test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Dat graphical boost

nwroguenwrogue Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
edited June 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
Jesus Chri- errr Kelemvor!

Did anyone else notice the difference with the graphical 'performance' changes? Everything looks so bright and sharp now. Nice patch inclusion!
Milla Jovovich(Rogue)/Tilda Swinton(Cleric) - Guild Leader of CatAssTrophy on Beholder
Post edited by nwrogue on

Comments

• Options
    f3ral0nef3ral0ne Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 74
    edited June 2013
    nwrogue wrote: »
    Jesus Chri- errr Kelemvor!

Did anyone else notice the difference with the graphical 'performance' changes? Everything looks so bright and sharp now. Nice patch inclusion!

Ya enclave looks great. A LOT less lag for sure!
  • Options
    tang56tang56 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    f3ral0ne wrote: »

Could be because most of the server pop is downloading the patch.

I haven't noticed any graphical changes, but I had NWO maxed out before.
    RIP Neverwinter 26/06/2014
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    f3ral0ne wrote: »

Characters are so sharp and looks like a few artifacting issues with character armors was fixed.
    Milla Jovovich(Rogue)/Tilda Swinton(Cleric) - Guild Leader of CatAssTrophy on Beholder
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    tang56 wrote: »

Nope, it definitely looks better, and I already had everything at max and viewed on a perfect 24" HD monitor :P
  • Options
    tang56tang56 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    nwrogue wrote: »
    Nope, it definitely looks better, and I already had everything at max and viewed on a perfect 24" HD monitor :P

I'll have to take screenshots and see if I can tell.
  • Options
    lordmahyemlordmahyem Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I know I'm going to sound like an old man here, but I sure hope they get some patches on the GPU & CPU performance. I have a real gaming machine, but then a couple older P4 3GHz w/ GeForce 6800GTs. These old machines are fine if I turn the settings down a bit for DDO & Star Trek Online. Neverwinter MMO runs like garbage if I'm in an open area even with the draw distances turned all the way down and the quality set to junk. Old is old.. for sure.. But when I'm in an enclosed dungeon area I can turn the settings up quite a bit and make it look relatively okay with decent fps. It's like the engine has some issues with reducing the geometry and such. It's sad because DDO looks like a charm on these old machines and Neverwinter looks worse than the original Dungeon Siege. Sure my real gaming machine it runs great on.. But that's a Phenom x4 9950 BE w/ a EVGA GeForce GTX 670 FTW. There should be some way to improve the performance, especially if you turn it down and it makes little difference.
  • Options
    ranncoreranncore Member, Moderators, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 2,508
    edited June 2013
    Performance was improved for pretty much every spec of machine, but mostly for those running mid range settings.
  • Options
    snakebyte6x6x6snakebyte6x6x6 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I actually notice a lot more objects rendering as I approaching them, as if the draw distance was reduced....

Before the patch I had liquid smooth frame rates (except for one foggy spot in the tutorial area), after the patch I still have smooth frame rate...but the quality seems a little diminished....
  • Options
    ocampusmaximusocampusmaximus Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 200 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Indeed, textures look better now, improved colouring, sharper definition.
  • Options
    kaelon79kaelon79 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 55
    edited June 2013
    lordmahyem wrote: »
    I know I'm going to sound like an old man here, but I sure hope they get some patches on the GPU & CPU performance. I have a real gaming machine, but then a couple older P4 3GHz w/ GeForce 6800GTs. These old machines are fine if I turn the settings down a bit for DDO & Star Trek Online. Neverwinter MMO runs like garbage if I'm in an open area even with the draw distances turned all the way down and the quality set to junk. Old is old.. for sure.. But when I'm in an enclosed dungeon area I can turn the settings up quite a bit and make it look relatively okay with decent fps. It's like the engine has some issues with reducing the geometry and such. It's sad because DDO looks like a charm on these old machines and Neverwinter looks worse than the original Dungeon Siege. Sure my real gaming machine it runs great on.. But that's a Phenom x4 9950 BE w/ a EVGA GeForce GTX 670 FTW. There should be some way to improve the performance, especially if you turn it down and it makes little difference.

No you are not mistaken even on top end computers the game does not run a fraction as smooth as it should.

If you have a CPU and GPU monitor you can clearly see that the game is not accessing the GPU whatsoever while conversely overloading use on the CPU not only that but even though they have graphic options for boosting GPU they don't actually do anything. Another huge issue is the lack of accessing multiple cores, which is extremely pathetic in this day and age. The last issue regarding specifically their so called fixes for protectors while it did change up the appearance a little through changes in the lighting schemes the Processor loads from being in protectors vs anywhere else (even inside one of the town buildings, ie: companion or pvp) is extremely dramatic upwards of an additional 25% processor usage.

I have tested it on two computers myself and had a couple friends check their own all of which have similar results and is most certainly an unacceptable standard to pushing the game live with.
  • Options
    shadedkinshadedkin Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    tang56 wrote: »

The same for me. I did not notice any difference. Running I7-3770K 3.6ghz, 16gb of 1600 ram and two Nvidia GTX 680 SC in SLI. But I feel that I lost FPS in Protectors Enclave. I was getting 110-40 now I am getting 60-25fps. Running DX11 version everything maxed, 16xQ antialiasing, 16x anisotropic filtering. 42inch 1920x1080 @ 120hz monitor.
    11k+ GS CW | Langor@shadedkin | Dragon Server76561198027499089.png
  • Options
    odinspathodinspath Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I actually notice a lot more objects rendering as I approaching them, as if the draw distance was reduced....

Before the patch I had liquid smooth frame rates (except for one foggy spot in the tutorial area), after the patch I still have smooth frame rate...but the quality seems a little diminished....

I noticed this also, in general performance has improved however the effects from party members in combat (e.g dungeon fights) and draw distance still needs some work. I agree that the performance increase was mainly for mid end machines not high end ones, as my performance was not enhanced greatly compared to some others.

As kaelon79 mentioned if you monitor resource usage closely our higher end machine resources are not being utilized to their full potential.

I would not be far fetched to say that they will concentrate on enhancing mid rang performance as a bulk of players are using Mid-Range machines before the High end ones. Taking this approach makes sense to me and its what I would do.I don't hold a grudge for this because its the best plan of action and still progression, even if its not specifically for me and my user bracket :).
  • Options
    fallacy1fallacy1 Member Posts: 36
    edited June 2013
    Unfortunately, my laptop is too ****ty for me to run Neverwinter on anything except the very lowest graphical settings. It is horrible. And even then, my FPS still plummets here and there. Especially, when I am PvP'ing or I am in a dungeon or skirmish with multiple players. I mean, it reminds me of Minecraft. That is how bad it is.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Join Us|Officer of The Noore|Nyan Cat
  • Options
    kaelon79kaelon79 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 55
    edited June 2013
    Odinspath you are being quite diplomatic but are overlooking the basic facts that the issues I am describing are not limited to a high end machine. Not accessing your multiplecores when most every computer of the last 10 years is built using a multiple core processor and not using GPU when any decent computer will have a graphics card of some sort are both prime examples of just how poorly setup the game is to utilize anything a computer has to offer even at a low range.

I am using an AMD Phenom II X4 955 3.2ghz with 12gb ram and a Radeon HD 7750, though not the best of computers it is plenty to run any game on the market today in full settings. However, this game forces me to lower the settings to keep the CPU usage out of the red because of the issues here I have mentioned. Whereas, any other game (skyrim for example) I can run on full settings while streaming a movie on my second monitor and half a dozen other programs and still have less cpu usage by 20%.
  • Options
    odinspathodinspath Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    kaelon79 wrote: »
    Odinspath you are being quite diplomatic but are overlooking the basic facts that the issues I am describing are not limited to a high end machine. Not accessing your multiplecores when most every computer of the last 10 years is built using a multiple core processor and not using GPU when any decent computer will have a graphics card of some sort are both prime examples of just how poorly setup the game is to utilize anything a computer has to offer even at a low range.

I am using an AMD Phenom II X4 955 3.2ghz with 12gb ram and a Radeon HD 7750, though not the best of computers it is plenty to run any game on the market today in full settings. However, this game forces me to lower the settings to keep the CPU usage out of the red because of the issues here I have mentioned. Whereas, any other game (skyrim for example) I can run on full settings while streaming a movie on my second monitor and half a dozen other programs and still have less cpu usage by 20%.

Indeed what a pleasure it is to have someone using mainly facts and reasoning in their argument :).

Yes I did miss the main points of your post to be honest I skimmed it allow me to address your key points now if I may.

I am using just about the same setup with the following expetions and additional 2 Cores additonal 4GB RAM and I'm using the 7800 series.

In response to your statement on utilizing multi-cores, It is apparent they are trying to utilize at-least dual cores by looking at troubleshooting setup options. Shown are options given for single cores this suggests if you are not using multi-cores take that option. To be fair the internet is riddled with blogs and posts outlining the challenge with utilizing multi-core processing specifically with games, but that was somewhat of an older challenge(The most "Utilizing" games today still only use 3 cores max). But still relevant when a game is as new as NeverWinter Online.

My second main consideration I urge you to consider when passing judgement is the state of most games today. I have played many many games that are currently not utilizing my resources. they are everywhere some of them might get better, most of the probably won't. Why ?, because game development is falling so far behind the hardware that can power it and games are so complicated to write now. When Is the last time you saw an indie scroller or platform game with performance issues lol.

My point is yes I can see performance issues as I'm sure most can and yes! my hardware is not being utilized to its full potential. However most games are in the same boat, games that are 1-2 years after release still riddles with performance issues. But in this short time I have seen progression with NeverWinters performance increases more importantly then that I have seen attempts at improving the issues THAT is whats important, as long as progression is made no matter how small I will support the game and its development :).
  • Options
    nectarprimenectarprime Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    kaelon79 wrote: »

I am using an AMD Phenom II X4 955 3.2ghz with 12gb ram and a Radeon HD 7750, though not the best of computers it is plenty to run any game on the market today in full settings.

I am sorry sir but you are mistaken---- that machine should not be expected to be playing brand new games at maximum graphics and 60fps.
  • Options
    jaksgfcbfhjaksgfcbfh Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I actually found I'm lagging more since patch same kinda problem that i had before with CW's lift up ice spiral thing. They fixed that and it stopped now i can't tell what it is. it's fine 90% of the time till i go in dungeons and people start skilling and "sometimes" my fps drops from 40-50 to 1-2 for awhile then comes back out and there seems to be no specific thing causing it. I hope it gets fixed cause it makes it extremely hard to move out of red circles and stuff that it becomes unplayable.
  • Options
    jaksgfcbfhjaksgfcbfh Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I have the same CPU as him with only 4gb of ram and the sapphire radeon 4850 and i play most games on highest or just below with 0 problems i run this at 8x AA everything else maxed at a steady 40-50 fps apart from random fps drops that can noway be my pc with how its dropping
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    jaksgfcbfh wrote: »
    I actually found I'm lagging more since patch same kinda problem that i had before with CW's lift up ice I've noticed more lag as well. Have the time my CW teleport will activate, move me then I'll rubber-band back to where I started just time time to catch a boat load of red.

Frame rate I haven't see change too much. Still a constant 60fps for me, although NWO doesn't really touch my GPU utilisation with it normally using around 60-75%, a big change from Crysis 3 for example which maxes my GPU.

Just in case anyone wants to compare my base specs are(highlight to show):
    i5 2500K @ 5GHz, GTX670 4GB SC @ 1065MHz core, 6608MHz vram, 16GB DDR3 1866, Crucial M4 512SSD, Dell U3011