test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Holy HAMSTER, the Heavy Howler noises are INCREDIBLY annoying

kromzorkromzor Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 2 Arc User
edited June 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
And by "Fix" I mean do something about their incredibly loud and obnoxious snarling they do every 5 seconds.

Gotta instance hop just to use the AH, or mute my volume. And you can hear them from so far away too...
Post edited by kromzor on

Comments

• articulatefoolarticulatefool Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'm pretty sure there are actual bugs to squash.

It's a HOWLER. I would assume it would be loud.
  • jackpepper7jackpepper7 Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    kromzor wrote: »
    And by "Fix" I mean do something about their incredibly loud and obnoxious snarling they do every 5 seconds

I agree with this.
  • therealdestiantherealdestian Member Posts: 92
    edited May 2013
    I'm not sure who decided that mounts should be loud and annoying...
  • slaughterfallslaughterfall Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I purchased the Heavy Howler shortly after hitting level 20. While I love the mount's appearance, the sound effects make me want to puncture my eardrums with a drill. This freakin' thing sounds like a cat trying to cough up a hairball comprised entirely of gravel, and it makes that sound far too frequently.

If it was relegated to special emotes or circumstances (like the animation that plays when you press jump while standing still) then it'd be fine. The problem is that I have to listen to it constantly whenever I'm just trying to browse the auctions/check my mail/wait for my party to show up, and my only option to stop the noise is to get off of my mount. When I pay $40 for a digital product I want to use it freely, not be compelled by its poor design to use it in a way that's more restrictive than the items I could've had for free. I never ONCE had to dismount when I was riding a horse, but now if I don't get off of the Howler I can barely concentrate on whatever I'm doing because the sound is far too loud to qualify as "background noise."

I really hope PWE/Cryptic look into changing this. I've had several people remark on how irritating the noise is, so I know I'm not the only one here. I've tried adjusting my volume options but unfortunately the noise is tied to the FX volume so if I turn that down I can't hear important gameplay noises either.
  • rood4everrood4ever Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Serves you right, that noise is indeed SO ******* ANNOYING that I always turn of my sound when in Protecter's Enclave.
    But...it was done on purpose, the frequency, the volume, the sound and the range in which you can hear it. They want peopl to 'take notice' and think 'ooh I want I mount like that aswell'.

Well there you go. Congrats!
  • fanelitefanelite Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    The real problem of this mount is that it produces no sound of footsteps when she is running ... for 40 euros I would at least have this detail ^^
    edited June 2013
    As i said in an other thread, the real problem of this mount is that it produces no sound of footsteps when it is running ... for 40 euros I would at least have this detail ^^
  • zeromatrix01zeromatrix01 Member Posts: 82
    edited June 2013
    Every time there is a hvy howler around when I'm browsing the auctions, I transfer map instances because that growl just bugs the hell out of me.
  • jihancritiasjihancritias Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Know what's annoying to me, thirty mounts huddled around the auctioneer or mailbox.
    TL : DR? Then don't waste my time responding.
  • chai23chai23 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    That spider mount that pukes up web vomit all over the place is annoying too. Each time there are multiple spider mounts around I look to see if some fat kid is standing there with his arms crossed completely content with the barf-o-rama he just created.
  • zedfighterzedfighter Member Posts: 93 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    If I'm idling by one, I need to move right away. It gets annoying that fast.
    It's yet another top notch development decision to go along with the rest outstanding game aspects.
    edited June 2013
    I hope sincerely cryptic will notice our advice and do somethings, at least make it scream every minutes , not every seconds ^^
    (and add sounds for footstep)
  • grokcgrokc Member Posts: 41
    edited June 2013
    My 40$ mounts snarling noises are soooooo annoying...1st world problems.
  • melodywhrmelodywhr Member Posts: 4,220 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    you complain about the repeating howler noise but standing for any length of time near a campfire, you have to hear the NPCs repeat the same dialog... it's annoying if you focus on it. i bought a howler and i love it.

also, it does make noise when running. she's just a very quiet runner. she doesn't have annoying hooves that clippity clop every time i run.

also, there is a volume slider for various components. turn it down if it annoys you. or turn it off and you can read all the questing dialog. just because you are personally annoyed doesn't mean that it's a huge issue that needs to be addressed - even if this was considered, it's so minute on the importance of game fixes totem pole.

just goes to show you that you can't please everyone all of the time.
  • deknodekno Member Posts: 181 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    the sound engine they are using in this game is horrible, the echo and the ambience which just tops out every orher sound, like in caves where u have this plate effect of being in a chamber in a sewer. I'm the guy that get annoyed by my fellow tr in dungeons when i use sound cues to keep track of my rotations, most of the time i cant see **** from all the mobs and effects, even if we are both just stacking flurry, sometimes i cant figure out if its my or his flurry animation that went up and i lose track of where i am lol

the second thing, my own footsteps, it has this very short looping set of like 3 footsteps going over and over, i ended up muting the sound completely, i even take my cleric companion in when i ride my mount case she has this shlap shlap shlap sound going after me lol.

the voices was the first thing i turned off, then the ambience, im just left with fx. i wish i could turn off everything but my own sounds and that they fix that annoying footstep looping sound, once u notice it it will bug the hell out of you. I wont mention the howler, cause that just irritates me that they could let something into a game. maybe they have some spesial sound system where this actually sounds goods.

they should use EAX for ambience rather than hardcode them into their soundfiles, at least we would have the option to turn it off then.
  • bcvaporbcvapor Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 285 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Extremely annoying sound. The Howler is my least favorite mount in the game because of the >Bleecchh!!< sound every few seconds.

Hate seeing them around. They look neat though.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • drakonlord56drakonlord56 Member Posts: 104 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Yes they are annoying, but so is my panther. Growl, growl, and more growl. They need to tone down the frequency of their growls.
  • grimahgrimah Member Posts: 1,658 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    lol i love the sounds, id rather hear it make wierd noises than make fairy noises.
    Creator of the featured survival horror foundry: "The Silence of Haydenwick" Video Review
    and also the featured satirical comedic adventure "A Call for Heroes".
  • runebanerunebane Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    If they wanted to, I would think it'd be an easy fix. Just have anyone talking to an NPC (like the auction or mailbox guy) automatically dismount you. Its just one keypress to get back on your mount when your done and ready to take off.

As for the howlers themselves. I bought it. Don't mind the growling to much, but I do try to remember to dismount as I know it irritates others. I kind of wondered why they have them growl a lot instead of, you know... howl. Like I said though, it doesn't bother me much. Just wanted a monstrous looking mount.
    Halgarth's Legacy - NWS-DSTGFZHFR
  • kimoy8520kimoy8520 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I have to agree w/ the title, I unsummoned the howler or use a horse just to get back to my sanity. There's just something w/ the howl.