test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Best Class for Solo Play

zentucknorzentucknor Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
edited June 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
I am sure if I dug enough I would find this material, but thought a poll on this might be interesting.
Ever ask a halfling to watch over your stuff while you visit the privy? Was it there when you returned?
Friar Kalien of Torm
10.jpg
Post edited by zentucknor on

Comments

• Options
    lerdocixlerdocix Member Posts: 897 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I'd say CW or GF, but GWF was pretty nice before buff and now is amazing.
    Never had problems as DC except maybe one or two solo bosses and I know there are places where TRs have it hard, but generally for solo they are equal.

Some do more damage but are squishy, some never die but take longer to kill things, overall they are same.
  • Options
    zentucknorzentucknor Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    want to keep this near the top so we can get more votes
    Ever ask a halfling to watch over your stuff while you visit the privy? Was it there when you returned?
    Friar Kalien of Torm
    10.jpg
  • Options
    aepervius1972aepervius1972 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 66
    edited June 2013
    I have tried CW, TR, DC up to 41 (55 for DC). GWF I did not "click" guardian I am at level 15. So far on the fun to kill stuff and easiness to kill stuff I place the rogue. It seems so much easier to solo with it.
  • Options
    osadamaskosadamask Member Posts: 137 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Just made a GWF post-balance patch. They are so much easier to use in PvE content than anything else ._.
  • Options
    vindiconvindicon Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Trickster Rogue without a doubt.

CW is very good at not ever getting hit, it just takes more effort than TR, that just facerolls everything.

GWF is good at dealing with lots of mobs, but that's about it.

GF will one-shot a few enemies, then tockle the rest until his cooldowns are up again. Rather boring.

Cleric should theoretically be a good solo class, but nope, it's actually the worst. Their damage is so low that they stay in fight forever and, pre-50, take more damage than any other class, even over their heals. After lv50 solo content is simply a matter of "I do no damage, you do no damage, lets just stare at each other for a while"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    aenedoraenedor Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    My 57 Cleric with level 15 tank companion is motoring to 60 through the solo quest line, with no money spent.

So I voted Devoted Cleric.

Also, I could swear he got a slight buff in the last patch.
  • Options
    mconosrepmconosrep Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    These thoughts are mainly about prepatch.

Cleric is very slow - it is hard to get killed while playing it, but takes forever even with good gear to kill anything. Especially with the duration nerf on AS you end up havign to kite for 1/3 of the time in many cases.

GF was fairly easy, not especially fast.

GWF was horrid pre-patch, but after that patch, at least up to 20, it seems much better.

CW was pre-patch much easier than the DC, GWF or GF to get to 60 (though haven't got a TR to 60 yet).

TR was insanely easy to get to 30ish pre-patch, but I actually got so bored of face-rolling that I gave up ^^.
  • Options
    sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Ive played all but GWF up to the mid 40's. I hardly have the complete picture, but I think I have enough to have an opinion.

Trickster Rogue, to me, seems to be by far the fastest. So far I've been able to obliterate quests like a hot knife in butter. There have been a few times I've been reminded I'm squishy, and flattened, when I get careless or over confidant. But overall, its been the fastest and cheapest class to level for me.

Control Wizard, comes a close second. Its a tad slower, a bit more stand-offish. But its a great feeling to AoE nuke the trash, control the heavy hitters and do it without getting so much as a scratch. Played smart you don't even need a companion. They just seem to serve as walking refillable potion bottle.

Guardian Fighter, sturdy but slow. If you play carefully, actively block, control the fight. You can get through most encounters with very little damage. The problem is, its slow....like painfully slow. If you cut loose use your encounter power and at-wills recklessly, instead of hiding behind your shield all the time. Your damage output jumps up considerably. Bring along a Cleric companion and it plays pretty well. One main advantage is off all the characters I've played the GF has made the boss fights the easiest.

Cleric, is tricky. Early on it seemed easy street. After 25, it started to get harder. The problem with the Cleric is that you have powers that hurt really well. Some powers that heal really well. And a handful of powers that do a little bit of hurt and a little bit of healing together. So loading up the hot bar becomes a game unto itself. Load up to much DPS you fight faster but chug potions like mad. Load up on to much healing you'll be fighting forever. And once you start fighting baddies that start to heal themselves, forever no longer becomes an exaggeration. The cleric could really benefit with a 4th slot, like the CW. Or a better decent at-will heal. Despite all this, it has been fun to play. but neither fast, easy, or cheap.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    sockmunkey wrote: »
    And once you start fighting baddies that start to heal themselves, forever no longer becomes an exaggeration. The cleric could really benefit with a 4th slot, like the CW. Or a better decent at-will heal. Despite all this, it has been fun to play. but neither fast, easy, or cheap.

I knew I forgot to mention something. I really, really hated regenening enemies on my two Clerics. The fights, while never dangerous, were incredibly boring and tedious. A decent DPs buff to Clerics wouldn't go amiss BTW.
  • Options
    warkupozwarkupoz Member Posts: 43
    edited June 2013
    TR, GWF, or CW. Cleric is a bit slow an' I haven't played that shield guy.
  • Options
    sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    mconosrep wrote: »
    I knew I forgot to mention something. I really, really hated regenening enemies on my two Clerics. The fights, while never dangerous, were incredibly boring and tedious. A decent DPs buff to Clerics wouldn't go amiss BTW.

Oh I know it. Cleric can be pretty bursty, but not nearly enough. In my mid 40's in Vellosk. I was doing fine until I got near the end and the pack leader boss werewolves. That bite attack of theirs heals a ton. I typically run Sunburst, Daunting Light, and Forgemaster's Flame. It works well with a tank pet. Divine forgemaster keeps both me and the pet alive. Especially if I also DoT the mob with Brand of the sun. Then follow up with a Daunting light, sunburst combo. But unless I get a good crit, or time it perfectly. Id just nuke them down to 10% and watch them jump back to 80% while my nuke resets and all I can do it poke them with my silly light spears. The frustrating part is the pet just stands there feeding the mob health. But without the pet, I'm often lunch. With my only heals being forgemasters, that takes time to set up. Or pots. But if i switch out forgemasters for healing word. I loose all that DPS from forgemasters for a slow heal that might only save me a potion or two. Ugh.

The only real game changer is the daily powers. For every other character my dailies almost get ignored. Only really needed for the OH HECK moments when you get yourself in trouble. With the Cleric, daily powers need to be spammed, often, just to get by.
  • Options
    klixanklixan Member Posts: 447 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    I've just deleted my cleric and rolled a wizard. It's funny you mention Vellosk and the pack leader's, as that's as far as I got too, then I just couldn't take anymore. So I'd have to agree that the cleric is the worst solo class.

My Guardian Fighter is currently in Vellosk too. I've managed to kill 3/5 of the pack leader's, but I just can't seem to find the motivation to continue. Especially as I watch rogues and wizards waltzing through the area without effort.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    sockmunkey wrote:
    In my mid 40's in Vellosk. I was doing fine until I got near the end and the pack leader boss werewolves. That bite attack of theirs heals a ton.

Yes, that was the exact highlight (or lowlight really) of levelling a Cleric; slowly wearing them down only to see them heal up again.......
  • Options
    ranncoreranncore Member, Moderators, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 2,508
    edited June 2013
    TR is probably the easiest but GF is the cheapest.

it's kind of funny that my GF has wwwwwaaaaaayyyyy better self healing than my DC.

roll GF, stack regen gear, use fighters recovery and anvil, never use pots.
  • Options
    prometheusenprometheusen Member Posts: 63 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Well... my experiences:

Great Weapons Fighter - I got my GWF to 60 before the patch, it wasn't so bad. I was durable enough that not too much along the way was troublesome (save for maybe the occasional magma brute boss or something of that nature when they get those crappy elemental adds). The damage was steady though not amazing... however, post-patch I'm sure it'd be a much easier affair.

Trickster Rogue - Man this was stupid easy... Getting to 60 with my Trickster Rogue took half the time it did on my Great Weapons Fighter. I almost never died and every single boss practically laid down and died for me in surrender. I vote Trickster Rogues as the easiest (is it my favorite class? Meh... but it's fun enough).

Devoted Cleric - I'm not quite to 60 yet (in the 50's though). It's not that playing a Devoted Cleric to 60 is hard, in fact, it's pretty easy. It's just boooooooring! Anyway, nothing manages to kill my devoted cleric... I just at times get bored to tears playing him.

Guardian Fighter - Not even close to 60. As bored as I am with my Cleric, I'm almost as bored with my Guardian Fighter. The pacing of the class is kind of clunky and managing blocks with offense is a chore. However, I have a lot of levels to go with my Guardian Fighter and many encounters I haven't tried yet. My opinion will likely change.

Control Wizard - Never played one, never will.
  • Options
    stormysgstormysg Member Posts: 93
    edited June 2013
    If you're soloing in pve i think a CW with a cleric companion is pretty much unstoppable if you got the right powers.