test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

[Suggestion] Make XP useful at level 60

jipatsujipatsu Member Posts: 94
edited May 2014 in General Discussion (PC)
Hey there,

This came up to my mind as you still gain xp from invocation and leadership profession, how about make the xp usefull, and make it so that when you hit the next level in your xp bar, you gain points towards respeccin.

For example, 1 xp par completed, you get 1 respec point which you can use to move points in powers or points in feats eg.

This way the respec token is not the only way to move the points on your character and this way the xp also means something after you hit the max lvl.

Thoughts?
Post edited by jipatsu on

Comments

• Options
    itsneoitsneo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Silverstars Posts: 74
    edited June 2013
    erm, use it to level companions?

IGN: DrDoom
    CLS: Heretic
    SVR: Atlantis
    IND ID:1000165G030200060007250S15fb1f

Personally I cannot see PWE introducing anything to do with level 60 xp that will affect their profit margin (Retraining tokens cost 600 Zen which equates to 6 dollars/euros).

Could be the same for the tomes to level companions, I would not be surprised if those were only to be available for Zen, as it would be another opportunity to make some money from the NW players.
  • Options
    jorderon1jorderon1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Some function for XP at the max level would be useful, especially for leadership rewards. Perhaps at level 60 make Char xp apply at a 1/10th rate toward leadership XP.

I can see xp gain going toward a respec point, but as was mentioned here before, I don't see PW doing it since normal respec costs are 6/per
  • Options
    lerdocixlerdocix Member Posts: 897 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    No mmo does anything to make exp useful at max level. And no mmo will do anything.
    Why? Because it makes absolutely no sense at all.
  • Options
    grayimpactgrayimpact Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    lerdocix wrote: »
    No mmo does anything to make exp useful at max level. And no mmo will do anything.

This is not true at all, i don't remember which game it was, but I've played a MMO where if you reach max level, all future experience goes towards skill points to spend on the skills you have available.

This model wouldn't work in neverwinter, but saying that no MMO's do it is simply not true.
    Just because you think this makes no sense doesn't mean everybody else agrees.

It simply makes you look mean.
  • Options
    ceryndrionceryndrion Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I'm almost embarrassed to say, but one of my companions, has enough xp, to reach level 60 :P
    I reject your reality and I substitute my own!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

My opinions are my own, and do not represent those of Perfect World Entertainment, or Cryptic Studios
    [ Rules of Conduct - Terms - FAQ - Support Centre - Important Stuff ]
  • Options
    solidriversolidriver Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    is there no way of replaying everything when you've max leveled? just for the fun of it?
  • Options
    imivoimivo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,682 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    solidriver wrote: »
    is there no way of replaying everything when you've max leveled? just for the fun of it?

If you have done a quest on one character, it's done and you cannot do it again (unless it is a repeatable quest or a daily). But you can make a new character and level him or her up, too!

I use the XP at 60 to max out my companions. Takes quite a bit without questing.
    Unsure about skills and feats? Check the Master List of Class Builds!
  • Options
    buckem420buckem420 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013

FFXI implemented xp after max level to both retain your level when you die (gotta love deleveling and not being able to equip your endgame gear anymore) and to obtain merit points used to further enhance your characters skills. Saying that no mmo does this is incorrect, and how they did it made perfect sense in their model of mmo.
  • Options
    holt3holt3 Member Posts: 333 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Warhammer Online had a secondary type of PVP experience. So once you level capped, you had a pvp cap at level 100. It kept you wanting to pvp at End Game.

If they did something like this for PvE and PVP, with some additional skill unlocks of some sort, I think it would be great for everyone. But I don't see this happening....
  • Options
    sassaroth13sassaroth13 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    exchange XP for Astral diamonds?
    I would love that.
  • Options
    jipatsujipatsu Member Posts: 94
    edited June 2013
    In guild wars there was this thing that when you hit max lvl, you started to gain respec points which you could use to respec your char when you had played for a while.

I mean in my suggestion is that when you get 1 xp bar full, you can move respec only 1 point to another for example. Not the whole power / feat tree. This way it still would be pay to save time.
  • Options
    hann1bal13hann1bal13 Member Posts: 50
    edited June 2013
    Most mmos offer extra currency in place of Xp when you hit cap. Would like to have a reason to go hit the final zone for quests since I reached cap before I got there.
  • Options
    meldrothmeldroth Member Posts: 137 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    grayimpact wrote: »
    This is not true at all, i don't remember which game it was, but I've played a MMO where if you reach max level, all future experience goes towards skill points to spend on the skills you have available.

This model wouldn't work in neverwinter, but saying that no MMO's do it is simply not true.
    Just because you think this makes no sense doesn't mean everybody else agrees.

It simply makes you look mean.

Runes of Magic has a system like that. The Talent Points.

Runes of Magic is a kind of an unbalanced game though... with lots of bugs and a demented XP system.

Liked the TP points though. :)
    "Truth is absolute, so if you truly seek it, you can find only one answer."
  • Options
    giggliatogiggliato Member Posts: 446 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    You can repeat quests for XP and loot if someone in your party shares the quest with you, I don't think it works for all quests though.
  • Options
    bracer2bracer2 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 566 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Agreed. I would suggest the wasted XP is dumped into professions some how, either altogether or a smaller %. Not sure where else it would go.
  • Options
    poac1poac1 Member Posts: 88
    edited June 2013

Actually many games use this, the pioneer I believe would go to the Everquest franchise. You would get critical spells & abilities early on in the game.

But at max level instead of doing the same round of quests everyday (dailies) you would go and get achievements like slayers, or hunters...and the xp could be used to get things like more damage on melee/spells more crit on melee/spells - further advance your character by instant activation abilities, heals, damage. Buffs, etc. You could even get the ability to turn a group buff into a raidwide mass group buff once every hour.

I for one prefer the above model over dailies, but a lot are brainwashed to think dailies is the only way.

The advantage of logging in and doing any activity that gains xp (slayers, hunters, dungeons, pvp, etc) and being able to forward that to a system to advance my character has clear advantages over the monotony of dailies in my eyes.
  • Options
    mennelonmennelon Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 41
    edited June 2013
    1 rough AD/100xp gained over 60 would be nice. Might get a couple hundred rough AD from a dungeon run, doesn't seem over the top just a nice little bonus.
  • Options
    gnominiongnominion Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 42
    edited June 2013

Actually, this statement is untrue. There is one MMO that actually makes use of the exp after max level. Everquest has a feature called AA (Alternate Advancement) points. These points can be used for a variety of things such as increasing stat points, lowering cool down of powers, increasing base movement speed, etc. there are hundreds of AA point types. They are grouped as generic AA's anyone can access, Racial and Class AA points and expansion pack AA points. It's actually the best end game design that I have ever seen. It gives you something to work towards while you wait for the next expansion / module. I would love to see other MMO's take a note from this book and make the end game worth while.
  • Options
    erethizon1erethizon1 Member Posts: 185 Arc User
    edited June 2013

Judging by the long list of poster that have quoted you and then said something to prove you wrong it would appear that making a blanket statement when you apparently have relatively little MMO experience under your belt doesn't work out so well. Who would have thought? Perhaps consider if your post contributes in any useful way to the topic before you post in the future.
  • Options
    erethizon1erethizon1 Member Posts: 185 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    gnominion wrote: »
    Actually, this statement is untrue. There is one MMO that actually makes use of the exp after max level. Everquest has a feature called AA (Alternate Advancement) points. These points can be used for a variety of things such as increasing stat points, lowering cool down of powers, increasing base movement speed, etc. there are hundreds of AA point types. They are grouped as generic AA's anyone can access, Racial and Class AA points and expansion pack AA points. It's actually the best end game design that I have ever seen. It gives you something to work towards while you wait for the next expansion / module. I would love to see other MMO's take a note from this book and make the end game worth while.

It's true that being stuck at a level cap with nothing to do but grind gear (that you know you are going to replace as soon as better gear is released) is one of the biggest reasons I leave games and never return. I don't know why it is so difficult for designers to realize that character progression should never stop (and I mean progression of the character, not progression of the clothes the character is temporarily wearing). If my character cannot improve then I have little desire to play. Some sort of AA at level cap should be in every game.
  • Options
    o0spoonman0oo0spoonman0o Member Posts: 31
    edited June 2013
    As stated. Everquest amongst other mmo's have the ability to progress your character past max level. EQ contains vastly more depth than this game could ever hope for. There's infinitely more to do at all levels of progression in that game. A real MMO is about a lot more than easy single player leveling to max and constant gear checks. Until 60 there's nothing to do but grind the same mechanics you've known since level 10 then once you get there it's more of the same mobs/boss mechanics you've been seeing with slightly different skins. If you've played a real MMO this one just feels really small and pointless at max.

More easy content with adds and easy to avoid red circles won't fix this, open your eyes and see this game for what it actually is. A quickly/poorly designed game aimed directly at getting as much money from you in as short a time as possible, *before* you figure out there's nothing there.
  • Options
    lonnehartlonnehart Member Posts: 846 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    You know... they could implement a system where you actually have to pay XP to craft magic items...
    *sings* "I like Gammera! He's so neat!!! He is full of turtle meat!!!"

"Hah! You are doomed! You're only armed with that pathetic excuse for a musical instrument!!!" *the Savage Beast moments before Lonnehart the Bard used music to soothe him... then beat him to death with his Fat Lute*
  • Options
    o0spoonman0oo0spoonman0o Member Posts: 31
    edited June 2013
    lonnehart wrote: »
    You know... they could implement a system where you actually have to pay XP to craft magic items...

This won't fix jack. Their trade skill system is nothing more than a ridiculously boring facebook game-no real worth can come from tying exp into this.
  • Options
    saucedborgsaucedborg Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2014

After all the examples of just how ignorant your statement was, let me offer yet another- Rift.
  • Options
    eldartheldarth Member Posts: 4,494 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    saucedborg wrote: »
    After all the examples of just how ignorant your statement was, let me offer yet another- Rift.

Master Necromancer resurrects a thread almost a year old. Bravo.
  • Options
    lewstelamon01lewstelamon01 Member Posts: 7,415 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Kelemvor, hear our pleas and return this thread to the grave from whence it came!!
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

Great Weapon Fighter: Because when is today not a good day to die?

PC and PS4 player. Proud Guildmaster for PS4 Team Fencebane. Rank 5 Officer for PC Team Fencebane. Visit us at http://fencebane.shivtr.com
This discussion has been closed.