test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Is knocking monsters off cliffs bannable?

kilios75kilios75 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited June 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
A very common strategy i'm seeing in most T2 dungeons is having a mage or cleric punt monsters off cliffs. Recently a few people have claimed that this is classified as an exploit, and is bannable. Every time its mentioned, it breaks down into a complete argument over whether it is or isnt an exploit and whether its bannable.

I'm seeking clarity on the subject. I really would rather not get banned, nor do i have any intention of exploiting. However, with so many knockback abilities in the game, and tons of dungeons with a ton of cliffs, I can't help but wonder whether using that to your advantage was intended. There are also many many bosses positioned in rooms right at cliffs that can easily be used.

I've also noticed that my only groups that succeed on the harder fights rely on this method. Most of the adds seem to spawn too fast to kill, and the only successful groups i've had have mostly employed this strategy or other things that i consider exploits (terrain where the cleric can't be hit).

Do we have any official responses or information on this? Could we get one? If it's already been answered can someone link me to the reference.

Thanks alot!
Post edited by kilios75 on

Comments

• Options
    lostmarblesherelostmarbleshere Banned Users Posts: 654 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    No if its in the game and they didnt program that you couldnt do so then its not a problem. Thats a no brainer when programming something. So if you can go for it
  • Options
    clortbagsclortbags Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Not an exploit just an overused game mechanic that could have been interesting & fun if the possibility to take advantage of this had been used sparingly.... but the way it is now it's virtually every add in every T2 dungeon except frozen as a CW who would rather not do this continually it just get's very boring very quickly.
  • Options
    kevinf08kevinf08 Member Posts: 432 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    If it was bannable the blue monsters in spellplague wouldn't be allowed to play against us anymore.
  • Options
    skyminderskyminder Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    clortbags wrote: »
    it just get's very boring very quickly.
    Spamming 3 or 4 attacks on trash mobs is super exciting though?

Killing trash in general gets boring very quickly, and you can't do it to bosses so i don't see what the issue is.
  • Options
    vold316vold316 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    They should add a gameplay mechanic to resist it, specially for bosses.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"The harder the game, the better."
  • Options
    clortbagsclortbags Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    skyminder wrote: »
    Spamming 3 or 4 attacks on trash mobs is super exciting though?

Killing trash in general gets boring very quickly, and you can't do it to bosses so i don't see what the issue is.

The issue is that it gets boring continually knocking adds off edges for the benefit of players who have weak builds and can't survive unless this is happening.

Killing trash in general would become more worthwhile if there was a small chance they could drop interesting / useful items.

Are you suggesting that dungeons would be better if they each contained one room with one boss and one chest?
  • Options
    dtrain69dtrain69 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    clortbags wrote: »
    Killing trash in general would become more worthwhile if there was a small chance they could drop interesting / useful items.

As a CW who loves knocking stuff off i would prefer this.
  • Options
    rangurenranguren Member Posts: 4
    edited June 2013
    well, like luring monster to some traps, I guess it just a game mechanic, beside if you do this, you loss item drop so I think it quite ok
  • Options
    pickygamerpickygamer Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Well if it's bannable then they better ban every cw out there since we are pretty much expected to do this in parties.....really not my preferred method but i have to go with majority unfortunately. If they really didnt want the mobs to be punted off cliffs with characters that have a knock back (gwf's, clerics cw's...not sure if TR has one) they should have or would have put an invisible wall or something.
  • Options
    arlacharlach Member Posts: 46
    edited June 2013
    Mobs knock us off cliffs and bridges too. Should they be banned as well? :p
    Obvious answer.
  • Options
    kasuharikasuhari Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I find it funny that the Developer of the game know about it too, like in the Dungeon Caverns of Karrundax they start putting some barrier on the cliff on most of the path so they can't be knock over lol.
  • Options
    todesfaelletodesfaelle Member Posts: 1,370 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I personally believe that this should not be considered as an exploit. It's merely utilizing the environment to a group's advantage.
  • Options
    tormundatormunda Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    If they do not like it the best solution would be to add floors on some of the drops with pathways back to the bridges above.
    That way the mobs would take some damage but not die.
  • Options
    kasuharikasuhari Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    tormunda wrote: »
    If they do not like it the best solution would be to add floors on some of the drops with pathways back to the bridges above.
    That way the mobs would take some damage but not die.

No a better way is to have the Trash Mob actually drop items that is worthy and more copper. Because right now there is no point of killing them so people tend to skip them. But if it actually drop something useful more often and more copper, people will tend to kill them instead of skipping through them. This is why they call it Trash Mob for a reason because they only drop trash and junks that clutter your bag, and the low amount of copper they drop.
  • Options
    tickledpinkstickledpinks Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 276 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    im very bored of it..my qualifications as a CW have been reduced to "Can you sing/punt on command?"
  • Options
    pickygamerpickygamer Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    im very bored of it..my qualifications as a CW have been reduced to "Can you sing/punt on command?"

Lol I couldn't have put it better myself. Im glad im not the only one that feels this way....all my skills and the people are pretty much only concerned with two of them.
  • Options
    tickledpinkstickledpinks Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 276 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    and I know Clerics feel the same way "Astral shield Astral shield""!!..but if clerics don't heal..its cause we weren't sing/punting properly..if a rogue is doing slow dps..well we obviously don't know how to sing/punt.
  • Options
    itheryelitheryel Member Posts: 335 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    It is not an exploit, and working like intented, sadly a little bit to well?...
    Ive foiced my thoughts on this mather a number of times a few weeks back, and it all became a reality.
    Pretty much stated people wouldent require tanks because of this cheese tactic. I agree something has to be done, the most obviues answer would be to allow trash to drop items of significance (maybe blue/green crafting materials at a very low %?)
    Also like mentioned in this thread, a second floor with stairways leading to the top floor, that way it could stil be utilized, but mobs would group up and come back kicking u in the ***.(this would also give tanks a roll in this playstyle, because CW could kick them off, and GF/GWF could wait for them at the stairway? like a chokepoint tank?)

The most disturbing this about this method is exualy what tickledpinks is mentioning, it destroys build diversity and creativity. And if u dont act like a generic mob-pusher, u wil get scolded for trying something new/different wich is very bad for the core game experience of players.

Basicly u get Cheese + Whine , and if u take out the Cheese all ure left with is Whine :(
    Petram Sacram - I am no devine cleric, i am a Gaurdian fighter in disguise with better threat and supportive spells -
  • Options
    talung34talung34 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I am gonna put on my Cryptic hat and figure out a solution for this.

SPAWN MORE ADDS!
  • Options
    propingproping Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I have been knocked off a ledge by mobs many times.
    If they can do it, so can I.
  • Options
    jlanderjlander Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Its not bannable.

Was watching Ellohime's stream yesterday and a Cryptic employee was in the chat and was asked this question. He said its not an exploit so not bannable but they are looking at ways to keep it to a minimum in the future.
  • Options
    okaminosukeokaminosuke Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 155 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    kilios75 wrote: »
    A very common strategy i'm seeing in most T2 dungeons is having a mage or cleric punt monsters off cliffs. Recently a few people have claimed that this is classified as an exploit, and is bannable. Every time its mentioned, it breaks down into a complete argument over whether it is or isnt an exploit and whether its bannable.

I'm seeking clarity on the subject.
    Thanks alot!

Yes, it is bannable. Only once, completely by accident, I pushed ONE mob from a cliff. I instantly realised what a terrible thing I have done, tried to grab him as he falls, I was screaming I'm sorry, but unfortunately game's mechanic did not allow me to grab his hand/claw :( Was so depressed about this but then BAM I was banned...

Ok, now seriously. Pardon my irony but it is clear that most dungeons were made this way so players had this possibility to get rid of mobs by pushing them off. Try to defeat last CN boss with no Arcane Singularity, just by dpsing these hordes of mobs, when for each one that died almost instantly comes another. This is clear that some sort of strategy is required and this strategy is pushing mobs off. Yet, even with this its not a walk-in-the-park fight.