test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

About rubber banding

gdante7111111gdante7111111 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 227 Arc User
edited June 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
I have been having a lot of rubber banding recently, I want to know what exactly in detail that is. I know it pulls you back, but why is it doing that. Is it my internet, my pc what ? tell me.

P.S I have tried the change channels but that does not work.
Post edited by gdante7111111 on

Comments

• xuminaxumina Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 188 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I believe it happens when server receives data slower then what you see on your client. It's quite normal for people whose internet connection may not be good. A good example would be your character moved 10m.... but server only received that you started moving, server did a quick check and decided you have only moved 4 meters as of real time, your character is as you call it "rubberband" back 6m to ensure server data and client data are parallel.
  • azuregateazuregate Member Posts: 34 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It also happens to every player situated further away from the game's servers. We're talking players from Australia, Asia, Southeast Asia, and so on. It's possible that players located in the further regions of Europe and the US would also be affected.

I'd hoped that Cryptic could somehow add in multi regional servers, perhaps some in Oceania just for the sake of PvP and Dungeons, unfortunately with how this game is going to complete ****, that's not likely to ever happen.
  • pinkfontpinkfont Member Posts: 563 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Man, what a load. My internet connection is great.
    A rich rogue nowadays is fit company for any gentleman; and the world, my dear, hath not such a contempt for roguery as you imagine. - John HAMSTER
  • xuminaxumina Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 188 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    pinkfont wrote: »
    Man, what a load. My internet connection is great.

Well unless your data travels at the speed of light and that the processing of the data is lightspeed.... there can never be instantaneous data exchange.
  • itheryelitheryel Member Posts: 335 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Rubberbanding is a fix for desync simply put. Il try to explain it as shortly as i can aldo i am not an expert on this.

For me it usualy happens with my GWF when i use sprint. So imagine u have 2 instances of ure game
    instance 1 is server side, this instance is called the "master instance" in this instance everything is acurate and considered the law
    instance 2 is client side, this instance is called the "slave" in this instance u are playing and gets regularly updated with the
    "master instance"
    Now imagine the GWF sprint scenerio, imagine i press sprint and i start running, but somehow a few packages were lost to the master instance concerning "hero X has started to sprint", so basicly u on the "slave" side are sprinting already, however on the "master" side u are not, u started sprinting 2 seconds later on the "master" side, as a result of this u get "rubberbanded" back to the "master side" wich will set u back 2 seconds of sprint time.

If this did not happen u would teleport (desync) all over the place when there are package losses, exualy it is already a desync but because of the coding the master side is detecting it before it gets out of hand and slave vs master are totaly out of sync. Because of this rubberbanding is usualy a sign of good coding i think... aldo like i said i am no expert on this mather.
    Obviuesly this would also be effected by ure ping since lattency is the speed at wich packages are send to the master side, the longer the travel time, the more chance of information being out of sync.

I hope this helped explain it a bit (tried my best) :)
    Petram Sacram - I am no devine cleric, i am a Gaurdian fighter in disguise with better threat and supportive spells -
  • arcbladezarcbladez Member Posts: 210 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013

If this doesn't resolve the issue, then like other people already wrote, it may be your internet provider's fault. Either cause you're too far away from the NW servers or your ISP has trouble reaching the NW servers.

Either way, like some people have already suggested, Cryptic could setup more servers worldwide and this would solve the issue, but don't forget the game is still new, it's not even officially launched yet, and it could take months, if not years before they setup new servers!

Just World of Warcraft itself took months to years to setup servers world wide! I remember playing WoW when it first launched in 2004 and we were playing with European players! Oh yes! My guild had people in the UK and France because there was no WoW Europe servers! It was slow for them, and I remember them complaining how running around Ironforge was pretty much impossible to do! Half them couldn't even use the Auction House during North American Peak-Hours cause of the lag and the fact they lived in Europe!

I just googled it, and WoW Europe wasn't released until February 2012!!! It took the rich billion dollar company Blizzard 3 months to setup WoW in Europe! So imagine Cryptic, who makes less money than Blizzard! I think it will take awhile before they manage to get NW servers up and running in Europe!
    edited May 2013
    The fact is u have the data to battle this arcbladez, like u mentioned ureself, american peak hours wil hit hard on serverload, google them and try to alocate playing time in between american peak times. I am not saying this is a fix, but it is something u can manage ureself.

(most people playing hardcore games use tricks like this to not get spike killed ore rubberband popped)
    Petram Sacram - I am no devine cleric, i am a Gaurdian fighter in disguise with better threat and supportive spells -
  • grimslycegrimslyce Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Is there an in-game latency meter?
    edited May 2013
    Ask for it ingame grimslyce, there is, but for the love of all that is right i cant seem to remember it atm, im sure someone ingame wil gladly tel u what the command is try /latency 1 but im fairly sure it aint that :)
  • tvalaltvalal Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 36
    edited May 2013
    grimslyce wrote: »
    Is there an in-game latency meter?

/netgraph 1 /netgraph 0 to turn it off
  • calidorncalidorn Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    My understanding is this.

Some games demand that your client send all data to the server for confirmation. The server processes this data and says it is a legal action and sends more data back to you at which time your client shows you doing the action. This means that with a ping time of 250ms (ie Australia - USA) it takes half a second once you press the key for anything to happen on your screen. Blah.
    EVE online seemed like this to me. Horrid to play as that fraction of a second meant pvp death. You cannot compete with fast (usually closer) connections that do this in under .1sec.

Other games let their clients use the information they have at the instant you press the key to decide if it is a legal action and instantly show it on your screen if it is. Your client will timestamp the data and send it to the server for confirmation. The server checks it was legal at that time and replies as such. This means instant movement on your screen while the data is in transit.

Rubberbanding occurs when you do something that your client says is legal at that time (hence shows you doing it) but the server lags, loses sync with your client and decides that at that instant you COULD NOT make that action. Your client then recieves this denial .5seconds later and is forced to zap you back to the point of your last legal and server syncronized action.

Clear as mud ?

I accept I could be wrong and neither confirm nor deny anyone elses ideas.
  • norobladnoroblad Member Posts: 556 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I have been having a lot of rubber banding recently, I want to know what exactly in detail that is. I know it pulls you back, but why is it doing that. Is it my internet, my pc what ? tell me.

It is a flaw in game design. This is usually caused by adding PVP to a game.
    What happens is the programmers implemented a "policy" in the software of the game that basically says "the server is always right" in regards to your char location.

So, say you move from the mail guy in town to the bank guy. But because the server is flooded with 10000000000000 people in that area and unable to keep up, your information is dropped (overwhelmed servers can lose internet packets) or discarded (timestamp is too old) or something like this. Your local machine knows you moved from a to b; it drew the graphics locally and sent the locations to the server. But after a while, the server catches up, looks at your situation, sees a disconnect (your computer says you are at the bank, it has you at the mail box). This cannot be, says the server! And because the server is always right, it moves you BACK to the mailbox, your actual correct location, obviously. This produces the sickening rubber band effect.

Its done this way for pvp so the other enemy players all see you in one place at one time; it would be unplayable if you thought you were safely over here and they were stabbing you over there... !!!!

The inverse implementation is also clunky, by the way. When the local computer is always right, you are where you moved to, yes, but after a while you will get very odd behavior such as move to a vendor, try to open it, well you cant--- the server has not yet accepted that you are where you are, and you sit there stuck until it can catch up. So you actually get to MOVE smoothly but you cannot interact with anything. And, again, its unplayable in pvp and even ODD in PVE group efforts (mob is here, you are there, but you think you are hitting it, confusing but playable until difficult content, then it becomes as bad as pvp). This is smoother but generally a worse choice, see?

(the fix between the two also stinks: only allow movement and interactions when the server and client are able to communicate within a small timeframe, basically pausing the game if there is any lag).

A nice fix would be to use the local pc is right policy in town only. But that is probably too much work for the gains.
  • gdante7111111gdante7111111 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 227 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I am the original poster I have high speed internet, so its not my internet. I know exactly what rubber banding is now, how to fix it. there was someone broadcasting while on nw, and he has a good pc. And he himself was also having little rubber banding, so if its not internet and pc which is my case. Then is it the servers ?, it all comes down to is how to fix it.
  • joseph86itajoseph86ita Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 31
    edited June 2013
    arcbladez wrote: »
    I just googled it, and WoW Europe wasn't released until February 2012!!! It took the rich billion dollar company Blizzard 3 months to setup WoW in Europe! So imagine Cryptic, who makes less money than Blizzard! I think it will take awhile before they manage to get NW servers up and running in Europe!

really?

a game without success (war z) of the hammerpoint has always had server Eu...and cannot Eu server the Cryptic have?
  • rajey0402rajey0402 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    really?

a game without success (war z) of the hammerpoint has always had server Eu...and cannot Eu server the Cryptic have?

All this server lag + the mass rubber banding will be the downfall of this otherwise quite brilliant MMORPG.