test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Intersting economy in this game - very confusing

joshrandhalljoshrandhall Member Posts: 72 Arc User
edited June 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
Most games you can usually figure out the economy fairly easily: crafters can craft and make lots of the games currency, adventurers sometimes end up with nice rare gear they can sell and so on etc.

Perhaps I'm mistaken, but the economy in this game is not only confusing (so many different types of spendable currency) but also very F.U.B.A.R'd!

I certainly understand some items of rarity being expensive, but even common items?

Take a low end horse for example - on the upside they only cost what, 5 gold and available at lvl 20? Not bad - however, consider the ability to get the 5 gold often takes players until lvl 25+ to get that much gold.

And what the heck is with these diamonds? hundreds of thousands of diamonds to purchase items? really?

I understand the desire for the company to want players using their store to buy items (zen, etc.) but really - 300 diamonds (approx) for 1 zen?

All seems just very confusing and over the top IMO.

Why not just 1 or 2 currencies (gold and diamonds or zen): gold in game and zen or diamonds purchased with real money?

Seems so insane to me.
Post edited by joshrandhall on

Comments

• Options
    osadamaskosadamask Member Posts: 137 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Multiple currencies with limited use is one way to fight bots. However, right now the glory to gear to astral diamond path gets bots what they need to do some RMT.
  • Options
    l0lityl0lity Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Meeh just forget about all the little details like the game's economy, lore and other useless stuff and just BUUUY ZEEENS!!!

Okay seriously through, I don't know if you're new to Perfect World but they'll basically try everything to make you buys the zens, that's why they have the diamonds as currency for their auction house. If you want to see what this game will look like in a year or so go play Champions Online for a bit, that will give you a little idea.
    Okay but you have to give them (players not developpers since the price of zens/diamonds is given by players themselves) credit because 300 diams for 1 zen isn't tat a big deal since you can in a day of farming make what ... 15000+ diams.

Now for the horrible game economy and crafting systems, just bear with it : Cryptic (the developpers) don't know how to make this kind of things or just don't care about them.

Sucks but I just can't stop playing this game because of the "parkour" (climbing roofs and stuff) aspect ... which by the way has been greatly reduced with the last patch with these frickin' invisible walls -_-
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    lol - "parkour" - love it
  • Options
    pinkfontpinkfont Member Posts: 563 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Don't worry about AD, it'll be useless soon. :D
    A rich rogue nowadays is fit company for any gentleman; and the world, my dear, hath not such a contempt for roguery as you imagine. - John HAMSTER
  • Options
    kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,440 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I understand the desire for the company to want players using their store to buy items (zen, etc.) but really - 300 diamonds (approx) for 1 zen?

Of all the things you mentioned, this is the one that means the least. That zen exchange? It's all player-directed. The devs set max & min limits on what the AD cost can be (500 and 50), but the players are the ones who run it from there. All the zen sellers are selling for 500 zen, but no zen buyers are willing to pay that much AD? Cost goes down. Etc, etc, etc.

Actually, the price was lower half a week ago, but the current cash shop sale is increasing demand for zen, so it's value is going up (and so it costs more AD to get).
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    I guess it's just me then, but I find this diamonds and zen thing a bit disturbing. Most games rely on gold or other currency.

I really don't see how having multiple currencies can stop bots since they can just farm those items as well? Doesn't really make sense to me.

I would think that banning them would be a better choice then inconveniencing the community.
  • Options
    dalebertnhdalebertnh Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    The whole looting incentive in this game is pretty broken. ADs are the only real meaningful and desirable loot and it's like a steady paycheck. You show up (do a foundry or a dungeon or whatever), you finish it, you get your steady paycheck. That's not loot. That's a union job. It's boring. I hope they realize this at some point.

And don't get me started on the seals, particularly the range of them at various levels. Oh, I'm started. Never mind. :D

The seals are ridiculous. Each of those bounty items is like a fraction of a fraction of a penny. By the time you have enough seals to get anything, you've leveled and it's worthless. Has anyone EVER gotten an actual upgrade from collecting those? The whole system is nothing but worthless clutter--the items in your inventory, the NPCs who hand out bounties, the seal vendors who you stop and look at their stuph once or twice and quickly realize it's all out-leveled LONG before you can collect anything worth trading. The only ones that MIGHT ever matter are the end-game ones and even those are questionable. Not a single item from even the end-game seal vendors is an upgrade for me.
  • Options
    kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,440 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    dalebertnh wrote: »
    The seals are ridiculous. Each of those bounty items is like a fraction of a fraction of a penny. By the time you have enough seals to get anything, you've leveled and it's worthless. Has anyone EVER gotten an actual upgrade from collecting those?

I've had a couple alts who bought several Lion seal items. But with seals gained from dungeon runs (+the extra seals during Dungeon Delve), not from bounty. Bounty, I turn in for the item packs.
  • Options
    johneco1johneco1 Member Posts: 42 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I have not clue what PW as thinking when they created so many currencies. I have to keep my calculator open on another screen just to make a purchase. Every time I buy something I have to figure out if it's cheaper to buy it on the AH or the Zen store or the vendors or..... I think it is ridiculous.