test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Other People Are Just As Good As You

drakesigardrakesigar Member Posts: 231 Bounty Hunter
edited June 2013 in The Foundry
I thought my quest would rocket up the charts, Sigar statues would be erected, folks would chant my name in the streets, Brazilian supermodels would encourage me to snort substances of questionable legality off their bottoms…

Turns out my standards may have been just a teensy weensy bit high, and I think a lot of new authors go through this, so this post is for them. Sure the editor’s limited, and the interface wasn’t built to support such a Rocky-style rise to the top, but the real obstacle is the other authors. You see, they have this annoying tendency to be brilliant. Also, they don’t make delusional comparisons to Rocky.

Thing is, once you get past the realization that you’re not going to be an Internet superstar, you can really start having fun. There’s no set standards, no 15 minute hack & slash requirement. A foundry quest is often a very personal thing to an author after all, and you start to appreciate what few comments you get all the more. In all honesty, which would you rather have – a helpful selection of comments from other nice authors you’ve grown closer to over the weeks, or five thousand impersonal reviews which you probably won’t even look at.

Picked the second one, didn’t you?
Check out Adventuring College! A 20 minute male-centric comedic solo adventure.
Quest ID: NW-DPCZNUVQ7
Post edited by drakesigar on

Comments

• maerwinmaerwin Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    ...Sigar statues would be erected, folks would chant my name in the streets, Brazilian supermodels would encourage me to snort substances of questionable legality off their bottoms…

but...but... not even the last one?
    I am disappoint.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    NW-DMFGWPBN3 The Lost City - Review Thread
  • dzogendzogen Member Posts: 550 Arc User
    edited June 2013

Dzogen, Moonstar Agent
    Bill's Tavern | The 27th Level | Secret Agent 34
  • dzogendzogen Member Posts: 550 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    drakesigar wrote: »
    Thing is, once you get past the realization that you’re not going to be an Internet superstar, you can really start having fun.

Someone who gets the point. Ironically, your chances of being a "superstar" have just increased exponentially.

PS. Brazilian supermodels are few and far between in Neverwinter but if there are any out there I encourage you to post in this thread
    Dzogen, Moonstar Agent
    Bill's Tavern | The 27th Level | Secret Agent 34
  • wafflebaronwafflebaron Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    dzogen wrote: »
    Someone who gets the point. Ironically, your chances of being a "superstar" have just increased exponentially.

PS. Brazilian supermodels are few and far between in Neverwinter but if there are any out there I encourage you to post in this thread

With pics please
  • visigoth18visigoth18 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 371 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    lol, ^_^ fun times
    jlTYaLC.gif
    1.jpglXK5k1F.png
  • lovepeaslovepeas Member Posts: 162 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I'm gonna trade this life for fortune and fame,
    Everybody is gonna know my @ name.
    Cause we all just wanna be foundry stars,
    filling our stories with castles, sewers, and bazaars.
    The reviews come easy and the stars come cheap,
    we'll all stay silly from a lack of sleep.
    We'll hang out on the foundry boards
    with VIPs like Chili and Zoyva of course.
    Our quest will end up on the front best page,
    playing it daily will be all the rage.
    Hey, hey I wanna be a foundry star.
    The Delusions Quartet
    Act 1: Nightmare on Market Street
    Act 2: My Best Friend's Evil Wedding
  • zahinderzahinder Member Posts: 897 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I just want to find and reach the people who like the kind of thing I'm trying to do.

The rest can go hang.
    Campaign: The Fenwick Cycle NWS-DKR9GB7KH

Wicks and Things: NW-DI4FMZRR4 : The Fenwick merchant family has lost a caravan! Can you help?

Beggar's Hollow: NW-DR6YG4J2L : Someone, or something, has stolen away many of the Fenwicks' children! Can you find out what happened to them?

Into the Fen Wood: NW-DL89DRG7B : Enter the heart of the forest. Can you discover the secret of the Fen Wood?
  • chili1179chili1179 Member Posts: 1,511 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I just want to tell my story.
    There is a rumor floating around that I am working on a new foundry quest. It was started by me.
  • crok2crok2 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I will never be able to tell a story like Tilt32. I will never be able to design like apoc. I will never be able to be as creative as Izatar and Chili. But I AM able to make quests that I enjoy making. Yes, secretly in the back of my head as I am working on 'it' I picture people loving it. I just KNOW this one will be well received. :P
  • chibidanichibidani Member Posts: 30
    edited June 2013
    I just want to make really cool landscapes people will enjoy playing in while telling the legend of my two chars Twilition and Sunlition. The Dragon Sisters. I want people to explore the landscapes and not care that there might not be mobs to fight in the corner of this map or you might find a person in need of attack or new allies :o I like to encourage people to explore >.>
  • eldartheldarth Member Posts: 4,494 Arc User
    edited June 2013
  • visigoth18visigoth18 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 371 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    :D I want to find like minded people who Will enjoy my content "and hope they have made content, because I would probably like it" but that's a tall order :) everyone has their own quarks when it comes to their interest "I know I do"
    jlTYaLC.gif
    1.jpglXK5k1F.png
  • rdxcyclordxcyclo Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I just want to make the next big hit and be swimming in paper and canine females.

But seriously though, I'm not asking for much... Only the occasional top spot in the best tab for every single quest I make.
    Making my name with Foundry - @rdxcyclo

First installment of Gavin the "Lucky" series is live

Episodes:
    Gavin the "Lucky": Prologue - NW-DEZSTNUT7
  • lonnehartlonnehart Member Posts: 846 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Something tells me that if the Bard class comes out for Neverwinter, we'll end up as a guild of Bards (myself being half elven... and hopefully in this game I don't end up with hordes of women chasing me tearing off my armor and such like in EQ... such is the curse that all Bards of either gender...).

Learning how to use the tools is fun for me. Once I've become effective in using them, taking them to the limit in storytelling will be the next step.
    *sings* "I like Gammera! He's so neat!!! He is full of turtle meat!!!"

"Hah! You are doomed! You're only armed with that pathetic excuse for a musical instrument!!!" *the Savage Beast moments before Lonnehart the Bard used music to soothe him... then beat him to death with his Fat Lute*
  • meedacthunistmeedacthunist Member Posts: 3,085
    edited June 2013
    I only want to make a few grim & gritty quests for morally ambigous characters.
  • apocrs1980apocrs1980 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Here is what it comes down to, if you put love in to what you create it will show, just like in cooking. So, create what makes you excited and makes you say to yourself "man I just can't wait to show this to everyone!" when you do this you will never go wrong. and don't worry when you get a 1 star, 10% of the population hates everyone and everything including the game they are playing.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The Cragsteep Crypt - BETA
    Ravenloft
    Look for@Apocrs1980 or visit the main page here or Ravenloft here
    edited June 2013
    apocrs1980 wrote: »
    Here is what it comes down to, if you put love in to what you create it will show, just like in cooking.

Aww, I only wish that were true. you can putt everything you have into something you love...its still not guaranteed that others will love it too :,(
    jlTYaLC.gif
    1.jpglXK5k1F.png
  • lolsorhandlolsorhand Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 981 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    The thing is.. You do what you like doing, good things may follow, or they may not :) Either way I'm having a blast.
    I like turtles.

Brethren of the Five, Campaign. - Story focused
    The Dwarven Tale - Hack 'N Slash
    edited June 2013
    Same :D I'm enjoying Neverwinter, creating Foundry content, playing UGC, and the Authors community >.< most fun I've had in an mmo in quite some time @_@ and it's basically free...
    jlTYaLC.gif
    1.jpglXK5k1F.png
  • maerwinmaerwin Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    lovepeas wrote: »

I wanna be the very best,
    Like no one ever was.
    To create quests is my real test,
    To have them played, my cause.

I'll put decor across the land.
    Timers far and wide.
    All Encounters to understand,
    The scaling that's inside!

Foundry, it's you and me,
    I know it's my destiny.
    Foundry, you're my best friend,
    in a world we must create!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    NW-DMFGWPBN3 The Lost City - Review Thread
  • visceralrevoltvisceralrevolt Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I make stuff because I like making stuff.

If other people also like the stuff I've made, that's cool. But I will continue to like making stuff even if they don't.

Besides, would you really want to be part of the foundry community if you were somehow better than everybody else? I want to enjoy other people's quests, not just my own. It would get pretty dull pretty fast if mine were the only good quests on there.

A community full of good authors is a good thing. We all win that way. The Foundry isn't (or, at least, shouldn't be, in my opinion) a contest, and if you approach it as such, you will never be satisfied.
    A Dwarven Dilemma Part 1 - The Wobbly Leg : NW-DTNZTFYDS @revolting
    Preview/Freedback thread:
    http://tinyurl.com/NW-DTNZTFYDS - Now eligible for Daily Quest!

A Dwarven Dilemma Part 2 - Luskan Delights : Coming soon!
  • vuelheringvuelhering Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I thought my quest would rocket up the charts, Sigar statues would be erected, folks would chant my name in the streets, Brazilian supermodels would encourage me to snort substances of questionable legality off their bottoms...

What?

That didn't happen to you, like everyone else?

How odd.
    Knights who say Ni!
    Foundry name: Vuelherring (with an extra 'R', matey)

"Bring out yer Dead" NW-DAI945C2G #humor #story #solo
  • thestoryteller01thestoryteller01 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    ....but the real obstacle is the other authors. You see, they have this annoying tendency to be brilliant.
    This.

And that's what makes creating Foundry quests really interesting. ;)
    In case you find my grammar or spelling weird ---> native german speaker ;)
  • drakesigardrakesigar Member Posts: 231 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    lovepeas wrote: »

Great. Last time it took months to get the song out of my head. :p
    vuelhering wrote: »
    What?

That didn't happen to you, like everyone else?

How odd.

I know, right?! Turns out popularity is a pyramid scheme.
    Check out Adventuring College! A 20 minute male-centric comedic solo adventure.
    Quest ID: NW-DPCZNUVQ7
  • chinspinnerchinspinner Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    maerwin wrote: »
    I wanna be the very best,
    Like no one ever was.
    To create quests is my real test,
    To have them played, my cause.

I'll put decor across the land.
    Timers far and wide.
    All Encounters to understand,
    The scaling that's inside!

Foundry, it's you and me,
    I know it's my destiny.
    Foundry, you're my best friend,
    in a world we must create!

This is possibly the worst poem I have ever read. I do not care if you are American, you are still a disgrace to the English language.
    My new quest:

WIP
  • oggbroxoggbrox Member Posts: 152 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    apocrs1980 wrote: »
    Here is what it comes down to, if you put love in to what you create it will show, just like in cooking. So, create what makes you excited and makes you say to yourself "man I just can't wait to show this to everyone!" when you do this you will never go wrong. and don't worry when you get a 1 star, 10% of the population hates everyone and everything including the game they are playing.

This is the perfect comment. Love it!
    Quests I like to share:

A CURIOUS DISAPPEARANCE by Sphecida: NW-DDLEOFL2Q
    A CRY UNANSWERED by obsidianw0lf: NW-DGNBAX3RD
    SIEGEBREAKER by ash4all: NW-DGDPWV2U5
  • kamaliiciouskamaliicious Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    lonnehart wrote: »
    and hopefully in this game I don't end up with hordes of women chasing me tearing off my armor and such like in EQ... such is the curse that all Bards of either gender...).
    Summoning hordes of the appropriate gender is going to be a daily. You will choose the gender when you get the daily power.
  • lovepeaslovepeas Member Posts: 162 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Great. Last time it took months to get the song out of my head. :p

Don't even try to get it out of your head. Just give in. :)http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmeUuoxyt_E
    The Delusions Quartet
    Act 1: Nightmare on Market Street
    Act 2: My Best Friend's Evil Wedding