test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Gruumsh Rising

mournthedawnmournthedawn Member Posts: 3 Arc User
edited June 2013 in PvE Discussion
Last of the racial quests for half-orcs. Level 59. Starts with the half-orc fighter standing to the right of the companion shop in Protectors Enclave. He directs you to the sewers nearby.

<Spoilers follow>

The sewers. Filled with orcs. Okay. No campfire. Odd. Very few instanced quests have no campfire at the start. I guess this is one of them. No heals.

A moderately large number of on-level orcs and such. No problem. Beat them down. Not much of an issue. The final encounter comes.

Four elite combatants: 2 dervish-style aoe cleaver orcs (high aoe damage), an orcish priest (aoe KD and stun), and a half-orc rogue (high single target damage). Each of them a bit of a challenge on their own (requiring 10-12 solid hits to kill). Obviously, they have to be separated. The problem is, they cannot be. They move as a unit, the priest aoe knockdown stunning, the aoe cleavers shredding you while you're down, and the rogue-type just adding insult to injury.

Up to this quest in the game, I have been killed in dungeons and questing 5-6 times total during my level-up process. I have doubled that count attempting this quest. I have kited the throng back through the sewers away from the encounter area, trying to take them at corners, archway choke points; anything. They cannot be separated. I focus all my attacks on the priest. His aoe knockdown - if it occurs - signals the end (one knock prone and the attacks from the others do ~30k damage before you can get up). If you stand still for longer than 1/2 a second, 1 or more of the throng starts an aoe of some kind.

As a guardian, I am about as mobile as a hillside. If I see an aoe coming, I must block. As you might guess, against 4 high damage aoe combatants, my block meter goes down fast. In fact, in less than 6-8 seconds, I have none. At this point, all attacks hit.

Basically, what it comes down to is too much damage coming to me and not enough going to them. A clear recipe for defeat. I have tried different dailies, different encounters, knockdowns, etc. The only thing I can think of to tackle this challenge is: 1) come back when I am level 60 and geared to the teeth with end-game equipment, or 2) try to find an ally to do the quest with me. Is it even possible to bring someone not of the proper race on a racial quest, or do I need to find a specific ally (another half-orc)?

Has anyone else had success with this quest? If so, any insight would be helpful.

Thanks.
Post edited by mournthedawn on

Comments

• Options
    dardovedardove Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I was a rogue and did a lot of running away and stealthing, but I managed to beat them all, saving the boss for last.

And you can bring someone into the quest to help you. You just won't be able to share the quest with them so have them follow you to the entrance once they join party. If you are on Dragon server, I wouldn't mind helping if I'm not doing anything else.
  • Options
    atompenguinatompenguin Member Posts: 93 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Did it as a cleric. It was rough, but it should be. I did a lot of kiting, a lot of solar bursting to kb and separate enemies. Knocking them into the pits gave some breathing room since they had to run back up. Mobility was super freaking important.

It was an awesome quest and quite fitting given the quest chain.
    -Campaign: Spells and Coin
    --Part 1: Spells and Coin (NW-DHM3XQVQK)
    --Part 2: A Blind Eye (NW-DI3QTHZGJ)
    --Part 3: Dodo's Dinner (NW-DHPA8O253)

-One Shots
    --The Wizard of Eldeur (NW-DRKQNE4S7)
  • Options
    akostisakostis Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 56
    edited June 2013
    I killed them with my GWF at 60 in pvp gears. You are right that they are hard as hell though.

Unstoppable saved me along with Slam and WMS they dropped fairly fast. Not saying it was easy at all still had to move alot and burn pots..lol

Regards
  • Options
    mournthedawnmournthedawn Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Thank you all for your suggestions. atompenguin's point was key. As I observed initially, victory can be achieved only after you separate the enemies. The platform where the foes are encountered is high over a water-filled pit. The only way back up to the platform is via some ramps at the corners and then across bridges. Knocking them off is the trick. Even if only one foe is removed this way, the fight becomes manageable.

Once again, thank you all for your insights. I salute you.