test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

New player questions

centralcalcentralcal Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 7 Arc User
edited June 2013 in The Library
Hello, I have just started playing Neverwinter and have some noobish questions. I am currently L15 CW and have a HUD question. In my powers box, there is an area with General Powers, it has 2 mechanic powers Arcane Mastery and Chill. They both say they are always active but also say to drag them to my HUD tray but neither one will go into any of the existing boxes. Also, any tips on playing low level CW would be appreciated. I have read some of the guides but they seem to be tuned towards end game builds. Thanks......
Post edited by centralcal on

Comments

• Options
    doctorcomicsdoctorcomics Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Arcane Mastery and Chill slot into those two little tiny boxes stacked on top of each other on the left side of your power bar. They are probably already slotted, appearing as tiny yellow squares. You will get more of these class features as you level, and will get to decide which to use and which to leave unused.

As you level you will spend your power points, and for a while you will not be able to raise powers over rank 2. Even when you can raise them to rank 3, you will still have enough power points to do this with more powers than you can actually slot. This allows you to have a couple of builds, or extra powers which you slot in certain conditions. For example, many bosses at the ends of zones are immune to control effects, and they will take literally 0 damage from powers like Entangling Force. Knockback powers like Repel and Shield are great when soloing, but many groups dislike them because the Melee characters have to chase your targets all over. Use these extra power points to rank up a few powers that cover these situations.

Take a look at the three feat trees that open up to you at level 30. You will see that many of those feats buff specific powers. This will determine which feat tree you should work on, as you pick the ones that use powers which you like and which suit your play style. Your Paragon Path is based on Area DPS lightning attacks, and at the moment it is our only option, but nothing says you have to use these powers, if you would rather stick with Cold or Arcane effects.

Finally, there is a big class balance and bug fix coming, so you want to keep an eye on those patch notes.

Good luck!
  • Options
    emkayseeemkaysee Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Arcane Mastery and Chill are both passive effects.

Arcane Mastery stacks are gained from the 3rd attack of magic missile, as well as varying encounters.

Chill works the same way. Whenever you use a cold spell, it usually adds a stack of "Chill". When these stacks exceed a total of 6, the target is frozen for a short duration. Again, most skills will say if it adds a stack of chill or not and how many stacks.

Neither Arcane Mastery or Chill are things that need to be slotted into your HUD. They are always working.

Edit - Also, for low level grinding, I'd just simply suggest slotting Chill Strike into your Tab. This lets you clear trash mobs with extreme ease. I believe your Tab slot becomes available at level 20. (Tab is also known as Spell Mastery in your powers menu).
  • Options
    centralcalcentralcal Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Thanks to you both....