test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Morals, Ethics and Trading Poll

ctdummy80ctdummy80 Member Posts: 57
edited June 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
Is offering an unbalanced trade to make a profit off of other people's lack of knowledge morally wrong?
Post edited by ctdummy80 on

Comments

• Options
    mconosrepmconosrep Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    ctdummy80 wrote: »
    Is offering an unbalanced trade to make a profit off of other people's lack of knowledge morally wrong?

I think you have answered your own question, really.
  • Options
    asashiroasashiro Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    No. Well... How unbalanced? No. Yes. Sort of but not really. Whenever I trade I look to make at least 10k AD in my favor per trade after any ah fees, minimum. Usually in small things that trade quickly, that people want and continually trade up for more valuable things. Do I care that they could have just as easily gotten what I'm trading them for less through the same means that I did? Meh...
  • Options
    morsitansmorsitans Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1,284 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    In a real world scenario, ripping people off has negative consequences if (for example) you want this person to be a regular customer. A tradesman might say "actually sir, you can get those boards for much cheaper if you use this other supplier", and thus obtain a reputation as an honest chap worthy of business.

In-game, there's essentially no downside to <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> people over, since you're not gonna trade with them again, and they're unlikely to remember your name anyway. And all characters look more or less alike.

So yes, of course it is. But you shouldn't be surprised if a large number of people do it anyway.
  • Options
    kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,440 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    The one that bugs me is people offering stuff that they know is either <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> or readily available from a vendor, on the auction house/trade channel for a premium price.

Like Bags of Holes. Or offering cash shop items in trade chat, for 1.5x or more of what they would cost if you just converted your AD to zen and bought the thing yourself.

(Or, back in the days I played WoW, the people who would sell crafting recipe scrolls on the auction for many many times the cost of..... just walking three stores to the right and buying them off a vendor for 2 silver. And not even the limited supply ones, but the ones that anyone could buy a dozen of.)
  • Options
    hkiewahkiewa Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 379 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Ah the age o'le silly question of morality in a video game
  • Options
    manasiremanasire Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited June 2013

As a Paladin at heart, I say, Pray for forgiveness you sinner ! As a human being and fellow gamer, I say Exploitation is the core of capitalism, and so long as it's not me, I guess it's okay.:)
    A wise man learns more from a foolish question, than a fool learns from a wise answer.
  • Options
    kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,440 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    hkiewa wrote: »
    Ah the age o'le silly question of morality in a video game

There's nothing silly about treating the people around you fairly. Just because you're interacting via pixels on a game server (instead of by phone, or in person) doesn't make it any different. /shrug

(and yes, I only roll greed/pass on things that I don't actually Need.)
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    kiralyn wrote: »
    There's nothing silly about treating the people around you fairly. Just because you're interacting via pixels on a game server (instead of by phone, or in person) doesn't make it any different. /shrug

(and yes, I only roll greed/pass on things that I don't actually Need.)

Okay, you win. Your'e right, it's not okay -even in a video game. But you know, the question of morality Vs legality is an interesting one.
    A wise man learns more from a foolish question, than a fool learns from a wise answer.
  • Options
    daervondaervon Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    What has morality got to do with this?

Who is to say whether a trade is unbalanced or not? You're not twisting any arms. Someone says they want to buy what you have, and you quote a price. They either take it or not. Are you supposed to do market research for them to see if there's someone out there selling cheaper so you can drop your price even lower than them?

Morality has nothing to do with the above whatsoever.

Now if you're lying about what you're selling -- like saying that 4 Bags of Holes can be combined to make a Bag of Holding -- that's not an "unbalanced trade", that's scamming and whether morally wrong or not, the moment it gets out that you're doing it, you'll be out of business whether in-game or in real life.
  • Options
    powereddjinnpowereddjinn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Takes another look to make sure someone has not swapped the forum for EvE Onlines General one.

Caveat Emptor
    If your offer is true then both parties should be aware of the market, and if they accept then morals do not enter into it!
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    daervon wrote: »

Who is to say whether a trade is unbalanced or not? You're not twisting any arms. Someone says they want to buy what you have, and you quote a price. They either take it or not. Are you supposed to do market research for them to see if there's someone out there selling cheaper so you can drop your price even lower than them?

Now if you're lying about what you're selling -- like saying that 4 Bags of Holes can be combined to make a Bag of Holding -- that's not an "unbalanced trade", that's scamming and whether morally wrong or not, the moment it gets out that you're doing it, you'll be out of business whether in-game or in real life.

So, let me get this straight. The reason you wouldn't scam, has less to do with it's lack of morality, but more to do with getting caught and thereby,loosing future business! Hmm, nice.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Takes another look to make sure someone has not swapped the forum for EvE Onlines General one.

Caveat Emptor
    If your offer is true then both parties should be aware of the market, and if they accept then morals do not enter into it!

please define 'true' in your context.
  • Options
    kerlaakerlaa Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013

I have to agree with daervon. Just because someone is selling something lower then the next guy doesn't mean he is low balling, just that he wants to get rid of it and is willing to do it at a lower price. As for misleading tactics such as lying about your product/item is alittle shady. As a customer tho it also falls on you to do alittle research as well. I mean really who would have bought a Bag of Holes, it came from a Cloak of USELESS things.
  • Options
    daervondaervon Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    manasire wrote: »
    So, let me get this straight. The reason you wouldn't scam, has less to do with it's lack of morality, but more to do with getting caught and thereby,loosing future business! Hmm, nice.

Really? That's all you got from what I wrote?

I said "whether it is morally wrong or not, it will have consequences".

I will not even start a philosophical discussion with you about what is and is not morally wrong, and whether there is a universal morality standard or whether morality is dependent on individual or cultural values, thus making this entire question moot from the beginning.

However, I will say this: Morality may be very nice, and you, from your high horse might think it's cool to wave it about as a banner, but let's be realistic... it has ZERO effect in the real world -- or the in-game world, or whatever other world -- other than the consequences you will face when word gets out that you are not following the "moral norm" of your community, whichever community that may be.

So, sure, I can see why someone would choose to be a fair trader so that they can keep on trading, not even considering the moral side of things.

Why would *I* choose to trade fairly, or not, though? That's my own business and you can keep your speculation about that to yourself.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    And the last few guys highlight my point precisely. Morality and legality are NOT one and the same. Nothing else to be said, I think.
  • Options
    nubgamernubgamer Member Posts: 53 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I've always been of the mind set that anything that someone has for sale is worth exactly what the person selling it is willing to part with it for and what the person purchasing it is willing to pay, a fair trade is not so much dependant on what others are selling/trading for as it is on the trading parties being happy with the trade.

The best advice that I can possibly give to someone who asks "how much is this worth" is to reply with another question, "how much is it worth to you?"

This principle concept insures that no one receives an unfair deal, if you do not feel the price is enough to sell the item/service then do not take it, on the other hand if you feel the price of the item/service is too much then do not purchase it.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Both are contructs to aid social cohesion, though. Legality is just stricter and more defined. There have always been consequences for bucking the trend and <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> over the 'herd', it's just that some of them were so severe they needed to be specifically codified. Saying "yeah it's morally repugnant but it's not ILLEGAL" may be technically true, but it's not really the hallmark of a productive social species.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    manasire wrote: »
    And the last few guys highlight my point precisely. Morality and legality are NOT one and the same. Nothing else to be said, I think.

They never have been. A law cannot be both "right" AND " just" at the same time, because it needs to be objective and not take into account mitigating circumstances. This is where, in the real world, courts and judges and the human element come into play, to mitigate the implacability of the law.

In any case, however, again your point is completely moot since, in a video game, there are no laws, no courts, no jails about anything, and the only rules that are enforced are those that have to do with the mechanics of the game itself (and, even then as we saw in the not so distant past here, such enforcement is neither immediate nor exactly terrible in a lot of cases). All you have is your reputation, and whether you choose to soil it or leave it sparkling clean will determine how you are received by the community around you.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Really? That's all you got from what I wrote?

I said "whether it is morally wrong or not, it will have consequences".

I will not even start a philosophical discussion with you about what is and is not morally wrong, and whether there is a universal morality standard or whether morality is dependent on individual or cultural values, thus making this entire question moot from the beginning.

However, I will say this: Morality may be very nice, and you, from your high horse might think it's cool to wave it about as a banner, but let's be realistic... it has ZERO effect in the real world -- or the in-game world, or whatever other world -- other than the consequences you will face when word gets out that you are not following the "moral norm" of your community, whichever community that may be.

So, sure, I can see why someone would choose to be a fair trader so that they can keep on trading, not even considering the moral side of things.

Why would *I* choose to trade fairly, or not, though? That's my own business and you can keep your speculation about that to yourself.

Hi daervon,

Apologies. How you choose to trade, is indeed, your business. Incidentally, I can't ride. High horse or low.
  • Options
    cyresofbsgocyresofbsgo Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited June 2013

there is a Rule for that.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    morsitans wrote: »
    Both are contructs to aid social cohesion, though. Legality is just stricter and more defined. There have always been consequences for bucking the trend and <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> over the 'herd', it's just that some of them were so severe they needed to be specifically codified. Saying "yeah it's morally repugnant but it's not ILLEGAL" may be technically true, but it's not really the hallmark of a productive social species.

I ask only that you consider Apartheid in south Africa, as an example of morality Vs Legality to highlight my point.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Hahahahahhah. Well at least you didn't press the godwin button.
  • Options
    nornsavantnornsavant Member Posts: 311 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Morality has a deep and abiding effect on anyone with an interest in civilization and the furthering of a civil society. Having said that, one might look at the other side of the coin and observe that humans are a generally scummy lot. They will do horrible things to each other with hardly a moment sleep lost.

So anyone who trades in the game needs to play by a variation of spycraft’s Moscow Rules. Everyone is out to cheat you, everyone is out to get the best deal for themselves and they will gladly sell you your own liver if you would be so kind as to bid on it.

Is this always true? No. But you will not be able to tell when it is true and when it is not, so each time you make some assumption about your trading partner other than assuming they are trying to cheat you, then you are taking a risk, making yourself vulnerable. If that’s your choice then you may virtuously kick yourself if it goes badly.

In this scenario, however, the administration and developers play the part of interested parties looking to make their society more fair civil and equitable. So it is entirely reasonable that they might make changes to force the savages to play nicer. But the sweeping idea that they will develop a group-think morality doesn’t happen. It doesn’t happen in real life and it doesn’t happen in a game. It doesn’t even happen in a kindergarten.

So morality, beyond that which is enforced, is not going to happen. Assume your trading partners are scummy, self interested, capitalists and you will at least have the occasionally pleasant (albeit suspicious) surprise of being wrong.
  • Options
    nubgamernubgamer Member Posts: 53 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    nornsavant wrote: »
    So morality, beyond that which is enforced, is not going to happen. Assume your trading partners are scummy, self interested, capitalists and you will at least have the occasionally pleasant (albeit suspicious) surprise of being wrong.

+1 I loved this!
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    I appreciate everyone's input, this made for a great read when I got home from work. It is interesting to see delve into people's character through their responses. I came about this question after trading an adventurer for a pair of steel shears. Knowing full well the value of each I have put into practice trading my adventurers for steel tools. I simply make the offer and if they are willing I accept and I didn't think anything of it until last night when someone finally asked me if they received a fair trade. I honestly answered him as it wasn't a far off difference that I had got the better end of the deal. It was only a steel bellows and I went on to explain to him that I trade not for equality but for profit. I do not try to trick anyone into trading anything so I see it as someone trading something they don't need for something they do or something they want. However, I don't point out the difference in market value. I thought about it and I felt compelled to post this inquiry into the morals and ethics of trading.
  • Options
    gdante7111111gdante7111111 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 227 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    When I put things at ah I dont put buy this for 10.000 ad, Because thats a rip off. It depends on the item, I put rare and ultra rare items around 1.000 to 7.000 ad (it depends on the item.)

P.S I look at the stats, and If I see it having more then 2 then I put between 500 to 800 ad, rare and ultra rare items will have 5 and more. For those I put between 1.000 to 7.000 ad, like I said already and like I said already it depends on the stats.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    When I put things at ah I dont put buy this for 10.000 ad, Because thats a rip off. It depends on the item, I put rare and ultra rare items around 1.000 to 7.000 ad (it depends on the item.)

P.S I look at the stats, and If I see it having more then 2 then I put between 500 to 800 ad, rare and ultra rare items will have 5 and more. For those I put between 1.000 to 7.000 ad, like I said already and like I said already it depends on the stats.
    LoL are you being serious or are you trying to scam the good trusting people of this game into posting cheap gear for you?