test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Auction House Snipers

obdestroyerobdestroyer Member Posts: 3 Arc User
edited June 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
One thing that is bugging me is the AH. Besides some other minor aspects, this "precise countdown timer" is a bad feat IMO. It makes super easy for ppl to snipe out some deals instead of actual fighting to get it. Some other games solve that by simply changing the timer: when it gets to 30 min left of auction, instead of going 29m59s, 29m58s and so on, the game should only say that the auction has less than 30min left. Either that or keep the timer as it is, but everytime someone bids the item, the auction should stay open for at least a couple minutes more (5min for example)... so if someone bid with 3secs left, the auction would prorogate a bit more to give a chance to other ppl to actually "fight" for the item.
I'm saying this because the way it is now, bidding is simply stupid and useless. People either go for the b/o or wait till the last possible second to bid and get the item fr the lowest possible price.
Post edited by obdestroyer on

Comments

• Options
    hkiewahkiewa Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 379 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    I don't see the problem. This is clearly WAI
  • Options
    danxbxdanxbx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Either you are not happy because someone is sniping from you or your items are not selling high enough.

This is easy to fix that doesn't require any developer intervention. Pay what feel is a fair value and you'll probably win and when setting bids, increase the starting bid. Problem for both solved.
  • Options
    srazysrazy Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 207 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    People still Bid? HAHAHAHAHAHA
    BUYOUT FTW, its very unlikely ull get a better deal by bidding, people that post a good items to bid, log onto another acc too keep the price up or buy the item themselves to save losses.
  • Options
    obdestroyerobdestroyer Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    That's exactly my point, the way the game is now, bidding is pointless.
    If the developers want it to be used (wich i think they did, otherwise it wouldn't even exist such a thing) that feat require changes ASAP.
  • Options
    pinkfontpinkfont Member Posts: 563 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    I've never bidded on a single item. They don't need to change anything though. I'm just not interested in playing the auction house like ebay.
    A rich rogue nowadays is fit company for any gentleman; and the world, my dear, hath not such a contempt for roguery as you imagine. - John HAMSTER
  • Options
    jacki3chan1jacki3chan1 Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Have u ever been to an auction house. its the way they work in reality. deal with it. don't bid till the last second. yes they tend to add a little countdown, but some don't even do that.
  • Options
    lerdocixlerdocix Member Posts: 897 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    One thing that is bugging me is the AH. Besides some other minor aspects, this "precise countdown timer" is a bad feat IMO. It makes super easy for ppl to snipe out some deals instead of actual fighting to get it. Some other games solve that by simply changing the timer: when it gets to 30 min left of auction, instead of going 29m59s, 29m58s and so on, the game should only say that the auction has less than 30min left. Either that or keep the timer as it is, but everytime someone bids the item, the auction should stay open for at least a couple minutes more (5min for example)... so if someone bid with 3secs left, the auction would prorogate a bit more to give a chance to other ppl to actually "fight" for the item.
    I'm saying this because the way it is now, bidding is simply stupid and useless. People either go for the b/o or wait till the last possible second to bid and get the item fr the lowest possible price.

Working as intended. Nothing wrong with it.
    Only fools go for bids anyway, most of the time its just not worth it.
  • Options
    bolcien1bolcien1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    lerdocix wrote: »
    Working as intended. Nothing wrong with it.
    Only fools go for bids anyway, most of the time its just not worth it.

not worth it? and only for fools? then why did I just get a few hundred risiduum (or however it's spelled) for just a handful of AD? (less then 100) because I'm an AH sniper. and I turned that into gold which turned into keys which had a possibility of getting me a mount or some other high level profession stuff I can use. so bidding is not for fools or is not worth it. Now I'm not going to be a fool and say yes I lose a lot of items to people who buy out the items, but if you are patient you will get great deals on items that go for 10s, even 100s of thousands of AD which you can turn for a profit, or use to get something you want/need.
  • Options
    darkjeffdarkjeff Member Posts: 2,590 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Wait, I thought bidding does increase the duration remaining. Doesn't it?
  • Options
    chronomancerchronomancer Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,223
    edited June 2013
    darkjeff wrote: »
    Wait, I thought bidding does increase the duration remaining. Doesn't it?

It does. Unfortunately the display doesn't update to reflect the new timer.
  • Options
    druga1757druga1757 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 76
    edited June 2013
    It does. Unfortunately the display doesn't update to reflect the new timer.
    Unless I'm mistaken, the timer could have been related to the -bids/AH exploit.
  • Options
    daschladaschla Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 240 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Shill bidding needs to stop, period.
    Sister Vanity knows if you've been naughty or nice...and heals accordingly.
  • Options
    lltsnwnlltsnwn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 787 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Most online auctions allow people to place bids that are higher than the current bid that will allow them to auto-bid if someone attempts to snipe at the auction at the last second. E-Bay does this as it is a common tactic...
    12.jpgRanger.jpg
  • Options
    chronomancerchronomancer Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,223
    edited June 2013
    druga1757 wrote: »
    Unless I'm mistaken, the timer could have been related to the -bids/AH exploit.

The countdown is kinda broken atm. When the auction is sniped at the last moment the added time isn't displayed but the auction ends up with no timer displayed in my personal experience. I think it does add something like 30 seconds to a minute for each last minute bids.
  • Options
    daschladaschla Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 240 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Does nothing of the sort. I buy last minute all of the time, and literally, last minute is just that. It does not add time, at all.
    Sister Vanity knows if you've been naughty or nice...and heals accordingly.
  • Options
    desertwolphdesertwolph Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    The sniping specifically keeps me from the AH. It is impossible to get anything unless you are willing to sit and watch the timer run out. It's to bad too, I've loved playing the AH in every other game I've played.

My last year in WOW I literally did nothing but play the AH. I gave them $180 just to amass a giant fortune of fake gold.
  • Options
    kalizaarkalizaar Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    lltsnwn wrote: »
    Most online auctions allow people to place bids that are higher than the current bid that will allow them to auto-bid if someone attempts to snipe at the auction at the last second. E-Bay does this as it is a common tactic...

That would be nice. Much easier to put in a maximum price you'd be willing to pay and then walk away hoping you get it for much less than that maximum.