test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

tracking someone

demiurgerealmdemiurgerealm Member Posts: 109 Bounty Hunter
edited June 2013 in The Foundry
I want the player to see some tracks on the ground to let them know what has already passed through the area. I was thinking of setting a sparkly patch on the ground for them to interact with that would tell them about the tracks on the ground but unless I missed something none of the invisible objects fit the bill. Any suggestions?

thanks.
-Agent of Satan, but my duties are largely ceremonial.

Realm of the Demiurge Foundry Works

Neverwinter isn't D&D, it is a MMO based on a game that uses D&D terms but isn't really D&D either. NW is fun (for that matter so is 4E), but it isn't D&D, and once you wrap your expectations around that you will be able to enjoy the game for what it offers and not worry about what it does not.
Post edited by demiurgerealm on

Comments

• Options
    mosby1mosby1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 288 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Sure, lots of options. An invisible object such as the half-sphere, set to -3 Y or so would work fine.

Or you could do what I saw in another quest - make a patch of grass, or stick, or rock selectable. Or a dropped/snagged piece of cloth in a bush.

I really liked it when I played that quest - it's a neat effect, makes you actually feel like you're tracking something. One piece of advice - consider some false trails, to make it a bit more interesting.
    DM's Studio - NW-DHZ5DAV4R
    The Cursed Emerald:
    1. Weird of the Weather-witch -- NW-DEZAK4QPA
    2. The Ambitious Apprentice -- NW-DLRAVW4S4
  • Options
    thehuntress#2050 thehuntress Member Posts: 119 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I've been think of how to do this too but, I'm sad to say, that anything that I play with to "make" footprints or tracks doesnt really work. You can place an invicible clicky far enough that something isn't "glittering" but close enought to use.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    mosby1 wrote: »
    Sure, lots of options. An invisible object such as the half-sphere, set to -3 Y or so would work fine.

Or you could do what I saw in another quest - make a patch of grass, or stick, or rock selectable. Or a dropped/snagged piece of cloth in a bush.

I really liked it when I played that quest - it's a neat effect, makes you actually feel like you're tracking something. One piece of advice - consider some false trails, to make it a bit more interesting.

Oh, right, the quest of missing children in the Tower District? There was something there to interact with that informs the PC that they discovered something.
  • Options
    demiurgerealmdemiurgerealm Member Posts: 109 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    I ended up using grass sections, spread a group of them across the main route of travel so they'd be hard to miss, works pretty well I think.
    -Agent of Satan, but my duties are largely ceremonial.

Realm of the Demiurge Foundry Works

Neverwinter isn't D&D, it is a MMO based on a game that uses D&D terms but isn't really D&D either. NW is fun (for that matter so is 4E), but it isn't D&D, and once you wrap your expectations around that you will be able to enjoy the game for what it offers and not worry about what it does not.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Sounds like a perfect use - describing that a tuft of grass is impressed by a specific track.
  • Options
    mosby1mosby1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 288 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    thelastria wrote: »
    I've been think of how to do this too but, I'm sad to say, that anything that I play with to "make" footprints or tracks doesnt really work. You can place an invicible clicky far enough that something isn't "glittering" but close enought to use.

If you don't want it to sparkle, use an Invisible Wall 5x5x5.
    DM's Studio - NW-DHZ5DAV4R
    The Cursed Emerald:
    1. Weird of the Weather-witch -- NW-DEZAK4QPA
    2. The Ambitious Apprentice -- NW-DLRAVW4S4