test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Major Patch Really, Really Slow

bozar3000bozar3000 Member Posts: 74
edited March 2014 in Bug Reports (PC)
Great news that the Major Updates are here... on the other hand, it is painstakingly slow. My internet speed is 3 mbps but the patch is at snail's pace. Is there any conflict going on especially that a lot players are patching their client all at the same time? Man, I want to participate in DD before it ends but if I stopped the patch it goes back frustratingly to 0%, just like what happened earlier.
Post edited by bozar3000 on

Comments

• Options
    pappacubepappacube Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Yea I didn't think this patch was coming so soon? I mean they just put this up on a test server right?
    Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out
    how far one can go. --T.S. Eliot
  • Options
    dardovedardove Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    pappacube wrote: »
    Yea I didn't think this patch was coming so soon? I mean they just put this up on a test server right?

It's a prepatch download with what is on the test server. It will minimize what you need to download come patch day.

And while the percent shown does go back to 0%, that is 0% of whatever is left. So if you have 3gbs to download, download 1gb before closing the launcher, it will be 2gb remaining the next time the launcher comes up after you close the game next time.
  • Options
    undeadcrabbundeadcrabb Member Posts: 544 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Even with my internet speed, it is quite slow. But on the other hand - Yey, an update! wheeee!!! :)
    Folow me on Deviant art! ;)
  • Options
    avot91avot91 Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I downlaod in like 20 kbit/s with my 100 mbit/s fiber....... I'm going emo here :(
  • Options
    ndhappyndhappy Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Checking to disable on-demand patching in the options menu solved this problem for me.
  • Options
    grimtoothgrimtooth Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    don't the info being downloaded is used in the game yet until the 20th it just stores on your hard drive.
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited June 2013
    There's a lot of people downloading it all at once so, yes, it is kind of a slow download but it doesn't need to be completed now and you can cancel at any time. The launcher will save its download completion. :)

Overall this will improve the experience you guys have on patch day. Imagine if this was only available or downloaded after the game required it? Eeek! ;)
  • Options
    fyendiarfyendiar Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 39
    edited June 2013
    It started to speed up later on for me so the 1.6gb patch was downloaded, started the game to check if everything worked and close it again.

And then the launcher opened up again and started downloading a 3gb on top of the 1.6gb patch I just finished!

*so confused*

quick edit: it seems to go fast though, already 10% while I typed the above alone. I hope that will continue until the end. :)
  • Options
    hellsviperhellsviper Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Is it really that slow? I'm on my laptop on wireless and i'm downloading at 2mb/s O.o Jumps between 2/3 mb/s
  • Options
    rottenyourottenyou Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Right now I have 38 mb left to download and it takes an hour to download a megabit..this is just bull.
  • Options
    mosallamosalla Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    As mentioned in some other place, do two things:
    1. In patcher options check "Disable on-demand patching"
    2. Open Internet Explorer. Go to Tools/Internet Options/Connections Tab/LAN Settings button and unselect "Automatically detect settings" checkbox (and any other on this page). path can be a bit different depending on OS.
    This can speed up patching.
    PS. Unfortunately there is no warranty.
  • Options
    mosallamosalla Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    But less and less to download right?
    It started to work fast for me just now.
  • Options
    cassypurpleturtlcassypurpleturtl Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    -_- I clicked on cancel on the patch, like you guys said I can and it started me all over.... -__-
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited March 2014
    Beck, quite the necro here. Please do not post on threads which have not been posted on in over 30 days. :)

This thread is about a prepatch and not standard patching. Prepatches as this thread discussed are for big updates such as new modules.

However before I close this up let me clarify what happens when you cancel a patch attempt:

When you first start patching it will say you need to download 100 MB (for the sake of Numbers) of data.
    If you download 60 MB it will say you are 60% done.

If you cancel the patch the next time it starts it will display 0% of 40 MB.

It does not start from the beginning. The 0% is for the remainder of any patching required.
This discussion has been closed.