test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Guardians - What will you be changing post-patch?

synfoolasynfoola Member Posts: 198 Arc User
edited June 2013 in The Militia Barracks
Hey, gang.

I'm curious as to what you guys will be changing with the new patch? Will you be ranking up and using abilities that you wouldn't have touched before or maybe using more of this time around? Will you keep the tried & true Conqueror spec or feel motivated to try to go full tank? Is there new gear/stat requirements or enchants that you'll be having your eye on now?

I've kept my Guard on hold until this patch and, since we didn't get any frickin' Respec Tokens over on Test, I'm curious as to what you guys have learned and how you feel about updated GF tanking. Thanks! :)
Post edited by synfoola on

Comments

• jipatsujipatsu Member Posts: 94
    edited June 2013
    I think I am trying a bit more tankier build than before if the threat problem was addressed properly.
  • dartakxdartakx Member Posts: 201 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I'll stay conqueror just to be able to really see change in general in the game without changing my build.

I feel the only way to actually replace the conqueror capstone, is maybe half-half protector/tactician, since both their capstone really aren't great (at least was pre-patch)

The most surprising change is the damage buff to aggravating strike (aka Stab). On the dummy i hit for around 1400 with cleave (feat included) vs 2100 with Stab. I know cleave dps might be better and it's more consistent to hit several target, but if you had the feat in protector for an extra 15%, i don't feel you are to far behind. I just wonder whats the damage contribution of about 2700 power (tooltips says around 110 damage) on your total dps and if the extra survival is actually required.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • dkcandydkcandy Member Posts: 1,555 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Guardians - What will you be changing post-patch?

Start Kicking TR's for a GWF.
  • kr0owekr0owe Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 104 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    I will use the same build, maybe change one heroic feat though but not sure (Conqueror).
  • sfxer001sfxer001 Member Posts: 118 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    GF, Cleric, CW, CW, GWF-Instigator is a nice, fun, high party damage composition. . Holy cow does Instigator buff a solid group up. Didn't need a higher single target damage rogue when that can be made up with Instigator buff to everyone. Never cleared dungeons and bosses that quick before.
  • synfoolasynfoola Member Posts: 198 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    So are you guys keeping the same runes/enchants in your gear then; Radiants in Defense slots and Darks in Offense slots? What about enchants? Are you finding different ones are needed now? Same deal with your jewelry...have you been motivated to look into other rings/amulets now that you're getting more add threat and, thus, soaking more damage w/o the benefit of perma Astral Shield? Is Fighter's Recovery more of a mainstay on your Dailys now?

I'm just trying to get a grasp on what stuff to buy and use before I jump into delving so I can benefit the team the most. I'd hate to be too tanky and slow the boss fights down but a dead tank doesn't contribute any DPS or threat, ya know? :)
  • cichardcichard Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    i would like to know too.. just did an epic spider and astral shield stays up for a whole 4 seconds... i have to use fighters recovery and tons of HP potions just to stay alive and thats blocking when i have to block... Damage in t2s is crazy now i am thinking about switching over to full tank feats.
  • kidbskidbs Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 294
    edited June 2013
    I did T2 Karrundax for the delve and it was ezmode. I had no problems keeping threat from everyone. I never died, and had top damage (yeah I'm sure the others weren't the greatest but whatevs). I still need to try some more challenging T2s but so far it seems like they've really fixed the threat issues.
    edited June 2013
    Threat feels great in the T1 level dungeons. I can snap aggro back to me fairly easily and even minimize the damage I take by ping-ponging between mobs instead of standing still while still keeping threat high.
  • etherealjetherealj Member Posts: 1,091 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Added 5% Deflection and +% agro 3/3 to my normal Conq build.
    Use the <removed exploit lead-in> to interact with the auction vendor.
    edited June 2013
    editted - posted in wrong thread.
  • pranaxpranax Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    cichard wrote: »
    i would like to know too.. just did an epic spider and astral shield stays up for a whole 4 seconds... i have to use fighters recovery and tons of HP potions just to stay alive and thats blocking when i have to block... Damage in t2s is crazy now i am thinking about switching over to full tank feats.

I am having trouble in dungeons I used to run w/ ease. I used to be able to "face tank" everything. Now, I have to pop potions left and right, block all the time, and use Fighter's Recover, to just barely stay alive.

My threat is insane. Especially w/ Threatning Taunt and my 'dashing at will' (forget what it's called atm). My buddy, a GWF, is super happy, getting insane dps. We used to have the same dps in dungeons, now mine is cut in half, and his has gone significantly up.

All I know, is I am getting my asss handed to me right now. An 11.7K GF w/ Stone, struggling to Make it through Pirate's T2 w/ a competent group. The cleric is fine/safe, but I am getting wrecked. Gear, stats, feats, it all has to change.
    edited June 2013
    pranax wrote: »
    I am having trouble in dungeons I used to run w/ ease. I used to be able to "face tank" everything. Now, I have to pop potions left and right, block all the time, and use Fighter's Recover, to just barely stay alive.

My threat is insane. Especially w/ Threatning Taunt and my 'dashing at will' (forget what it's called atm). My buddy, a GWF, is super happy, getting insane dps. We used to have the same dps in dungeons, now mine is cut in half, and his has gone significantly up.

All I know, is I am getting my asss handed to me right now. An 11.7K GF w/ Stone, struggling to Make it through Pirate's T2 w/ a competent group. The cleric is fine/safe, but I am getting wrecked. Gear, stats, feats, it all has to change.

Your damage is cut in half? Speccing out of Conq was a waste :D
  • tang56tang56 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Swapped lunging strike for Iron warrior.

So I'm a level 45 running, Iron Warrior, Villains/Terrifying Impact , Fighter's Recovery, Cleave, Frontline Surge, Into the Fray, Threatening Rush, Combat Superiority and Shield Talent. I'm not sure it's going to be enough either.

Having to be much more maneuverable as well, getting with my guard down for a daze or knockdown is devastating given the number of adds I have on me.
    RIP Neverwinter 26/06/2014
  • cichardcichard Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    etherealj wrote: »
    Your damage is cut in half? Speccing out of Conq was a waste :D

if you want to stay alive you have to.... ya know actually tank the mobs... astral shield lasts like 5 seconds.... and you cant put it down for like 3 more after.. So i swaped feats to actually tank turtle and the group is doing much better i can block for days i can hold agro on everything while the CW is getting his CC up.
    edited June 2013
    if you want to stay alive you have to.... ya know actually tank the mobs... astral shield lasts like 5 seconds.... and you cant put it down for like 3 more after.. So i swaped feats to actually tank turtle and the group is doing much better i can block for days i can hold agro on everything while the CW is getting his CC up.

Haven't had a problem in t2 yet tanking as Conq. I guess CN might be problematic but I'm unconvinced that prot/tact are worth it yet.
    edited June 2013
    Astral Shield lasts 10 seconds, and has a cooldown of .. like... 15 seconds. They use Forgemaster's Flame to heal during the break. Our cleric said it was fine as long as we timed our CC's for it instead of mouthbreathing our way through the dungeon..
  • meads91meads91 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Only issue I see with the Astral Shield nerf is like you said, people who are used to standing in melee range of bosses who are about to do an aoe melee ranged big *** hit and don't feel the need or lack the knowledge of moving out of said red circle. It really isn't a big nerf, the skill was faceroll overpowered with 2 clerics in a group and now it is fine. Even allows for a proper group make up now that tanks have a job to do with holding threat. And to all the Gwf/GF/TR complaining about using pots, welcome to the world the clerics have been in the past months, kiting around adds and getting 1 shot down to 1/4 health, going through around 20-30 pots in a Epic Spellplague isn't fun for anyone.
    edited June 2013

Ok, so let me find 150K AD somewhere, short of buying it w/ cash to respec my character. And all the new gear I have to buy to get more defensive stats.

And wait, Fighter's Recovery and all of our other powers are soo good... Let me Pop FR, get knocked down, popped up, take damage, and die. All before I actually get to get a ****ty heal/damage off.
    edited June 2013
    Do you stand completely still in one place and let yourself get surrounded like a Tauren Warrior or something?
  • francofishmanfrancofishman Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    pranax wrote: »
    Ok, so let me find 150K AD somewhere, short of buying it w/ cash to respec my character. And all the new gear I have to buy to get more defensive stats.

And wait, Fighter's Recovery and all of our other powers are soo good... Let me Pop FR, get knocked down, popped up, take damage, and die. All before I actually get to get a ****ty heal/damage off.

Well, seeing as how popping FR and then hitting ET and FS heal you to full, you must be doing something wrong. I wager standing in red circles.
    edited June 2013
    Well, seeing as how popping FR and then hitting ET and FS heal you to full, you must be doing something wrong. I wager standing in red circles.

You can cast spells when you're on the ground?..... You're right, I must be doing something wrong
    edited June 2013
    Same feeling, my guild all felt the same, mobs hit harder, and astral shield is up 60% of the time, i seriously get hit harder than before, wizards got constantly one shotted when out of astral shield and took an AoE damage. I suspect maybe a dmg increase on t2 monsters or a combination of many element made us more vulnerable. I've done hundred of T2, tonight i did 3 different T2, at some part i got wrecked like never before, and im used to play with the same people. I start to consider going protector or a mix of protector/tactician.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • zzzzzdankzzzzzdank Member Posts: 180 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Before the patch came but after announced I decided to try a completely different style..

So I have switched to focusing my gear on full defensive style stats (not just defense, but deflection/hp and as many defense slots in my gear as I can get). I also switched to a Protector spec.

Ran a few dungeons with it today and gotta say I'm enjoying it quite a bit.. My damage is crappy, but I held threat pretty well and my shield can take a DRASTIC amount more of a beating without breaking. I feel like an actual tank class now and it's pretty awesome.

Oh btw, even though my Cleric and CW's all got downed several times in my last run and the Rogue went down once or twice as well, I was able to stay alive and res them all without ever going down once. (spellplague) SP seems to be a lot rougher on CW and TR now.
  • vidfinnxvidfinnx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 98
    edited June 2013
    So is the consensus its no longer possible to face tank as a full dps spec all the content? You must have some tanking talents?
    Mindflayer Server
    Worst GF NA
  • megerkomegerko Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    if u party have enough DPS to kill mobs before other one spawn - u can tank in DPS build.
    if they not not - u gonna die very quick.. -_-
    edited June 2013
    vidfinnx wrote: »
    So is the consensus its no longer possible to face tank as a full dps spec all the content? You must have some tanking talents?

No it's possible, but not 100% of the time with any party.

Your party can no longer stay in Astral Shield indefinitely and i think some other classes DPS build are less effective. A fully geared party will do fine and won't really notice, i did fine too as conqueror tonight, but the recent change changed the mechanic. While being full protector is not a necessity, it's actually more useful and more rewarding now since they pretty much nerf some "speed run" efficiency and party get a bit more vulnerable if they don't have very good control or very good damage to kill everything quickly. You can't faceroll face tank conqueror, but it doesn't make the build worthless, just need to be more cautious and communicate with the team, might be harder with a pug.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • mhblis1mhblis1 Member Posts: 167 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Yeah by the looks if you pug Prot is the way to spec since you tend to get awful add control or low dps. If you run with a set group nothing much has changed except the part where if you want to tank you can actually keep the mobs off of the DC.
  • vidfinnxvidfinnx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 98
    edited June 2013
    Oh was just wondering cause im a pvpholic which usually dictates where my build goes as of now i was lined up for a full dps setup but i might need to add some tankiness in now i run alot of pugs as i work different hours and im only level 47 as of right now
    Mindflayer Server
    Worst GF NA
    edited June 2013
    vidfinnx wrote: »
    Oh was just wondering cause im a pvpholic which usually dictates where my build goes as of now i was lined up for a full dps setup but i might need to add some tankiness in now i run alot of pugs as i work different hours and im only level 47 as of right now

I think gear/power selection matters much than feat for pvp. You might want to mix your feats into conqueror/protector, like the Aegis tanking build or a conqueror build with the 10 points in protector for additional defence. Both could work, theres possibility to find a good protector pvp build with knight challenge and/or Knight valor, playing as bodyguard, but i had no success in trying so, but i could see it working.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]