test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Cryptic, where is the variety?

zentucknorzentucknor Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
edited June 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
One of the things Cryptic has been known for is the fact their games allow for many different looks. NW has to be the least impressive game yet from Cryptic when it comes to giving a distinct look. I am curious why that is? I mean every armor, every weapon for every character looks the same. Oh sure you can buy color packs to change this up some but the base looks are all identical?

Also concern the weapon choices. Is it possible we will see weapon skins so say having a Dwarves means you can always have a hammer or axe? I mean even if you had to buy it, a simple skin to make the weapon the type that fits my characters background would be awesome.

Seriously, compared to other Cryptic games in this area NW falls short.
Ever ask a halfling to watch over your stuff while you visit the privy? Was it there when you returned?
Friar Kalien of Torm
10.jpg
Post edited by zentucknor on

Comments

• lerdocixlerdocix Member Posts: 897 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    You forgot about the part where this one game is not released yet and their other games weren't so customization friendly at release.
  • osadamaskosadamask Member Posts: 137 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Im just praying that they have a ****-ton of content and fixes coming with module 1 as well. Including making armor work for multiple classes. ex Cloth for Sorc/Mage/Wiz/Shaman....( might be wrong didnt check handbook) but yeah like that <--
  • xhritxhrit Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    zentucknor wrote: »
    I am curious why that is? I mean every armor, every weapon for every character looks the same.

That is not the way it is, you are just ignorant of the truth.

There are 4 basic different low level armor skins, and 4 different high level armor skins, for each of the 5 classes. Also there are 12 different unique skins, one for each instance. There is the dark armor of lolth that drops in the temple of the spider, the ork armor that drops in cloaktower, and the wolf's skin pelt that drops in the grey den.

Last there are 4 different costumes (peasant, noble, wedding, & jester).

And guess what? All of the sets look totally different.

Also concern the weapon choices. Is it possible we will see weapon skins so say having a Dwarves means you can always have a hammer or axe? I mean even if you had to buy it, a simple skin to make the weapon the type that fits my characters background would be awesome.

You mean, you want something exactly like what is already in game? You are in luck then, I guess. Because it is already in game.

sigh_zps8075c9a5.png
  • wuhsinwuhsin Banned Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    xhrit wrote: »
    That is not the way it is, you are just ignorant of the truth.

There are 4 basic different low level armor skins, and 4 different high level armor skins, for each of the 5 classes. And 12 different unique skins, like the dark armor of lolth, the ork armor, and the wolf's skin pelt.

That is not counting the 4 different costumes (peasant, noble, wedding, & jester).

And guess what? All of the sets look different.

I'll let you do figure out how many different looks are in the game total; you should be able to handle simple math.

As someone who's tried out every single armor set in the Foundry, I have to respectfully disagree. The only way the advanced wizard armors are different from the basic wizard armors is they are more bulky and spiky looking. Basically, they took the basic armor, and tweaked it to make it look more bulky, and put some spikes on it. This is basically the case with all the equipment. A wizard can't get necromancer robes, conjurer robes, abjuration robes, etc. They just get robes. Fighters can't get dragon scale armor, ankheg armor, mithril armor, blacksteel armor, etc. Just armor that gets more bulky looking as you level up...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2013
    Oh, and rogue armor is terribad. Delete all the rogue armor, hire a graphic designer who knows what a rogue is to design new rogue armor, please. If I had a set of this game's advanced rogue armor in real life, I could not walk in it, or get through a simple doorway without causing a buttload of noise, because it's too bulky.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • nwroguenwrogue Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    wuhsin wrote: »
    As someone who's tried out every single armor set in the Foundry, I have to respectfully disagree. The only way the advanced wizard armors are different from the basic wizard armors is they are more bulky and spiky looking. Basically, they took the basic armor, and tweaked it to make it look more bulky, and put some spikes on it. This is basically the case with all the equipment. A wizard can't get necromancer robes, conjurer robes, abjuration robes, etc. They just get robes. Fighters can't get dragon scale armor, ankheg armor, mithril armor, blacksteel armor, etc. Just armor that gets more bulky looking as you level up...

A wizard can't get necromancer/conjurer/abjurer because it isn't either of those classifications. Seriously?
    Milla Jovovich(Rogue)/Tilda Swinton(Cleric) - Guild Leader of CatAssTrophy on Beholder
    edited June 2013
    nwrogue wrote: »
    A wizard can't get necromancer/conjurer/abjurer because it isn't either of those classifications. Seriously?

Oh right. Wizards all use the same spells in this. No such thing as different types of magic in D&D, apparently... -sarcasm-
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • osadamaskosadamask Member Posts: 137 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    those ugly masks.
    edited June 2013
    Oh right. Wizards all use the same spells in this. No such thing as different types of magic in D&D, apparently... -sarcasm-

There are no spells in D&D anymore.

Wizards "use magical powers", they don't "cast spells".
    edited June 2013
    xhrit wrote: »
    There are no spells in D&D anymore.

Wizards "use magical powers", they don't "cast spells".

This is not what the Players Handbook from fourth edition says.... I thought this was based on fourth edition.... :(
    WIZARD POWERS

Your arcane powers are called spells, and in the minds of most people in the world, they define what magic is.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • destinyknightdestinyknight Member Posts: 962 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Yes thats one thing that has bugged me is the lack of variety in armors and weapons in this game.
    edited June 2013
    Yes thats one thing that has bugged me is the lack of variety in armors and weapons in this game.

Why stop at weapons and armor? Lets talk about the lack of variety in powers/feats/skills. Why can't my rogue who used to be a king in my D&D campaigns have a useful diplomacy skill? :(
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • darkshellknightdarkshellknight Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Why stop at weapons and armor? Lets talk about the lack of variety in powers/feats/skills. Why can't my rogue who used to be a king in my D&D campaigns have a useful diplomacy skill? :(

Ikr the first xbox had a game called fable that has more variety then this lol in my opinion mmos should have more options then a console game that came out around 10 years ago
    edited June 2013
    Ikr the first xbox had a game called fable that has more variety then this lol in my opinion mmos should have more options then a console game that came out around 10 years ago

I never played Fable 1. I played Fable 2 and 3. Both were way too short, and way too easy. But they did have a lot of innovation in them that MMO's could certainly borrow ideas from. Sadly I think the only idea this game got from Fable is the sparkly trail.. This game really needs some alignment based sand-box elements.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • zentucknorzentucknor Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    lerdocix wrote: »
    You forgot about the part where this one game is not released yet and their other games weren't so customization friendly at release.

I played Champions from day one and the variety of items within the game from a looks standpoint was AMAZING! STO even had more variety at the start for customizing the look of your character and ship.
    Ever ask a halfling to watch over your stuff while you visit the privy? Was it there when you returned?
    Friar Kalien of Torm
    10.jpg
    edited June 2013
    I played Champions from day one and the variety of items within the game from a looks standpoint was AMAZING! STO even had more variety at the start for customizing the look of your character and ship.

You mean that MMO based on the shows where everyone dresses exactly the same in every freaking episode has more customization than this? Wow. That is sad.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • redneckroninredneckronin Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013

This game was released weeks ago.

The only people who believe this game is still Beta are those people deluding themselves about that so they don't feel bad about spending money on a dud.

The moment they started accepting real money for in-game content the game was launched.

Lying to us that it is still beta is just their way of disguising just how awful a launch this really was.

Even after the "relaunch" Balance Patch the game still isn't close to being "launch" quality.

All The Best
    Campaign: Call Of The Wild - Information, Links To Review Threads, Screenshots

Looking For Reviews For Your Foundry Quest?
    Drop By Scribe's Enclave & Meet Up With Volunteer Reviewers.
  • dagerm0420dagerm0420 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    You mean that MMO based on the shows where everyone dresses exactly the same in every freaking episode has more customization than this? Wow. That is sad.

lol apparently you havent watch any of the Star Trek series because there are many different races and people that where all kinds of different stuff. To say a show where everyone dresses the same is just flat out wrong.
    edited June 2013
    This game was released weeks ago.

The only people who believe this game is still Beta are those people deluding themselves about that so they don't feel bad about spending money on a dud.

I have gotten more play hours out of this game them almost every Playstation 3 game I own.

Also, I have not spent anything on this game.

Win?
    edited June 2013

Your absolutely right. The ability rolls would help in that, at least in upgrading. But they only let you upgrade 1 skill at a time. Why I cant I put 2 points in the same ability? I cant put 2 points into charisma, it has to be charisma and something else. Kinda takes away my choice. So what if I want to be a wizard putting all my points into strength? I should be able to do it if I want.
    edited June 2013
    Your absolutely right. The ability rolls would help in that, at least in upgrading. But they only let you upgrade 1 skill at a time. Why I cant I put 2 points in the same ability? I cant put 2 points into charisma, it has to be charisma and something else. Kinda takes away my choice. So what if I want to be a wizard putting all my points into strength? I should be able to do it if I want.

My wizard buddy in real life used strength as his secondary stat in our D&D campaign, and wore heavy, blacksteel armor, while using a flaming longsword. He's gonna be ticked off when he registers for this game to play my quests and tries to make the character he's used in every D&D game since Baldur's Gate 1...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ultimombraultimombra Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I completely agree with you guys about the lack of a lot customization and variety is unjustifiable! :mad:

They have created for us pre-definited characters + a bit of illusion we can build them as we wanted introducing some limitations like the power points but it is a bitter consolation i think...i dont feel unique because of no choice!

I want to make a Thief with a 2handed sword (alot of penalties i dont care) I want to put enough points in INT so Im able to read a scroll and cast a lighting bolt(1use) if I need, I want to leave on the terrain some traps created with my Skill before fighting against that Boss... those simply well known mechanics improve the strategy and the variety as well and so on ...:p

... at the end i say that the game has a solid base if I consider the Foundry and the fun action combat but as D&D RPG Player I NEED (not greed or pass) a hybrid class, with tons of limitations but I-WE NEED it!

P.S. and I dont spend time talking about the lack of alignment :confused:
    The Unseen Knight
  • sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    It would go a long way to helping the over all look of things. If gear also came in a few random colors. Nothing real obnoxious. No one should need to worry about having to run around looking like a skittles bag. But it would be cool if that next rogue armor drop would come in something other then brown, perhaps black, or even green

With the cost of dyes, no one is going to dye armor that they might only have a few levels. But if it came with just a touch more diversity. It dont see it as something that would hurt dye sales.
  • ashensnowashensnow Member Posts: 2,215 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    their other games weren't so customization friendly at release.

Yes they were. In some cases by an order of magnitude or more.

'Caine, miss you bud. Fly high.
  • crystal7jcrystal7j Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I'm feeling a little lead by the nose but I am only at level 10. I mean I got what, five points, so far and had no choice were to put them (control wiz). I don't really care about variety in anything else. It just seems redundant to have options but you have no choice where to put those points. Might as well have auto placed those skill points if there is no reason for me to pick where they go. Maybe that's just to show us how to use points like as if we never played an mmo anywhere ever? Variety in skills later?

Sorry to sound negative.
    edited June 2013
    crystal7j wrote: »
    I'm feeling a little lead by the nose but I am only at level 10. I mean I got what, five points, so far and had no choice were to put them (control wiz). I don't really care about variety in anything else. It just seems redundant to have options but you have no choice where to put those points. Might as well have auto placed those skill points if there is no reason for me to pick where they go. Maybe that's just to show us how to use points like as if we never played an mmo anywhere ever? Variety in skills later?

Sorry to sound negative.

That was a pet peeve of mine I hate as well.

Your artificially resticted from skills. you cant upgrade no lower rank skills to rank 3 until you basically put every skill you have to rank 2. even if you do not plan to use it.

Higher levels, if you do not choose to put points in skills that you unlocked and want to save points for skills that come later. You cant. You have to spend that point skill to put it in something you may not even want just to progress to even get the next skill.

The whole (you must spend X amount of points) restriction is a stupid artificial limiter. It should just be level base. Since you get those amount of points at that level anyway.
  • danzlyradanzlyra Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 43
    edited June 2013
    That was a pet peeve of mine I hate as well.

Your artificially resticted from skills. you cant upgrade no lower rank skills to rank 3 until you basically put every skill you have to rank 2. even if you do not plan to use it.

Higher levels, if you do not choose to put points in skills that you unlocked and want to save points for skills that come later. You cant. You have to spend that point skill to put it in something you may not even want just to progress to even get the next skill.

The whole (you must spend X amount of points) restriction is a stupid artificial limiter. It should just be level base. Since you get those amount of points at that level anyway.

My pet peeve as well.
  • ganjaman1ganjaman1 Member Posts: 792 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    One of the things Cryptic has been known for is the fact their games allow for many different looks. NW has to be the least impressive game yet from Cryptic when it comes to giving a distinct look. I am curious why that is? I mean every armor, every weapon for every character looks the same. Oh sure you can buy color packs to change this up some but the base looks are all identical?

Seriously, compared to other Cryptic games in this area NW falls short.

Kill 10 boars is all the variety you need in an Arpgmmo , confirmed by the Pope .