test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

review regarding severe reaction

johnygwapojohnygwapo Member Posts: 442 Arc User
edited August 2013 in The Library
hello fellow CWs,

after a series of PVPs i made here is my review regarding severe reaction.

Severe Reaction - When struck you have a 15% chance to repel your attacker 1/2/3/4/5 feet and restore 2/4/6/8/10% of your Stamina. (This only work within 20 feet)

YES 5 feet is barely unnoticeable, but 5 ft and a second of stun of the repel could save your life. You could interrupt GWF,GF, and TR's combo with that. Im not sure with the internal cooldown of this feat, but there is no cooldown stated which i want to clarify with devs. If you are lucky with 15% chance then you can repel the attacker, and as for my experience the repel happens most of the time.

I can say that attackers were affected by 5 ft and a slight stun, because they were just standing for sec doing nothing. I feel better at pvp now compared to the previous build that i have that dont have severe reaction, everytime GWF rush into me and will do takedown/flourish (or whatever controls/encouter) after he does that i get severe reaction he cant proceed rightaway to his combo

BUT there are times that the "severe reaction" appeared but it didnt repel the attacker, which im not sure why, maybe because the attacker is immuned, or maybe the feat is somehow bugged. We would like to suggest that there will be an attacking dummy, so that we could clearly see the effect of the repel. This kind of dummy will also benefit other classes, for example if you want to test the effect of your defensive buffs

UPDATE 6/14/13:

the repel of this feat has no cooldown
tried it on epic kurrandax, most mobs cant get close to me, and i get 10% stamina every severe reaction, by that it can make me do kiting all the time which would make us less dependent to cleric. during our run, most of the time i was always outside AS.

REPEL DOESNT ACTUALLY STUN, IT MEANS TO INTERRUPT.
Post edited by johnygwapo on

Comments

• johnygwapojohnygwapo Member Posts: 442 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    i have an update to make.
    the repel of this feat has no cooldown
    tried it on epic kurrandax, most mobs cant get close to me, and i get 10% stamina every severe reaction that can make me do kiting all the time with teleport.
  • sirarionsirarion Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    If this doesn't have an internal cooldown in PVP then this might be the goto for PVP feats. I wish there was a duel function to test this properly.
  • frznvimesfrznvimes Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    The interrupt part doesn't improve as you add feat points, so it sounds like an okay one point wonder.
  • spacejewspacejew Member Posts: 1,044 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    frznvimes wrote: »
    The interrupt part doesn't improve as you add feat points, so it sounds like an okay one point wonder.

But the stamina gain increases. If you're kiting a lot Oppressor seems pretty legit. I'd just rather lock them down than kite them.
    MoF/Thaum CW SS/Thaum CW IV/Protector GF SW/Combat HR SM/Destroyer GWF WK/Executioner TR DO/Faithful DC
  • frznvimesfrznvimes Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    spacejew wrote: »
    But the stamina gain increases. If you're kiting a lot Oppressor seems pretty legit. I'd just rather lock them down than kite them.
    I don't think the stamina is worth it at all though. 4 feat points for a 15% chance to gain another 8% stamina after you get hit is, on average, 1.2% of your stamina back every time you're hit. You'd have to get hit around 30 times to get one more teleport.
    edited June 2013
    in PVE, stamina would make you less dependent to cleric. during our run, most of the time i was always outside AS.
    edited June 2013
    I don't think the stamina is worth it at all though. 4 feat points for a 15% chance to gain another 8% stamina after you get hit is, on average, 1.2% of your stamina back every time you're hit. You'd have to get hit around 30 times to get one more teleport.

not really convinced with your calculations. in my experience, i was able to have extra teleport most of the time, especially in PVE where there are lot of mobs gives my stamina full
    edited June 2013
    sirarion wrote: »
    If this doesn't have an internal cooldown in PVP then this might be the goto for PVP feats. I wish there was a duel function to test this properly.

true, perhaps a dummy that will fight us back right?
  • vorphiedvorphied Member Posts: 1,870 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    So I got my baby wiz high enough to max this feat out for the hell of it, and while it's tough to say exactly how useful it is so far, it does seem to do SOMETHING for my survivability. At the very least it's a little variety, so I'm having fun with it.

It's tough to nail down the degree of benefit you get from the feat, but it does seem to be making life easier in Helm's Hold. Part of it is no doubt because I've done the area on two other characters and know exactly what to expect, but I have pretty much the same bag of tools on her that I used on my main CW. Key difference is that I'm taking her the Oppressor route to check out the less popular build options, and I replaced Chill Strike in Tab with Conduit of Ice to try it with as close to a pure control build as I could make.

Hard to say for sure, but NPCs do seem to idle for a moment after getting hit with Severe Reaction, and it seems to be able to trigger even when you "dodge" an attack with teleport. I could also swear that it works even on control-immune NPCs because it appeared to be knocking around the pit fiends and changing their behavior when it fired.

As far as internal cooldown, it can't be a very long one, because it does fire pretty frequently.

I'm not sure yet if I would make room for it in my main's toolbox, but I'll keep leveling the alt and see how it works with end-game content and PvP.
    Sacrilege - Warlock
    Contagion - Cleric
    Testament - Wizard
    Pestilence - Ranger
    Dominion - Paladin

NIGHTSWATCH

edited June 2013
    vorphied wrote: »
    So I got my baby wiz high enough to max this feat out for the hell of it, and while it's tough to say exactly how useful it is so far, it does seem to do SOMETHING for my survivability. At the very least it's a little variety, so I'm having fun with it.

It's tough to nail down the degree of benefit you get from the feat, but it does seem to be making life easier in Helm's Hold. Part of it is no doubt because I've done the area on two other characters and know exactly what to expect, but I have pretty much the same bag of tools on her that I used on my main CW. Key difference is that I'm taking her the Oppressor route to check out the less popular build options, and I replaced Chill Strike in Tab with Conduit of Ice to try it with as close to a pure control build as I could make.

Hard to say for sure, but NPCs do seem to idle for a moment after getting hit with Severe Reaction, and it seems to be able to trigger even when you "dodge" an attack with teleport. I could also swear that it works even on control-immune NPCs because it appeared to be knocking around the pit fiends and changing their behavior when it fired.

As far as internal cooldown, it can't be a very long one, because it does fire pretty frequently.

I'm not sure yet if I would make room for it in my main's toolbox, but I'll keep leveling the alt and see how it works with end-game content and PvP.

thank you for your feedback. its so good to have someone is open for something new in the community
  • capgarnascapgarnas Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 500 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    I have noticed it proccing alot in pvp which is great as it helps with Red GWF and ITC rogues.

Its the only feat in op that i took and if you pvp its worth it.
  • astronaxastronax Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    capgarnas wrote: »
    I have noticed it proccing alot in pvp which is great as it helps with Red GWF and ITC rogues.

Wow.. Using full opressor path, but still missing this talent. Definitely gonna try this, thx for info. But question is: if i spend 1 point there will it be effective at interrupting things in PvP? With said microstun and stuff? Or 5 feets better than 1? Are there any reasons spending 5 points there except stamina regen?
  • pfft2pfft2 Member Posts: 301 Arc User
    edited July 2013

This is one area where I think the average is a little misleading. If you're running away (or hoping to run away), then all you care about is whether you have enough stamina for a teleport now. A fully-feated Severe Reaction gives the Wizard roughly a third of a teleport, which could easily be the difference between life and death.

That said, I'm not entirely sold on the feat myself. If all of the talk about opponent interrupts is true, and if there's no internal cooldown, and if the Feat can proc on any tick of damage (not just every attack activation, because if it's latter then the Wizard's probably dead long before the ~7-hit average proc rate cycles), then I could see how the feat would be tremendously useful, even at one point, and especially in PvP.

But if Severe Reaction procs that often at one point invested, then the extra stamina from a 5-point investment becomes more valuable, not less. In order to evaluate the stamina gain, we'd have to chart how often the proc has a chance to fire in the average encounter, and of course we'd have to know how much stamina we recover by default. To my untrained eye, it looks like CWs have a default stamina-recovery rate of ~10% per second, but I haven't measured it. In any case, the 10% number (from the feat) only becomes meaningful if we know what kind of gain it corresponds to over the default condition. On its face, 10% doesn't sound like a lot, but if (for example) Severe Reaction gives you effectively let's say 2 extra seconds worth of stamina over a 5-second period during which you're under attack, then that's a pretty big honking deal.

The gain, in that scenario, would be approximately 40%, not 10%.
  • grimahgrimah Member Posts: 1,658 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I would like to know more about this feat also.

Whether it interrupts channeled effects such as cresendo (gwf daily that stuns you in place)

What damage it can proc on (weapon enchant dots,)

I do see this as quite useful in pve, however things hit you so hard that you would most likely need a greater negation enchant to go along with it, to get the most out of this feat.
    Creator of the featured survival horror foundry: "The Silence of Haydenwick" Video Review
    and also the featured satirical comedic adventure "A Call for Heroes".
    edited July 2013
    grimah wrote: »
    I would like to know more about this feat also.

Whether it interrupts channeled effects such as cresendo (gwf daily that stuns you in place)

What damage it can proc on (weapon enchant dots,)

I do see this as quite useful in pve, however things hit you so hard that you would most likely need a greater negation enchant to go along with it, to get the most out of this feat.

it doesnt actually interrupt the first strike you will still be controlled/damaged, but it makes them harder to continue their combo because they will have to move forward a bit again to do their second strike and at that time you may able to escape by using shift or just run if you have good movement speed
  • maahkremuirsongmaahkremuirsong Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    i have a renegade wiz but i still have this as a passive on....... i love it! saved me a lot from GFs trying to combo me against a wall
  • magemyronmagemyron Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Hello fellow wizards!

I have a little experience with CWs on the game (I've got a level 60 one), and I tried respeccing to max Severe Reaction.

The first thing I noticed is that the feat procs too few times, 15% sounds a lot, but I spent some time being bashed by 5~7 mobs on purpose, and it only activated every 5 or so seconds. Perhaps the feat has an internal cooldown, or am I the unlucky one? And also, the distance that the mobs are pushed is nothing that would stall their attacks for too long, I haven't noticed this interruption people are saying here. The thing I liked about it was the stamina recovery though, makes it just a second or so to get another teleport.

On PvP, the feat never saved me. Example, I was fighting with this TR when it procced, I still took damage from his attack, managed to teleport way, but he dashes to my direction and kills me with his daily. Or against a GF, he finally manages to get close to me and strike, the feat procs, he's aparted by a minimal distance, with no stamina the recovery still wasn't enough to teleport away, he manages to get close again and attack. My experience with the feat wasn't that satisfactory.

And to top it all, there was this on Feywild patch notes:

Feat: Severe Reaction: This feat can now be resisted by immunity to Crowd Control.

Makes me tempted to respec again.