test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

What is the design intent for Soothing Light and Bastion of Health?

madqhuemadqhue Member Posts: 58 Arc User
Can some developer, ideally the person who works on combat abilities, explain what the game design intent is for these two Cleric spells?

Soothing Light uses Divine Power and yet returns incredibly low healing to the extent that using ANY other heal is a better use of time. It would be okay as a Divine Power builder or if it did not consume Divine Power as a base ability and allowed the talent which allows non damaging spells to increase DP to function. In this case it could become an At-Will heal as a counterpoint to the existing At-Will attacks which have healing side effects.

Bastion of Health heals for 25% of a single potion and yet has a 20 second cooldown. With that long of a cooldown it should pretty much be nearly a full heal for anyone in the area of effect...as it is the only use for this ability seems to be to trigger the proc of other more interesting talents.

I cannot possibly imagine that either of these abilities is functioning as intended, even their tooltip text seems to indicate these should both be incredibly useful abilities rather than worthless ones, so what is up?

It would be good to have some regular communication with the developers regarding these sorts of issues, especially given the glacial update cycle.
Post edited by madqhue on

Comments

• Options
    uncannyluckuncannyluck Member Posts: 50
    edited June 2013
    I would enjoy some insight too.
  • Options
    pednickpednick Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Why even use that Soothing light, aren't clerics in guides saying it really doesn't do anything?
    Be a Leet D00D, can't think of something smart? Always blame the economy.
  • Options
    griennegrienne Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 149 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    pednick wrote: »
    Why even use that Soothing light, aren't clerics in guides saying it really doesn't do anything?

Clerics only use SL as an accident because they forgot to come out of Divine Mode lol
  • Options
    leillannaleillanna Member Posts: 171 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Ughh, I hate when I miss a thumb tap on tab and end up sapping divinty using punishing light...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Eilistraee zhal zuch tlu wun ussta xukuth.
  • Options
    mastersputnik666mastersputnik666 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Well, in my eyes, is the entire problem "Pay-2-Win" Principe, the game is design around it, and specially in the healing department. the game in patch state, is not intended to keep people alive, just alone with the Cleric's ****uppercrap healing abilities. In the current patch will success or fail, be highly dependable of how willing the party (people) are willing to use potions every 12sec to keep em self alive. and by that also in the long run spending RL money for just to, be able to complete/run normal instance.......personally I dislike this form of game design by heart, I can understand many of the aspect of the Zen-point system, but this is just to much, if a Perfect World will go live, with the current patch. THEY WILL LOSE PEOPLE, not only Clerics who re-roll, but RL people who simply will start to look els where, for there mmofix - Skyrim....Wildstar....anyone, so Dev. if you read this and the thousand of other posts about this issue, then please reconsider, how greedy you actually want to be, and if it's worth it, in the long run.
  • Options
    daervondaervon Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Well, I don't know about the devs being greedy or not... Personally, I know that if a game comes down to the point where I have to spend money to even be able to complete normal content I'll simply stop playing, not go spend money on it...

To clarify, I've got no problem whatsoever buying stuff in a game -- mounts, appearance items, even gear is acceptable to some degree... But being forced to buy stuff just for the everyday encounters? F*** that and good riddance.

I mean, seriously, in the end if it's a matter of money, then leave the f2p model for levels 1-50, and then for 50-60 put in a subscription. I'll pay $15 a month to have a good, balanced game that I can enjoy.
  • Options
    madqhuemadqhue Member Posts: 58 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Trying to bring this back onto topic:

It is correct that people only use Soothing and Punishing Light by accident, which is really the reason for this open question to the development team. Why bother even having the abilities if there is absolutely no purpose for them? It seems that a large portion of the challenges regarding the stacking/cooldown/effectivity of Astral Shield are the direct result of the lack of other valid healing / defensive tools. Yet here we have two nominal heals that seem to have no purpose.
  • Options
    deistikdeistik Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 658 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    I made this thread about the soothing/punishing light issue - if they'd let them scale with power a little (read: a lot) better, then they wouldn't be so, SO terrible.

Bastion of Health needs to have a base cooldown of ~15 seconds, and either a big boost to it's base heal, or a better power coefficient. Honestly, even if it just had a lower cooldown, I'd probably still use it (w/ Warding Shield feat).
  • Options
    kevinf08kevinf08 Member Posts: 432 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    I have used soothing light effectively at times. If the target already has healing word on him, standing in blue circle and i've alright hit him with sunburst and he still isn't healed enough, I can use soothing light.

Then again I dind't cookie cut my cleric and I have quite a bit of divine power generation so I have some to spare.

Could use a small buff though yeah.
  • Options
    griennegrienne Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 149 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    kevinf08 wrote: »
    I have used soothing light effectively at times. If the target already has healing word on him, standing in blue circle and i've alright hit him with sunburst and he still isn't healed enough, I can use soothing light.

Then again I dind't cookie cut my cleric and I have quite a bit of divine power generation so I have some to spare.

Could use a small buff though yeah.

Did you read what you wrote.

He is in AS, has HW, and SB on him.

Cookie cutter? Lol I am practically positive you haven't reinvented the wheel on this one :/