looking at $60 retail for the game and then $15 monthly sub... for free... ALL of the items you could ever want in this game are available to you FOR FREE. You just have to spend the time. Complaining that the prices are some how restrictive when you've most likely paid little to no money to play is asinine. We're all entitled to our opinions.
  • shaneo8709shaneo8709 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    lednail wrote: »
    Once again.. another person that has gotten a game for free and is able to play it for free.. Looking at $60 retail for the game and then $15 monthly sub... for free... ALL of the items you could ever want in this game are available to you FOR FREE. You just have to spend the time. Complaining that the prices are some how restrictive when you've most likely paid little to no money to play is asinine. We're all entitled to our opinions.

as i've already said, i already bought a guardian pack, 60 dollars, that is the going rate for a new game. ive also bought 20 dollars in zen to check things out with. this is within a couple weeks. dont make assumptions that people are paying to support the game and want things free. i also never made the argument anything SHOULD be free, simply reduced. you still failed to bring rationale into the argument here. you just threw out assumptions that my true meaning was "i want free stuff" which is very untrue, i actually pay for items and the guardian pack because i DO want the game to succeed and wish to support it. i think that lowering the costs to increase the accessibility to players will provide a better experience for consumer and developer/publisher

@casekuk - thank you for bringing some sense and reasoning to your opinion, always nice to see someone posting thoughtfully
  • brostynbrostyn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    It's my opinion that you have received this game for free and play it for free and that your post about prices needing to be lowered because they're "ridiculously too high" is really just you saying, "I want more free stuff." How's that for rational opinionated criticism?

Saying he wants the price lowered means he wants free stuff? Do you always have a hard time understanding people? Is this a recurring issue for you?
  • brostynbrostyn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    LOL... you are a dense one. Do you see that Guardian tag under his display name? Guess what that means...
  • p0kerzp0kerz Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I agree with the OP. I caved and purchased a guardian pack and will be refraining myself from purchasing zen until they reduce some other items. The price reductions mentioned recently don't cover everything that should be reduced. They reduced the respec tokens to 300 zen ($3 or roughly 100k AD). I think that is still to high. People would buy those like crazy if they were reduced to 100 zen. And, they're pricing storage insanely high. Extra bank and bag space cost need to be reduced by at least 50%. Companions are a bit high since they aren't account wide. The main problem is I think whoever decides these costs value certain in-game items at an overpriced dollar amount (e.g. Adventurer's Helper Pack, Greater Stone of Health, Profession Asset Pack).
  • casekukcasekuk Member Posts: 203 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Brostyn is right Lednail, you are a dense one! I quite fairly offered you a way to backtrack, just a little and realise your mistake and offer an intelligent argument, rather than nonsense...

Yet instead of that, you accuse ME of wanting stuff for free too! LOL. Did you even read my post?

I too have spent more money on this game than I wanted too! I didn't buy the guardian pack, or founders, or any of that pre beta stuff because I think they are too expensive too! Especially the founders pack! I mean what was it, 180 bucks... Or there abouts anyway, we will use that amount for arguments sake. (oh point to make also... Im in the UK, so not dollars. In dollars 180 is about 280 ish so you'll just have to round everything out to what your prices are dependant on where in the world you are :))

I play with friends, always have, and I currently have about 10 who play this game in particular. Out of those 10 - ONE of us bought the founder pack, and many of us were shocked that even he did so! Jokes were made at his expense etc...

My point being... If that Founders pack had been 80 bucks... All of us would have bought it, I know this for a fact because when our one friend who bought it finally stopped being picked on, we talked about what would have made US buy it, and it was agreed that half price (so whatever that is) was a reasonable amount.

Thats 9 sales more equaling 720 bucks MORE the developers would have gotten from JUST us, just me and my friends!

Times that by the thousands upon thousands of 'others' who have the same mindset and PWE could have made a killing!

Instead they were greedy, as they are with the shop and zen! And what they ended up with from us was 180 bucks, rather than (if we include my original friend at the half price) 800!! (and I repeat again here.. this is JUST us!)

As for how much I've spent? I have bought 4 lots of Zen at 20 bucks each. and I will continue to pay out for Zen once a month, like a subscription. This is the way I always play, because I play a lot of MMO's and to pay for them all, all the time... well, I simply cant afford it.

So I have already paid more than the game would be if it was a shop bought game. I am paying what amounts to a subscription each month and I am doing my bit to support the game industry and PWE personally.

So DON'T come on here telling me what I'm saying.

Art.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Part 1: A Mysterious Portal: - NW-DIKGSOTWT
    Part 2: Into the forest: Out now - NW DAVOJC8N7
    Part 3: Through the portal: 50% Finished!
    Part 4: Lvl 113

Does YOUR FOUNDRY need more plays? Try this thread: Click here
  • yyrkoonstyphoonyyrkoonstyphoon Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 231 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I have to agree with the OP - everything seems out of wack for pricing. I am a hero of the north and do not mind supporting the game, but I have to say i have stopped at the purchase screen 3 times since and decided not to purchase simply because I do not feel I have received the proper value for my previous purchase. For my 2,000,000 ad i was able to get 2 greater bags of holding and 2 sets of 10 keys. I still have some ad left over but I feel this was far from what i had thought 2,000,000 ad would be worth ( played ddo and they use ad there... go figure - dropped about 700 in that game too - never felt that i made a bad purchase. ) I had to say that i was shocked to learn that 2 mill was not even enough to purchase any of the end game items available form ad vendors.

But between the keys, and the cost of something as simple as swapping out enhancements... i am not planning to spend any more money for a while till i see how things work. I toss the nightmare boxes (i opened 20 remind you) and same with enhancements. The idea of spending 10s of thousands to reslot something is a poor implementation imo. if it was several 100, I would be constantly swapping and would have likely bought more zen for this very purpose. but now, i consider a slotted enhancement throw away and do not slot on gear i assume is temporary. This implementation and the keys seem foolishly greedy compared to other mmos.

so my 2 foundry enhancements are now sitting in the bank because there is no reason to unslot them - they are barely worth a tier 3 slot (well 3 categories, but only 15 and a tier 3 gives 60 of a single...) and it will cost me 8k diamonds to un slot it...

so yeah, lower cost would actually encourage spending imo and I am not asking for free stuff, however, if a consumer does not feel they are getting their value.. sales are lost.