test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Dungeon Running Etiquette

krahctkrahct Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
edited June 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
So, I'm not a pro or anything like that but I've done alot of MMO gaming and a few things I've learned in running dungeons and raiding I'll share below. These are things I think if more people followed would make the gaming experience much more enjoyable for all. Feel free to add your own thoughts. I'm hoping this list will grow with some nice suggestions.

1) Be Courteous

2) Help each other out:
let other players know "hey there's a chest over here"
Tear the adds off the healer, when possible
If you're a pure dps class, bring pots for healing to help out your healer

3) I'd say know the fights, but some players enjoy the unexpected aspect of it

4) Know your class, it is so much more fun to play with players that know when to use an ability that can turn the tide of a fight

5) Let the tank...well tank....
And no that doesn't include DCs
or TRs...lol
Threat is problematic right now in game, give the tank some time to get threat
If you are playing a tank, TURN THE MOBS/BOSSES away from the raid and party
If you're playing DPS get behind the mobs/bosses, helps your hit chance as well as your healers

6) Tanks, usually lead the flow of the progression through the dungeon
Tanks, make sure your group is ready, that everyone is present and prepared to move into the next encounter

7) Leave your ego at the dungeon door
Yep, you TRs can solo reduce most mobs down to zero in flash, however it's annoying when a tank is already heading onto a different set of mobs or onto a boss and some ego driven player decides Oh hey I'm gonna pull this set of mobs instead

8) Don't run off and start looting chests or exploring legs of the dungeon when there is still an encounter ongoing, be a part of the team...dungeon running is a team event, not solo...last I checked

9) Thank each other, especially your tanks and healers, it may not be as readily apparent in this game...just yet, but without them you'd die a lot. And, they do have a greater level of responsibility in a dungeon that just dpsing

10) Slow down, have fun, and enjoy it, Dungeons should be crawled not sprinted for the finish.

Anywho, just a few of my thoughts.

Anyone else?
"I never make mistakes, I once thought I did but I was wrong"
Post edited by krahct on

Comments

• satorusenpaisatorusenpai Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 167 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    krahct wrote: »

9) Thank each other, especially your tanks and healers, it may not be as readily apparent in this game...just yet, but without them you'd die a lot. And, they do have a greater level of responsibility in a dungeon that just dpsing
    If only that happened more.
  • f3ral0nef3ral0ne Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 74
    edited June 2013
    I am soooooo glad I have a guild group to run with every night. Normal people don't need to be taught etiquette. But I swear these wow generations MMO players are the worst when it comes to these kinda games. Remember when older games just had a "Play Nice Policy" that for the most part people followed with out threat of suspensions? If they didn't follow the rules they were shunned from the community often times forcing the "infection" to either leave, or rename their toon.
  • rangurenranguren Member Posts: 4
    edited June 2013
    I'm a DC, some cases I do the tank though :D
    I'm using all out reduce damage combo, not much healing just bet entire skill to reducing damage, so far it still usefull
  • seneca671seneca671 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Really nice list. I have a DC (yeah, only 17th) who does nothing but run the Cloak Tower every few days, and one thing I wish people would do more is let people have time to look around/find that chest. Every PUG run I do, the head fighter is running from fight to fight, with no time for anything. I recognize the need to keep things moving, but what about pausing, just to keep the group together, give stragglers 15 seconds to catch up, before moving forward?

It really makes me want to join a guild, my schedule just makes that really hard.
  • allaerraallaerra Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 838 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    So,
    8) Don't run off and start looting chests or exploring legs of the dungeon when there is still an encounter ongoing, be a part of the team...dungeon running is a team event, not solo...last I checked

10) Slow down, have fun, and enjoy it, Dungeons should be crawled not sprinted for the finish.

See #8 would make sense if your team wasn't rushing ahead skipping everything. I am not going to rush ahead and skip the chests. Finding the hidden chests is part of the fun. If they want to go ahead, well I will do my best to catch up after I get the chest:D.

#10 would be awesome. I wish people would practice this.
  • krahctkrahct Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    allaerra wrote: »
    See #8 would make sense if your team wasn't rushing ahead skipping everything. I am not going to rush ahead and skip the chests. Finding the hidden chests is part of the fun. If they want to go ahead, well I will do my best to catch up after I get the chest:D.

#10 would be awesome. I wish people would practice this.

Allaerra I agree, it would be nice if folks slowed down a bit and let each other explore the dungeon...together.

I am not holding my breath for the entire community to embrace these simple suggestions, but maybe a few will read it and slowly there might be a change in just one or two players as they consider some of these things while running dungeons.

Thanks for commenting :)
  • joshrandhalljoshrandhall Member Posts: 72 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    +1 this thread - thanks.

It's not hard and yeah, there are some that need a swift kick in the butt - IMO it's better if the community does it, rather than ask for a mechanic to accomplish.

#4 - you do this by grouping and knowing what other classes are capable of - soloing helps to a point, but you have to group to be a good group member.
  • krahctkrahct Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Shameless bump
  • paneth48paneth48 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 36
    edited June 2013
    11. Do not ninja stuff that your class can not use. Too bad that one is not followed.
  • rangurenranguren Member Posts: 4
    edited June 2013
    for those who play MMO as "community dweller" those set or etiquette is happening. for those who play MMO as "just a game", well, everything always ended up backwards
  • onehappygnadeonehappygnade Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    To bad people don't really follow these sometimes.
  • pilf3rpilf3r Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I would add in "communication is key" as this seem to be the single biggest problem.

Many pugs are nice and try to be helpful but no one seems able to say we will proceed this way or we will try it out this way etc. This should be up to the person that has the crown, if someone else in the party has more experience and feels he can lead the party to success he should say so. I am sure that in most pugs the person that randomly received the lead would be happy to pass to crown on to someone else.

Also keep in mind in pugs you are not use to fighting with each other so it will happen that you go to use a daily or power and poof the mob gets knocked away from you and it is wasted. It's no biggy if everyone tries to adapt to how the others are playing their character just don't get upset about it.

Formulate a strategy at bosses and make sure everyone knows what role they will be doing and leave everyone time to swap to the proper powers that will allow them to do so.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Neverwinter Thieves Guild
  • momobimomobi Member Posts: 40
    edited June 2013
    So, I'm not a pro or anything like that but I've done alot of MMO gaming and a few things I've learned in running dungeons and raiding I'll share below. These are things I think if more people followed would make the gaming experience much more enjoyable for all. Feel free to add your own thoughts. I'm hoping this list will grow with some nice suggestions.

1) Be Courteous

2) Help each other out:
    let other players know "hey there's a chest over here"
    Tear the adds off the healer, when possible
    If you're a pure dps class, bring pots for healing to help out your healer

3) I'd say know the fights, but some players enjoy the unexpected aspect of it

4) Know your class, it is so much more fun to play with players that know when to use an ability that can turn the tide of a fight

5) Let the tank...well tank....
    And no that doesn't include DCs
    or TRs...lol
    Threat is problematic right now in game, give the tank some time to get threat
    If you are playing a tank, TURN THE MOBS/BOSSES away from the raid and party
    If you're playing DPS get behind the mobs/bosses, helps your hit chance as well as your healers

6) Tanks, usually lead the flow of the progression through the dungeon
    Tanks, make sure your group is ready, that everyone is present and prepared to move into the next encounter

7) Leave your ego at the dungeon door
    Yep, you TRs can solo reduce most mobs down to zero in flash, however it's annoying when a tank is already heading onto a different set of mobs or onto a boss and some ego driven player decides Oh hey I'm gonna pull this set of mobs instead

Anywho, just a few of my thoughts.

Anyone else?

Liked and 110% support as it is needed in this community.

I am not a fan of dungeon and skirmish running because of all the negative side of things... I play with my wife and she is a DC and been abused a few times over her own death saying is her fault that caused us got wipe. but in fact we all are at fault busy minding their own butt and relying on her heals and buff which causes aggros overwhelm on her.

I myself is a GF and I can't help her much as I can't pull and kill quick enough...(you know the stories) I did my part holding the boss and been abused for not helping to clear adds...

A really hate those who left the group after the first attempt and blame everyone for the wipe.
  • pilf3rpilf3r Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    momobi wrote: »
    Liked and 110% support as it is needed in this community.

I am not a fan of dungeon and skirmish running because of all the negative side of things... I play with my wife and she is a DC and been abused a few times over her own death saying is her fault that caused us got wipe. but in fact we all are at fault busy minding their own butt and relying on her heals and buff which causes aggros overwhelm on her.

I myself is a GF and I can't help her much as I can't pull and kill quick enough...(you know the stories) I did my part holding the boss and been abused for not helping to clear adds...

A really hate those who left the group after the first attempt and blame everyone for the wipe.

Aye I play a GF and my wife DC too and know what you mean, or I hear, " GF why do you use mark and take add aggro blabla".
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Neverwinter Thieves Guild
  • ross123321ross123321 Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    LFM CW/TR/DC SUPER FAST RUN 12K+ GS ONLY!!! PRO PRO PRO RUN SKIP SHORTCUT EXPLOIT... I don't even login anymore, game is a joke...
  • rustedheartzrustedheartz Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Good thoughts, but, really, do you expect random dungeon queue people to follow? Run with guildies or friends only. Save yourself some headaches :-)
  • tanglethorntanglethorn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I havent played NW in almost 2 weeks. I refuse to play after all the stuff I bought and the current broken state of the game. And that includes the group system that encourages jerk offs to pull all sorts of BS. My experience of NW was a pretty negative one because the community is the worst Ive ever seen out of all the MMOs ive played.
  • stercogburnstercogburn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 214 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Like the OP's list.

However from observation the actual etiquette is:

1) Roll Need on everything. Including the can of coke beside another player's PC.

2) Abuse other players about the way they play their class while...

3) ...Remaining at the furthest away campfire from the action, safely out of harm's way.

4) Quit immediately upon dying. No need to tell the group how bad they are. The brainwaves from your magnificent mind are beaming your contempt directly into the heads of the other players at 1080p.

5) Do not hit adds. That is someone else's job.

6) Do not heal. That is someone else's job.

7) Do not CC. That is someone else's job.

8) Do not wipe your own <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>. That is someone else's job.

9) If in doubt, blame. Deflect like a crazy thing any mistakes that might possibly be traced back to you. Remember: deflect enough and the rest of the group will give up trying to blame you if you slow things down enough so that its faster to wipe and run back rather than pick an argument with you. Also, why haven't they given you that coke yet?

10) Anything anyone does well you already did better in a different group on a previous run. With one arm tied behind your back. Well technically it was a <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> mag but you were only driving the game with one hand so its still kind of true. Just keep spit roasting the other players' self esteem so that no matter how much of a <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> you act, you still appear to be something they want to aspire to.

These are the commandments of those who walk the prestigious path toward purple pixels.
    Roo. Cleric. Mad as a bag of badgers, will heal for beer.

Ancient Shadows: Mature. Sensible. Custard.
    Recruitment info at: http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?462591-Ancient-Shadows-Become-a-Lion-Tamer-without-learning-Chartered-Accountancy-first!&highlight=ancient+shadows
  • vindegilvindegil Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    @ OP: You Sir, are not only clever, to have thought deeply about this topic, you do have also the wisdom to write it down and to spread this pearls of knowledge within our community.
    Whether this will bear some fruits or not, at least it gives me the confirmation, that we "teamplayers" are not utterly alone out there.
    Be assured, that your fine words have refreshed my hope in (at least some parts of) the community and let us hold the banner of kindness high, so that everyone can see, selfishness and prejudice is not the way, this (and every other) game should be played.

Thank you very much.
    Kind regards,

Vindegil
  • talesmithtalesmith Member Posts: 116
    edited June 2013
    +1
    nuff said
  • zolimoszolimos Member Posts: 119 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    ross123321 wrote: »
    LFM CW/TR/DC SUPER FAST RUN 12K+ GS ONLY!!! PRO PRO PRO RUN SKIP SHORTCUT EXPLOIT... I don't even login anymore, game is a joke...

I totally understand your frustration, but if you have a little patience, I think you will see the landscape changing over time. The L33T exploiters will be edged out by those of us that enjoy playing the game. The power players will have everything they could ever want, get bored and move on. Us plodding "casual" gamers (hate that moniker) will continue to slowly grow our characters, guilds, friends lists, etc. and the game climate will change. At least, that's how I look at the game... and life too.
  • banecrushrbanecrushr Member Posts: 129 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    I agree with EVERY statment made here... been 60 for a few weeks now and have YET to finish any dungeon run. MUCH less figure the darn thing out at the speedy gonzales speed trip going on. I'm an old gamer... from the Doom, doom II days. We had FUN playing, and for the most part were courtious to one another. Guilds... I see that as the only way to get around the mess made of todays gaming comm. But it's the thought that counts Op and thanks for trying.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Sir, were now surrounded"!
    Thats great news son, now we can attack from ALL sides"!
  • kristingravekristingrave Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Half the time there is 0 communication in parties, sometimes due to language barriers. Hate running dungeons/pvp at night with out my guild mates, always get paired up with people I can't understand for the life of me. As far as dungeons being rushed, I don't care for that, I would rather speed run through the trash mobs to get to bosses. That and GF/GWF are semi useless in dungeons right now at least in T2 runs except something like FH where the tank just runs around a circle with the adds. Hopefully that will change after the patch, but as it stands 2 clerics almost always beat out 1 GF/GWF.
    GasMaskSmall-1.png
    Lift me up..
    Panda@kristingrave - CW - Dragon
    Death@healxyou - DC - Dragon
  • deheezydeheezy Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Good post other than the tanking part. As Tanks aren't required for a singled dungeon in this game. They're more useful for PvP than dungeons. In dungeons they're a wasted DPS slot that could trim off 2 minutes of boss fight time