test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Character Points, and racial bonusses ... are these whacked?

wholyhandgrenadewholyhandgrenade Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited June 2013 in PvE Discussion
I have two elf clerics as I simply prefer how elves look compared to the other races (I know that is a bad choice in terms of racial bonuses), but I looked at my character points on both of them and noticed that one summed to 98 and the other which I reset summed to a measly 96. I'm thinking the base sum must be 100, which would mean both of them should be summing to 104 (100 base +2 points dex and choice of +2 in either int or wis). This has me very confused. Are both of them missing points (the one that was reset does have 2 less points than the other). Do different races get different character points sums (if this is so, saying wood elves get +4 points for a racial advantage is like jacking up prices before a sale then discounting the prices so that the sale price is higher than the original price before the artificial price hike).

I'd really like to know what is going on here.
Post edited by wholyhandgrenade on

Comments

• khatzhaskhatzhas Member Posts: 268 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Does the character with less total ability points have the highest stat?
    Does the character with a higher total have a more even spread?

If its based on the base game, its not the sum total of the abilities that is constant, its the total of build points used to create the array of scores. The higher the ability, the more build points it costs.
  • wholyhandgrenadewholyhandgrenade Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    khatzhas wrote: »
    Does the character with less total ability points have the highest stat?
    Does the character with a higher total have a more even spread?

If its based on the base game, its not the sum total of the abilities that is constant, its the total of build points used to create the array of scores. The higher the ability, the more build points it costs.

The one with the most points had a lower highest stat than the other, but I don't know if it lost 2 points in its choice of wisdom or intelligence when I reset it (I didn't reset the other one which is 2 total points higher).

As to the build points cost thing, that should be BS in a system that allows points to be added as one levels up.

In any case, I don't know what is going on here. I wish players would post their race, class, and how many points they have total.
    edited June 2013
    It should also be noted that 1 point in adds its traits by +1%. When it comes to trading off points in maxing out abilities typically scaled upwards in D and D to make up for the total points deduction. There is no scaling upwards here, there is simply +1%'s. Players cold not roll their own characters, or decide how to reduce and increase the rolls that were pre-generated, as such I'm surprised if they don't add up to the same total amounts that they don't (no alert or message was given that this was the case when making characters). I don't know if I lost my elf bonus points when I reset my character.
  • leftsideoftheyarleftsideoftheyar Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    This is working as intended. If you read the wiki and look at the 10 or 15 possible roll combos there are optimum stat rolls for each class. In many cases having spread points gives you more total points compared to what you get when you min max 1 or 2
    u13fd8a.png
  • gunbahahagunbahaha Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 139
    edited June 2013
    The rolls are all fixed, certain rolls (the rolls with a lower primary stat) have a lower amount of total stats.
    edited June 2013
    This is working as intended. If you read the wiki and look at the 10 or 15 possible roll combos there are optimum stat rolls for each class. In many cases having spread points gives you more total points compared to what you get when you min max 1 or 2

thanks, but players still need to be told about this in character creation when they first make their characters, I don't remember any such information upon this there... Wikipedia isn't in the game.
    edited June 2013
    In D&D clerics receive extra spell points and access to spells not accessed by those with not high enough wisdom. Since I gave up stat points to have high wisdom I would like to know where my extra spell points and access to higher level cleric spells are. If there are none, then giving up points in the pre-generated rolls is very inbalanced and stupid as each point in the stats rases their corresponding stats most of the time by 1% per point spent and there isn't any exponential scaling upwards.
  • khatzhaskhatzhas Member Posts: 268 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    In D&D clerics receive extra spell points and access to spells not accessed by those with not high enough wisdom.
    Which edition of D&D are you talking about?
    If there are none, then giving up points in the pre-generated rolls is very inbalanced and stupid as each point in the stats rases their corresponding stats most of the time by 1% per point spent and there isn't any exponential scaling upwards.

Wisdom "costs" more than Charisma and Strength, which cost more than the other stats due to the types and numbers of bonuses given, not the magnitude of those bonuses.
    A 1% bonus to damage and healing is generally worth more than a 1% bonus to crit chance for example.