test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Auto door open?

mostrandomistmostrandomist Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 75
edited June 2013 in The Foundry
Does anybody know how to make a door, not disappear, but simply open by itself when triggered? I can't figure it out for the life of me. All I can do is make walls and whatnot instantly disappear, which isn't very realistic. Isn't there a way to make those hidden walls that slide open or another type of non vanishing door that acts on its own when triggered?
Post edited by mostrandomist on

Comments

• Options
    angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    There are no "object translate" functions as of yet. So you can't have anything move unless it's an animation already built into the object. I always tell foundry authors this:

I recommend you do a little (only very *little*) research on how the audience attention is redirected during stage plays. Then use these techniques in your Foundry quests. For example - in my first quest two things happen immediately after you enter: the entrance suffered a cave-in, next you trigger a hidden door (rock wall is removed and reveals a passage way out of the trap room).

Using stage theatre technique is pretty simple: in both cases the action happens when the player is facing *away* from the action. The cave-in happens behind you, so when you turn around it's already happened; all you see is rock debris. In the other case the switch you activate to reveal the passage is on the opposite side of the room, you are facing away from it and further: there is a large prop between you and the newly-revealed passage way - you cannot see the rock when it just goes *poof* - even if you wanted to. Using a sound effect , the player hears a heavy rock sliding - then they see the new passage their mind will trick them into imagining they saw the rock wall sliding away. The same thing with a sound effect creating the illusion of a cave-in occurring.

:)

It's all smoke and mirrors. Try to always remember that and practice the technique and you will create some awesome stuff!
  • Options
    thewatcheruatuthewatcheruatu Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I have the same question as the OP, and I think the previous response may have misunderstood what was being asked. Basically, what I want is the standard, "pull the lever to open the portcullis gate" kind of action. In other words, the portcullis gate already has an interaction animation associated with it, and I can have the user open it by interacting with the gate, but what I'd rather do is to remove the interaction from the gate itself and transfer it to another object (e.g., a lever, a book on a shelf, etc.). Or alternately, tie it to meeting a series of objectives, like pulling separate levers in three different rooms. That sort of thing.

So to be clear, I don't want the gate to just disappear when the interaction objectives are met, nor do I want it to simply become interactable. I want the animation to play out automatically.

Is that possible?
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Going to bump this once to try to get an answer. Even if there's not a way to actually play out the animation, is there a way to put an animateable object in its secondary state? For example, I interact with a book shelf in one room, and when I return, the portcullis gate is open? Again, not gone, just in the open state.
  • Options
    narathkornarathkor Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    As far as I have found we can not make this function happen as of yet. However what you can do is pull the lever object interaction and make that advance the quest, make the gate disapear and reapear with a different y axis as open. I know you said no disapear but this is the closest you can do as of current tools AFAIK.
    Please check out my foundry quests!
    The Sins of the Father NW-DLN6BC8NX
    A Name For Yourself NW-DRBWMCFL4
    Click Here To Visit The Official Thread
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Thanks for the response. Much obliged.
  • Options
    phaetu1phaetu1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I was in a Foundry quest tonight and the author had doors that would move open. I don't remember which one it was but there were no smoke and mirrors at all. I'll try to find it again.
  • Options
    zogvarnokazogvarnoka Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 151 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    phaetu1 wrote: »
    I was in a Foundry quest tonight and the author had doors that would move open. I don't remember which one it was but there were no smoke and mirrors at all. I'll try to find it again.
    Some doors have the animation, most do not. Hence the smoke and mirrors a lot of people use. I'm having to do it for some "secret passages" to open up. You could use a teleport object, but sometimes that just breaks the immersion.

OP: For what you want to do the only way currently is with deception. Though a dev popped in the forums earlier and stated they were working on getting us interactable levers/switch objects.
    Removing the Grey Mask
    NW-DJ56XFK6G
    My first installment in the Rise of Shadovar Campaign.
  • Options
    mjikmjik Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    phaetu1 wrote: »
    I don't know if is the same door but the only door that i know that have the effect that the OP requested is the "Dungeon Cell Door - Openable", just type openable in the search of the details, there is also the "Transition Door - Wood Openable" but unlike the cell door the transition door is not closable
  • Options
    bigglesviibigglesvii Member Posts: 33
    edited June 2013
    I'm actually having issues with the Transitional door at the moment, In testing it's function was unpredictable but I had a couple of run's where it worked properly and opened. Now it's published, when interacted with it doesn't open. Not sure if its something to do with the latest update.
    Looking for reviews please:
    Foundry - Valindra Dispersal - Blackdagger: NW-DEPMC17EW
    Foundry - Valindra Dispersal - Rothe Valley: NW-DD3FM9CHY
    Foundry - Valindra Dispersal - Helm's Hold: NW-DG17WKDTC (NEW)
  • Options
    mosby1mosby1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 288 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    With a drop-timer, the ticks are fast enough that you could automate a portcullis opening. A door could be done, but would be a bit harder to do. With a portcullis, you're just changing the Y value, so it's easier to set up.

You can check out the extending bridge demo in the DM's Studio (NW-DHZ5DAV4R). Just take the portal to the Bridge Room. It could even be done faster and more smoothly by changing the starting height of the timer mobs.

But with a little smoke (literally) and mirrors, and sound-effects, you can do some pretty good animation.

Though I do agree with AngrySprite's excellent post, stagecraft goes a long way. And it's fun. :)
    DM's Studio - NW-DHZ5DAV4R
    The Cursed Emerald:
    1. Weird of the Weather-witch -- NW-DEZAK4QPA
    2. The Ambitious Apprentice -- NW-DLRAVW4S4
  • Options
    visigoth18visigoth18 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 371 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    I always tell foundry authors this:

I recommend you do a little (only very *little*) research on how the audience attention is redirected during stage plays. Then use these techniques in your Foundry quests. For example - in my first quest two things happen immediately after you enter: the entrance suffered a cave-in, next you trigger a hidden door (rock wall is removed and reveals a passage way out of the trap room).

Using stage theatre technique is pretty simple: in both cases the action happens when the player is facing *away* from the action. The cave-in happens behind you, so when you turn around it's already happened; all you see is rock debris. In the other case the switch you activate to reveal the passage is on the opposite side of the room, you are facing away from it and further: there is a large prop between you and the newly-revealed passage way - you cannot see the rock when it just goes *poof* - even if you wanted to. Using a sound effect , the player hears a heavy rock sliding - then they see the new passage their mind will trick them into imagining they saw the rock wall sliding away. The same thing with a sound effect creating the illusion of a cave-in occurring.

:)

It's all smoke and mirrors.

This really is great advice "I also think of Stop motion animation" when trying to preform certain functions "like a descending drawbridge"
    mosby1 wrote: »
    the extending bridge demo in the DM's Studio.
    lol, I was trying to explain this concept to someone back in may :D
    jlTYaLC.gif
    1.jpglXK5k1F.png
  • Options
    glantorxglantorx Member Posts: 189 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    One way is not to make the door intractable but put a small invisible wall in-front of it which can be intractable as for unlocking or removed after interacting with an object, the door/portcullis then opens normally.
  • Options
    bigglesviibigglesvii Member Posts: 33
    edited June 2013
    glantorx wrote: »
    One way is not to make the door intractable but put a small invisible wall in-front of it which can be intractable as for unlocking or removed after interacting with an object, the door/portcullis then opens normally.

I always forget about invisible assets. That should resolve my current issue, cheers.
    Looking for reviews please:
    Foundry - Valindra Dispersal - Blackdagger: NW-DEPMC17EW
    Foundry - Valindra Dispersal - Rothe Valley: NW-DD3FM9CHY
    Foundry - Valindra Dispersal - Helm's Hold: NW-DG17WKDTC (NEW)