test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

New boss mechanics

darkplains0darkplains0 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
edited June 2013 in PvE Discussion
Since the bosses in this game are pretty much all the same. Spawn adds do 2 or 3 powerful attacks spawn more adds.

I thought it might be a good idea to have a thread that has a few suggestions on new mechanics that bosses can have (that don't involve spawning more adds) to make them more interesting and challenging.

Such as having hazardous changing environments like ice that can knock you down but can also effects the boss/adds. Or traps that you can lure them into. Something that makes you have to adjust or change your tactics.

Just wondering what interesting idea's people can come up with?
Post edited by darkplains0 on

Comments

• maxwelsilvermaxwelsilver Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 48
    edited June 2013
    Unfortunately, the lack of skills in the game leave few options other than their rhetorical add mobs. For instance, a boss can't cast a true "silence" spell, as there is no saving throw per character for such a thing. The "silence" that's in the game is a spam timed spell with 100% effectiveness. Darkness, (same) etc. etc. How can you make a boss unique under these conditions? If half your party is silenced, then the dynamics of strategy comes to play, and it gets interesting and engaging, and doesn't require adds.
  • herakleiaherakleia Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 95
    edited June 2013
    One of the things that's most refreshing about this game is the lack of the kind of boss mechanics you typically see in other MMOs. The add waves can be overwhelming, but they're improving the abilities of classes made to deal with them, even if they're reducing your ability to kick them over a ledge.

Let's not turn this game into something that sends people into live voice chat, which I've always found somewhat immersion breaking. Let's face it, most boss mechanics in other MMOs work mostly by trying to overtax your attention span. The way people deal with them is to assign one player the boring job of monitoring one thing and calling out various alarms. And most of them rely too much on 'go stand OVER THERE, NOW!': which tends to be unfair to melee DPS.
  • klangeddinklangeddin Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 882 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Copied from the other thread :P

The brain boss in Dread Vault would be so easy to change and make it both challenging and different without any of those trash adds.

Just the brain and the 4 big tentacles (that respawn eventually if killed).

- All adds removed and tentacles unchanged.
    - His gigantic AoE on the ground scales with the amount of tentacles that are alive and not engaged in combat. If no tentacle is engaged it covers the whole area and wipes the party (let's say 50000 unmitigated damage). If all are engaged it covers only 1/5 of the area and deals 1/5 of the damage.
    - At 66% (only once) he submerges and spawns all T1 bosses as illusions (ONLY the bosses, NO adds). These bosses are identical to their normal/epic counterparts, the only difference is that they have a debuff that lasts 30 seconds. When the debuff runs out, they disappear. If you hit them, the duration of the debuff is refreshed. Pretty much you have to survive the bosses for 30 seconds without hitting them.
    - While submerged, the boss regains health, the more he is submerged, the more health he regains.
    - After he emerges for the first time, he adds one move to his repertoire. A sends sonic wave in a very long cone that lift and push you (if not avoided) to the edges, killing you.
    - At 33% (only once) he submerges and spawns all other T2 bosses. Same as 66% phase.
    - After he emerges for the second time, he adds another move to his repertoire. He shoots psionic beams from above that damage you and knock you down (circle on the ground), there's lots of these all over the map, but they follow a certain pattern.
    - At 0% he gives you loot.

... this is what I do when I'm bored. I imagine boss fights.
  • osadamaskosadamask Member Posts: 137 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Taken from a similar thread:
    osadamask wrote: »
    Void, I really like the post.

What suggestions do you have for dungeon design in general?

I would like to see bosses with targetable weakpoints, that need to be dealt with at certain points in the fight. Such as the final boss in CoK(lvl 59 dun) its a big red dragon. It flys up onto a perch at certain points in the fight. With the opportunity to take out its wings, that should give the damage dealers in your team more opportunities to deal damage because it cant fly off to safety anymore. Perhaps 10k tail targeted damage would be required for the dragon to stand on its hindlegs and reveal its belly, a weakpoint that allows additional damage to be dealt or perhaps a unique HP pool that must be drained in order to defeat the boss.

Thread Quote Comes From : http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?317731-Boss-Mechanics-(or-lack-thereof)-and-Other-Criticisms/page3