test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Recommendation for GWF best gear set?

sorrowswindssorrowswinds Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 56
edited June 2013 in The Militia Barracks
looking at the different sets over on NW wiki:

http://neverwinter.gamepedia.com/Great_Weapon_Fighter_Sets#Great_Weapon_Fighter

For Great weapon Fighter

I am thinking the Avatar of War is the best gear set but not sure.

I am looking to go with high power DPS build with at least some good survivability that can help prove GWF is a viable

DPS output party member. I already do top 2 easy most times on DPS chart but die too much.

Any one with any experience with the different sets and what would be best?
eIZAVOi.jpg
Post edited by sorrowswinds on

Comments

• mutantdemocracymutantdemocracy Member Posts: 497 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Here's the thing... Your GWF probably isn't going to be in the top 2 damage spots, once you hit level 60 and start doing epic dungeons. It doesn't matter what you do.

Personally, I changed my feats and started using abilities that basically make me impossible to move. I now debuff enemies for my real DPS teammates to do even more damage(60%+ defense debuff) while being able to quickly charge Indomitable to rescue downed teammates even through CC.
  • sorrowswindssorrowswinds Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 56
    edited June 2013
    Here's the thing... Your GWF probably isn't going to be in the top 2 damage spots, once you hit level 60 and start doing epic dungeons. It doesn't matter what you do.

Personally, I changed my feats and started using abilities that basically make me impossible to move. I now debuff enemies for my real DPS teammates to do even more damage(60%+ defense debuff) while being able to quickly charge Indomitable to rescue downed teammates even through CC.

I had expected that upcoming patches will nerf the OP builds and bugs while buffing those that needed buffing, which is why i went with a GWF. It may not yet be balanced out based on the upcoming major patch but it is a good start from getting insta kicked for being a GWF.

So i set out to be the best possible GWF i could be and really mass DPS the heck out of stuff since that seemed to be the main concern with GWF is that they were basically gimps. I was never not in the top 2-3 so far(when i got some AD together anyway) but died more then i would have liked. Now i would like to continue that trend going forward with lvl 60 knowing that the patch will help some with the overall picture.

But anywho ya that is just a personal goal of mine is to have a really nice GWF that stands out and says "look i am no GIMP!" Or at least by GWF standard anyway. We are no rogue no denying that lol

So what would you say you reckon would be the best gear set for good DPS?
    eIZAVOi.jpg
  • serpentttserpenttt Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 77
    edited June 2013
    I suggest 2/4 avatar of war, 2/4 vigilant warlord, castle champion greatsword and knot. Accessories are a matter of preference. I'm stacked armor pen/recovery heavy. There are blue belts that that have offensive slots and great stats, look out for those.
  • mellinthmellinth Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    serpenttt wrote: »
    I suggest 2/4 avatar of war, 2/4 vigilant warlord, castle champion greatsword and knot. Accessories are a matter of preference. I'm stacked armor pen/recovery heavy. There are blue belts that that have offensive slots and great stats, look out for those.

This is how I build and it works (comparatively) well. In addition to the blue belts, you'll end up wanting blue rings and necks too as they're the only items with arp and recovery in respectable amounts that also have offense slots.

Try to aim for 2.2k arp and 3k recovery. The rest of your stats will come without you having to stack them.
  • sorrowswindssorrowswinds Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 56
    edited June 2013
    serpenttt wrote: »
    mellinth wrote: »
    This is how I build and it works (comparatively) well. In addition to the blue belts, you'll end up wanting blue rings and necks too as they're the only items with arp and recovery in respectable amounts that also have offense slots.

Try to aim for 2.2k arp and 3k recovery. The rest of your stats will come without you having to stack them.

Sounds like it will have the right amount of tank power at 3k recovery. Will give this a go see if i dont feel like i am slinging wet noodles when you would think this giant sword should be knocking over trees and small buildings
    eIZAVOi.jpg
  • theliethesametheliethesame Member Posts: 104 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    As ppl said above, 2 vigilant, 2 avatar , ancient weapon set. You will have to go for piercing berseker rings and neck (Belt is bis but too expensive). You want to stack arm pen up to 2.2k rest on critical on the gear you wear for pvp purposes, while stacking recovery and whatever ammount of crit/recovery you need for the breakpoint at your cat or ioun of allure companion for pve.
    Breakpoints are :
    Critical : 3k
    ArmPen :2.2k
    Recovery 3k

When you get the breakpoints, you must focus on getting a greater weapon enchant (pref plague fire). If you think that is too expensive, you can target on some rank 8 enchants to free offensive slots and stack tenebrous enchants (cost will be close to plague fire though.

Then create an actual class alt (CW / TR) ,only to realize that with half the effort/cost, you are far more effective than your GWF toon.
  • gdante7111111gdante7111111 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 227 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    This is what you do increase your defense and deflect, then increase critical and power. everything else is second, do what I say and you ready to go.
  • kwazikwazi Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    vigilant helm + chest
    AoW feet + gloves

That setup gives the most recovery I believe and recovery/arp is better than crit especially with ancient castle set.
    edited June 2013
    Does the set bonus not show in the character sheet?I have the 2 piece avatar now but it does not appear to add the set bonus.

Without bracer/boot added critical strike is at 947
    With is 1,465

bracer and boots both each have +259 critical strike natively before bonus which adds up to 518

Should be showing a value of 1,915 total bonus included

Hmm another bug i am guessing?
    eIZAVOi.jpg
  • rainger2rainger2 Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Does the set bonus not show in the character sheet?I have the 2 piece avatar now but it does not appear to add the set bonus.

Without bracer/boot added critical strike is at 947
    With is 1,465

bracer and boots both each have +259 critical strike natively before bonus which adds up to 518

Should be showing a value of 1,915 total bonus included

Hmm another bug i am guessing?

are you using the "of the drake" items? They don't have set bonuses.
    edited June 2013
    rainger2 wrote: »
    are you using the "of the drake" items? They don't have set bonuses.

bah that is the problem lol ok on to get the right ones
    eIZAVOi.jpg