test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

The Cost of a Respec

blovisblovis Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 11 Arc User
edited June 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
The cost of a respec is a little excessive, only 55 and 130k AD is way more than I have ever had. No chance of trying out different build with prices like that
Post edited by blovis on

Comments

• Options
    odinspathodinspath Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    It is allot yes however,

we will get a respec token for our toon on release and if it was to easy accumulating large amounts of AD no one would buy the Zen Scrolls.

You and I are both getting hour after hour of fun and entertainment out of this game for Free, It wouldn't hurt to buy some Zen and grab a few if you want to change your play-style :)

The best thing is we can buy Zen when we have extra cash or just want to support the game apposed to being forced to pay monthly.
  • Options
    threeravensthreeravens Member Posts: 50
    edited June 2013
    I agree that the respec pricee is a bit steep. Particularly this early in a game's life, when you would want to experiment and frequent changes to class balance are inevitable.

A small tip: zen prices on the exchange have fallen low enough it's more worthwhile to farm a bot more AD and buy a full respec token. Bought mine for less than 170AD. That in itself points to the feat respec price being too steep.
  • Options
    mconosrepmconosrep Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    it's more worthwhile to farm a bot more AD

Freudian slip? :)
  • Options
    johnfelljohnfell Banned Users Posts: 408 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    What's truly moronic and a slap in the face is that they have these prices for respecs during a self-proclaimed BETA, where we TEST their product for them - yet we end up paying to do so.
  • Options
    swoomustdienowswoomustdienow Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 136 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    blovis wrote: »
    The cost of a respec is a little excessive, only 55 and 130k AD is way more than I have ever had. No chance of trying out different build with prices like that

When I first started I thought exactly like you did, that the zen prices were outrageous, and that things that should be available more easily (like a respec) are not.

Once you play for a bit at 60 however, you see how absurdly easy it is to make money, and the prices seem so much better.
  • Options
    armenuaarmenua Member Posts: 108 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    People keep saying it is so easy to make AD and Zen, yet, I am still mystified by that. Try as I may, I have only been able to gather around 55k AD at level 48. I have done the dailies as I could and put what I get as drops on the AH and haven't not been able to get more than that.

I think the respec charge is gouging. As I have said in other threads, there are many ways to charge players for various things and they seem to be really happy to drop $20-$50 a month on these things. No need to gouge players at switching up their skills and feats trying to figure out the best build for them. It should be a nominal fee. At the current moment it is way overpriced.
  • Options
    lerdocixlerdocix Member Posts: 897 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    johnfell wrote: »
    What's truly moronic and a slap in the face is that they have these prices for respecs during a self-proclaimed BETA, where we TEST their product for them - yet we end up paying to do so.

Testing cash shops is most important part of beta for F2P games and since there is NO WIPE nothing is "moronic" except self deluded players.
    armenua wrote: »
    People keep saying it is so easy to make AD and Zen, yet, I am still mystified by that. Try as I may, I have only been able to gather around 55k AD at level 48. I have done the dailies as I could and put what I get as drops on the AH and haven't not been able to get more than that.

I think the respec charge is gouging. As I have said in other threads, there are many ways to charge players for various things and they seem to be really happy to drop $20-$50 a month on these things. No need to gouge players at switching up their skills and feats trying to figure out the best build for them. It should be a nominal fee. At the current moment it is way overpriced.
    Level 60 is where its easy to make AD, before that its all about dailies and leadership. Respec is extremely easy affordable for someone who often does T2 dungeons.
    Dailies on the long run will get you nowhere.
  • Options
    swoomustdienowswoomustdienow Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 136 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    armenua wrote: »

It's because you are level 48. The money is in the heroic instances - especially the dungeon delves - and that's when you will see a massive leap in income. Today we did Spellplague during DD. Boss dropped a Swash helm, winner is basically getting thousands of zen worth of astral for it. Then you have your box loot which can be anything as <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> as a 1 gold 60 silver bound piece of <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> jewlery or item you don't need, to an item worth hundreds of thousands of astral. I got a ring that sells for 200-300k from mine, it was a good-not-great box. (I've been burned many times though by those <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> vendor boxes though).

So get to 60, get some gear (should be able to easily kit yourself out for 55k AD on the AH nowadays), be good at your class, get in with a good group running or with friends, and pretty soon you will literally have more money than things to buy.

Edit: And that's without a single exploit. Those guys probably have mithril shoelaces on their tenth alts. It's a real shame because before you could farm five chests in a DD, you used to make some real money.
  • Options
    chintaechintae Member Posts: 110 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    odinspath wrote: »
    You and I are both getting hour after hour of fun and entertainment out of this game for Free, It wouldn't hurt to buy some Zen and grab a few if you want to change your play-style :)

There are *other* more worthwhile things to 'drop real money on and buy Zen' on the Zen store. Mounts, booster packs, cosmetic items. One thing that SUCCESSFUL mmo companies (and gah, I hate to say it but GW2, one of the games I hate the most in recent MMO history) at least understood the proclivity of letting people respec with 'cheap' in game currency. 3s50c a respec is trivial that I could experiment until I found a build that worked for *me*

This game punches people in the jollies and punishes you for wanting to respec. People claim that you should *research* and build right the first time, but they fail to see the point I *can* do that, yeah, but I don't want to. Not because I am too lazy too (I spent countless hours in Rift perfecting a PvP build and researching the best gear and stats as well as playstyle as well as asked for in game advice), it's that I WANT to experiment and come up what WORKS FOR ME. I want to see how the skills integrate, how each ability works, amplified (boosted through traits) and if it doesn't work as well as I'd hope, I'd love to wipe teh slate clean and begin again and try something else until I find out what works.

There are $40 mounts and $20 cosmetic items, $2.50 booster packs...there is enough in the store that there is no real excuse for setting RESPECS at such a high price that makes people bitter when huge sweeping changes roll across the board and since we have no idea how these changes will work in game, just slapping in new points is, well, worthless.
  • Options
    lhyeuzelhyeuze Member Posts: 71
    edited June 2013
    chintae wrote: »
    There are *other* more worthwhile things to 'drop real money on and buy Zen' on the Zen store. Mounts, booster packs, cosmetic items. One thing that SUCCESSFUL mmo companies (and gah, I hate to say it but GW2, one of the games I hate the most in recent MMO history) at least understood the proclivity of letting people respec with 'cheap' in game currency. 3s50c a respec is trivial that I could experiment until I found a build that worked for *me*

This game punches people in the jollies and punishes you for wanting to respec. People claim that you should *research* and build right the first time, but they fail to see the point I *can* do that, yeah, but I don't want to. Not because I am too lazy too (I spent countless hours in Rift perfecting a PvP build and researching the best gear and stats as well as playstyle as well as asked for in game advice), it's that I WANT to experiment and come up what WORKS FOR ME. I want to see how the skills integrate, how each ability works, amplified (boosted through traits) and if it doesn't work as well as I'd hope, I'd love to wipe teh slate clean and begin again and try something else until I find out what works.

There are $40 mounts and $20 cosmetic items, $2.50 booster packs...there is enough in the store that there is no real excuse for setting RESPECS at such a high price that makes people bitter when huge sweeping changes roll across the board and since we have no idea how these changes will work in game, just slapping in new points is, well, worthless.

Why do you hate Gw2?
  • Options
    veleriawhitewolfveleriawhitewolf Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 68
    edited June 2013
    Making Ad is only easy if you chose to play a CW, DC, or TR. If you are one of the other 2 classes you can rarely get groups and when you do your gear doesn't sell for more than a few k at the auction house. The other day I bought a full set of T2 GWF armor to test out for less than 40k AD. This is great for gearing but doesn't help pay for respecs. I don't mind them having a cost but 151k at level 60 is too much. Around 20 - 50k would be more reasonable and could be made in a couple days of non dungeon farming.
  • Options
    daschernachtdaschernacht Member Posts: 100
    edited June 2013
    odinspath wrote: »

The best thing is we can buy Zen when we have extra cash or just want to support the game apposed to being forced to pay monthly.

I'll buy zen to support the game when I feel there is some/more polish to go along with all the spit.