test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Icy Terrain: Is it even slowing the mobs?

archomentalarchomental Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 138 Bounty Hunter
edited June 2013 in The Library
Ive been playing around with Icy Terrain, mainly on the bosses
with mass adds. Unless my eye is not catching it, the spell
doesn't seem to slow anything down. The speed looks the same.

Anyone know if this does indeed work, and if so, Im much the slow
is? Definitely doesn't seem to make a difference in terms of mobs
overrunning someone.
Post edited by archomental on

Comments

• barambalnwnbarambalnwn Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    It's barely noticeable, but it does slow enemies as they gain Chill stacks. Also, Icy Terrain area of effect is actually smaller than what its visual effect shows.

(On a side note: Icy Terrain doesn't deal critical damage and doesn't generate Action Points. I've been playing with it for a while and loved it, but it ended up not being an 'optimal' choice in general).
  • archomentalarchomental Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 138 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Oh wow, thanks for the advice. Didn't realize it cant crit and doesn't give AP!
  • ramiauramiau Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I saw this recent thread about it, seems interesting for the topic here about icy & ap gain, but the research itself the OP was trying to do asking other CW's to provide their testings could be interesting to participate/opine (my wizard is in low 30 levels so i cant provide useful information)

http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?312912-Icy-Terrain-Action-Points-and-how-to-cast-13-Black-Holes-in-14mins-(inPvP)
  • honoraryorangehonoraryorange Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Icy Terrain does indeed give Action Points, it sucks at slowing mobs but it can and will freeze them in place. It also gives multiple stacks of the Shadow Weave set bonus.
  • lupita170lupita170 Member Posts: 122 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Oh wow, thanks for the advice. Didn't realize it cant crit and doesn't give AP!

It absolutely gives AP, but the damage and slow are bad, the only reason to use it is to cheese the 4-pc Shadow Weaver Buff.
  • barambalnwnbarambalnwn Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I just did some more testing at the training dummy, and I was partially wrong.
    The first cast of Icy Terrain still doesn't give any AP, while it grants 8-9% AP against controlled targets (either stunned or frozen, I'm guessing due to the Controlling Action feat). The fact it only gives AP under those conditions doesn't make it a reliable spell, in my opinion.
  • honoraryorangehonoraryorange Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    lupita170 wrote: »
    It absolutely gives AP, but the damage and slow are bad, the only reason to use it is to cheese the 4-pc Shadow Weaver Buff.

Can also be used in PVP to find those pesky stealthed TRs. Drop it down when you see one disappear and dodge as soon as you hear anything or see numbers pop up.
  • tyrtallowtyrtallow Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 747 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Icy Terrain is a synergy spell (ie, it was designed to complement certain builds or powers like Conduit of Ice). This should be obvious seeing as the only real benefit of this spell is that it allows you to stack chill very quickly on everything standing on it. It also procs Storm Spell a lot. Since Icy Terrain is considered a control spell it is also one of the very few spells affected by the Archmage Set, which means it is potentially (very) spammable. On that note, multiple Icy Terrains do stack and their combined effects will constantly freeze adds in the area.

The slow may not seem noticeable (especially with low chill stacks) but it's there, and it helps a lot if you drop it inside a cleric's AS. If you have the Archmage's Set or the right build/powers you can spam Icy Terrain on AS to constantly freeze mobs/slow them, resulting in a very happy cleric. It's one of the few ways to efficiently control mobs when there's no bottomless pit/edge nearby.
    You there. New to the game? Feeling overwhelmed? Maybe you think getting to end-game is impossible for a casual player like yourself, or maybe you just need to be around a community that helps each other stay sane and competitive with the latest news, current trends, random chitchat and most of all LEGIT (that is, we try to keep things fair) gameplay. If you don't mind being around quirky people and the rare occasional drama (one of our prominent TR members is apparently a mafia godfather) join nw_legit_community at http://www.nwlegitcommunity.shivtr.com/forum_threads/2330542.
  • oronessoroness Member Posts: 378 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    The problem is that most mobs seem to move at 10000000000000000000000000000000000% mov spd while you move at 100%-110% mov spd.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I want this class in NW. :o
  • uniqueuseriduniqueuserid Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    It does and doesn't give AP. You can get AP every time providing you cast it within 1-second or immediately after casting any offensive encounter (not shield, but yes to Shield Pop). It gives good AP too and as mentioned procs the Storm Spell well.
    ramiau wrote: »
    I saw this recent thread about it, seems interesting for the topic here about icy & ap gain, but the research itself the OP was trying to do asking other CW's to provide their testings could be interesting to participate/opine (my wizard is in low 30 levels so i cant provide useful information)

http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?312912-Icy-Terrain-Action-Points-and-how-to-cast-13-Black-Holes-in-14mins-(inPvP)

Any level wizard data is fine by me, it's not just end game stuff I wanna test, I just reached level 40... long way to go. But I think I might remake the thread at lv60. I think there might be a lot more lv60's on the board.