test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

To My Guardian Fighter Bros

nymesis92nymesis92 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 270 Bounty Hunter
edited June 2013 in The Militia Barracks
Hey bros are you guys ready for this patch? Cleric here, I sure am ready for you bros to be able to tank stuff :-) :-)

I'm gonna be sooo happpppppy.

<3 your friendly cleric.
Post edited by nymesis92 on

Comments

• zakarayzakaray Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Any gf that can't already taunt the trash and mini bosses aren't doing it right.
  • superhumanseamansuperhumanseaman Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    zakaray wrote: »
    Any gf that can't already taunt the trash and mini bosses aren't doing it right.

You obviously dont play a GF.... Making a comment like that is so ignorant I bet you're a TR player who thinks that TR need buffs lol
  • c45hcr0pc45hcr0p Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 45
    edited June 2013
    zakaray wrote: »

Being able to taunt the trash and mini-bosses isn't difficult. What is difficult is finding a reason for a GF to do these things, when Cleric's Astral Shield coupled with healing threat made "try-hard" GFs obsolete.

To answer the OP's question, yup, I'm very ready to have the juggernaut-tanking style be viable.
    cylisbrex wrote: »
    ...I love the rectal based combat...

Reticle not rectal. :)
  • dkcandydkcandy Member Posts: 1,555 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    c45hcr0p wrote: »
    What is difficult is finding a reason for a GF to do these things, when Cleric's Astral Shield coupled with healing threat made "try-hard" GFs obsolete.

Your ignorance is showing.

Clerics can't stand and tank 20+ mobs beating on them even in their AS. This is why they kite the mobs around, while a GF can stand in a AS and mitigate the damage "TANK". While the rest of the team burns the trash down.

Boss fights - The GF can ether focus on trash or boss.

I'm a high DPS GF and so I stay on the boss and hold aggro so the TR can focus on DPS. This means much faster boss kills and more runs per DD.
  • lltsnwnlltsnwn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 787 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    nymesis92 wrote: »
    Hey bros are you guys ready for this patch? Cleric here, I sure am ready for you bros to be able to tank stuff :-) :-)

I'm gonna be sooo happpppppy.

<3 your friendly cleric.

I sure hope that GF will be able to adjust from a DPS mindset to a Tank defense mindset... Most GFs I've run with seemed to think that they were a boss tank and ignored the 50 adds eating my cleric alive.
    12.jpgRanger.jpg
  • dkcandydkcandy Member Posts: 1,555 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    lltsnwn - We are a boss tank depending on your group.

Some encounters we'll be on trash and others on the boss. Just depends on how your team is handling the boss/trash.
  • c45hcr0pc45hcr0p Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 45
    edited June 2013
    dkcandy wrote: »
    Your ignorance is showing.

Clerics can't stand and tank 20+ mobs beating on them even in their AS. This is why they kite the mobs around, while a GF can stand in a AS and mitigate the damage "TANK". While the rest of the team burns the trash down.

Boss fights - The GF can ether focus on trash or boss.

I'm a high DPS GF and so I stay on the boss and hold aggro so the TR can focus on DPS. This means much faster boss kills and more runs per DD.

Look up unspecifiederror's Cleric tank build. I find it funny that you're calling me ignorant when you think, in the current build of the game, that a GF sitting in a Cleric's Astral Shield makes a better TANK than a "tanky" Cleric sitting inside his and the "healer" Cleric's stacked Astral Shields.

With the changes in the upcoming patch, your version of how including a GF is a better decision than what I've outlined will make sense.

Currently it doesn't. If you wish to keep preaching about how GF is the best 4th or 5th slot-filler in a group (in the current build), be my guest. However, to call someone ignorant for stating the truth about how the vast majority of NW's community views the usefulness of GFs is ignorant, in and of itself.
    cylisbrex wrote: »
    ...I love the rectal based combat...

Reticle not rectal. :)
  • ayrouxayroux Member Posts: 4,271 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    The issue isnt that we cant tank, I have found it not hard to tank mobs or a boss, but the question is WHY would you want a tank? I have done every zone and have to say you dont really need a designated "tank" for anything. You can put a rogue on the boss and have the GF do AoE damage to mobs, but why would you do that when you can have 1 CW perma CC them while the DC kites? This opens the group up for 3 DPS on the boss for many fights.

It all just comes down to what is needed for each fight. I will guarantee that most fights, you dont need a tank but now the tank will easily get agro without even trying...

A TON of GFs are specced for damage because there is NO reason not to be. I have a feeling that more GFs will start picking up more "tanky" stats to counter the fact that they will be getting hit more and having agro more.

But as for "tanking" it doesnt exist in this game... Not yet anyways... Youll know when it does because Cryptic will make each dungeon REQUIRE a tank and youll start seeing "LF GF/DC for XXXX run" in zone chat Instead of these 2DC/2CW/1TR set ups.

The patch WILL fix some of this, but still a GF is not REQUIRED. double TR groups wont work and double DC groups wont work as well as before, but thats about it...
  • m3atba9m3atba9 Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    lltsnwn wrote: »
    ...ignored the 50 adds eating my cleric alive.

Maybe... just maybe this will be the GWF job now... then again maybe not...
  • whiteshadow02whiteshadow02 Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    lltsnwn wrote: »
    I sure hope that GF will be able to adjust from a DPS mindset to a Tank defense mindset... Most GFs I've run with seemed to think that they were a boss tank and ignored the 50 adds eating my cleric alive.

Small note for any GF thinking going defensive is smart, its truely not, sure you can go down the protector line, but stacking defense is plain silly if you're in t1 armor, stalwart for example, with its set bonuses you'll reach 3.2k-3.3k defense, this is absolutely fine for any game content, anything higher is when you start to get diminishing returns. It'll take between 200-350 defense points to gain 0.1% protection increase which genuinely is pointless, which is why so many GF's are in the dps mindset simply because defense scales so poorly after.
  • etherealjetherealj Member Posts: 1,091 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    It's easy to hold boss agro. It is absolutely night and day compared to add and trash pulls.
    Use the <removed exploit lead-in> to interact with the auction vendor.
    edited June 2013
    Small note for any GF thinking going defensive is smart, its truely not, sure you can go down the protector line, but stacking defense is plain silly if you're in t1 armor, stalwart for example, with its set bonuses you'll reach 3.2k-3.3k defense, this is absolutely fine for any game content, anything higher is when you start to get diminishing returns. It'll take between 200-350 defense points to gain 0.1% protection increase which genuinely is pointless, which is why so many GF's are in the dps mindset simply because defense scales so poorly after.

This.

Agro with Conq will be much better then Prot/Tact AND neither of those specs take that much less damage. Defense hits heavy DR very very fast. You can't even really gear for it.
    edited June 2013
    Currently im in full t1 stalwart armor with rank 8 enchants in all but my rings and neck, which are weak rank 5 radiants for power, working on them currently but im at 44% damage reduction, you can easily reach the same with the token armor or random pieces from instances. What this patch does for GF is simply make dps GF godmode afk easy sleep blahblah mode for agro :D
  • nephewtrillanephewtrilla Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    ! support i just dinged a full 60 pvp gear trickster now im thinking of rolling a GF seeing as they're actually useful now. =D
    edited June 2013
    They were always useful, it was just a matter of optimising for maximum dps, for example the past couple of days iv been running CN and usually ending up nearly if not out dpsing the rogue on draco, granted it was a pug so i cant expect them to have bis gear however the point is, a dps spec GF can fit into any role even before the patch.
    edited June 2013
    Currently im in full t1 stalwart armor with rank 8 enchants in all but my rings and neck, which are weak rank 5 radiants for power, working on them currently but im at 44% damage reduction, you can easily reach the same with the token armor or random pieces from instances. What this patch does for GF is simply make dps GF godmode afk easy sleep blahblah mode for agro :D

4pc timeless +shield with no other gear and no enchants is something like 41% damage reduction.

Regen and lifesteal need to be looked at because Defense stacking is horribly inefficient. Deflect is alright but regen and lifesteal on gear is just wasting room on items at the moment.
  • tarmalentarmalen Member Posts: 1,020 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    etherealj wrote: »
    4pc timeless +shield with no other gear and no enchants is something like 41% damage reduction.

Regen and lifesteal need to be looked at because Defense stacking is horribly inefficient. Deflect is alright but regen and lifesteal on gear is just wasting room on items at the moment.

I play a GWF so forgive me if I miss your point.

I have 5% regen and roughly 5% life steal. I constantly have green splash on my screen and it makes a huge difference in survivability and threat generation. Why would you not want that?
    edited June 2013
    tarmalen wrote: »

I have 5% regen and roughly 5% life steal. I constantly have green splash on my screen and it makes a huge difference in survivability and threat generation. Why would you not want that?

We have a block feature and a daily which is very easy to generate with using the said block feature + Knight's Valor now that its fixed which usually either fills the ap meter to full or 3/4. Now for the daily, with high enough dps we can go from 10% to max hp in one combo with the feat points etc invested into Fighters recovery.
    edited June 2013
    tarmalen wrote: »

5%/5% is a lot of stat points. I'd have to make a lot of weird gear choices to hit that on a GF without dumping a lot of dps.

How do you quantify the threat gain for you?

I have a daily that if I use it in conjunction with my aoe taunt will heal me for ~30k. It doesn't make a noticeable difference in agro if I use the daily or not.
    edited June 2013
    Yep I can see why you don't need either one. O.o
    edited June 2013
    etherealj wrote: »
    5%/5% is a lot of stat points. I'd have to make a lot of weird gear choices to hit that on a GF without dumping a lot of dps.

How do you quantify the threat gain for you?

I have a daily that if I use it in conjunction with my aoe taunt will heal me for ~30k. It doesn't make a noticeable difference in agro if I use the daily or not.

It was easier to tell the threat build at lower levels. Almost non existent at higher levels.

2 piece scrappers/bladestorm gives me plenty of both before even looking at the right side of my character sheet or before enchantments.