test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Um...Dueling anyone...really?

krahctkrahct Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
edited June 2013 in PvE Discussion
Roleplay and PVP game and no dueling? What's up with that?

Thoughts?
"I never make mistakes, I once thought I did but I was wrong"
Post edited by krahct on

Comments

• Options
    theviking2006theviking2006 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 817 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Dueling makes or breaks roleplayability?
  • Options
    krahctkrahct Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    It does, how?

I'm suggesting it should be in the game. If my post wasn't clear, I know I worded it funny.
  • Options
    osadamaskosadamask Member Posts: 137 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I would like to see dueling as well.
  • Options
    evilkinglarryevilkinglarry Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 144 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Only issues I ever really have with dueling is when people complain about class balance in a 1v1 setting and when you don't have a toggle to auto opt out of duels.
  • Options
    vold316vold316 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I don't think that dueling is a good idea for a game based in d&d, because in my opinion, some classes should be better than others to duel, and the most of the people does not like that.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"The harder the game, the better."
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    vold316 wrote: »
    I don't think that dueling is a good idea for a game based in d&d, because in my opinion, some classes should be better than others to duel, and the most of the people does not like that.

And some classes will be better than others at dueling, always will be, but what dueling does is give players that roleplay a way to act out their differences and non roleplayers a way to learn how to fight/counter other classes either for survivability or victory.

Not to say that roleplayers don't need to learn to PVP, that was not what I meant above.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Shameless..or shameful bump.
  • Options
    g0ld3n4c3g0ld3n4c3 Member Posts: 79 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    nice idea I love 1 on 1 games. true pvp there.
  • Options
    capgarnascapgarnas Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 500 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    No no no

Get your epeen fix some other way.

I dont want to listen to endless bragging over zone chat.
  • Options
    stormysgstormysg Member Posts: 93
    edited June 2013
    I meant to vote for yes but ended up pressing no instead of submit and then clicking on submit. Duels are a nice way to 1 v 1. You're not forced to do it, and its good for testing out things on other players as well without having to go into PVP. (And yes i know dummies are there for testing - but sometimes you want to do it with a human and not a ragged doll / toy :P)
  • Options
    azlanfoxazlanfox Member Posts: 436 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Keep your stuff in PvP areas. I don't want to hear the taunts, trash talk, and bragging on the channels. I don't want to be harassed by guys with small manhood that have something to prove.
    The fox said, "lock and load"

glassdoor.com - Cryptic Studios Review
  • Options
    deknodekno Member Posts: 181 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    i think if they are doing pvp at all it should be like it says. Player vs Player, that mean duel, nothing else. The PVP in this game is not PVP, its team vs team, im not trolling. well, in some sense it is player vs player, or should i say rogue vs player(s), but thats a fact upon the imbalance of the whole setup and not how the mod should be played.

MMO and RPG developers have no clue as to setting up their game for fairness and balance, its basically just a bunch of different classes thrown together and its just a simple mod from the pve/rpg side of the game for those who like to challenge each other with their toons. A cow system, it should be rather simple.

How about 1v1 to start with? same type of classes and same type of characters who go at each other? Where does the whole respec token system\pay to respec come from anyway? The whole setup makes me sick. you cant setup a good system for anyone but those who are willing\able to spend money on winning if some people who are just trying to enjoy the game and make it competetive with being locked out cause they dont have or are willing to spend money to have the advantage. I guess from a developers point of view that makes it interesting.

Why did they not make a King of the Hill mod for example? Is that too hard to come up with since you are throwing all the classes against each other? At least the classes would make sense to be set up against each others instead of splitting up everyone in some capture the point where everyone end up running from each other where the hardest hitting class just dominates everyone unless he is outnumbered. I understand, it should be teamwork. How about those mounts eh? do they make a difference? It just reeks of greed.

from what i see, most of the games that are being developed these days are not really developed out of "passion", but rather a bunch of working programmers who make a product to cash in money, this is a perfect example right here, and if people leave, and they will leave no matter what happens, it solely that the intention this studio has from the start is shining through in every corner of the game.

In the end you have a bunch of programmers who act like they are willing to listen, unable to deliver, and ends up in a never ending loop in trying to satisfy the most just to keep them around.

sure, us cows got money to spend, but im personally sick of the whole milking system that is getting into every game. i understand that they are trying hard to please everyone, but its for the wrong reasons and i dont see it ever change, and i dont think even people know what a good game is any more. this generation are all fools in a way, just take a look at the console war, we all buy into that too, they are milking tons of cash on that, so, maybe it is right, maybe this is how its supposed to be. i know that it works, cause they are making billions on us cows.
  • Options
    fallacy1fallacy1 Member Posts: 36
    edited June 2013
    I was going to make a thread for the exact same reason! I was really disappointed when I didn't see a 'Request Duel' button when I right-clicked a player on my first day. Let's face it. Sometimes, people just have to sit down, talk, and sort out their problems like civilized human beings, and other times we just have to smash each others faces in until our fingers are sore! This is one of the latter occasions. I really hope that it is something that will be implemented in a future patch.

There really isn't any negative aspects of it, despite the fact that there will always be those people. You know, the ones who have to act like a poon and try to ruin everyone else's fun.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Join Us|Officer of The Noore|Nyan Cat
  • Options
    cyguard1cyguard1 Member Posts: 64 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    stormysg wrote: »
    You're not forced to do it, and its good for testing out things on other players as well without having to go into PVP. (And yes i know dummies are there for testing - but sometimes you want to do it with a human and not a ragged doll / toy :P)

Um no. The one thing I absolutely hated about SWG was all the fanbois running up to me every 10 mins with random duel challenges. The spam from it was just sick. I can see the same thing happening here, especially with the smaller area around the AH and mailbox.
    capgarnas wrote: »
    No no no

Get your epeen fix some other way.

I dont want to listen to endless bragging over zone chat.

And then there is this. On screen chest pumping, while in the chair waddling that big *** to the microwave for another hot pocket. No thanks. Again way to much spam in zone chat as it is.
    Foundry Designs: Once a Dungeon Master, always a Dungeon Master.
  • Options
    doomkookiesdoomkookies Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I'd love to see a dueling system in this game. And by love, I mean absolutely ****ing adore. I'd play the hell outta that.

I'd even like it to go one step further. Maybe make an instanced "arena" zone that inside Neverwinter will serve as the ONLY place to duel inside the main city. That will be its sole purpose. This way, people who don't want to duel simply won't go there.

Hell, I'd also love to see team duels. In TERA, they had a feature I thought was really cool. They allowed you to do team vs. team duels, sort of like an anywhere-deathmatch. You could have up to 8 people on each team, and as little as one. I was a fan of the good old 1v2 (I like being the underdog - I played a Warrior quite well).

Anyway, those are my assorted thoughts.
  • Options
    redneckroninredneckronin Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    The problems with most MMORPGs comes when Developers are forced to balance PvE (which is essentially 90% of what RPGs are about) with the ADD mindset of PvP and Duel players.

So no the game doesn't need duels, and it would benefit greatly by not having PvP as well.

People who play RPGs to get their PvP fix are usually players who wouldn't last 30 seconds in real PvP games, FPS etc.

WoW was in part ruined by constant pandering to the crying of the PvPers.

LOTRO partly gets round the issue by having PvMP rather than true PvP and is a much better game in terms of class-balance because of it.

All The Best
    Campaign: Call Of The Wild - Information, Links To Review Threads, Screenshots

Looking For Reviews For Your Foundry Quest?
    Drop By Scribe's Enclave & Meet Up With Volunteer Reviewers.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    For all of those indicating they don't want to be spammed with Duel Challenges, that's an easy fix, give the players a way to disable duel requests, problem solved.
  • Options
    paarethpaareth Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    More freedom, sounds good.
  • Options
    wholyhandgrenadewholyhandgrenade Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    there is little point in having dueling when players are adept at one shotting
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    there is little point in having dueling when players are adept at one shotting

I have never on any of toons, and of course i'm not playing at level 60, but have never been one shot, check your combat log next time you think that happenned. I'd be willing to bet my account, which is a founder account, with a lot of nice mounts that evenly leveled players are not getting one shot.