test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Ability Stat Rolls

veruganverugan Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 100
edited June 2013 in The Temple
I'm not really a min/max person per se, but I've been obsessing over stat rolls since respecs don't allow you to change your initial rolls. I want to reroll b/c I dumped everything into Wis which I'm discovering is not great. I've come up with the following two examples that will end up as 20/20/20/11/11/9 (Wis/Cha/Str/Int/Con/Dex) at level 60.

I should mention this is for Human, or at least that's what all my research is based on.

Start with either 16/16/12/10/10/10 or 16/15/13/11/11/9, add the Human +2 to Str.

Just put points in evenly to Wis/Cha/Str until at 60 you get 20/20/20 (this includes the two +1 to all)

My question, is this good to do for just an overall character? I really just want to PvE heal, but in the future if I respec to a different Paragon tree I thought it'd be good to be well rounded. I'm not trying to min/max damage, healing, etc... rather trying to have some flexibility.

Like I said, if I can just get past this hump I'd feel more comfortable playing to have fun!
Post edited by verugan on

Comments

• dartakxdartakx Member Posts: 201 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Everyone could make a good argument about stats allocation, there's no "perfect" or "way-to-go" stats allocations, you just need to know how you build your character, currently the crit build is very popular, hence why people aim for max strenght to have more crit, because there's a cap from stats while the strength give crit above it. But charisma is valuable too, because it's the stats that give recovery and lower your cooldown, it's generally accepted that healing more often is better than healing more in this game.

I think 18 or 20 in wisdom is a good thing, boosting both damage and healing, since it's the primary stats even tho it's lackluster a bit, i wouldnt dump it, because they might change it, because game is technically in beta. On that subject, many change will happens to cleric in the next patch June 20th. One of the major change is the duration of astral shield (pretty much the bread and butter of all cleric), since the ability was is in my opinion too strong and thus allowing cleric to be able to build around other mechanic like divinity building from crit, the importance of strength might change and maybe people might start to favor Charisma. It's too early and the class is not in his final form to be able to clearly give you an answer.

I know i don't answer your question, i'm just giving you facts. But IMHO, there's no wrong way to assign your stats, if you focus on strength you take the feat and power that benefits from crit, if you choose charisma, the ones that benefit from lower cooldown. Th only suggestion i have, is beside having a good wisdom score, if you want a dps build, you are better with strength then charisma or wisdom, if you want to heal, strength or charisma with a good wisdom will be good. Of course by getting 20 everywhere, you really give yourself a jack of all trade stats allocation, and you won't feel disadvantage vs more specialized allocation.

My cleric is 60, i chose to split my stats only on wis/cha, and the way he's build i can perfectly do all the content in the game and i don't feel less useful, less powerful or regret this choice, i just adapted my gamestyle and feat selection around those stats.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • daervondaervon Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Sorry, but... huh?

If you're not trying to min/max, then you'll have a perfectly capable and flexible character even if you went 20/13/13/10/10/8 with your stats since, at 60, that can end up as 22/19/19/12/12/10, if you simply put all points into the secondary stats as you level. Through your gear alone you'll be able to reach the DR for crit and recovery with those stats, and the only thing that you *might* lose out on is Power -- in the magnitude of, oh, effectively 10 points of healing/damage MAYBE.

Seriously, if you really are not a min/maxer then just make your character any way you want it, and have fun with it. You can be a one-eyed half-orc and still be a fully effective cleric.
    edited June 2013
    daervon wrote: »
    Seriously, if you really are not a min/maxer then just make your character any way you want it, and have fun with it. You can be a one-eyed half-orc and still be a fully effective cleric.

That's the better answer +1 :P while it might be more convenient 3 more feat points from human, but confusing the opponent in pvp by playing an half-orc cleric is probly close second :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • veruganverugan Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 100
    edited June 2013
    Thanks guys I see what you're saying. The numbers in my original post are messed up b/c like I said I'm not a huge min/max and I'm not intimate with this roll system. I just need to stop being all ocd about it.

I think I'm going to start with the base roll of 16/15/13/11/11/9 and put the human +2 into Str. I think this allows me the most flexibility if I ever decide to respec or change paragon paths. Like you mentioned, with that roll I can mix and match the stats to just about anything I desire, including 20/20/20 or 22/19/19 or really any combination at all.

It just seems weird to me putting racial bonus into Str for a healer. I'm just going to ignore that logic.
    edited June 2013
    16-16-12-10-10-10 or 18-13-13-10-10-8 might be better in my opinion, since you will have more points in your secondary+primary but your call really, you'll have plenty of space later at 60 to patch up what you are missing from stats while saving time patching with what you already invested in stats points.

Min/max is good sometimes, but we talk about 1-2% here, 1-2 % here, at the end, what matters is the player in front of the screen, stats won't make it better at his class like other game.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2013
    verugan wrote: »
    It just seems weird to me putting racial bonus into Str for a healer. I'm just going to ignore that logic.

The logic is, a crit build requires crit, strenght give you the crit needed to make your character more effective by having a good base amount of crit out of the gear, since it will be vital to make good use of the build to have the higher amount of crit the more quickly.

But if you think about it after, no stats are absolutely needed from stats rolls. Since some ignored charisma and wisdom partially for more strenght (a secondary) and they are still viable, even very effective, at healing up to Castle Never. See stats rolls like a nice candy when you'll start to work on your gear, you already start your career with a bonus you can choose. But since the more you'll get gear you'll aim to be close or even capped in 2-3 stats rating. You pretty much decide the one you'll want faster and enjoy while levelling.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • veruganverugan Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 100
    edited June 2013
    I meant it in the more literal sense, like hurling spells takes more body strength. Well now that I think about it, it might, but how much can a lance made of light weigh?
  • lltsnwnlltsnwn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 787 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Is there any way (Zen, Astral Diamonds, etc) to change your initial Ability Score point die rolls selections?
    12.jpgRanger.jpg
  • dravkwndravkwn Member Posts: 88
    edited June 2013
    Need more stat rolls or choices for all types. Definately