test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

What will make the best Tier 2 GF set after the upcoming update?

meitranmeitran Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 30
edited June 2013 in The Militia Barracks
Until now the Timeless-set have been favored because you need the dps to be able to hold agro. With the upcoming patch they will try to fix the threat-issue, making it less important dealing high damage (so i hope).

My question is; Will the Timeless still be the best set for PvE Tier 2 dungeons from a tanking perspective?
Or will i be better suited with the High General set?
High general is really cheap on the AH, but i wonder if this may change after the patch as it may become more usefull.

Dealing damage is all good when it comes to pvp and solo pve, but what would make the best set in terms of damage migation/tanking? I would be willing to be useless in solo-pve as long as i do the best job possible in a group setting, and i can see the Timeless is not contributing that much to the defense stat.
Post edited by meitran on

Comments

• Options
    demonsunderdemonsunder Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 243 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Tanking = Stalwart's (Tier 1)
    DPS = Stalwart's (Tier 1) Thanks to increase aggro so you can keep it up
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Oceanic Neverwinter guild http://19thbattalion.com/home
    Breadbasket NW-DTYGYBRF2
  • Options
    meitranmeitran Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 30
    edited June 2013
    There are sets that bring alot more defense then the Stalwart's, and im not sure if the increased dmg from the stalwart set will be needed to keep agro after the patch.
  • Options
    penpenstarpenpenstar Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    stalwart has been a better choice in pve, people like me just prefer timeless bec its good and pve and is awesome in pvp (who the hell wants to get hit first in pvp anyway? Wanna watch those CWs free choke you and perma control you to death? Or those TRs freely cast lashing blade then daze on you to death?)

Still sticking with stalwart but I might get a grand regent just for Pve
  • Options
    demonsunderdemonsunder Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 243 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    I have grand regent, and find it lackluster compared to stalwarts, tanking is far easier although you take a little more damage about 3% getting aggro is far far easier.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Breadbasket NW-DTYGYBRF2
  • Options
    vagdushvagdush Member Posts: 52
    edited June 2013
    Most tanks only worry about getting higher in the paingiver list. Just wear the armor set that matches your build. If you're going turtle, wear the def/def set.
  • Options
    vetcorevetcore Member Posts: 35 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Any tier 2 armor will be better for tanking , the AC stat is the best stat for tanking stalwart and timeless are hyped and overpriced imo i got the high gen set and i am about to get full grand regend too , the set buffs are far better for group-raid situations High General = 10% critical severity for 8 secs every time u crit , Grand regent 20% power from your defence aka when u buff def u rise power also stack very good with the ancient weapon and shield 450 def and 450 from grand 2 items set i think u cant go more tankier than this , stalwart and timelless are pvp dps sets ideal for conqueror builds.
    PS.As for agro use knighs challenge on any boss or mob.He will come for u even if u wear full white items , cause u debuff him for -50%(!) dmg to any target of your group/raid tested and working up to CN 4/4.
  • Options
    c45hcr0pc45hcr0p Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 45
    edited June 2013
    They all should be viable. As an aside, Grand Regent Helm went from 250k this Saturday to 800k to 1.1M this Sunday.

Not really an indicator of worth, just be aware that price gouging is going to take place even in anticipation of this patch.
    cylisbrex wrote: »
    ...I love the rectal based combat...

Reticle not rectal. :)
  • Options
    desjardiniidesjardinii Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 193 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Everyone talks about the increased DPS you get from the stalwarts when it procs. While that is a good chunk for the GF, how do you think the Knight captains set would compare. You give up your DPS boost in exchange for a 60% boos in power for the REST of the group. I would think that the overall group DPS would rise greater than the individual tanks DPS. Add to that you are also increasing their defense, it might help keep them up a bit longer until you can collect up any hard hitting adds. Thoughts?
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    vetcore wrote: »
    Any tier 2 armor will be better for tanking , the AC stat is the best stat for tanking stalwart and timeless are hyped and overpriced imo i got the high gen set and i am about to get full grand regend too , the set buffs are far better for group-raid situations High General = 10% critical severity for 8 secs every time u crit , Grand regent 20% power from your defence aka when u buff def u rise power also stack very good with the ancient weapon and shield 450 def and 450 from grand 2 items set i think u cant go more tankier than this , stalwart and timelless are pvp dps sets ideal for conqueror builds.
    PS.As for agro use knighs challenge on any boss or mob.He will come for u even if u wear full white items , cause u debuff him for -50%(!) dmg to any target of your group/raid tested and working up to CN 4/4.

I have a 13k GF (and every other class) fully geared in some of the best gear in the game currently. I wear stalwart's

High General is no good for Tank specced tanks unless you stack a ton of Cit, giving up alot defensive stats's/rec
    Grand Regent (I have this set too) the 20% power buff is nice but with stalwarts I gain 8,800 More power than grand regents at a loss of 3% Mit (this included the +1 AC on the chest over stalwart's) the upgrade from t1 to t2 isn't as much as you think.

the duel 2 set can be good but you lose too much aggro gain for a minimal about of Mit, I have issues holding against a 13k Geared rogue without stalwart's with it, no issues.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Breadbasket NW-DTYGYBRF2
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    U can stack crit on the offence slots actually instead of power you dont give up defence there as for agro is not about the dps is about buffing your dps with more agro.High gen is a nice group buffer and its cheap grand regend imo is ideal for main tank situations buffing defence and deflection wih a very good power buff from overall.Anyway thats my point of view i will choose grand regent with ancient full set for future content.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    I have full grand, I lose threat gen from the power lose and only gain 3% MIT because of the soft cap's

And who stacks power? you lose Rec, so slower CD's on your encounter's = less Threat gain for 10% which most players are already hit crit caps, the power buff set is very nice, but I find it hard to tank against well geared player's (I'm talking 12k+) for Pug's its fine but with min/maxer's it can be troublesome.

Soft cap's for GF's
    4k Def
    2k Deflection
    3k Rec
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Breadbasket NW-DTYGYBRF2
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    What do u mean soft caps? i got 5.4 k defence.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    See Forum http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?218211-Defense-Deflection-and-Damage-reduction-(GF)/page2

Basically, after 4k you get diminishing return's yes it add's but less and less as you add more.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Breadbasket NW-DTYGYBRF2
  • Options
    kargisterkargister Member Posts: 51 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    You gain 3% mit and around 1.something regen, 1+% deflection too I think it was using Regent over Stalwart. The big loss of course is in the set bonus Power. That said, with the extra threat we now have I'm not so sure that will matter much.

I came across a cleric on the test server. She was fighting several mobs and they had all been hit a few times plus she had healed herself. One simple cleave had them all turned my way. Not much of a "test" true, but if it bears up our threat problems are over. And that was with a Protector build not Conqueror. I dunno, guess we'll see come the 20th for sure.
  • Options
    mhblis1mhblis1 Member Posts: 167 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    I have some quick question for those with the party buff sets.

1. Do those have a range on how far the buff gets applied or is it instance wide.
    For example if you doing Mad Dragon and you tank him on one side of the room and the party is on the other do they still get the buff applied or do they need to be closer.

I've been finding that Into the Fray has such a range limiter and as such reduces it's usefulness in some places. For those interested the first two phases of Spell Plague is too wide for this buff to be applied from end to end.

2. Is it applied until the time runs out or does it drop off once they get a certain distance from you?