test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

PW Patch - melee domination in PvP

errantvolleyerrantvolley Member Posts: 46 Arc User
edited June 2013 in PvE Discussion
I haven't had much chance to test the balance changes in PvE. The changes in PvP are profound. The nerf to TR has made little difference to my playstyle. I'm still topping the boards with kills and feel pretty good 1v1 and 1v2 on most players. The stealth dagger build still works and that really needs to be changed.

What I have noticed, however, is melees completely dominate now. GWF damage has put them on the other side of 1v1 hill. They now cream their enemies before dying. GFs are doing very well now too.

CWs and DCs are making much less impact on their team. I have a 60 CW and I think a big part of this is the nerf to RoE. Most 1v1 fights end in a loss now and in group battles my CW feels ineffectual.

In the 20 or so PvP matches I have played since the patch went live GWFs are now routinely breaking 20+ kills and a few 30+ kills. TRs and GFs are up there. CWs and DCs are always at the bottom of the list.

The MMO nerf/buff cycle happens in every game it seems. Right now in PW Neverwinter range and magic are out and melee takes all. Luckily I have a geared TR and a GWF near to 60.

I'm curious if you guys are feeling the same as I am. Honestly the classes were closer before the patch.
Post edited by errantvolley on

Comments

• nbitznbitz Member Posts: 1
    edited June 2013
    My DC became useless overnight, it's my only character so you can imagine how happy I am :)))

Healing went down with about 25%, Damage overall went down by about 10% except for one skill. I'm a lot squishier too. Yeah. Good work on the patch. Fix ASAP !
  • seedyr0mseedyr0m Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Thanks for the input but what exactly is this "stealth dagger build" you speak of?
  • agbadehanagbadehan Member Posts: 74
    edited June 2013
    Good.

10char
  • blovisblovis Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Got to agree with the author, I haven't really pvped much just few days before patch but today GWF seem to be ruling the roost
  • malganysxmalganysx Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    GWF is the same... smae exact damage with minor CD.. WOOOW... a rogue hit me for 13k... and i have 23 k HP.. this is insane.. 3 times he do tath bha... a heavy armored warrior who takes 13k! lol this is balance! i can do my best and hit for max 8k lol MY BEST!
  • pinkfontpinkfont Member Posts: 563 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    malganysx wrote: »
    GWF is the same... smae exact damage with minor CD.. WOOOW... a rogue hit me for 13k... and i have 23 k HP.. this is insane.. 3 times he do tath bha... a heavy armored warrior who takes 13k! lol this is balance! i can do my best and hit for max 8k lol MY BEST!

I don't know what games you're playing, but GWFs are doing great. You just don't seem very good, in my opinion.
    A rich rogue nowadays is fit company for any gentleman; and the world, my dear, hath not such a contempt for roguery as you imagine. - John HAMSTER
  • bananachefbananachef Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Burst damage-wise GWFs havent changed in pvp. It's just a matter of not being insta-gibbed as often from RoE or SE + the bonus temp health from unstoppable letting them stick in fights longer--building momentum through Student of the Sword, Weapon Master, and/or Destroyer stacks over a longer fight.
    2 GWFS, 3 TRs, 2 GFs, 1 HR, 1 CW
  • diogene0diogene0 Member Posts: 2,894 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I've always been sort of permastunned by CWs and GWFs but i could outheal most of the damage from 1-2 players. I also used to be able to heal my team consistently between two stuns and knocbacks... Like once every 10-15s in most matches where players know how to play. Now it's not possible anymore. All i can do is supporting the team for 10s and then die because someone got a lucky shot on me, with a low mitigation value from Divine Armor at best... This is ofc not enough to do something significant in a match. Being constantly on respawn timer because my character is fragile while my own heals and dmg mitigation tools are far from changing the tide of a match now is really frustrating.

Nerfing AS and fixing aggro was the winning combo to make PvE easier. But PvP? Not so much. Players aren't mobs and i can't force them to ignore me. Instead they will keep focusing me and will get their kill as soon as my main heal is on CD and down. Sad. PvP is my favourite part of the game, but i guess i'm now forced to create a new char (anything but a cleric) to enjoy it. I don't mind not being able to control my character for extensive period of time, since PvP is all about stuns in this game, but i don't like not being useful and not being able to do anything because i can't survive long enough to do something for my team between two stuns.

Before the patch, pvp as a cleric was something like engage, stunned, stunned, stunned, heal, stunned, stunned, stunned, heal, or sometimes die, now it's just engage, stunned and die, unless your foes really suck hard at pvp and don't even know they can negate most or all of your efforts
  • osadamaskosadamask Member Posts: 137 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    seedyr0m wrote: »
    Thanks for the input but what exactly is this "stealth dagger build" you speak of?

Clouds of Steel, Bait and Switch, Shadow Strike, then I like Impact shot in there as well. Basically you stay stealthed as often as possible and kill from a range, with enchants its massively OP. I would rather see the defensive enchants buffed and bit and the offensive enchants toned down 15-25%.
  • tekkwintertekkwinter Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    As a DC...about 9990 GS...play alot of PvP on most every mmo...PvP sucks as a DC now.

Yes...Astral Shield was whacked before with the stacking and all. But now...honestly after trying 6-7 matches today after the patch Im not sure how much I will do it past maybe the daily. I just feel completely useless now. As the other DC said above..now it seems like I can throw AS down..maybe do Sun Burst for a bit more heal...then after AS drops...die to Rogue or Wizard in 3 seconds.

I have about 24k health. Might as well be 5k the way it seems. Not sure what the fix is...but Ive never played a healer in PvP on a MMO that feels as helpless as we are right now. On top of that we get screwed on glory as well now as healers get no credit for heals...everyone else gets top of the boards for spot hopping and kills.
    Tekkor | Adventurer & Brewmaster
    Tekk's Tavern |
    http://www.youtube.com/user/TekkorGJC
  • killz2manykillz2many Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 146 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    This only applies when you have terrible CW's and Clerics in your party.

CW still have the ability to dodge 4 attacks with ease, meaning no matter what you throw at them they can dodge it. They can also still keep you at bay if they''re a good CW.

The reason clerics seem so bad right now is because CW and DC are so used to being OP and being on easy mode that they are just getting destroyed. Honestly I still feel OP with my CW, though without good timing for dodges and a good rotation to stay alive, I guess I wouldn't feel so powerful.
    Killz2Many ~ Greatest Weapon Fighter ~ Dragon Shard
    game-of-thrones-dani-burn-deal-with-it.gif
  • wholyhandgrenadewholyhandgrenade Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    My clerics can't heal at all. MS heals for less than a quarter of a bar an I've used healing word on divinity three times in a row and still was no where close to being healed. I can't kill anything other than with a daily and I can't defend, still get constantly stunned and unable to use anything. My divinity regeneration has dropped in half. My damage sucks. I can't express enough how $^$^%$&^ up this game has made the cleric.
  • seedyr0mseedyr0m Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    osadamask wrote: »
    Clouds of Steel, Bait and Switch, Shadow Strike, then I like Impact shot in there as well. Basically you stay stealthed as often as possible and kill from a range, with enchants its massively OP. I would rather see the defensive enchants buffed and bit and the offensive enchants toned down 15-25%.

Interesting, that explains what I've seen done to me a few times.
  • chipsterchipster Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 128 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    My clerics can't heal at all. MS heals for less than a quarter of a bar an I've used healing word on divinity three times in a row and still was no where close to being healed. I can't kill anything other than with a daily and I can't defend, still get constantly stunned and unable to use anything. My divinity regeneration has dropped in half. My damage sucks. I can't express enough how $^$^%$&^ up this game has made the cleric.

Are cleric meant to be a war machine that kill everything or a supporter role for the other class? Pls get your head right.
  • abandinusabandinus Member Posts: 62
    edited June 2013
    killz2many wrote: »

CW still have the ability to dodge 4 attacks with ease, meaning no matter what you throw at them they can dodge it. They can also still keep you at bay if they''re a good CW.

The reason clerics seem so bad right now is because CW and DC are so used to being OP and being on easy mode that they are just getting destroyed. Honestly I still feel OP with my CW, though without good timing for dodges and a good rotation to stay alive, I guess I wouldn't feel so powerful.

4 dodges? Ok. GWF is immune to CC good luck "keeping them off you" lol
  • wholyhandgrenadewholyhandgrenade Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    chipster wrote: »
    Are cleric meant to be a war machine that kill everything or a supporter role for the other class? Pls get your head right.

they should be meant to win during long fights that they can draw out and slowly heal through... there heals suck and defense is a joke .... if they ever come out with a paladin, then that is a class that should kick and buff all around them but heal less effectively
  • bellringer01bellringer01 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Dodge is no longer a working defense, for me at least.
    50% of the time dodge animation goes off and character doesnt move an inch, stunlock, dead :(

Cheers
  • errantvolleyerrantvolley Member Posts: 46 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    The patch has introduces a lot of skill lag so dodge/teleport is no longer reliable for me, either. Healing, stealth, damage, control and control-immunity are all key elements. No one class should excel at more than one of these. The patch didn't fix this it just moved around which classes have what

TR
    Stealth (including the big no-no of combat stealth)
    Damage - the highest sustained and burst
    Control - significant ability to disable
    CC Immune - impossible to catch

GWF
    Damage - much higher than before
    CC - can keep a singly opponent mostly stun locked
    CC-Immune
    Healing - effective self healing phantom hitpoint skill
    Other -

GF
    CC immune
    CC can stun lock (with high damage - stupidly broken needs triple the CD)
    Damage - able to three shot many classes while keeping them stun locked
    Other - best damage mitigation

CW
    CC - good amount of CC
    Damage - RoE nerfed to uselessness and 20m damage boost gone
    Other - easiest to kill class because no damage mitigation or healing

Cleric
    Heal
    Damage - a daily that can one-shot (thats about it)
    CC - some ability to control
  • thejadeemperorthejadeemperor Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    killz2many wrote: »

4 dodges are much better than 2 or 3 dodges in a 1 vs 1 match but 1 more dodge is not as big an advantage in a 5 vs 5 battle. Imagine 2 warriors keep knocking your CW around or 1 warrior knocks him down and a CW keeps chill freezing him... Their is not much chance.

Since CW is no longer the dps they used to be now maybe they should get their anti-cc and defense beefed up a little, say :shield" should give them cc-resistant and better defense?
  • iamthepiemaniamthepieman Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    As a cleric pre-patch I was playing PvP with 9.2k GS (stacking recovery, crit and Maximum hitpoints with some movement enchants in utility slots) I was squishy and very rarely able to actually kill someone 1v1 but I could at least escape back to my team mates or long enough for a heal or CC to come off cooldown.

I now have a GS of 11.2k and I can't survive against, TR, GF or GWF. The only classes I have a chance against are a CW or another cleric.

My CC is useless against GF or GWF and many times against a TR. I get stun-locked and two or three shotted.

once I'm down to 10-15% health I don't even bother. My heals won't get me up nearly fast enough, even with Astral shield and Forgemasters Flame ticking.

The only time I'm able to stay alive in a group fight is:
    a. the other team is distracted and hasn't noticed me yet
    b. I have Hallowed Ground (feated to heal) and Astral Shield ticking. As soon as those go down I'm dead.

I've adapted by being mounted (on my horse not by another freakin' GF :eek:) and just running to cap points in order to keep pressure of my team mates. I just run to a point, keep a lookout for enemy players and high tail it as soon as they start coming. It's effective but hardly how I imagined I'd be playing a cleric in PvP