Hilarious GWF replacement

l0th4ri0l0th4ri0 Member Posts: 589 Arc User
edited June 2013 in The Militia Barracks
Try this:

1. Roll a GF
2. Don't equip a shield
3. Enjoy your increased ability to DPS and AoE damage over your old GWF

LOL

The Villain's Menace daily functions as your Unstoppable... have fun! :)
Post edited by l0th4ri0 on

Comments

• johnygwapojohnygwapo Member Posts: 442 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    stupidity....................
  • l0th4ri0l0th4ri0 Member Posts: 589 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    johnygwapo wrote: »
    stupidity....................

Yes, it was intended to be humorous -- not trolling or serious in any way.

Ask yourself if I'm wrong, though... could a shieldless GF outperform the GWF? :)
  • deotaydeotay Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I lol'ed a little.
  • th0rfinnth0rfinn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 119 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    This is true.
  • s3z3s3z3 Member Posts: 216 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    l0th4ri0 wrote: »
    Ask yourself if I'm wrong, though... could a shieldless GF outperform the GWF? :)

Same level of equip and proper CW in a party - never.
    Carnage TR Dragon shard - retired? hell yea it's retired along with Nevewinter

Seze - Rogue - Necropolis - <3 RIFT
  • kyuubiilkyuubiil Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 59
    edited June 2013
    s3z3 wrote: »
    Same level of equiip and proper CW in a party - never.

You are correct, sort of. A GF in WORSE gear would out dps a gwf. Best guardian dps set is a t1 defensive set.

Honestly my main is a gwf and as much as I'd love to say this is true it's just... Not. A good cw actually makes the gap bigger in the favor of the GF. Why? Cleave. Hits harder than wicked strike, and doesn't decrease damage per target past the first like gwf at–wills

Edit: So my phone literally just deleted the entire post. Rather than try and type it again I'll just repost when I get home but TLDR. Cleave hits like a truck but has a smaller hit arc and so takes advantage OF AS gfs have 65% damage easily accessible and a 100% power boost from capstone, and one of their t1 defensive sets gives 25% of their hp as power so they can easily hit the 13k range. Gfs are scary when specced and built properly.
  • s3z3s3z3 Member Posts: 216 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    kyuubiil wrote: »
    You are correct, sort of. A GF in WORSE gear would out dps a gwf. Best guardian dps set is a t1 defensive set.

Honestly my main is a gwf and as much as I'd love to say this is true it's just... Not. A good cw actually makes the gap bigger in the favor of the GF. Why? Cleave. Hits harder than wicked strike, and doesn't decrease damage per target past the first like gwf at

Sounds good. I like my gear cheap and my party looking like 'O.O - that dps, stop cheating'. My constant party TR is anc daggers\GP etc\swash. I do more damage overall per run =) Every GWF out there who knows how to beat even TR in overall dmg knows what i'm talking about :P but yeah.. Great Noodle Fighter can use like 50% dmg boots ^__________________^
    Carnage TR Dragon shard - retired? hell yea it's retired along with Nevewinter

Seze - Rogue - Necropolis - <3 RIFT
  • agbadehanagbadehan Member Posts: 74
    edited June 2013
    So what y'all are saying is GF hits harder than GWF?
    edited June 2013
    Haha, I started a shieldless GF last night...

I'm lvl 17 now. Been skipping skirmishes and dungeons so as to not inflict my joke character on innocent players. I haven't missed block yet -- if you know the mob AI, sprint is unnecessary as well. You can just push past elites who are in the middle of their wind-ups and when you barely get behind them, out come the Cleaves... you don't even have to turn around to face them. Also, Griffons can interrupt casters who throw down rings, etc. The GF encounters just wallop... I think that's the primary reason they are easier to drive than GWFs. I hardly ever use my dailies, and when I do its more out of a sense wanting a change of pace than from any dire need.

I haven't died yet, of course... the early game is pretty easy. I'm sure I'll be wishing for a shield later, but right now this is a fun diversion from the tediousness of playing my GWF. :)
  • penpenstarpenpenstar Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    what benefits does a shieldless gf have? can you equip a 2nd sword or something>
    edited June 2013
    agbadehan wrote: »
    So what y'all are saying is Gf hitsharder than GWF?

Yes. As a whole. also Cleaves is a 5 target aoe that doesn't lose 15% damage per target past the first like gwf ages AND hits harder than wicked strike on Live, and that's before all the flat damage increases they get from passives and feats.

Then there is lunging strike which hits harder than ibs and with a decent amount of recovery has a 6 second cd, so they're also respectable single target..
    edited June 2013
    penpenstar wrote: »
    what benefits does a shieldless gf have? can you equip a 2nd sword or something>

Nothing it's a joke. Shield adds 8-9 ac and bonus stats no damage. The joke is you go shield less and then pretend your longsword is a half lings great sword and giggle as you do 13 mil per run
  • tarmalentarmalen Member Posts: 1,020 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Please keep us in the loop. I think it would actually benefit GWF if you were able to run to 60 without a shield and doing more DPS.

GWF is supposed to be a monster in the middle of a pack of mobs. Body parts should fly everywhere. GWF should do more damage than ANY class in the game when they are facing a large pack of enemies in MELEE range. I am not advocating the GF get nerfed. I am stating that GWF should get a % INCREASE depending on AMOUNT of mobs hit.

Means I should have listened to my instincts the night I rolled my first toon and it came down to GF and GWF.
    edited June 2013
    But a series of animation canceled WMS packs quite a wallop, basically the only reason I didn't re-roll as a GF after making my second toon (a GWF) was because when I hit 35 and started animation canceling WMS I had to keep going. It looks pretty neat and shreds trash mobs. I'll probably roll a GF for my third character. They seem pretty neat.

But, seriously, animation canceled WMS is pretty god-like. Though, I don't doubt GF does everything better when the cheese is removed from the picture.
  • derresshderressh Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    kyuubiil wrote: »
    Shield adds 8-9 ac and bonus stats no damage

Shield of the Crusher.
    edited June 2013
    Taking a break from playing for a minute...

Just shy of lvl 22 now, still no deaths. Not even really close actually. I may have hit half health when I took out the bandit Hexer boss in the sea caves at Blackdagger Ruins. I did actually pop a daily for that fight. Otherwise, smooth sailing... as some of y'all have noted, Cleave just ruins everything very quickly -- and now that I have 3 charges on Griffon, the elites are melting in record time under the onslaught.

I'm running with Lunge/Kneebreaker/Griffon's Wrath and also have Villain's Menace/Terrifying Smash (or whatever that KD skill is called, I forget right now lol) with Combat Superiority and Enhanced Mark slotted. I expect to roll right over the Blackdagger Keep and make all the pirate thugs my girlfriends in very short order. :)
    edited June 2013
    Update:

Level 29, just cleared Clockwork Tombs and finished out Neverdeath Graveyard zone. Still no issues from not having block or sprint available, and I think it might actually be helping me play better. I am now very careful where I plant myself before letting off a barrage of attacks, and I don't overcommit my timing by staying in one place for too long where I could just throw up my shield or dash out of there like normal.

I have not gotten anywhere near to dying yet, and my stash of health pots is now tremendous. LOL But this is still very early game, and I would expect no differently at this point. Still, all things considered, this shieldless GF is getting to be very fun to play. I miss my gigantic sword, but playing through this self-nerfed character is really showing me where the GWF is lacking tactical ability. I blame the "meh" encounter powers of our GWF class the most. In contrast, this GF is a machine that just churns out encounter after encounter and burns down everything in its path.

At 30 I'm thinking of switching out Kneebreaker for the Anvil, just for more burst damage on the elites. My feat build is extremely generic DPS stuff... nothing tricky going on there. I'll be going straight down Conqueror for paragon feats, and will end up with a quite bland level 60, I would imagine... assuming I get that far. :)

Stay tuned, more on the way.
    edited June 2013
    Level 35:

Still no issues. Cleared Helmshold with no problems... finally had to use a health pot on the last boss and pop a couple dailies though -- my companion went down midway thru the fight when she got caught in an add swarm.

FYI, Threatening Rush works even without a shield equipped. You cannot block/guard or shield bash, but you can still Rush.

Got a taste for how Ebon Downs will be before I took a break and posted this. Probably gonna pwn that area too, but we'll see.
    edited June 2013
    Also, if anybody else is playing a shieldless GF (ahem), feel free to post in here with your thoughts/observations and funny things you've seen/done. Yes, this is kinda a joke thread in that nobody in their right mind plays like this seriously, but there's no reason we can't have some fun with this concept.
  • keobiaakeobiaa Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    My mains are GWF and GF(Dps) and i've done CN more times than I can count, to be honest in terms of raw AoE output they're almost identical. GF obliterates gwf in single target though, lunging/knights challenge/knee breaker(swapped to anvil of doom sub 25%) is probably 2x what GWF can pull.

Leveling the GF(shield or no shield) is obviously a much easier experience as it takes a lot to get GWF going, but hopefully the myriad of buffs next patch will help smooth that out.
    edited June 2013
    keobiaa wrote: »
    My mains are GWF and GF(Dps) and i've done CN more times than I can count, to be honest in terms of raw AoE output they're almost identical. GF obliterates gwf in single target though, lunging/knights challenge/knee breaker(swapped to anvil of doom sub 25%) is probably 2x what GWF can pull.

This has been my experience too. I'd say slightly more AoE than GWF -- not much at all -- and WAYYY more single target. I'm not using KC, but I put 3 charges on griffon's, and it just synergizes really well with Lunge/Anvil for burning down elite mobs, who are really the only things that get in my way. The trash just falls apart when I start Cleaving, so they're not really an issue, even without a shield.

While running through helmshold, I came across a pair of players who were getting nailed by one of those huge pit fiends. They were nearly dead, chugging pots and struggling to get free of the casters/elites that had swarmed them while fighting the big guy. I lunged the caster, 3X griffons, a couple of cleaves, dead. Lunge was back up already, so launched over to the next elite... cleave, cleave, anvil -- dead. By now the other players had regrouped and started firing back and in a matter of moments the field was clear. One of them asked me: "Hey, where's your shield, man?" LOL
    edited June 2013
    Yeah, AoE damage is about the same but there is honestly no comparison when it comes to single target damage. GF is just better.