test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Im a CW and this is what i want from the GWF class

grimahgrimah Member Posts: 1,658 Arc User
edited June 2013 in The Militia Barracks
Hi, im a control wizard here, i do enjoy my class alot. Its wonderful how we are so needed in groups almost always neccesary for things to work (smoothly). However our role mostly comes down to one thing, cc and bump **** off.

Now you may wonder why i post here, about GWF, not CW. I dont want CWs buffed for damage. No sir. I would like to see GWF buffed.

Why cant gwf gets more buffs to AoE damage? they have a huge frigging sword, and it would fit their role perfectly. instead of "having" to bump **** off as a nessecity for almost all encounters, it would be WONDERFUL to see GWF class be able to bring the option of destroying them instead.

Also i would love to see (in the future) a paragon tree, here GWF get shouts,debuffs and other wonderful support spells. that can stun/confuse/fear monsters away, giving us CWs the option to do something different. Hell they are almost a barbarian, those numerous minions should cower in the might of a great sword welding GWF.

Why cant we work together to make our experience wonderful, before clerics and CWs were the classes with the most snergy, but i would love to see GWF and CWs working together to make the dungeons a better place for all.

Stand and unite!

P.S im getting sick of bumping (not the forum kind).
Creator of the featured survival horror foundry: "The Silence of Haydenwick" Video Review
and also the featured satirical comedic adventure "A Call for Heroes".
Post edited by grimah on

Comments

• ioannides5ioannides5 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    as long as there is hole/edges in dungeons, GWFs are useless and not needed. Stacking 2 CWs is far more efficient. You want GWFs to be used? Take knocking adds off edges completely out of the game so AoE damage would actually be needed... then CWs and GWFs would have great sync.
  • deotaydeotay Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    ioannides5 wrote: »
    as long as there is hole/edges in dungeons, GWFs are useless and not needed. Stacking 2 CWs is far more efficient. You want GWFs to be used? Take knocking adds off edges completely out of the game so AoE damage would actually be needed... then CWs and GWFs would have great sync.

Even if ledges were taken out, I still don't believe that it would be enough to make GWF viable. I don't have any mathematical proof but I do believe a CW will frequently deal more damage than a GWF and since their abilities don't have a target cap, CWs will probably be able to clear adds more efficiently than a GWF.

As for the OP, I applaud your willingness to see the struggles of another class. Sadly the kind of overhaul GWFs need will probably not be arriving any time soon as the class problems are pretty deep-seated from what I understand, so unfortunately you'll probably have to stick to bumping adds off cliffs.
  • sfxer001sfxer001 Member Posts: 118 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    GWF provide quite a party-wide damage boost between Student of the Sword and Instigator's buff...

Best party I've been with so far today is GF, DC, CW, CW, GWF-Instigator. Time to sell rogues their loot back to them.
  • fimcontefimconte Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    sfxer001 wrote: »
    GWF provide quite a party-wide damage boost between Student of the Sword and Instigator's buff...

Best party I've been with so far today is GF, DC, CW, CW, GWF-Instigator. Time to sell rogues their loot back to them.

TR brings better damage than GF.
    Fans Glory to the Gladiators,
    Gods Glory to the Heroes.

TR:Anirul Corrino@Fimconte
    GF:Irulan Corrino@Fimconte
  • judicasjudicas Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 156 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    swap out that GWF for a TR and the group will run 10x smoother and be done with 5 -10 runs before the one with the GWF is
  • b0r7b0r7 Member Posts: 60 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    judicas wrote: »
    swap out that GWF for a TR and the group will run 10x smoother and be done with 5 -10 runs before the one with the GWF is

Yeah, GWF isn't...where it should be is all I can say. Mine is only 26, but ran in a group of 2x GF, 2x GWF, and 1 DC with the stat window open for the group (hit X, change the window over) while doing Craigmire. Needless to say in the first 10 minutes, one GF shot to the top of the damage charter while the other was bottom. Thing is, this one GF was like almost 100k damage while both the other GWF and I where about 44k (pretty much for the first 10 minutes, the GWFs where swaping 2nd and 3rd place while the GF had about a 50k lead). I managed to come in second to the GF while the other GWF came in third...but the GF had a HUGE amount more damage.

Doesn't help that the Determination ability is tied to taking damage (or killing foes...but its miniscule at best hitting foes...target dummies require me to blink to miss the orange building up). When the GF is tanking, its harder to raise determination since the payback of getting hit is higher than damage delt to raise determination...basicly only red blots on the ground make you go into beserker mode if there is a GF in the group. If you get hit, determination rockets but someone is distracting the target preventing you from taking damage...you are sub optimal compared to a rogue that just has to have stealth up (or down, while recharging it still does decent damage). AoE doesn't seem to matter in this game...NPC are either really weak dying in 2-3 hits leaving the huge boss with lousy single target ability (which even a rogue can down multiple opponents provided the player is quick) or so tough that single target trumps AoE (basically, single target can kill multiple opponents in the long run just about as quickly as GWF AoE...only takes a couple of more seconds for my rogue to kill 5 of the weakest NPC then a GWF flinging his weapon around in wide arcs to build determination, provided someone isn't pulling the NPC off me since its better to be hit than hit targets).

I don't know much since I have only 26 levels of experience so far, but the GWF just doesn't feel like it is doing much unless it is tanking but that would kill the GF role for tanking. Feels like I struggle in a group fighting my team mates to use determination. Would rather be a single target DPS/striker then a crappy AoE machine...like 80% of the DPS of a rogue and 60% of the tanking ability of of GF...kind of like the Scrapper from City of Heroes or determination should build like the Brute on the City of Villian side where you hit targets to build determination (instead of getting hit like in NWO).
  • vallivvalliv Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    *To be able to be a dmg leader playing gwf, one has to rush into the fray and go berserk, (hoping the cleric will save you).
    making the teamplay horrid.

and even doing so, you will be out dmg'd when there's a rouge in the group ;)

AoE dmg is small, even though it piles upp, and managing to catch a group for enaugh time that isnt pushed/scattered by others usually only lasts a few seconds, (about 2-3 slow swings of the sword) and then you'r maybe catching x2 targets if you manage to place yourself decently.

using encounter skills, to focus dmg on single target is ok. though that cannot be cycled with much efficiency.
    (and after the knockdown skill isnt on half cooldown when missing he's even worse, since knockdown is a really important skill).
    so in the long run. If a gwf want's to be a leader in a dmg score he will have to disrupt the teamplay, and have rather poor teamplay skills in use. And he will have a runn for the score to do so....
    also he will be un'efficient compared to other classes.

(a) he's not the greatest tank. so using him as so, can quickly go wrong. and thus better to use a GF there.
    (b) he's not really that efficient dmg dealer, (other classes are able if play'd that way to dish out allot more dmg).
    (c) ... why use him ? because you'r playing one =) *I think that's the only reason. and we try to prevail with what we have.

Don't get it wrong, he's a fun class to use, and he does dmg ;) and when a huge group of small buggers all get on you at the same time and you dont have anything to push them away, you'll love him ;D
    *anyhow rant over.
  • spacejewspacejew Member Posts: 1,044 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    A CW that ignores their own damage in favor of party buffs and focuses on CC can make GWF useful. It's the spec I finally decided on for my Wizard, simply because I rolled a GWF first and I know what I wish CW built for. Pure arcane, no DPS abilities, utter lockdown on as many add's as you want to throw at the group. However, most CW do not go that route. The CW Chill DPS spec performs at roughly the same level as the GWF's AoE DPS, while giving the group another Arcane Singularity and better crowd control. (Not to mention it lets the Arcane CW take advantage of the chill stacks applied by the chill spec. CW)

GWF, much like the DC, relies heavily on other classes to do certain things. The difference is DC is a necessity to clear content, GWF is not. It's likely GWF will never be a necessity, although it can of course work throughout all the content. If the CW doesn't play the 'intended' crowd control spec, which most do not, then the GWF might as well not go at all.

For that matter, a CW and a TR are also required. The GF is more needed now after the circle nerf, although I hesitate to call it a necessity. GWF is still an 'optional' class that you can replace with other options for speedier, safer runs. Given that most queue PUG groups are composed almost exclusively by morons, I've put my GWF on the shelf indefinitely in favor of my CW that can make even the most moronic groups succeed. (I.E. I get end boss loot much more consistently.)

This is why the release of the Ranger class is going to hamstring GWF. Actually, scratch that, the release of any other class period is going to hamstring GWF.
    MoF/Thaum CW SS/Thaum CW IV/Protector GF SW/Combat HR SM/Destroyer GWF WK/Executioner TR DO/Faithful DC
  • tarmalentarmalen Member Posts: 1,020 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    spacejew wrote: »
    A CW that ignores their own damage in favor of party buffs and focuses on CC can make GWF useful. It's the spec I finally decided on for my Wizard, simply because I rolled a GWF first and I know what I wish CW built for. Pure arcane, no DPS abilities, utter lockdown on as many add's as you want to throw at the group. However, most CW do not go that route. The CW Chill DPS spec performs at roughly the same level as the GWF's AoE DPS, while giving the group another Arcane Singularity and better crowd control. (Not to mention it lets the Arcane CW take advantage of the chill stacks applied by the chill spec. CW)

GWF, much like the DC, relies heavily on other classes to do certain things. The difference is DC is a necessity to clear content, GWF is not. It's likely GWF will never be a necessity, although it can of course work throughout all the content. If the CW doesn't play the 'intended' crowd control spec, which most do not, then the GWF might as well not go at all.

For that matter, a CW and a TR are also required. The GF is more needed now after the circle nerf, although I hesitate to call it a necessity. GWF is still an 'optional' class that you can replace with other options for speedier, safer runs. Given that most queue PUG groups are composed almost exclusively by morons, I've put my GWF on the shelf indefinitely in favor of my CW that can make even the most moronic groups succeed. (I.E. I get end boss loot much more consistently.)

This is why the release of the Ranger class is going to hamstring GWF. Actually, scratch that, the release of any other class period is going to hamstring GWF.

I like my GWF.

Your last remark is exactly why I am getting two more character slots and adding the new classes. GWF is a involved class and as such should be rewarded for optimal play. Instead we get semi afk CW and TR leaving us in the dust as far as DPS and utility are concerned.
  • spacejewspacejew Member Posts: 1,044 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    tarmalen wrote: »
    I like my GWF.

Your last remark is exactly why I am getting two character more slots and adding the new classes. GWF is a involved class and as such should be rewarded for optimal play. Instead we get semi afk CW and TR leaving us in the dust as far as DPS and utility are concerned.

Honestly, when the new classes come out I'm going to just delete my GWF. It's just a placeholder/invocation mule at this point and that is likely never going to change. Maybe its a good off tank, it's just that off tanking isn't something that is needed. At all. Even if you're an off tank, you still rely on the CW to gather/stun add's so I think it's a pretty moot point.

If I find a guild that has some CW that build for teaming I might keep it, but considering I can make or break a group on my CW whereas my GWF is completely at the mercy of the rest of the team I'm not feeling hopeful.
    MoF/Thaum CW SS/Thaum CW IV/Protector GF SW/Combat HR SM/Destroyer GWF WK/Executioner TR DO/Faithful DC