test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Is there any reason to play a GWF class?

solsticexisolsticexi Member Posts: 26 Arc User
edited June 2013 in The Militia Barracks
Hey guys, i'm thinking of starting a GWF....but looking at all the hate that i see on the forums for this class.

Will it be worth it? I'm not sure about the coming patch, since i couldn't make out what the patch notes for GWF meant. Hopefully its a buff, even if its a small one...i like 2handed warrior classes so i don't want to give up on them just yet. :D
Post edited by solsticexi on

Comments

• Options
    khatzhaskhatzhas Member Posts: 268 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    If you enjoy playing it, then that is all the reason that you need, right there.
    I'd suggest just trying it.

The patch notes do give us some buffs. When the dust settles, people will be able to look at performance and decide how we are doing.
  • Options
    mconosrepmconosrep Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Depends whether you want to do endgame dungeons or not. If you do, then it is worth checking to see if the class has had sufficient buffs and enough instant-kill 'tricks' have been fixed to make it desirable in end-game (assuming you are not in a Guild that will take your GWF for runs).

If you just like leveling then sure play it - its a fun class mechanic wise, just redundant at present in end-game dungeons.
  • Options
    m3atba9m3atba9 Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I am having more fun with the GWF than any of the other classes so far. (Well... cept maybe the GF) After todays patch I think the biggest problem I have with the class will be addressed nicely, and that is being more dependent on potions than any of the other classes.

GWF are getting some self healing abilities that will ease dependence on potions. Also iirc there are some mitigation buffs that should also help with incoming damage which will further ease potion dependence. These are the 2 biggest things imo that will make leveling and soloing at least a whole lot easier.

Whether or not the class becomes desirable or remains an "outie" is yet to be seen. Personally I don't care one way or the other I will still play one and play it my way its just too much fun not to.
  • Options
    mehguy138mehguy138 Member Posts: 1,803 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    When i play GWF i understand that no matter how good gear i have i still have MUCH more success with every other class both in PVE and PVP. Every other class works better in any way. I played GWF first, then when i started to feel that i suck i switched to CW and...I'm 60 lvl CW now. And I also have 50+ lvl GF and Rogue. I don't wanna come back to playing GWF, i just can't.
    M6 almost drains your soul given how boring it is. (c) joocycuzzzzzz
  • Options
    wolfenhowlwolfenhowl Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    It's okish if you to just level one but if you want more than just T1 action,don't bother unless you either have people to carry you or you enjoy being frustrated trying to get into a group.Having no role that one of the other classes can fit has drawn a lot of distaste for this class that I doubt will wash away anymore no matter how much their gonna polish the class.

Try a rogue,wiz or cleric while yes there's a lot of them their also desired,hell even a gf get's more love than us.

PvP is a mess in general not just for the gwf...
  • Options
    drogon4drogon4 Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    mehguy138 wrote: »
    When i play GWF i understand that no matter how good gear i have i still have MUCH more success with every other class both in PVE and PVP. Every other class works better in any way. I played GWF first, then when i started to feel that i suck i switched to CW and...I'm 60 lvl CW now. And I also have 50+ lvl GF and Rogue. I don't wanna come back to playing GWF, i just can't.

^^Unfortunately this. Wish it were otherwise.
  • Options
    thesipeliusthesipelius Member Posts: 95
    edited June 2013
    I've always wondered about this trash talk towards the GWF. I've always gotten to groups and I've never had problems in T2 dungeons. Just yesterday it was me who killed the boss in spellplague after our rogue had died. The thing that I love about the gwf is that it's not a glass cannon, more like a wooden rifle. You can take damage so that you don't die instantly and you can make damage enough to kill bosses.

I've also now learned how to somewhat kick *** in PvP and I can take out wizards with a single "empty-all-my-powers" type of attack and I can also kill GFs pretty nicely. Rogues are somewhat problematic since they dealt huge amounts of damage but that may have changed now, we'll see.
  • Options
    s3z3s3z3 Member Posts: 216 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    I've always wondered about this trash talk towards the GWF. I've always gotten to groups and I've never had problems in T2 dungeons. Just yesterday it was me who killed the boss in spellplague after our rogue had died. The thing that I love about the gwf is that it's not a glass cannon, more like a wooden rifle. You can take damage so that you don't die instantly and you can make damage enough to kill bosses.

I've also now learned how to somewhat kick *** in PvP and I can take out wizards with a single "empty-all-my-powers" type of attack and I can also kill GFs pretty nicely. Rogues are somewhat problematic since they dealt huge amounts of damage but that may have changed now, we'll see.

If player is bad\casual lvl then u can take em out pretty easy on GWF. If CW is higher skill then casual u will never even touch him cause every our skill is easily dodged.
    Carnage TR Dragon shard - retired? hell yea it's retired along with Nevewinter

Seze - Rogue - Necropolis - <3 RIFT
  • Options
    asdfasdfgfasdfasdfgf Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 237 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    I look forward to Sentinel trolling in pvp with the adjusted changes.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    asdfasdfgf wrote: »
    I look forward to Sentinel trolling in pvp with the adjusted changes.

6 Greater Tenebrous Enchants on CW disagree :)

• Options
    asdfasdfgfasdfasdfgf Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 237 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    6 greater tenebrouz on my gwf + dodge from leap agree :)

New takedown mechanic makes it extremely difficult to dodge whereas before you could just back peddle and lol
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    6 greater tenebrouz on my gwf + dodge from leap agree :)

Like GWF can land even one encounter on top tier CW ;) never going to happen. **** hunting I agree, top CW still untouchable. Proly untill ranger release and then 6 GTE Ranger OP 8)

I got my 6 GTE on GWF, **** hunting is fun, can even one shot some ppl but proper top tier CW\TR still <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> like crazy.

• Options
    edited June 2013
    s3z3 wrote: »
    Like GWF can land even one encounter on top tier CW ;) never going to happen. **** hunting I agree, top CW still untouchable. Proly untill ranger release and then 6 GTE Ranger OP 8)

I got my 6 GTE on GWF, **** hunting is fun, can even one shot some ppl but proper top tier CW\TR still <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> like crazy.

You should stop idolizing CWs. Even 'Top tier' CWs fall repeatedly in matches. Stop solo queueing and learn how teamwork and coordination can pay off.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    You should stop idolizing CWs. Even 'Top tier' CWs fall repeatedly in matches. Stop solo queueing and learn how teamwork and coordination can pay off.

90% of ppl are not playing premade. We run premade y and it's easy, but for solo Q as most of players it's tough out there.

• Options
    porpoisealertporpoisealert Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 86
    edited June 2013
    With the changes to DC aggro, I am finding that GWF's have a new strength- AoE kiting. They're more mobile and have better AoE threat output than GF's while stacking no +threat abilities from the Sentinel tree. Now that you can't just stand on walls and get 100% of the threat as a DC, I'm betting GWF's will see a lot of success.
  • Options
    sfxer001sfxer001 Member Posts: 118 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    I queued and did Epic Throne of Idris in seemingly half the usual time today with a group like this:

GF-Conq (me), DC, CW, CW, GWF-Instigator. No rogue. We crushed through that dungeon so fast that I thought they had halved the bosses hitpoints or something. Pretty sure student of the sword and instigator capstone doubling our group damage output was the diffierence. Everything was perma-CC'd and just cleaved to hell. Honestly, all a rogue would have done is contribute single target DPS and added nothing to the party other than that, possibly leading to a slower run.

Was very, very happy with that group.