test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Is it safe to stop the patch?

klixanklixan Member Posts: 447 Bounty Hunter
edited June 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
There's a skirmish I'd like to run in and hour or so. But my patch is only 16% complete, so there's no way it'll be finished in time for the skirmish.

Somebody said, if you close the launcher and restart it, you stop the patch and can start the game normally. Is it ok to do this?

Can I resume the patch download when I've finished the skirmish? And if so, how do I do this?

Thanks muchly.
Post edited by klixan on

Comments

• Options
    n1451n1451 Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Just saw this, patch size is a gig, is this normal?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    remariusprimeremariusprime Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Its worse it will re-start the patch when you go back to the launcher so I was wondering just that. :(
  • Options
    remariusprimeremariusprime Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Just tested it - you can x out and when you come back in its ok. :p
  • Options
    hippomousehippomouse Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 61
    edited June 2013
    The lack of information on this patch is incredible!! I am on 58% its been doing it for an hour and so if I exit will I be able to get back in with no probs as remarius has said but if do that when will it patch again and how much bigger will it be lol
  • Options
    rew1ndrrew1ndr Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I HAVE to have on-demand patching disabled to play - and so my patch is 3Gb big...

That's not the bad part - I've been patching for SIX HOURS and have only done 30%....

:(
  • Options
    cyn15cyn15 Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I tried this and it bloody restarted the patch from scratch
    FFS
    Guild - Synergy, Australia
    SW - Lanfear, GWF - Krivnaar, OP - K'aathorn, DC - Allegria, CW - Mierin Eronaille
  • Options
    fakatikfakatik Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 151 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    cyn15 wrote: »
    I tried this and it bloody restarted the patch from scratch
    FFS

Are you sure? I find that when I close my launcher while patching and restart it again the patch size shown is smaller than before. And it also seems to me that the patcher doesn't download the entire MBs shown in the size. That looks to be the uncompressed size of the patch.
    Aireina | Ashter | King Baldric | Oranges | Hello | Mikalin
  • Options
    imivoimivo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,682 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    cyn15 wrote: »
    I tried this and it bloody restarted the patch from scratch FFS

It is only the percentage that starts at zero, but that is only the percentage of what is left to download. If you had 1 of 3 GB and you restart, it will continue at 0 percent of the two gigs, not three.
    Unsure about skills and feats? Check the Master List of Class Builds!
  • Options
    rhymfaxerhymfaxe Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 101 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    I would think it would be pretty obvious that you can't play without the latest version...

Anyway, the patch resumes where it left off when you restart the launcher.
  • Options
    blaumkerblaumker Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 75
    edited June 2013
    They really ought to put a note(in-game mail+right on the patcher) to announce that they're doing stuff like this.

When I exited out and decided to hop back in, the dang launcher popped up twice and one of them started downloading something(the patch, as it turns out)! Seeing as how I'm an internet savvy sort, a window popping up behind another window and proceeding to download something isn't the kind of thing I'd keep running---rather, it's time to change passwords from different computer and run intensive virus scans to root out the backdoor that just created this situation.

After hopping on ye-olde forum, it becomes obvious that this is an intended behavior but.....yeah, don't just surprise a guy like that, Cryptic!
  • Options
    kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,440 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    rhymfaxe wrote: »
    I would think it would be pretty obvious that you can't play without the latest version...

Except it's the patch for the test realm/pre-patch for the Big Release thing. So you can play right now without it.
  • Options
    klixanklixan Member Posts: 447 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Well, I hope it resumes from where it left off, cause my launcher just crashed (after 6 hours of downloading):(
  • Options
    mconosrepmconosrep Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    kiralyn wrote: »
    Except it's the patch for the test realm/pre-patch for the Big Release thing. So you can play right now without it.

This works, thanks. Remove the check-box on Disable On-Demand patching and you can play. Just remember to enable it before you go to sleep so you can pre-download the patch overnight.
  • Options
    fliksfliks Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    My launcher crashed as well after 4 hours of downloading. And it restarted from scratch... :(
    I'll try again tonight.
    With a patch that huge, it really should be able to resume where it left off.
  • Options
    rood4everrood4ever Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    imivo wrote: »
    It is only the percentage that starts at zero, but that is only the percentage of what is left to download. If you had 1 of 3 GB and you restart, it will continue at 0 percent of the two gigs, not three.

Good shout since I was really wondering why it was at zero percent again. Didn't notice the size of the patch.
  • Options
    odinspathodinspath Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    pre-patched

The opposite of on-demand patching, you can stop these patch's and play as it will just use on-demand patching.

All patching even if partially completed should be stored in a temp file until complete then it will be implemented (I cant say for Never Winter Specifically but its the general method used.)

I hope this helps.

Thanks Odin