test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Learned Spellcaster : is it worth it?

deepscythedeepscythe Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
edited June 2013 in The Library
I wanted to respec but just not sure if i should take Learned Spellcaster this time since as per one of the topics here that skill has been fixed. Does anyone have like a breakdown on how much damage it gives when 5/5?
Post edited by deepscythe on

Comments

• Options
    lemandallemandal Member Posts: 61
    edited May 2013
    It will increase your damage by 5%, nothing less nothing more. Well maybe a bit more since it means more action points too but that will be hard to translate in numbers !
    If it is worth it depends if you want the feat to increase "Area effect spells" which are : tabbed chill strike, shield and steal time (ice storm too I think). Those are awesome spells but not your only source of damage so... tough choice.
  • Options
    deepscythedeepscythe Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Thanks for the explanation. I think its pretty meh' considering the 5 points you have to put to max it.
  • Options
    wingedkagoutiwingedkagouti Member Posts: 275 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    deepscythe wrote: »
    Thanks for the explanation. I think its pretty meh' considering the 5 points you have to put to max it.
    Considering the overall power of individual feats, it's actually fairly strong for the investment. The other damage increasing feats are limited in what they affect or when they work, one that always works is of course not going to be as strong as those when they're active.

Consider the +2/4/6% damage for Cold/Arcane feats. You either limit your power selection, have some powers not get bonus damage or spend 2/4/6 points to get that bonus for all your powers (which is equivalent to Learned Spellcaster's 1 point = +1%). The AoE feats currently only affect 4 powers, so you'll have a limited amount of powers get a boost.

+HP, -Threat, and Stamina on dodge are all only useful to fairly specific builds.

Prestidigitation is currently the only real competitor to Learned Spellcaster, and that's a choice between personal damage and team performance.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Is Prestidigitation that good ? I tried to do the maths but exact diminishing returns and stats effects on other classes make it kinda hard. I tried with values I have :
    At 2268 recovery, +1% = +20 = +0.1%
    At 2640 critical strike, +1% = +19 = +0.1%
    +1% Power gives next to nothing but other classes seem to work differently
    It's low but applies on 3 or 4 useful stats and 5 people... it competes well with +1% damage I must agree.

These are low stats though, how does it fare at higher values, with hard and soft caps ?
  • Options
    violated87violated87 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Learned Spellcaster is simply a +1% damage boost per point, despite how the tooltip reads. As a non-human race I'd recommend putting 2 points into it, and the other 3 into Focused Wizardry. Humans can max both.

Focused Wizardry currently affects tab Chill Strike, Shield Pulse, and Steal Time and gives a 3% damage boost to those spells per point. Thus, as long as at least 1/3 of my total damage is originating from those spells, it is a DPS increase to take that feat of Learned Spellcaster. I have parsed a lot of my dungeon runs, and I typically observed tab Chill Strike accounting for roughly 25% of my damage when used during a full run, Shield Pulse anywhere from 15% to as much as 61% depending on the dungeon and strategies used, and Steal Time anywhere from 13% to 23%.

Prestidigitation can be good if not for the steep diminishing returns that are easily reached by all classes. 1% to ratings equates to +100 stats for a 10k GS player. As an individual, this is still pretty bad even ignoring the DR, but it also affects your party members which increases the value to around +500 stats per point per group. Unfortunately, DRs greatly reduce the value of all stats except power which hurts this feats value. As GSs keep increasing and/or in groups that are stacking power this is probably the best feat available.
  • Options
    ramiauramiau Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Are you sure this feat is a flat 5% damage increase (like a +5 int for that purpouse only) despite the misleading tooltip? Don't want to seem "harsh", but how do you got to that conclusion? Im very interested to know , thanks you
  • Options
    copticonecopticone Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    lemandal wrote: »
    It will increase your damage by 5%, nothing less nothing more. Well maybe a bit more since it means more action points too but that will be hard to translate in numbers !

Do you have proof of this? Did you actually test it and saw a flat 5% damage increase? Because since the start of Beta, people have been saying that it adds 5% of your current Bonus, not a flat 5% on top of it.
    Check out my personal Nerf Proof T2 Thaumaturge Build.
  • Options
    simkinsimkin Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Still waiting on someone to test this out today. Any luck?
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    I put 5/5 in learned spellcaster, tooltip damage actually increased by 5.8% = ~1.16% / point
    I have 26 int (+16%) so I guess it is multiplicative with int
  • Options
    ramiauramiau Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    That clarifyies it, and makes this feat very worthwhile. Thanks for cheking it lemandal , bump for this thread that can be of quite interest to many ppl.